Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's a lot of fun sometimes but never turns into a cohesive game like 1/2/NV. My college roomate and I hit the point where we just didn't care anymore.

it was fine for its time but there is really no reason to go back to it, much like oblivion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Stexils posted:

it was fine for its time but there is really no reason to go back to it, much like oblivion

Ah, you mean Better Morrowind.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

christmas boots posted:

Ah, you mean Better Morrowind.

morrowind and oblivion are extremely different games. its more like fallout 2 vs fallout 3 as opposed to fallout 3 to new vegas.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Stexils posted:

morrowind and oblivion are extremely different games. its more like fallout 2 vs fallout 3 as opposed to fallout 3 to new vegas.

Ah yes, Lesser Arena, Better Daggerfall, Better Oblivion, and lesser Fallout 3

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Resident Evil 8 is very fun so far, but it does one thing early on that annoys me every time in any game that tries it: It puts you into an unwinnable fight where you have to "die" to make a cutscene play that advances the plot. I have never seen any game do it well, and RE8 is no exception. I just ended up running in circles around the area thinking I was just missing the way out, until eventually I got bored and realised I was probably expected to let the enemy kill me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That's good to know ahead of time. The RE2 remake had a variant where your supposed to dodge for a while, then run away and let the monster chase you to an environmental trap to take care of it. Only it was dark enough that I missed the exit for a while and spent minutes running around cheering through my whole inventory thinking surely this round will finish it off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Really? There is literally no way to make me forever nope out of publicly appreciating your game's art style than making photo mode slap a "A CAPCOM GAME, BY CAPCOM. CAPCOM!!!!" on the screen :what:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Really? There is literally no way to make me forever nope out of publicly appreciating your game's art style than making photo mode slap a "A CAPCOM GAME, BY CAPCOM. CAPCOM!!!!" on the screen :what:

Crop it out.

gently caress the rules.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Stexils posted:

I still think Oblivion holds up, it's just that the part that holds up wasn't fully intended. I think it's in the perfect medium where the magic system is still mostly as wild and breakable as it is in Morrowind, while the game's got AI and physics that's believable enough to really make you feel the total nonsense you made.

It doesn't hold up as a big, serious game, it holds up as a Terrible Wizard Simulator.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Perestroika posted:

Resident Evil 8 is very fun so far, but it does one thing early on that annoys me every time in any game that tries it: It puts you into an unwinnable fight where you have to "die" to make a cutscene play that advances the plot. I have never seen any game do it well, and RE8 is no exception. I just ended up running in circles around the area thinking I was just missing the way out, until eventually I got bored and realised I was probably expected to let the enemy kill me.

Apropos of nothing but I am reminded of the big stupid spider crab thing in RE5 which operates similarly: does the game have any spiders or did they abstain? I know like most of the RE games have spiders but they've been relatively good about it lately and I want to go into it as blind as I can. They're like an RE staple in a way and it really sucks because Village is like the place to make a big spider hide in a pile of leaves and that'd be sadly legitimately too real for me.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Mannnn they always fuckin do this that sucks. Monster Hunter as well. I'm sure there's some copyright law they're abiding by by having it there but the rule is stupid so gently caress the rule. Ingame artistry and photography from users is exploding, let gamers take photos of things other than anime girls and poo poo so my PS4 dashboard isn't full of that from my Destiny friends list!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Mannnn they always fuckin do this that sucks. Monster Hunter as well. I'm sure there's some copyright law they're abiding by by having it there but the rule is stupid so gently caress the rule. Ingame artistry and photography from users is exploding, let gamers take photos of things other than anime girls and poo poo so my PS4 dashboard isn't full of that from my Destiny friends list!!

The thing is, I played most of the big Sony exclusives last gen and they felt like a race to the top to develop awesome photo mode features, and none of them pulled that poo poo. Then it shows up here, in an uninspired bare-bones version. Just let your game sell itself, everyone will know where the picture comes from and they'll respect the work so much more if you don't stamp your name across it at every opportunity.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

The thing is, I played most of the big Sony exclusives last gen and they felt like a race to the top to develop awesome photo mode features, and none of them pulled that poo poo. Then it shows up here, in an uninspired bare-bones version. Just let your game sell itself, everyone will know where the picture comes from and they'll respect the work so much more if you don't stamp your name across it at every opportunity.

Honestly? If it wasn't for the Capcom logo I would have had no idea that was Resident Evil

And even then it's only the context of it being a new release game

Edit: off the top of my head it could have been

Some randos digital art
A new Castlevania?!
Something Fromsoft
Some randos Castlevania fan art

Len has a new favorite as of 03:50 on May 8, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

Honestly? If it wasn't for the Capcom logo I would have had no idea that was Resident Evil

And even then it's only the context of it being a new release game

That was just a generic pic from when I realized they added a stamp. What I meant was that I'll always add a tag when I'm posting legitimately impressive game captures, and I see other folks doing that too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah I still don't see the problem

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just feel like it's nice to be able to make a nice game photo and draw attention to the talent making it without the company itself just jumping in to claim credit for it by default :shrug:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just feel like it's nice to be able to make a nice game photo and draw attention to the talent making it without the company itself just jumping in to claim credit for it by default :shrug:

but it's literally their work, like you're not finding this scenic vista out in nature

sure you took the picture but they made the thing that your taking a picture of but they made the thing

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Len posted:

Yeah I still don't see the problem

If you're going to let people take pictures of your game world why would you write some poo poo on their lens

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CJacobs posted:

If you're going to let people take pictures of your game world why would you write some poo poo on their lens

it's not like they put the watermark across the thing, it's usually at the bottom out of the way

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

but it's literally their work, like you're not finding this scenic vista out in nature

sure you took the picture but they made the thing that your taking a picture of but they made the thing

I mean sure I appreciate the work that went into it, but I'm just enjoying the picture, not trying to profit off it or something. How on earth is it better for me not to be able to easily enjoy a nice screenshot without "COPYRIGHT 2021 CAPCOM" stamped over it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I mean sure I appreciate the work that went into it, but I'm just enjoying the picture, not trying to profit off it or something. How on earth is it better for me not to be able to easily enjoy a nice screenshot without "COPYRIGHT 2021 CAPCOM" stamped over it?

it's light grey text in the bottom of the picture

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Len posted:

it's not like they put the watermark across the thing, it's usually at the bottom out of the way

Ok that's literally what a watermark is am I being trolled here

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

Ok you win, I'm done arguing on the internet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Copyright doesn't work like that. It's a decision from marketing I'd bet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CJacobs posted:

Ok that's literally what a watermark is am I being trolled here

I meant it like how some things have the watermark as giant very noticeable text going diagonal across the entire picture

this is light grey text at the bottom of the picture

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also when was "it's their work so they can dictate what you do with it" ever a valid take? No thanks, bro. Resist that poo poo for the little things because it'll start creeping into the big things, that's how Dead Space 3 got microtransactions and Visceral got absorbed into the Battlefield mines by EA.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Len posted:

Cool they should make it permanent just in case somebody tries to profit off their ip by steaming the game online.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Cool they should make it permanent just in case somebody tries to profit off their ip by steaming the game online.

Nah you wouldn't notice it through the facecam and random twitch popups

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Why would anyone do something so silly as streaming a game online?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CJacobs posted:

Why would anyone do something so silly as streaming a game online?

Look at this poster who doesn't have a stadia :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zil posted:

H

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
ey, I res

ent that statement! Sorry, the wind blew outside and my connection and ping went to 400ms again. :stadia:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zil posted:

Hey now

Switch has streaming games too

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Apropos of nothing but I am reminded of the big stupid spider crab thing in RE5 which operates similarly: does the game have any spiders or did they abstain? I know like most of the RE games have spiders but they've been relatively good about it lately and I want to go into it as blind as I can. They're like an RE staple in a way and it really sucks because Village is like the place to make a big spider hide in a pile of leaves and that'd be sadly legitimately too real for me.

There's no spiders. They do a thing with flies, and one boss has big stabby-legs that are kinda spider-ish, but mostly I think they went easy on insects and arachnids after 7 went so hard on them.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

In Fight Night Round 2, you can make your own boxer, any height any shape.

But if you make a fatty, and go through training like once, you're jacked all of a sudden.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

christmas boots posted:

If you'd like to outpace the curve in a very major way, Operation Anchorage makes Stealth/Melee builds a cakewalk and The Pitt gives you a silenced weapon that makes Ranged Stealth one as well

I just formulated a to-do list because I didn't realize until like, level 10 or so that a shitload of melee's potential power hinges entirely on the Ninja perk's whopping 15% bonus crit chance, which needs 80 goddamn Sneak. (I never run Sneak builds in these games so it was not at all a priority.) So my next step is to beeline for the most important bobbleheads (plus a bunch of skill books) I'm missing to help get me there. Which then made me realize a few of them are gonna turn me into deathclaw bait which means I have to go assemble the dart gun first... While I'm not happy that they basically force you to go melee/sneak to get the most out of melee, I'm at least glad to have a concrete goal to work towards and there's a lot of convenient overlap with stuff I was already going to be doing anyway.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's a lot of fun sometimes but never turns into a cohesive game like 1/2/NV. My college roomate and I hit the point where we just didn't care anymore.

I will say that once I got out of the initial radius of say, the Anchorage Memorial with Megaton at one end and all of the awkward DC metro snarl at the other it started to feel properly fun to explore again. (And to be fair once you actually make it to the core DC areas they tend to be somewhat interesting and the dungeons are unique.)

It's also fascinating to see just how much of Fallout 4 seems to be a direct response to various things in 3. I love seeing that progression, even if going backwards isn't the most ideal way of doing it, and it makes me appreciate a lot of small tweaks Fallout 4 made to things.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

John Murdoch posted:

It's also fascinating to see just how much of Fallout 4 seems to be a direct response to various things in 3.

You can walk around the city! And there aren't garbage walls and sewers everywhere!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Crowetron posted:

There's no spiders. They do a thing with flies, and one boss has big stabby-legs that are kinda spider-ish, but mostly I think they went easy on insects and arachnids after 7 went so hard on them.

:toot: Ethan I am about to get all your arms and legs chopped off all over again buddy I hope you're ready

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
RE8 on xbox one has some really off putting lighting effects. I can't tell if it's just the graphic style, my settings or the game just being dialed back for the older console but it's kind of distracting. I'm getting a lot of "bands" on the light, if that makes sense. It looks like paint by numbers sometimes and not smooth going from light to shadow.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's something that tends to happen without dithering. Without any sort of visual noise and/or film grain you can see color banding how you describe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

exquisite tea posted:

That's something that tends to happen without dithering. Without any sort of visual noise and/or film grain you can see color banding how you describe.

It's a little distracting. Do you know of adjusting the settings can tone it down a little bit? I'm thinking making the game darker would help. Thanks