Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Orbital tears are rad when you combine them with another item that changes the way they fire like Technology, because then you get a laser that spins around you before firing straight off. I never had much use for orbital tears without synergizing though.

edit: Orbital tears is also good (situationally) with items that increase their damage or speed or range the longer they're in the air. Since they fly around you for a long rear end time they can pick up a ton of speed or extra damage from it. And if you have a type of tears that make them pass through objects you can just hold down any fire button and have a constant circle of tears that can only be destroyed by hitting enemies.

My favorite orbital tears run was where I also had Death's Touch and Tech 0 so I was constantly surrounded by a cloud of scythes with lightning arcing between them. But yeah, most of the time I would ignore that item.

The thing dragging Isaac down for me now is that drat 31 daily runs achievement standing between me and 100%. There's no progress bar or anything so I have no idea how long I have left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

I dipped back into Jedi: Fallen Order and on a PS4, running from the HD (well, an external drive) there's a huge amount of stuttering and frame drops on one specific cutscene on Kashyyk. Nothing around it, the big elaborate setpiece where you're driving an AT-AT and blowing up soldiers runs fine, the action after runs fine, just that one scene had me thinking they were somehow overclocking my console.

And this is just after it downloaded a patch.
I had some really weird performance troubles like this on PC. It would just routinely go into a lengthy slideshow, not even when loading stuff, and often in cutscenes. This was pre-patching but there seem to be some really odd issues with the game under the hood, my PC's getting on a bit but the only game that's done similar things is AC Odyssey and I feel like it has slightly more to load and process.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 - I was hoping for more... fanfare, I suppose, when I started to invade the Eye of Terror. It's just generic Chaos fleets, even when you're hitting the daemon homeworlds of the Traitor Legions. None of the Traitor Primarchs look up to see the Great Devourer coming for their worlds, none are sending their flagships to spice up the battles, they're just... more battles against Chaos, presumably until I unlock the battle with Abbadon and the Vengeful Spirit. I would have thought invading the Eye of Terror would be at least a little different from eating any other sector.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I dread any game which locks upgrades behind a challenge room, like Devil May Cry 5 or DOOM. I hate having to jump through hoops to get poo poo ever since I cheated past those loving awful challenges in Just Cause 3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I dread any game which locks upgrades behind a challenge room, like Devil May Cry 5 or DOOM. I hate having to jump through hoops to get poo poo ever since I cheated past those loving awful challenges in Just Cause 3.

That reminds me of Dante's Inferno where they ran out of ideas for circles of Hell and a good chunk of them are mandatory challenge rooms.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

That reminds me of Dante's Inferno where they ran out of ideas for circles of Hell and a good chunk of them are mandatory challenge rooms.

sounds on brand for hell to me

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My main problem with hiding upgrades like that is when the challenge is broken, like in World to the West - all the characters have health upgrades that they find using their unique abilities that only they can get to, however one health upgrade for one character is broken, because a monster that's supposed to spawn so she can mind-control it doesn't spawn so the puzzle is unsolveable. It was never fixed.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

While it's not something I've played I find the game Hello Neighbour baffling. It is, by all accounts, a shite game that looks like rear end, plays like jank, and tries desperately to be a bit with the kiddos like Freddy Fazbear. Yet despite being a complete non-entity it has a load of professionally merchandise like a tie-in novel, a cartoon pilot, and a boxed physical release.

It's bizarre that some crowd is sinking a ton of money in the hope of making some weird looking guy with a paedophile mustache into a bankable franchise. I've can't remember this level of astro-turfinb for a middling game before.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a testament to just how far you can coast on the barest premise of "run away from the guy he's gonna getcha". It's popular with kids I'd assume because of some combination of their favorite social media entertainer playing it on stream/youtube, and also the game itself being a concept kids enjoy: You're doing something you're not supposed to do (exploring spooky house) and if the authority figure (neighbor, hello) finds you then you're in trouble (he will do unspeakable things to you that may involve murder). Also you play as a kid which is actually getting rarer in games these days.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:11 on Jun 3, 2020

XA Shere
Apr 18, 2019
A or B?
drat this test is hard.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It did spawn a much better game in the "franchise": Secret Neighbor. It's one of those "one player on the team is actually the villain", where the goal is to search the creepy house to get keys to unlock the basement. One of the kids is actually the eldritch monstrosity Neighbor hiding its form, and it can only grab someone while not disguised. The Neighbor couldn't be permanently killed, and it could copy the appearance and nameplate of another player. So you have the real kids slowly getting picked off, with the building suspense of the fact that any of the remaining kids could transform and murder you at any point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fME1ixqI7Oo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

It's popular with kids I'd assume because of some combination of their favorite social media entertainer playing it on stream/youtube,

My plan to escape retail hell is to make a game that is just opaque enough for matpat to make videos on and then ride that poo poo out.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm playing Mortal Kombat 9 on Steam and the pre-rendered cutscenes have the audio-encoding messed up so there's digital distortion on everything. It sucks and it's apparently been a decade without a fix.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The FF15 prerendered cutscenes have mixed 5.1 tracks that only play L and R if you enable Spatial Audio on headphones. I thought I was watching a flashback for a full minute when I was only getting the dialogue reverb with a character speaking off-camera.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Not so much a game as a client but Steam updated today and suddenly the chat window font size is bigger. And can't be changed, as far as my research has found.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

While it's not something I've played I find the game Hello Neighbour baffling. It is, by all accounts, a shite game that looks like rear end, plays like jank, and tries desperately to be a bit with the kiddos like Freddy Fazbear. Yet despite being a complete non-entity it has a load of professionally merchandise like a tie-in novel, a cartoon pilot, and a boxed physical release.

It's bizarre that some crowd is sinking a ton of money in the hope of making some weird looking guy with a paedophile mustache into a bankable franchise. I've can't remember this level of astro-turfinb for a middling game before.

I was just thinking about this the other day. I haven’t seen a single positive review or a single actually good product come out of this apparent series, but it’s still grasping to life through some means.

Also the gameplay is actual garbage. As in, I need to look the solution up on the internet because my next step is so convoluted or nonsensical.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ruffian Price posted:

The FF15 prerendered cutscenes have mixed 5.1 tracks that only play L and R if you enable Spatial Audio on headphones. I thought I was watching a flashback for a full minute when I was only getting the dialogue reverb with a character speaking off-camera.

Speaking of prerendered cutscenes and Final Fantasy.
I can't wait for FFVII:RE to hit pc, and the 'seamless' cutscene and gameplay content is no longer seamless or fitting once it goes up against different quality settings, resolutions, and aspect ratios.

Really looking forwards to
*Dramatic cutscene in 16:9, with large pillarboxes*
*suddenly the image snaps over to 21:9 with a transitional effect intended to hide the transition as it begins rendering ingame.*
And then maybe the cutscenes end up being 30fps, while the gameplay ends up being 120, etc etc etc.

Prerendered cinematics using (primarily) ingame assets are so loving tedious on PC, and I'll always prefer a game that can just do that poo poo ingame.
(Doesn't help that they're a huge source of size bloat in games either.)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SubNat posted:

Speaking of prerendered cutscenes and Final Fantasy.
I can't wait for FFVII:RE to hit pc, and the 'seamless' cutscene and gameplay content is no longer seamless or fitting once it goes up against different quality settings, resolutions, and aspect ratios.

They're not seamless now - the pre-rendered cutscenes in FFVII:RE look noticeably worse than the real-time ones.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

...and there's a massive framedrop every time they switch back to the game. I thought I was going nuts reading the Digital Foundry report talking up the seamlessness, impossible that they haven't noticed this. Guess it's still all advertising.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ruffian Price posted:

...and there's a massive framedrop every time they switch back to the game. I thought I was going nuts reading the Digital Foundry report talking up the seamlessness, impossible that they haven't noticed this. Guess it's still all advertising.

Didn't they give CIG an olive-oil handjob when they made a video on Star Citizen?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Didn't they give CIG an olive-oil handjob when they made a video on Star Citizen?

Absolutely.

Necrothatcher posted:

They're not seamless now - the pre-rendered cutscenes in FFVII:RE look noticeably worse than the real-time ones.

Ruffian Price posted:

Amazing.
The game really never ceases to amaze me on the technical end.
Have they atleast fixed that 'large chunks of the later game load in textures at a fraction the texture res' issue, or did that turn out to not actually be a bug at all? I remember hearing that one come up as an issue a couple times.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Dear every PC game with controller support:

I've played you for half an hour or more, interacting with you entirely with a mouse and keyboard. So why is it that you think it's appropriate now that I've been hit for the first time to suddenly trigger my controller to rumble with an intensity usually reserved for an overclocked Sybian, causing it to vibrate off of my computer case and onto the floor with a clatter, startling the cat?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Breetai posted:

I've played you for half an hour or more, interacting with you entirely with a mouse and keyboard. So why is it that you think it's appropriate now that I've been hit for the first time to suddenly trigger my controller to rumble with an intensity usually reserved for an overclocked Sybian, causing it to vibrate off of my computer case and onto the floor with a clatter, startling the cat?

Usually because those games are set up to allow swapping between controller and M+KB on demand, so they basically keep both input devices active and registering their keys at all times.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

And also, scaring cats is funny.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Playing Dark Soul 3 again with a friend. Jesus loving christ the camera and lock-on in this game is complete garbage. I also don't like that I can get invaded in the first area by a guy with at least ten estus, despite the fact this should be impossible?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bushmaori posted:

Playing Dark Soul 3 again with a friend. Jesus loving christ the camera and lock-on in this game is complete garbage. I also don't like that I can get invaded in the first area by a guy with at least ten estus, despite the fact this should be impossible?

10 charges should actually be impossible, are you playing on PC?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Captain Hygiene posted:

And also, scaring cats is funny.

Pushka doesn't like you. :mad:

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

10 charges should actually be impossible, are you playing on PC?

I am, and that's the point. Shouldn't basic cheat detection pickup that as in instant cheat?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Breetai posted:

On that note, that reminds me of a weird thing I noticed with Streets of Rage 4. Every other game I play on PC with my X360 controller has the rumble perfectly normal and functional. But SoR4 somehow amps the intensity way too high and it feels and sounds like the drat thing is about to tear itself apart at any moment.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Been chugging through the NG+ of the surge 2

It's pretty cool knowing what to do and just demolishing enemies with your now acquired endgame knowledge

To counter this the game plops down endgame enemies at random points as if to remind you that you are indeed playing new game plus

The enemies are rather difficult (duh) but also split themselves in two immediately upon engagement, and if you don't kill both quickly enough the remaining one will spilt again to try and keep a sort of status quo of two high level enemies in the immediate fight

It's just frustrating and a poor attempt at making NG+ More "fun" by adding additional , tougher, annoying enemies

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jestery posted:

It's pretty cool knowing what to do and just demolishing enemies with your now acquired endgame knowledge

To counter this the game plops down endgame enemies at random points as if to remind you that you are indeed playing new game plus

The enemies are rather difficult (duh) but also split themselves in two immediately upon engagement, and if you don't kill both quickly enough the remaining one will spilt again to try and keep a sort of status quo of two high level enemies in the immediate fight

It's just frustrating and a poor attempt at making NG+ More "fun" by adding additional , tougher, annoying enemies

Yeah, they were a real downside and frankly made certain sections a chore. I much preferred the patchwork enemies in The Surge 1 because on the one hand they were REALLY tough, but defeating them once removed them permanently so it wasn't a case of having to constantly slog through an arbitrarily long and difficult fight every freaking time you entered a certain area.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Mafia 3

You have to play the lock breaking minigame roughly 300 times for no real reason. It's almost trivial (I haven't failed once), but requires attention (rotate analog stick to the right direction -> press button -> press button at the right time) and takes like ten seconds every time. Most of the doors that hide collectibles are locked, but there's almost never anyone who would care about you breaking in.

It's just such pointless busywork in a game that already has tons of content.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jestery posted:

Splitting enemies are the absolute pits, unless they also split the remaining HP between the two new enemies. So at least damage dealt to an enemy isn't just completely negated because a new one spawned, now that enemy's going to take like 2 fewer hits to take down.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I also dislike the way that The Surge 2 handles Implants in NG+. Sure, making it so that any implant you picked up in your first playthrough gives you a buttload of tech scrap rather than a copy of the implant probably makes the game more 'balanced', but part of the beauty of NG+(++) in The Surge was being able to stack 4 of the same top-tier endgame implants together and create hilariously overspecialized joke builds.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I really hated the fact that enemy damage was so high in the Surge 1. Regardless of armour enemies could stagger and swipe 90% of your health in the one hit, rendering the defence stat near useless.. It honestly felt like some trollish developer put a x2 modifier on enemy damage as a joke. If the damage was more balanced the review scores would have been two points higher.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played Surge 2 recently and it was fine. Great level design, the shortcuts and looping paths were DS1 level (albeit more self contained).

Combat was a lot of fun but not quite up there with Sekiro (which I'd compare it to more than Souls, given the speed and focus on parrying). Which isn't a fair comparison I know, but I guess that's the problem with Soulslike games - they're clones of something that set the bar really loving high and is still going higher.

Everything else kind of sucked or was mediocre at best. Was a lot of fun for the low price of a game pass subscription but can't really imagine playing it again.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I really hated the fact that enemy damage was so high in the Surge 1. Regardless of armour enemies could stagger and swipe 90% of your health in the one hit, rendering the defence stat near useless.. It honestly felt like some trollish developer put a x2 modifier on enemy damage as a joke. If the damage was more balanced the review scores would have been two points higher.

Yeah, that's one thing I remember as a fault of the game. While after facing the enemies a few times I'd pretty much know how to avoid their attacks/bait them to open up easy enough, when I messed up I'd just automatically use a heal implant since whatever damage they did was usually enough to warrant it (ie half your HP or more).

So while eventually it feels very good to clown on those leaping security robots and the like, until you realize how obvious their AI is they're just frustratingly terrifying (and when you're panicking it's kind of hard to learn how they work).

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
I started playing Kingdom Hearts 3 and the user interface is tiny. Like for ants tiny. I literally cannot read it from the couch.
It's like how years ago when in the transition stage from SD to HD playing an HD game on a SD-TV made most interfaces tiny.
I admit I am still using a 'hd ready' tv which is years old and a 1st gen PS4. So I'm kind of wondering if this is a similar situation and the game is meant to be viewed on a 2k or 4k monitor. Is that a thing?

Because if it's not and this is intended then that sucks even more than the convoluted storyline Kingdom Hearts turned out to be. This is not a "I need glasses" issue. It really is absurdly tiny compared to the rest of the screen.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I picked up PSO2 and ignoring the absolute poo poo show that the Microsoft store proved to be it also has some annoying gameplay elements.

I’m playing a Ranger (dude with a gun) and a lot of my DPS comes from hitting enemy weak points. The problem is I’m playing on a controller so I rely most of the time on the auto lock, but each boss has what feels to be 20 targetable spots on them, not counting any misc enemies that are running around. I’ve lost count of how many stun cycles I’ve missed due to fighting with the lock system.

Also there is way too much inventory management in that game, I’m glad I play with a group that actually tries to min-max so I can just show up and have them do the heavy lifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Qwezz posted:

I admit I am still using a 'hd ready' tv which is years old and a 1st gen PS4. So I'm kind of wondering if this is a similar situation and the game is meant to be viewed on a 2k or 4k monitor. Is that a thing?
HD Ready TVs had a problem with UIs since the 360/PS3 era, as they would take your 1080p input, trim the edges off (overscan is why devs still have to consider "safe" edges for interface elements and the Switch will let you scale the entire output) and reduce the rest to fit the 1366x768 panel, losing 25% of the information. Smaller fonts are made illegible even if you get closer to the screen.
It might be entirely possible that the studio didn't even have a TV like this to test the game with - oftentimes it's outside QAs that use actual consumer setups, while bugs in production get found out on computer monitors and headphones