Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm still reasonably new but I feel like Into the Breach keeps giving me situations that are literally unwinnable. Just had one at the end of the first island (so no upgrades) where the boss and an enemy moved into a position where it would either lose the game by doing 4 grid damage or destroy my best mech, so effectively losing the game since it was my first turn. I looked and looked and looked but there was no way out of it and it's frustrating because there was nothing I could do.

OTOH, I'm just reading a forum post from a guy who won 50 hard mode games in a row so there probably was a way out of it and I'm just bad.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Jul 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I know the Joker usually doesn't care because he's not interested in the non-Batman part of Batman, but have any of his other villains stumbled onto his identity only to dismiss it for some reason?

I remember that there was a Superman story at one point where Lex uses this supercomputer that proves that Superman is Clark but he ultimately refuses to believe because his mind can't comprehend a being of Superman's power pretending to be something so pathetic. I always thought that was a cool way to handle it

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think there was an episode in the Animated Series where a hypnotist finds out his identity and tries to sell it to some of the big name villains.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Fishing minigames are often complained about but the one in hades is worse than most.

Fishing in the Styx sounds like a monumentally bad idea.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Byzantine posted:

Possibly but hey at least you'll probably find a lot of fumbled coins along the shore if you bring a metal detector. Might walk away with some nice pocket change as long as you don't turn around and look behind you.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Walton Simons posted:

I'm still reasonably new but I feel like Into the Breach keeps giving me situations that are literally unwinnable. Just had one at the end of the first island (so no upgrades) where the boss and an enemy moved into a position where it would either lose the game by doing 4 grid damage or destroy my best mech, so effectively losing the game since it was my first turn. I looked and looked and looked but there was no way out of it and it's frustrating because there was nothing I could do.

OTOH, I'm just reading a forum post from a guy who won 50 hard mode games in a row so there probably was a way out of it and I'm just bad.

I remember reading somewhere that bugs are programmed to move in such a way that there's always an optimal solution for it on your own turn. First island is simple enough that I could usually figure it out, second and third throw in enough new mechanics that it becomes really difficult to spot what you're supposed to do. Don't think I ever managed to finish a run that went through all four islands.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Zagreus is a teenager bein rebellious so this checks out logically.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Byzantine posted:

It belongs in the other thread, but fuckit here it goes

When you dive into the river Styx in AC Odyssey, it's the only body of water where you can't dive to the bottom.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

christmas boots posted:

I know the Joker usually doesn't care because he's not interested in the non-Batman part of Batman, but have any of his other villains stumbled onto his identity only to dismiss it for some reason?

I remember that there was a Superman story at one point where Lex uses this supercomputer that proves that Superman is Clark but he ultimately refuses to believe because his mind can't comprehend a being of Superman's power pretending to be something so pathetic. I always thought that was a cool way to handle it

The Riddler figures it out in Hush but its dismissed pretty quickly, and not in the amusing 'doesn't really matter who the guy is as long as he keeps solving my puzzles' way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

christmas boots posted:

I believe that was in the John Byrne reboot, so in other words he had the answer fairly early on but dismissed it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think there was an episode in the Animated Series where a hypnotist finds out his identity and tries to sell it to some of the big name villains.

I'm pretty sure that was Dr. Strange, I guess "knowing who Batman is" is kind of a thing for him. They all just laughed him off when he said it was Bruce Wayne. I feel like if I were Two Face or whatever I would have at least heard him out about what evidence he had but it's a cartoon so :shrug:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Der Kyhe posted:

This idea to identify Batman is so old I think it was the plot for one of the original TV series episodes.

The biggest thing dragging down the Arkham games is that you don't get to hold a press conference as Bruce standing next to Alfred who's in the Batsuit to avert suspicion.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Something that I notice fairly often in video game voice acting is that the line readings are just wrong, like the actors weren't given any direction or didn't have the script showing the other side of a conversation to provide context for their lines. Like they might read a line in a way that would make sense if the character was making a declarative statement, but in the context of the scene it's clear that it would have made more sense to read it with a different inflection.

The Council is a fairly interesting adventure game that has a lot of examples of this. The voice acting overall is really schizophrenic, some of the actors are very good while others are pretty terrible. I personally hated the player character's voice actor. The game has a relatively serious tone with a grand historical sweep and a bunch of crazy conspiracy stuff, but the PC sounds like Guybrush Threepwood, just completely the wrong voice for this type of game. While it's not the actor's fault he was miscast, there is a repeated mispronunciation that drove me crazy and is totally the actor's fault. There is a Gutenberg Bible in one area of the game - you know, the first book ever printed, probably the most famous book in the history of the world, etc. - but the actor repeatedly calls it a GLUTENberg Bible and that just annoys the absolute poo poo out of me!!!!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Hirsute posted:

Something that I notice fairly often in video game voice acting is that the line readings are just wrong, like the actors weren't given any direction or didn't have the script showing the other side of a conversation to provide context for their lines. Like they might read a line in a way that would make sense if the character was making a declarative statement, but in the context of the scene it's clear that it would have made more sense to read it with a different inflection.

The Council is a fairly interesting adventure game that has a lot of examples of this. The voice acting overall is really schizophrenic, some of the actors are very good while others are pretty terrible. I personally hated the player character's voice actor. The game has a relatively serious tone with a grand historical sweep and a bunch of crazy conspiracy stuff, but the PC sounds like Guybrush Threepwood, just completely the wrong voice for this type of game. While it's not the actor's fault he was miscast, there is a repeated mispronunciation that drove me crazy and is totally the actor's fault. There is a Gutenberg Bible in one area of the game - you know, the first book ever printed, probably the most famous book in the history of the world, etc. - but the actor repeatedly calls it a GLUTENberg Bible and that just annoys the absolute poo poo out of me!!!!

Cloudpunk has some of the sloppiest voice acting I've ever heard. Camus is pronounced "Cam-uss" and corps is "corpse" every time. Hard to get into the story when the voice actors are stumbling through with no direction

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I mean, if we're talking about sloppy all-time great voice acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMispgpUs0

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hirsute posted:

Oblivion is notorious for having recorded all the dialogue lines in alphabetical order

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My pet peeve with voice acting, be it games or animation or whatever, is when a character is interrupted but they clearly stop before it and it's obvious there was nothing written past their last word. A real interruption would have some overlap.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lobok posted:

My pet peeve with voice acting, be it games or animation or whatever, is when a character is interrupted but they clearly stop before it and it's obvious there was nothing written past their last word. A real interruption would have some overlap.

I have to imagine that must be a technical issue because it’s so widespread, or at least it was a few years ago.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Oblivion is notorious for having recorded all the dialogue lines in alphabetical order

The funny thing is Patrick Stewart was given a full biography of the character he plays that dies in the first scene of the game so somebody understood the importance of giving direction to the voice actors, they just didn't bother.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

rodbeard posted:

The funny thing is Patrick Stewart was given a full biography of the character he plays that dies in the first scene of the game so somebody understood the importance of giving direction to the voice actors, they just didn't bother.

The actor who voices the guy who kidnaps your kid in Fallout 4 didn't even know it was a Fallout game until it actually came out.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The brazilian dubber of Mads Mikkelsen in Death Stranding clearly had zero context for the one scene he shows up in a Santa getup because all of the "ho ho ho"s are spoken like actual laughter instead of the Santa Claus way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

muscles like this! posted:

The actor who voices the guy who kidnaps your kid in Fallout 4 didn't even know it was a Fallout game until it actually came out.

The wild thing is how common this actually is. I did an interview with Meg Saricks, the new voice of Juli Kidman in The Evil Within 2, and she and I talked a bit about this. In the game, Kidman and Sebastian talk extensively about the events of the first game, so she was able to figure it out from context clues, but she wasn't actually even told the title of the game until really close to its public showcase date. I can't recall what she said the game's working title was, but it had nothing to do with the game itself (nor its kickin rad japanese title of PSYCHO BREAK).

edit: Funnily enough, Bethesda is the publisher of both of our examples, so maybe it's also just a Bethesda thing.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:54 on Jul 15, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I remember hearing that the leader voice acting for Civ V was done several years before its release and the actors weren't clear on what it was for. But given Civ being less suited for recognizable voice actors and more for 'someone that can passably speak Coptic' that's a little less weird.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVxFH8QJk_I&t=82s
(timestamp @ 1:22)

My favorite story of an actor learning what game they're about to be involved in is from Barry Sloane, the new Captain Price as of Modern Warfare 2019. The casting director was so sure that Sloane was the new Price that he just straight up spilled the beans even though you're super duper not supposed to do that :allears:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Walton Simons posted:

Sometimes destroying your best mech on first turn is legit the move and you can still win from there.

Also it is definitely one of those games where you miss a lot of potential moves at the earlier stages of play. I actually ended up stopping playing because there's a point where it feels like you just always win. Like NoEyedSquareGuy said above the bugs always give you an out and if you get good enough at recognizing that and have decent positioning beyond that you'll always be able to win because the game doesn't really punish you long-term because enemies replenish up to a cap so there's minimal long-term planning really needed. Just do the best thing this one turn. Then the next.

It is fun getting to that point though so don't let me discourage you. Just think of it more like a puzzle game than it initially appears.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

christmas boots posted:

I have to imagine that must be a technical issue because it’s so widespread, or at least it was a few years ago.

I used to think it was a case of switching to different audio files but I have no idea.

I kept the convo to voice acting to keep from derailing but it happens in live action as well, especially theatre.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
NoEyedSquareGuy and Phigs beat me to it... but yeah, treat Into The Breach like a puzzle game. once it clicked for me i reached a state where i could pretty much guarantee a win.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm pretty sure that was Dr. Strange, I guess "knowing who Batman is" is kind of a thing for him. They all just laughed him off when he said it was Bruce Wayne. I feel like if I were Two Face or whatever I would have at least heard him out about what evidence he had but it's a cartoon so :shrug:

Hugo Strange, yeah. His whole gimmick is being obsessed with Batman's identity and/or trying to become him. And then conveniently he will be bonked on the head by a heavy object to make him forget Batman's identity....for now!!!!

Or you can just do what Arkham City does and waste him past the first five minutes/one trailer. :argh:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Likewise in Pixar movies, Ed O'Neill didn't know he was one of the leads when recording his part for the Finding Dory.

If the level of commitment to voice acting is this on triple-A games and Blockbuster movies, I'd hate to think how it is done in no-budget productions. But what I do know, was that with the very first Angry Birds -game the bird noises were made with "a case of beer, miscellaneous items, and one afternoon".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CJacobs posted:

The wild thing is how common this actually is. I did an interview with Meg Saricks, the new voice of Juli Kidman in The Evil Within 2, and she and I talked a bit about this. In the game, Kidman and Sebastian talk extensively about the events of the first game, so she was able to figure it out from context clues, but she wasn't actually even told the title of the game until really close to its public showcase date. I can't recall what she said the game's working title was, but it had nothing to do with the game itself (nor its kickin rad japanese title of PSYCHO BREAK).

edit: Funnily enough, Bethesda is the publisher of both of our examples, so maybe it's also just a Bethesda thing.

There was a goon who posted that Breath of the Wild was done the same way.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Len posted:

There was a goon who posted that Breath of the Wild was done the same way.

Imagine four divine beasts on the edge of a cliff. Breath of the wild works the same way

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CJacobs posted:

One of the big sticking points for the SAG-AFTRA strike of 2017 is that actors for well-known characters in popular franchises can now find out who they're reading for and scale their pay to the overall game budget.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

One of the big sticking points for the SAG-AFTRA strike of 2017 is that actors for well-known characters in popular franchises can now find out who they're reading for and scale their pay to the overall game budget.

After all these posts about people not knowing who they're voicing, finally I know the reason

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Whenever you read about something and think "wow that's dumb, why is it like that" always consider the financial motive.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

exquisite tea posted:

Whenever you read about something and think "wow that's dumb, why is it like that" always consider the financial motive.

it's actually more shocking when you discover things done for non-financial reasons...because absolutely everything stupid is about money on some level.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lobok posted:

"And I found out the secret was -"

"No, wait!"

Worse when there are subtitles that have the em-dash at the end of them, so you know the character is going to get interrupted once they stop talking.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah but the subtitle thing I can forgive because there's not really a way around it without timing each written word to its spoken one and that would be a solution worse than the problem. It's a double-edged sword to be able to see what characters will say ahead of time (it's great for skipping dialogue!).

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
What it should do is have the subtitles end in a comma or other line break, even if the have to add some unvoiced words for it to make sense-- which would add to the jarring effect of the interruption.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The most devilish upending of this was in TWD1 where you see the message flash "Carly will remember this" seconds before Lilly blows her brains out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

What it should do is have the subtitles end in a comma or other line break, even if the have to add some unvoiced words for it to make sense-- which would add to the jarring effect of the interruption.

But that would mean massive spoilers for all the times a guy is about to say "It was Lysanderoth" and dies in the middle of it.