Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Leal posted:

Whats really great is that even after investing all that money and time, then you have to deal with the turbonerds who have long since had everything maxed out and watches the market boards like a loving hawk, so you have to deal with them constantly undercutting you (at no penalty too, you can put an item on the market for free. That needs to be changed cause low effort undercuts like pricing 1 gil lower then you is rampant). Even better is that items you craft will have your name on them, so if you try to undercut someone you just might start getting harassed over it.

I've heard of this thing online games use called 'Ignore' where you can just add someone to a list and you don't get their messages. Is FFXIV so obtuse that they don't have an ignore function in their game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rick_Hunter posted:

I've heard of this thing online games use called 'Ignore' where you can just add someone to a list and you don't get their messages. Is FFXIV so obtuse that they don't have an ignore function in their game?

Of course you can ignore people, it's still stupid that you'd get even one harassing message for trying to sell your fancy video game items.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rick_Hunter posted:

I shouldn't have to be harassed in the first place.

EDIT: Hell, thing dragging every MMO down: The inability to filter whispers to only friends or guildmates. A lot of nerds have lovely things to say, I'd rather not be subjected to them at all.

Leal has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Jan 6, 2015

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

StandardVC10 posted:

Europa Universalis 4: I've played older Paradox games before, I know that random events love to gently caress you over, but come on, having the national bank failure event three times within a few decades is just tedious.

I'm just glad they added the patch that made national disasters monitorable and quantifiable. Nothing like having a peasant's revolt pop up in the middle of a war. At least now I can see if it's about to happen and try to avert it.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

There was no way to, say, craft 5 irons bars at once.

This reminds me of the thing about crafting in Skyrim. My followers, my horse, and I all finally make it to a town with a smelter. We have nearly 200 iron ore all up. Go to the smelter to make iron bars and hey, gently caress you, you have to do each one seperately, one at a time. Why can't I just use the same slider thingy as you use when buying/selling multiples of the same item? Just select iron ore, move the slider all the way to max and hit ok, instantly make a fuckload of bars instead of manually selecting it each loving time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Lotish posted:

Oh drat I didn't realize until you said how very good an idea this is.

http://kotaku.com/far-cry-could-be-going-in-some-crazy-directions-1677586044

quote:

A Far Cry game in remote Alaska about surviving extreme wilderness
A Far Cry game in a futuristic, sci-fi setting on another planet
A Far Cry game set in the Vietnam war during the 1960s
A Far Cry game set in the cocaine trafficking jungles of Peru
A Far Cry game where you can fight against or join vampires
A Far Cry game in the Spaghetti Western style set in the late 19th century Americas
A Far Cry game that is set during a zombie outbreak
Blood Dragon 2: A sequel to Blood Dragon with more Rex Power Colt
A Far Cry game set in a Mad Max style post-apocalyptic world
A Far Cry game in the present day on a Jurassic Park style island of dinosaurs
A Far Cry game based on the world of Shangri-La from Far Cry

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rick_Hunter posted:

Steam indie games are just like any other business that needs capital and you're the venture capitalist. It sucks that it makes you wary but that's really the risk when it comes to indie studios using kickstarter to fund their project. I think the model works but what it needs is more oversight so that less people are scammed and more games are made because they are setting milestones in the development process.

Lol no, that isn't how VC works. When they're successful they get multiple times their investment back, which is how they're able to throw good money down a half dozen rabbit holes at once. Kickstarter/EA/etc give, at best, a 100% return in the form of A Good Game plus maybe some prints or a keychain or in-game item, you can't profit share.

e: nothing against other forms of financing here, mind you, just pointing out that they aren't the same at all.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Game Dev Story again. If you put even a cursory effort into leveling and training your employees there comes a point about halfway through the game (year 10) where everything you touch turns to gold with no action on your part. By year 10 I essentially have infinite money, and don't even use my boosts at all anymore and still Hall of Fame everything I put out.

It kind of kills the momentum and made me lose interest.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I've recently gotten into Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and while overall I really like it, there are some huge issues. One of the biggest? Charm tables. When you create a character you get assigned a charm table that controls which charms drop for you. Charms are pretty hugely important, and some of the tables are bad. As in so terrible that they're referred to as "cursed tables" on a bunch of different websites.

Is it mentioned anywhere in the game? No.
Is it something you can fix after you've played for a while? No.
Does it have a significant effect on the game? Yes.
Is it for some reason connected to fishing? Yes.

I learned about it after like fifty hours of playing and luckily have a decent table, but how is this a mechanic in a game from this decade.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Speaking of fishing...

HEY JAPAN. WE GET IT. YOUR NATION IS A SERIES OF ISLANDS AND FISHING IS IMPORTANT TO YOUR CULTURE. BUT NOT EVERY GAME NEEDS A loving FISHING MINIGAME. THEY'RE ALWAYS AWFUL.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Fighting the Metal Gear RAYs in MGS2 is like setting up 5 separate copies of Zelda and then having them all make the "low health" siren. The constant beeping is absolutely maddening.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Elysiume posted:

Charm tables.

I wonder how many games there are that pull that kind of poo poo. Specifically, using a hidden drop table based on a hidden ID that you cannot in any way influence. Any others known (so I can avoid them)?

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
You can totally influence the charm tables.

It's based on your save file creation time, because as a hardcore gamer I make sure to read every gamefaq thread about a game before I even start it up.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Xythe posted:

You can totally influence the charm tables.

It's based on your save file creation time, because as a hardcore gamer I make sure to read every gamefaq thread about a game before I even start it up.
That's why I said you can't do it after the fact. A large group of people likely don't even know charm tables exist, and a larger group probably didn't find out until they'd sunk a lot of time into the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Elysiume posted:

That's why I said you can't do it after the fact. A large group of people likely don't even know charm tables exist, and a larger group probably didn't find out until they'd sunk a lot of time into the game.

That was the joke, you goof.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

poptart_fairy posted:

That was the joke, you goof.
Yeah I sort of missed that because you actually can influence it, even if it's a weird workaround. Some games you can just randomly get assigned a lovely path, and nothing (not even dumb bs) can fix it. Take Dishonored, where the charms are spread out randomly, meaning that the few useful charms can be endgame, and every early game charm is some garbage. I'm tired, sue me :saddowns:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The charm tables in MH3U are bugged, you're supposed to generate a new seed and thus pull from a new charm table whenever you load the game. Instead it assigns you a table at character creation and you're stuck with it, which is extremely lovely. Later (and earlier!) entries in the series actually work properly when it comes to that.

Actual thing dragging a game down: Wasteland 2 if you could make the object highlight outlines a little fainter and harder to pick out that would be great. And make more of them light yellow on predominately orange and reddish backgrounds.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I got Mario Sticker Star for Christmas. Goddamn, this game is tedious as gently caress.

The worst thing right now is that goddamn crown sticker popping up every three seconds to tell me poo poo I already have figured out. Piss off, you Navi wannabe.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Sociopastry posted:

I got Mario Sticker Star for Christmas. Goddamn, this game is tedious as gently caress.

The worst thing right now is that goddamn crown sticker popping up every three seconds to tell me poo poo I already have figured out. Piss off, you Navi wannabe.

Yeah. It's no where near as enjoyable as the first two. It's pretty much Paper Mario, with all the best parts ripped out and shredded for good measure.

It's still an enjoyable game, there are some good things combat wise (not being able to select targets is not one of them) and the visuals, and music are nice but its just miles behind every other Paper Mario game.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Pretty much, yeah. I think my mom got it because I used to play Super Mario RPG when I was a kid. It's a nice thought, but goddamn this game is not very fun.

On the plus side, I got a bunch of other games that are amazing, so all's well.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I've been playing Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm: Revolution, and it's pretty good for what is blatantly a stopgap between "main" games in the series, but there's some dumb issues.

There's still a ton of character slot bloat, where multiple versions of the same person occupy more than one slot. The bizarre thing is that sometimes different versions of a character are in one slot, so they clearly can do that, but they refuse to do it consistently for some reason. Also, I wish they'd do away with support-only characters entirely and promote them all to full playable status.

Also, they're really averse to giving old characters new ultimate jutsu. Pretty much every character in Naruto's age group except himself, Sasuke, and Sakura has had the same ultimate since they first appeared in Storm 2 (4 games ago), and it's getting a little embarassing now. Especially considering how much better the newer ultimate jutsu cutscenes look in comparison.

Finally, they added the ability to equip accessories to your character, which would be great except most of the cool ones are restricted to certain characters.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

scarycave posted:

Yeah. It's no where near as enjoyable as the first two. It's pretty much Paper Mario, with all the best parts ripped out and shredded for good measure.

It's still an enjoyable game, there are some good things combat wise (not being able to select targets is not one of them) and the visuals, and music are nice but its just miles behind every other Paper Mario game.

Given this is Nintendo we're talking about, who are (perhaps hyperbolically) known for treading the same ground over and over again, I think we can respect the Paper Mario devs for constantly doing something new.

...But seriously, of any Nintendo series, Paper Mario is the one that really needs to go back to its roots, do those first two right again, and then just stick with it. We had two absolutely stellar games, that were at the same time simple and really intricate, propping up a fantastically charming world, which we then lost completely to experimentation. The world deserves another Thousand-Year Door, but we're not getting it, from Nintendo or anyone else.

I feel much the same way about Megaman Battle Network; the thing dragging Battle Network down is that I can't throw money at anyone to get more games like it. At least with that, I've got six of them to go back to.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:26 on Jan 6, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Given this is Nintendo we're talking about, who are (perhaps hyperbolically) known for treading the same ground over and over again, I think we can respect the Paper Mario devs for constantly doing something new.

...But seriously, of any Nintendo series, Paper Mario is the one that really needs to go back to its roots, do those first two right again, and then just stick with it. We had two absolutely stellar games, that were at the same time simple and really intricate, propping up a fantastically charming world, which we then lost completely to experimentation. The world deserves another Thousand-Year Door, but we're not getting it, from Nintendo or anyone else.

I feel much the same way about Megaman Battle Network; the thing dragging Battle Network down is that I can't throw money at anyone to get more games like it. At least with that, I've got six of them to go back to.

Yeah, everyone's free to complain about Nintendo doing the same thing over and over again but really I can't give a poo poo. I just want some more good turn-based paper JRPG to play. Maybe stop doing it mostly exactly the same and have a buzzy beetle instead of a koopa for a party member? Or stick a chain chomp in for a change. Y'know mix it up a bit.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

princecoo posted:

This reminds me of the thing about crafting in Skyrim. My followers, my horse, and I all finally make it to a town with a smelter. We have nearly 200 iron ore all up. Go to the smelter to make iron bars and hey, gently caress you, you have to do each one seperately, one at a time. Why can't I just use the same slider thingy as you use when buying/selling multiples of the same item? Just select iron ore, move the slider all the way to max and hit ok, instantly make a fuckload of bars instead of manually selecting it each loving time.

It's funny too because if you're smelting dwarven scrap metal, it allows you to make multiple ingots out of that by default (because there's so much metal) so you know it can be done. Stuff like that is why most people recommend it on PC, just for the mods that add features that should have been in the base game in the first place.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In Dragon Age Inquisition, you can only buy things one at a time. Normally that's fine, becuase you're not going to be buying but one schematic for something, or one sword. But if you want to buy herbs (which you need both for making potions, grenades and tonic and need in much larger quantities for upgrading them) you may want to buy several dozen, so you're just hammering the button until you have enough.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The thing dragging down Far Cry 4 are the unskippable cutscenes, especially on a second playthrough. Jesus Christ I don't loving give a poo poo about what you people have to say, just point me in the direction of who to shoot and let me get to it. Talk to me on the radio if you want to exposit dialog, I'm fine with that! Just don't make me sit around for six minutes to listen to you prattle on.

Also the loot but serves no purpose other than to halt my awesome jungle adventure and either hope a wandering merchant is nearby or fast travel back somewhere. It's not so bad once you craft bigger loot bags but even then it fills up quickly and I hate having to drop some junk so I can harvest some green leaves because I have to waste a syringe to heal one bar of health.

I want to love you, FC4, but you make it hard!

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I love Xenosaga III but there's this one dungeon where every 15 seconds, you hear a woman on the intercom say "If you have seen the pilot of Omega Res Novae, please contact security immediately." Had to mute my TV over that.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

Whats really great is that even after investing all that money and time, then you have to deal with the turbonerds who have long since had everything maxed out and watches the market boards like a loving hawk, so you have to deal with them constantly undercutting you (at no penalty too, you can put an item on the market for free. That needs to be changed cause low effort undercuts like pricing 1 gil lower then you is rampant). Even better is that items you craft will have your name on them, so if you try to undercut someone you just might start getting harassed over it.

One gil undercutting is nothing.

Electrum ingots went from 2500+ down to barely 300 gil on my server they undercut each other so badly. It still hasn't recovered. I'm talking stacks I used to get over 100k for don't even cover the cost of materials anymore. Almost every craftable thing other than endgame has suffered the same for some reason.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

Speaking of fishing...

HEY JAPAN. WE GET IT. YOUR NATION IS A SERIES OF ISLANDS AND FISHING IS IMPORTANT TO YOUR CULTURE. BUT NOT EVERY GAME NEEDS A loving FISHING MINIGAME. THEY'RE ALWAYS AWFUL.

Look at this screaming idiot that's never played the breath of fire games.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

One gil undercutting is nothing.

Electrum ingots went from 2500+ down to barely 300 gil on my server they undercut each other so badly. It still hasn't recovered. I'm talking stacks I used to get over 100k for don't even cover the cost of materials anymore. Almost every craftable thing other than endgame has suffered the same for some reason.

This sounds like every MMORPG, it's always better to sell raw materials rather than anything crafted.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Thoughtless posted:

This sounds like every MMORPG, it's always better to sell raw materials rather than anything crafted.

That's the weird thing, even the raw materials were undercut into oblivion. The stuff to make the ingots? Used to be around 500-800 a piece, and you'd need several pieces sometimes to make the ingot. Now? Barely even 100-200.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

MindlessHavok posted:

Not sure about the others, but the fishing minigame in BoF2 was pretty boring. Although, not nearly as boring as spending an hour having your village chef cook frisbee stew over and over so you could max your strength with every character.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
What dragging Game Dev Tycoon down is the fact that the review scores are directly based on your previous games score. This means a 8/10 game will make your next game into a 5/10 even if it have the very latest design technology and all the the very best game developers as well. So the only way to get high scores is to poo poo out poo poo games for a while so the next game will be getting 10/10. It also annoying how you have to start in 1985 every time you start the game. I want to start at anytime I want!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Thoughtless posted:

EVE Online. :colbert:

If there's few barriers to getting the raw materials other than time, it makes sense that they would crash fast if there's a surplus of supply over demand.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

A game made in 2014 and Dragon Age Inquisition still makes you jog around the hubworld (Skyhold or Haven) to get to certain characters or things you want. There are quick travel points but replace the walking with loading. There are a few areas separate from the hub, like the loving crafting area of all things, that make you sit through a 20 second load screen. Great.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Celery Face posted:

I love Xenosaga III but there's this one dungeon where every 15 seconds, you hear a woman on the intercom say "If you have seen the pilot of Omega Res Novae, please contact security immediately." Had to mute my TV over that.

In Final Fantasy X there's a dungeon where there's a guy shouting...something over the intercom constantly. For the life of me all I hear is "An Annoying oval office" forever. In 13 there's a huge climactic dungeon where you go to beat up an old man/futurepope and throughout most of it there's a loud annoying warning siren going. Both of these sounds continue through cutscenes too.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I wonder how many games there are that pull that kind of poo poo. Specifically, using a hidden drop table based on a hidden ID that you cannot in any way influence. Any others known (so I can avoid them)?

Only similar thing I can think of would be the IDs in the first PSO, which were completely controllable. They were based on your name and controlled what items dropped for you. Some items only dropped for some ID colors, and some ID colors got nothing good. The end result was a lot of people with gibberish named characters just so they could get specific items that had 0.00001 drop rates from rare monsters, if they had four people playing with them.

And since I played a lot of PSO, what dragged that game down was everything about its drop system, but most notably the ability to steal items. You see, if you all killed whatever rainbow penguin was there it would drop exactly one item. Whoever got there first could pick it up and everyone else could get hosed. People stole items they didn't need and didn't want just to be assholes, and some classes were much better at being able to clear a whole room in one attack and pick up all the items than others so you were kind of screwed if you were a melee class.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Jan 7, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JebanyPedal posted:

A game made in 2014 and Dragon Age Inquisition still makes you jog around the hubworld (Skyhold or Haven) to get to certain characters or things you want. There are quick travel points but replace the walking with loading. There are a few areas separate from the hub, like the loving crafting area of all things, that make you sit through a 20 second load screen. Great.

Not being able to craft at any time when you're in a "safe" area (camps, forts, HQ) is really bullshit. Leave the actual areas to explore and look pretty but don't make me do busy work so that I can make equipment necessary to be effective at combat.

Underpowered Unique level weapons and armor also bring down the game. Especially since a lot of them look really cool.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

MindlessHavok posted:

Why would I when I could play good games instead? :smug:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Screaming Idiot posted:

Speaking of fishing...

I've always felt the same way about minigames. I don't mind having them in a game as a 100% optional distraction, but when the developer forces you to play them as part of the regular game playthrough (I'm looking at you, Red Dead Redemption and GTA 5) it does get irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Why would I when I could play good games instead? :smug:

Pictured: poor taste in JRPGs

BOI had the best fishing games, which is the opposite of dragging something down. What they did have was annoyingly obtuse ability trainers. BOI III was the worst for this, it took too much drat effort to get the best abilities for Ryu. :mad: