Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

I know I've complained about this before, but Jesus gently caress, why are games so goddamned dark, even when I've got the brightness jacked up all the way? I'm playing Dead Rising 4, and the brightness setting wants the zombie on the left to be barely visible. I turned the brightness to max, and still couldn't see the goddamn zombie.

Tiggum posted:

Are you sure your monitor works properly?

if it were off he could see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

I also hate how the PS4 gets to dictate what you can and can't screenshot or stream. Thanks, namco, I wanted to show my friends how cool Gundam Breaker was because they'd never heard of it, but I guess I won't because I literally can't. Real cool of you.
Yeah it's stupid, especially the reason they usually give as an excuse (protecting the sanctity of your precious JRPG plot from evil people posting spoilers). Because people who want the clicks from posting gameplay leaks / spoilers don't already have specialized equipment that records video output directly, no Sir. But sure, gently caress over regular players who just want to take cool screenshots for themselves or to show their friends :argh:

Persona 5 basically blocks the capture functions for the entire game because ~spoilers~, this was never patched out so I guess it's really important people can't be spoiled 3+ years after release. And in Persona 5 Royal they apparently lifted the lockout until you reach the new content.

It's alright if used to prevent credit card/account data from being stolen or even to protect pre-release versions of a game. But some devs (often Japanese ones for some reason) go way overboard and use it whenever they can.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's not a game so much as a console in its entirety, but I am irrationally upset that PS4 screen captures include notification overlays, even the ones that tell you that you just took a screen capture. So you spend a lot of time either loving up captures or sitting around waiting for notifications to disappear. How on earth did they screw that up, even Nintendo has figured out you can make notifications separate from what's saved from the screen.

You can turn off the screen capture notifications in the options menu.

e: and the disabled screenshots in Persona 5 meant I never played it. I take a tonne of screenshots and use them as randomised desktop wallpaper - by this point I tap the share button instinctively when something cool happens and I know not being able to would drive me crazy.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 08:35 on Jul 1, 2020

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Copyright was a mistake.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Tiggum posted:

TV works just fine, some games are just dark as poo poo. Could very well be a problem with my vision, too.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I wish Geralt would stop deciding to meditate in a cutscene right before every monster fight, thus erasing my buffs and forcing me to chug potions while a ghost tries to stab me.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
I'm a little disappointed that the FF7 remake changed the context of the reactor bombing.

In the original game the group of protagonists actively blew up the reactor, knowing it would kill a lot of innocent people in the process. The PC was detached about this because hey, he was just a mercenary.

In the remake the "bombing" is now a false flag operation performed by the company, SHINRA, to turn people against the protagonists. The actual attack on the reactor would have simply destroyed a very specific bit to render it useless.

By itself this isn't a problem as such, but a significant part of character growth later in the game comes from that group's leader, Barret, grappling with how much change he was enacting versus the lives he took. He gets angry at himself that he could so easily rationalise "killing people in their sleep" to justify his actions, even though it was ultimately pointless - SHINRA could easily rebuild, but those lives could not be replaced. Barret accepts the sheer weight of this responsibility and atonement is a significant motivator from then on in.

The remake hasn't got to the point in the story where Barret goes through that, but I'm a little miffed they've taken the edge off of him. SHINRA was unquestionably an awful, terrible company, but demonstrating Barret wasn't virtuous just because he opposed them was a great bit of detail.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Tiggum posted:

My monitor, by default, has its colour settings set to Limited, so everything can be valued from 16-255. This makes heavy blacks look gray and washed out, so I enabled Full, which is 0-255. It makes things look proper again, but also has the side effect of every single video game being absurdly dark most of the time. I've lost count of the number of games with the "adjust slider" mechanic where even at full brightness I can't see the image. Games are too dark.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In AssCreed: Origins you can avenge other players who has been killed. It's neat, but there's no way of knowing if your death has been avenged.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Alhazred posted:

In AssCreed: Origins you can avenge other players who has been killed. It's neat, but there's no way of knowing if your death has been avenged.

Just like real life

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

I know I've complained about this before, but Jesus gently caress, why are games so goddamned dark, even when I've got the brightness jacked up all the way? I'm playing Dead Rising 4, and the brightness setting wants the zombie on the left to be barely visible. I turned the brightness to max, and still couldn't see the goddamn zombie. I don't know how the hell anyone actually plays games at the recommended setting, they can't actually be able to see anything.

This is a display problem or you’re playing near too much sunlight

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Nuebot posted:

I also hate how the PS4 gets to dictate what you can and can't screenshot or stream. Thanks, namco, I wanted to show my friends how cool Gundam Breaker was because they'd never heard of it, but I guess I won't because I literally can't. Real cool of you.

I have never wanted to screenshot a game on PS4; so it's just annoying when a game hits its climax, and I get a notification on my screen - "Hey bud... you uh... can't take any screenshots of this awesome moment. Just saying"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The whole thing is stupid because it doesn't actually stop someone who is a serious streamer. It just stops the casual player who isn't the person they wanted to block in the first place.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's funny how the PS4's auto-screenshot feature for trophies is often completely out of sync with what's happening in-game so that when I look back at my achievements most of them are just blank loading screens.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

JackSplater posted:

My monitor, by default, has its colour settings set to Limited, so everything can be valued from 16-255. This makes heavy blacks look gray and washed out, so I enabled Full, which is 0-255. It makes things look proper again, but also has the side effect of every single video game being absurdly dark most of the time. I've lost count of the number of games with the "adjust slider" mechanic where even at full brightness I can't see the image. Games are too dark.

You're not supposed to use full rgb/dynamic range unless you're also using hdr or are playing on a real television. Using full rgb on an incompatible display is the reason you're having this problem, a monitor usually can't output deep/rich colors and so everything will look dark.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Jul 1, 2020

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It's funny how the PS4's auto-screenshot feature for trophies is often completely out of sync with what's happening in-game so that when I look back at my achievements most of them are just blank loading screens.

Has Overwatch fixed this for its Play of the Game re-cap videos? Used to be whenever the turret guy got it (which he did loads when I played) the video would give you 30 seconds of him bumbling around in some corridor while his turrent massacres half the team on the other side of the map.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is a very good game but the difficulty and setting are all over the place. About two hours in there is a massive difficulty spike in a very interesting area (made less interesting by the necessary grinding) followed by an hour of bland nonsense that's so easy you can tape down the attack button for an hour.

Anyway still worth it for an Eli Roth/David Lynch earthbound remake.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of PS4, there's no rhyme or reason to if it decides it will or will not download a game or update while in rest mode.

I have all the setting correct for it to do so, yet whenever a game has an update, it has to do it when I turn it on, not during the many, many hours or DAYS, sometimes, it was in rest mode after the update was released.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
In Injustice 2, each player has 2 health bars. When the first one gets depleted, the character will fall flat on the ground, then hop back up to fight again. When the second one is depleted, they drop down to a knee.

I know it's dumb but it always bugs me that those two animations aren't reversed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nuebot posted:

It's funny when that happens using SHAREfactory. Like you don't want me to record a clip of my other clip while it renders? I mean, ok I wasn't planning on doing that anyway chum but if I was able to record the clip originally who are you to say the recording is now restricted?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maxwell Lord posted:

If you can take cruder 2.5-D graphics and fewer frills I'd look into Fire Pro Wrestling World, also on Steam. It does a much better job of capturing the ebb and flow of a wrestling match, though the mechanics (focused on grapple timing) aren't to everyone's taste.
I just tried this and I don't know if the tutorial is just really bad or if it's accurate to actually playing the game, but getting the right timing to do anything seems to be insane. Moves that require you to time two things correctly in a row are practically impossible for me. And the tutorial is absurdly bad. Like, doesn't even tell you which button is which bad. Gives no feedback when you gently caress up, just makes you try again. It's basically just putting you up against an unresponsive opponent and going "Just do the thing. No, you did it wrong. Do it right this time, idiot."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Four-Eyes posted:

I'm a little disappointed that the FF7 remake changed the context of the reactor bombing.

In the original game the group of protagonists actively blew up the reactor, knowing it would kill a lot of innocent people in the process. The PC was detached about this because hey, he was just a mercenary.

In the remake the "bombing" is now a false flag operation performed by the company, SHINRA, to turn people against the protagonists. The actual attack on the reactor would have simply destroyed a very specific bit to render it useless.

By itself this isn't a problem as such, but a significant part of character growth later in the game comes from that group's leader, Barret, grappling with how much change he was enacting versus the lives he took. He gets angry at himself that he could so easily rationalise "killing people in their sleep" to justify his actions, even though it was ultimately pointless - SHINRA could easily rebuild, but those lives could not be replaced. Barret accepts the sheer weight of this responsibility and atonement is a significant motivator from then on in.

The remake hasn't got to the point in the story where Barret goes through that, but I'm a little miffed they've taken the edge off of him. SHINRA was unquestionably an awful, terrible company, but demonstrating Barret wasn't virtuous just because he opposed them was a great bit of detail.

From what I've heard, it's implied in the original that it's a false flag, but never really explored. I think the context was just like one or two lines? Can't remember.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Morpheus posted:

From what I've heard, it's implied in the original that it's a false flag, but never really explored. I think the context was just like one or two lines? Can't remember.

Jessie mentions that she didn’t make the bomb THAT powerful, which pretty heavily implies they were set up, yeah.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Either way, Barret's plan requires casualties. You don't shut down the energy infrastructure of a city (or the world? I'm unclear on that) without hurting and killing people in the process.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It'll be real awkward when Barret shuts down a power plant and Jessie's vegetable dad dies since his machine gets powered down.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been working my way through Iconoclasts and I mostly liked it until it felt like the last third falls into the trap of ramping up the challenge by throwing too many new or rarely-used mechanics into gauntlets and boss fights. Like needing to quickly use the character-switching mechanic that appears maybe three times total along with stealth, with is pretty much never used elsewhere. Or suddenly giving you a former NPC for a boss fight, only he has about 1/4 the movement and jump speed and no reach, and the fight consists of you slowly trudging across the screen against knockback and blizzard winds, and you get punched backwards every time you do damage.

I liked the main game enough to just turn on invincibility and slog through to the end, but now there's one that involves trying to set three timed switches while the boss heals between encounters. But you can't do it in one go, and you get knocked around so much that you can't even cheese it by being invincible. I feel like it just turned a corner at some point from a pretty fun game to tedious bullshit, and I don't really have the interest in wrapping it up :sigh:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I like how after ff7 is over they change from using planet killing mako energy to clean, environmentally friendly oil.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lobok posted:

Either way, Barret's plan requires casualties. You don't shut down the energy infrastructure of a city (or the world? I'm unclear on that) without hurting and killing people in the process.

Can’t make an omelet without breaking some eggs

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Tunicate posted:

I like how after ff7 is over they change from using planet killing mako energy to clean, environmentally friendly oil.

Wasn't mako literally the souls of everyone on the planet who hadn't been reborn yet? I mean, running your city on human souls is pretty metal but they also have materia that can turn anyone into a goddamn wizard so maybe work something out with that instead. Cast loving thundaga on a battery and call it a day

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

mmj posted:

they also have materia that can turn anyone into a goddamn wizard so maybe work something out with that instead. Cast loving thundaga on a battery and call it a day

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2011-07-13

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tiggum posted:

I just tried Fire Pro Wrestling World and I don't know if the tutorial is just really bad or if it's accurate to actually playing the game, but getting the right timing to do anything seems to be insane. Moves that require you to time two things correctly in a row are practically impossible for me. And the tutorial is absurdly bad. Like, doesn't even tell you which button is which bad. Gives no feedback when you gently caress up, just makes you try again. It's basically just putting you up against an unresponsive opponent and going "Just do the thing. No, you did it wrong. Do it right this time, idiot."

OK, so I've now tried actually playing it (with the AI on the easiest difficulty) and I won the match but I still don't feel like I have any idea how to play this game. There's no feedback on how well anything is working or how close you are to winning or losing, and the matches just seem to go on for ages with no progress being made until suddenly the game decides you can win now. :confused:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Leavemywife posted:

TV works just fine, some games are just dark as poo poo. Could very well be a problem with my vision, too.

Do you have flies in your eyes

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

he's the tolland man!!! tolland man tolland man tolland man

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Leavemywife posted:

Open up a picture of a straight grayscale gradient and see if the darker part still looks like a, well, gradient, or if any part of it is a solid color. If so, check if you can change your monitor's gamma curve

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sunset Overdrive:

I'm into the second act and despite being a "comedy" game I have sat stone-faced. I doubt there was a single writer in the dev-team who was under the age of 35.

There is a massive poo poo ton of different currencies. For some reason there are nine different collectibles and if you want to find them you have to buy nine treasure maps for four districts. These maps aren't cheap and come from the same pool of currency needed to buy weapons. gently caress it, I'm going to cheat so I don't have to wait if I want to try every weapon before beating the game. For all it's faults Just Cause 3 had the wise idea to have no currency and just give you new poo poo every time you blow a military base up.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Sunset Overdrive:

I'm into the second act and despite being a "comedy" game I have sat stone-faced. I doubt there was a single writer in the dev-team who was under the age of 35.

There is a massive poo poo ton of different currencies. For some reason there are nine different collectibles and if you want to find them you have to buy nine treasure maps for four districts. These maps aren't cheap and come from the same pool of currency needed to buy weapons. gently caress it, I'm going to cheat so I don't have to wait if I want to try every weapon before beating the game. For all it's faults Just Cause 3 had the wise idea to have no currency and just give you new poo poo every time you blow a military base up.

Find a "wheel" of weapons that works for you and just stick with it. The pistol is extremely good

The weapon variety was seriously over hyped because the enemies are so simple, telling that this team also made ratchet and clank

I would have preferred half the weapons but with more distinct weapon "impact"

When you get the maps the game basically becomes zero stakes Tony hawk

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Ruffian Price posted:

Open up a picture of a straight grayscale gradient and see if the darker part still looks like a, well, gradient, or if any part of it is a solid color. If so, check if you can change your monitor's gamma curve

Yeah, I played with some settings on the TV after realizing a lot of things looked way off, like stuff I was watching on Netflix. I'm pretty sure a certain toddler in my house got a hold of the remote and was playing with the settings.

I probably should have thought to check that first, honestly, but I don't recall a time when she had it. Then again, she's sneaky.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dear game devs,

Please use something other than Cthulhu and deep ones tia

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I was hankering for a long JRPG, so I picked up Dragon Quest VII for 3DS since I loved the original. It's... OK. I'm having fun, but honestly, I don't feel like any of the changes they made in this remake actually improve the game.
  • They totally redid the graphics, going from 2d sprites in a 3d environment to full 3d. Overall, they're fine, but half the characters have their faces stuck in this horrifying rictus. It kinda ruins some story moments, honestly: there's a few sad moments that are undercut because one character is just grinning like a maniac the entire time since they're just using "generic kid model A" or whatever.
  • The new translation sucks. I'm actually fine with the accents, it's hilarious to go straight from one island where everyone's speaking mangled German to the next where they're all Italians. I just wish they hadn't changed all the names. Gabo is now Ruff, Dialac is now Regenstein, and Firebane is now... Sizzle. (Of course, if I had my way the spells would still be HURT and HURTMORE.)
  • Dear god, they ruined the ancient fane. Sure, the start of the game was slow, and speeding it up was a good choice, but they took it way too far. It used to feel like this weird ancient ruin that you really had to explore, and that you were uncovering ancient mysteries that had been buried for hundreds and hundreds of years. Now? It's like one room. They basically added loving Clippy. This is a direct quote: "Well, well! So you'd like to take a closer look at the mysterious pillars? Very good - which set will you be examining today? The Yellow Pillars? An excellent choice!" There is no reason for this.
  • The camera is awful. It's way too close to the character, it's too low-angle, and cutscenes will somehow permanently change the home position for the camera.

All that effort, and they didn't even bother fixing any of the serious issues the original game had. Terrible inventory management, slow and unresponsive menus, often unclear quest progression... I guess they did improve the XP curve to reduce grinding, that was a good call.

10 hours in. ~100 to go.

Karia has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Jul 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Len posted:

Dear game devs,

Please use something other than Cthulhu and deep ones tia

Alexis Kennedy did that but then he was outed as a sex pest and his work about old gods that "love people, but don't know how to love without hurting, changing or damaging" got a lot creepier in hindsight.

Bloodborne actually does it pretty well though. It's old news now but before the game released all the previews and stuff were around hunting and beasts, so when stuff like the Insight mechanic popped up in-game people were surprised, and when you meet the first mindflayer that's par for the course, but as you get further in you get more and more hints until eventually you're drawn into a world of elder gods.