Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Horizon Zero Dawn: the rewards for turning in collectibles in Meridian have been, so far, super underwhelming. Yay, a pile of money and some weapon mods that are worse than the ones I already have. :geno:

I mean, the actual exploration and climbing to find the collectibles is still fun, but if it wasn't I'd be pretty let down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I also hate games that don’t well define how upgrades affect you overall.

I don’t know if +5 defense or +10 armor is better or worse because many games don’t show how it affects your numbers.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
At least with FFX's boosts you can see the numeric changes, like when you activate a +2 strength node with Wakka and he goes from ~1600 damage per hit to about 1700. You can see where the numbers have gone and it helps it feel worth it. Same with FF13, the only stats are health and flat damage increases so it's OBVIOUS when a stat node has made a big difference.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
Nier: Automata had an annoying system where chips dropped with a random point cost. The really dumb part was that chips from quest rewards or special chests had their point cost maxed out, so you could get way more out of equipping a bunch of average or low cost chips, even if they were lower level. Chips also drop constantly from enemies, so I never used anything that was a "reward".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yoko Taro strikes again!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

moosecow333 posted:

That’s one of the things that threw me off Path of Exile. Everyone keeps bringing up the massive sphere grid thing but almost all of it is just +5 to some stat.

It's even worse because everyone acts like the giant sphere grid gives you infinite build options but really what it gives you is the most tedious way to pick what viable build you want. Do you want to play past the basic difficulty? Better reach that arbitrary benchmark for your class armour/shield, health and nature resistances! Does the build you want to use not fit within whatever point constraints you get left over after that and do enough damage to kill things while healing, blocking or dodging enough to not die to the many forms of literally unavoidable damage? Well gently caress you. You just don't get to play past a certain point. Come back with a new character when you have a build that actually works.

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

Nier: Automata had an annoying system where chips dropped with a random point cost. The really dumb part was that chips from quest rewards or special chests had their point cost maxed out, so you could get way more out of equipping a bunch of average or low cost chips, even if they were lower level. Chips also drop constantly from enemies, so I never used anything that was a "reward".

Not that this isn't an entirely valid complaint, but I'd just like to point out that basically every single one of Yoko Taro's games has been incredibly spiteful towards people who want to 100% complete them. Drakengard liked to make you just stand around in specific places in specific rooms on specific maps for a long period of time. Nier had many side quests that just sucked to do and gave nothing worthwhile as rewards, plus also the entire RNG gardening achievement that to this day I still don't have despite spending enough hours trying to get that I time travelled my PS3 a century into the future. My personal favorite from Automata is the side quest that gives you an item that just kills you as a reward.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 07:15 on Apr 1, 2021

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yoko Taro's games were made to be edited LPs, so you can experience the story and emotional impact, but not actually have to sit through the gameplay.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn: the rewards for turning in collectibles in Meridian have been, so far, super underwhelming. Yay, a pile of money and some weapon mods that are worse than the ones I already have. :geno:

I mean, the actual exploration and climbing to find the collectibles is still fun, but if it wasn't I'd be pretty let down.

I had the same problem with AssCreed Odyssey: "As a reward for slaying your epic foe you will receive a sword that's worse than the one you already have." Like, I already have a sword that becomes on fire, I don't need my inventory clogging up with small and useless daggers.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 12:37 on Apr 1, 2021

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
I don't think it's one of Yoko Taro's tricks if one type of reward is always unbalanced for easy, normal, hard, or troll quests. Automata only has a couple of things that mess with the player, aside from if you get a joke ending at a bad time. It sounds like Nier and Drakengard have a lot more of that sort of thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StandardVC10 posted:

Yeah, that exact feeling is why I gave up on the game after finishing about half of it. I felt like there was really not much point to doing things anymore, the rewards just kept getting proportionally worse for the effort.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lobok posted:

I want a Hoover item pick-up, on auto. Ride my horse through an open-world game collecting resources and loot like I'm driving through item boxes in Mario Kart.

Fenyx: Immortal Rising does this when you're mounted, with an area of effect no less. It's also the only game in which I use the mount with any kind of frequency.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It also gives you an item hoover ability that just collects everything you can currently see in a fairly wide range. Only what you can see, strangely enough - items you're looking at will actually be marked with a little icon. Stuff that is behind you and which you can't see won't be collected. Strange choice, but still very convenient.

Cardiovorax has a new favorite as of 14:46 on Apr 1, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

Fenyx: Immortal Rising does this when you're mounted, with an area of effect no less. It's also the only game in which I use the mount with any kind of frequency.

Awesome! And yeah, that is exactly the kind of thing to get players to use mounts.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Horizon Zero Dawn has the dumbest story I've ever seen in a video game. Just 'finished' the proving segment and the 'after' and .. yeah. Every dumb trope I've ever seen, rolled into one crappy package.

At least the combat makes up for it.

Also, games that take my stuff away, even 'temporarily', can soundly go gently caress themselves.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Actually that has been one of my favorite parts of HZD. "We know you don't like the obligatory no-gear levels so we made them 45 seconds long."

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

When games use arbitrary units that don't mesh with eachother, and makes it more tedious to figure out what is actually going on, numbers wise. And/or fail to show important info in a sensible way.

Ex: Evil Genius 2. On normal difficulty, having an active level 1 criminal network in a region provides you with a passive income of 20$ per 5 seconds. Your primary expenditure is salaries, but these are listed per 'day'.
You have to go into the statistics screen just to see how your passive income balances against your passive expenditures, and even then you'll only get a summary from the last 7 days.
On top of that I've yet to see them list the day length anywhere.

This would all be solved if the criminal networks just listed their passive income as' 20$ per 5 sec' ((10000/day)) or whatever the day length is.)
Or if the tooltip when you hover over your cashbar listed expected salary and passive income, so you could check both at a glance.

It's so strange to have a management sim that relies on money as the primary resource to drive everything, and it doesn't even list your income.
(Granted, a big chunk of your income will be from stuff like schemes, but it's very useful to know the over/under on what my expected baseline is. Not knowing makes it all too easy to over-extend you salaries.)

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Len posted:

I know I've posted this exact thing before, but I'm watching Godzilla v Kong right now

Why is it so hard to make a good Godzilla game?

Edit: joke post here

Give me a fuckin' Godzilla survival game where I have to stomp into Tokyo to fill some arbitrary guage and as you break poo poo they slowly respond by building new defenses, researching new tech, etc

Every now and then you'll go to town for a load of bread and oh look ghidorah is there sure why not

Godzilla PS4 had something close to that, where the more destruction you caused the more powerful the military response became. It was still trash, despite being easily the best Godzilla game ever made.

It shouldn't be hard to make a good Godzilla game. War of the Monsters was fine and would have been a good framework, that one level of Psychonauts was pretty fun. But for some dumbass reason nobody can just make a "normal" Godzilla game where you're a big monster destroying things and that's it. They always have to make it some kind of weird strategy or RPG thing nobody asked for and fewer people have the patience to understand.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I would also accept an asymmetric strategy game where one player was the JDSF playing an rts trying to defend against Godzilla and the other was Godzilla just causing destruction

I guess that would be like what I imagine Giants Citizens Kabuto played like? But I only ever played the ps2 game with no multiplayer

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The best Godzilla game was the bonus Reptar level in the PS1 Rugrats game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Has everyone already forgotten Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee? The reason I bought a Gamecube in 2004?

It's not *great* but it is a fun brawler fighter. The kaiju definitely are a bit more agile than they are in the movies and do more wrestling-style moves but I feel that captures the spirit of a kaiju battle better than a strict interpretation would. It, Godzilla Save the Earth, and Godzilla Unleashed are all pretty similar and all pretty solid games.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Do it like Bowser's Inside Story, gently caress it. Let me lead a team fighting monsters and stuff, and the Big G comes out for boss fights.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Alhazred posted:

I had the same problem with AssCreed Odyssey: "As a reward for slaying your epic foe you will receive a sword that's worse than the one you already have." Like, I already have a sword that becomes on fire, I don't need my inventory clogging up with small and useless daggers.

Not a sidequest, but Witcher 3 still has my favorite example of this. As a reward for finishing a long section of the main story, the king (?) of Skellige gives you an ornate sword passed down through his family for generations which is clearly intended to be an honor of great significance. It had stats significantly worse than the sword I was already using so I sold it to the first vendor I found outside the castle.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like it when they let you break weapons down into crafting materials so that I can imagine I'm just smashing it over my knee in front of them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Has everyone already forgotten Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee? The reason I bought a Gamecube in 2004?

It's not *great* but it is a fun brawler fighter. The kaiju definitely are a bit more agile than they are in the movies and do more wrestling-style moves but I feel that captures the spirit of a kaiju battle better than a strict interpretation would. It, Godzilla Save the Earth, and Godzilla Unleashed are all pretty similar and all pretty solid games.

Yeah but I don't want an okay fighting game. I want to fuckin just stomp around

Overall bad game Star Wars Kinect had a rancor game where after a little girl said "no go away I can't keep you as a pet" you get to just stomp around and wreck poo poo and it would be a lie to say I didn't have a blast with it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn has the dumbest story I've ever seen in a video game. Just 'finished' the proving segment and the 'after' and .. yeah. Every dumb trope I've ever seen, rolled into one crappy package.

At least the combat makes up for it.

Also, games that take my stuff away, even 'temporarily', can soundly go gently caress themselves.

hzd's plot doesn't make a good first impression. or a second one, for that matter. its real strength doesn't come into play until you hit the area "Maker's End" somewhere around the game's halfway point

the caveman-cosplay nonsense wore out its welcome in a hurry

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't think it'd be hard to make a good Godzilla game either. There was a King Kong game based on Peter Jackson's version that I recall being pretty good. Also I'd forgotten about War of the Monsters.

And god drat would I ever love a follow up to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Not a sidequest, but Witcher 3 still has my favorite example of this. As a reward for finishing a long section of the main story, the king (?) of Skellige gives you an ornate sword passed down through his family for generations which is clearly intended to be an honor of great significance. It had stats significantly worse than the sword I was already using so I sold it to the first vendor I found outside the castle.

that owns honestly. lovely bling sword that some aristocrat thinks is super awesome and meaningful but is actually a gaudy garbage that you immediately sell for cash

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the king: this is my family heirloom, passed down for 500 years
pawn stars guy: this is shiny pig iron with 80 gems krazy glued on. ill give you 25 dollars

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

And that's why you don't sell heirloom jewelry for scrap metal value.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There is also battalion, a game that's even older than I thought it was and was created on a Silicon Graphics Indy.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Okay, I've never played the Witcher games, but I will actually go to bat for this, because in real life most ancestral swords are ornate pieces of garbage that look pretty but couldn't even cut a piece of bread. That's just what happens when you build something out of gold and rubies or whatever.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Isn't there a game where you can get a sword of some value from a king and if you sold it you got in trouble? And you could get said sword multiple times?

E: It was Princess Maker 2, selling the sword you won through the fighting tournament would have the king and general publicly shame your daughter

Leal has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Apr 2, 2021

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Len posted:

Give me a fuckin' Godzilla survival game where I have to stomp into Tokyo to fill some arbitrary guage and as you break poo poo they slowly respond by building new defenses, researching new tech, etc
This is basically Kaiju-A-GoGo, honestly.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think Dragon Age 2 has something like that. One of your party members starts off with the shield she took from her dying husband. If you sell it I think she had a conversation much later along the lines of "I know we were desperate for money so I let it go, but also gently caress you"

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Theif 3 had something similar in that you could sell an item before you knew you needed it for plot reasons, and then you got an extra objective to steal it back in a later mission. However the game had a sell all button that didn't discriminate, so if you wanted to avoid that you had to sell all your loot one by one, which was pretty bad in a game where stealing everything not nailed down is the point.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

serefin99 posted:

Okay, I've never played the Witcher games, but I will actually go to bat for this, because in real life most ancestral swords are ornate pieces of garbage that look pretty but couldn't even cut a piece of bread. That's just what happens when you build something out of gold and rubies or whatever.

Except its not good for crafting or selling either, Its genuinely just garbage in every respect and the way its handed over as a "reward" for completing a huge quest line makes it feel more like a slap in the face. It doesn't even look cool, its just a boring lovely sword in a game all ready packed to the gills with boring lovely swords.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can understand why that would be frustrating in a purely mechanical sense but I agree (without knowing anything about the specifics) that it sounds incredibly thematically appropriate.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
This is all my own fault, given what year it is now and what year it is when the game came out, but the multiplayer of COD: Infinite Warfare is disappointing and a total mess. I've been playing it on and off since I bought it years ago but the issues the game has seem to become more and more apparent as time goes on and the player base become more diluted. This is going to be a lot of whining about an irrelevant game that no one has cared about in years.

I really want to like it because there's a ton of really cool and fun things in it (Gun that can be split into two smaller guns! Black hole generators! Bubble shields!) and the setting winds up being aesthetically cool, particularly for this series. The problem is that the overall balance of the game seems kinda bad, for some examples:

Most of the guns are usable and fine, but every weapon class seems to have one or two guns that are clearly way, way better than the competition. This isn't incredibly uncommon for COD, but usually patches address this stuff and the modern games are typically pretty well balanced so that nothing is completely overwhelming other similar choices. It's weird because most of these games guns narrow down into either "easy to use and pretty strong" or "high risk/execution and high reward", but the game strongly errs toward the former and it's extremely clear when you see other people's loadouts.

The game has a weapon variant system, wherein the player earns supply drops that can, possibly, provide unique versions of base weapons but with an added quirk. On paper this system probably sounds bad and it's not much better in practice. Basically every variant is one of three things: it's either a tiny minor upgrade that doesn't do much, some huge gimmick that doesn't help the weapon at all, or is this huge, vast bonus that completely dwarfs every other variant and can cause the weapon to go from "okay" to "this is a meta gun that the best players use". As you can probably expect, the latter of these groups tends to be the hardest to get, it's not exactly pay to win, but it's annoying as all hell.

In theory you can also earn a second kind of currency (ugh) and purchase the variants you want, but not every variant is available through this method and it takes an extremely long time to actually be able to earn anything interesting. There's also no way to try before you buy, so while that dual-wield minigun may sound super cool, you might find that "hey, this basically sucks to actually use" (this is a true story).

The spawn system is maybe the worst I've ever seen in a shooter and that's not hyperbole, I actually mean that. I've been spawned right behind the person that killed me, in front of the person who just killed me, into airstrikes, in front of hostile turrets, into grenades, into bullets fired at a person directly in front of me, etc. It's not even all that uncommon or restricted to the tiny maps either, it just feels like it was never tuned, like it's unfinished. In an average match I'm going to die about three seconds off of my spawn once or twice. It's maddening, I don't understand why it feels the need to spawn so close to the opposition.

The playerbase is down to two categories: regular people who maybe dip into a game now and then and the people who have been playing the game non-stop for half a decade. The skill gap between these two groups is vast, with the end result being that games of twelve people tend to be totally dominated by two or three people, all of which who are using pretty well the same loadout, same gun, same everything. Every match winds up feeling extremely samey as a result, you've either got the good people on your team and you're dominating without breaking a sweat, or you don't and the game is pretty well a foregone conclusion from the word go. I know this probably reeks of salt and I don't deny there's probably a little bit at least, but this game where you can shoot laser guns on a space ship that is on the brink of a black hole's event horizon winds up feeling so dry and samey, there's never any real excitement, any real sense of competition. Games are almost never close, it's nearly always a blowout for one side and it doesn't even seem to be all that fun to be on the winning team. I don't even think I'm especially bad at the game or anything either, but the people who are good are so much better than me that it stops being engaging entirely.

Again, I know that I'm asking a lot for a partially dead COD from years ago, I think I'm just miffed because the game has so much potential and yet fucks up things and has problems that were already solved by games in the series that came out before. Even now in 2021 I boot up Black Ops 3 (the game immediately preceding Infinite Warfare) semi-regularly because I think it's legitimately good, outside of the loot box garbage. It almost looks like Infinity Ward looked at BO3 and were like "we need to have a distinct vision" and then designed Infinite Warfare specifically to be some weird alternate universe BO3 where everything is different for the sake of being different, regardless as to whether or not the final product is actually better.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

dracula vladdy AF posted:

It almost looks like Infinity Ward looked at BO3 and were like "we need to have a distinct vision" and then designed Infinite Warfare specifically to be some weird alternate universe BO3 where everything is different for the sake of being different, regardless as to whether or not the final product is actually better.

that probably is exactly the case. every COD with multiplayer doesn't just need to compete against other multiplayer games, it needs to compete against previous games in the franchise people are still playing and do so convincingly enough to establish a playerbase quickly. if they don't do things differently how are they going to sell people on a 60 dollar purchase rather than sticking with the game they already have and can play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stexils posted:

that probably is exactly the case. every COD with multiplayer doesn't just need to compete against other multiplayer games, it needs to compete against previous games in the franchise people are still playing and do so convincingly enough to establish a playerbase quickly. if they don't do things differently how are they going to sell people on a 60 dollar purchase rather than sticking with the game they already have and can play?

This is something New BLOPS hosed up, actually. Modern Warfare was so good it still has a lot of people playing it instead, since BLOPS is on the older engine and feels kind of assy compared to MW.