Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite thing about Dead Space 3's mediocre story is that the characters are so schlocky. Isaac literally says to Norton "you can come with us to the planet or you can try to stop us but we'll defend ourselves if so" and is then still taken by surprise when he does exactly that. He gave him permission, it's like he forgot he said it, it's hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

CJacobs posted:

My favorite thing about Dead Space 3's mediocre story is that the characters are so schlocky. Isaac literally says to Norton "you can come with us to the planet or you can try to stop us but we'll defend ourselves if so" and is then still taken by surprise when he does exactly that. He gave him permission, it's like he forgot he said it, it's hilarious

My man... he was bluffing

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vic posted:

My man... he was bluffing

He wasn't, Isaac's jealous and he gets more eager to fight Norton until it happens at which point he realizes he's an idiot. They literally square up like it's a liveleak video and someone's about to get decked lol

edit: I think the mistake folks make is that Isaac's not the blank slate guy anymore in 3, he's his own dude who is capable of being wrong and a dumbass now. This is contrast with 2 where he was so competent he shut other characters down when they tutorialized him. But again 3's story is bad and schlocky and so the result is he becomes a cartoon just like everyone else. When he's like "no dude we cannot go home we have to take this rickety bucket down to the planet just the five of us and stop the alien epidemic fumbling in the dark", you aren't supposed to agree with him just cuz hitting WASD makes him move around.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:54 on May 9, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That's true, and reminds me I'm disappointed that Ethan doesn't have a rocket punch. Although technically I guess I'm not far enough along yet in RE8 to know that for a certainty.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

CJacobs posted:

He wasn't, Isaac's jealous and he gets more eager to fight Norton until it happens at which point he realizes he's an idiot.

That's called bluffing.

EDIT: Anyway don't mistake dumb characters for dumb writing. Or in case of Dead Space 3 it was both but not because of this moment.

Vic has a new favorite as of 22:13 on May 9, 2021

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I really want to play RE Village, having preordered it (something I do very seldomly) but I started a new game on Dark Souls 3 just over a week ago and DS3 is too good.
I have watched the intro scene of RE and put Rose to bed but that's it.

The problem is this is my 3rd run at DS3 and despite never having finished it it is too good. Nearly done with Archdragon Peak but not killed the princes yet, or done Untended Graves.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I am loving RE8 to death, but it does that dumb map thing where most of the useful icons disappear when you zoom out. I understand wanting to avoid clutter, but like always they made the cutoff way too zoomed in. Practically useless when I'm trying to find something I vaguely remember and I want to use the map at a broad level.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vic posted:

That's called bluffing.

EDIT: Anyway don't mistake dumb characters for dumb writing. Or in case of Dead Space 3 it was both but not because of this moment.

Uh, no? It's the other way round, he's the one calling Norton's bluff as Isaac is the one demonstrating a willingness to start the fight Norton is offering

edit: "This is a bad idea and I want it to stop" "then try because we're not stopping" "nah actually I'll go along with it"

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:02 on May 10, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Uh, no? It's the other way round, he's the one calling Norton's bluff as Isaac is the one demonstrating a willingness to start the fight Norton is offering

edit: "This is a bad idea and I want it to stop" "then try" "nah actually I'll go along with it"

I was bluffing I never played a Dead Space game. You win.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I accept the victory in this hand of texas PYF-em but I also could have provided slightly fuller context for why I find it humorous which is my bad

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Gonna be honest, i co-oped through DS3 three times and i don't even remember who Norton is.

It's not the redneck trapper, is it?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Captain Hygiene posted:

I am loving RE8 to death, but it does that dumb map thing where most of the useful icons disappear when you zoom out. I understand wanting to avoid clutter, but like always they made the cutoff way too zoomed in. Practically useless when I'm trying to find something I vaguely remember and I want to use the map at a broad level.

I think the only thing that doesn't get removed are the heirloom markers, everything else disappears.

Someone mentioned that RE8 commits a cardinal sin where the big intro fight only ends when you lose. Well, having now beaten the game and started again on NG+ I can confirm you can win that intro fight, it just involves killing a boss monster and 30 guys, which you almost definitely don't have ammo for in a first go through. Then you get the same cutscene as if you lost. My first time, losing I got hit with an arrow and went into the cutscene. When I won, I got blindsided and stabbed with a pickaxe, but at the end of the cutscene I still pulled an arrow out of my leg that somehow got there when I wasn't looking?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wait RE8 has combat?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

Wait RE8 has combat?

And a giant fetus that laughs as it chases you down and eats you :catstare:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

HenryEx posted:

Gonna be honest, i co-oped through DS3 three times and i don't even remember who Norton is.

It's not the redneck trapper, is it?

Norton's the Dude Bro dating Isaac's ex. 90% of the drama in the game revolves around this conflict as opposed to the pseudoreligious death cult and the sentient zombie moons.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Are we still talking about Dark Souls 3?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Are we still talking about Dark Souls 3?

What, you never found Norton of the Ashen Wastes?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

And a giant fetus that laughs as it chases you down and eats you :catstare:

Really getting tired of all these games about the burdens of fatherhood.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Yes please more about the burdens of motherhood

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ethan Winters desperately trying to escape his child support payments

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

"They're not gonna be happy without their pound of flesh" *lines up saw on right wrist*

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gaius Marius posted:

Chris finally found a surrogate to continue the Redfield bloodline.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

on way to family court; lost fingat

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Vic posted:

Fallout is this as the yonic Vaults protect life from the rain of phallic destruction and the resulting release of toxic masculinity, but still must disgorge humanity from the embrace of Mother Earth eventually.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Also Horizon Zero Dawn

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Parasite Eve is about the burdens of being an aunt.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vic posted:

I'm looking forward to that new game from the creators of Gone Home where you're on a road trip and your mom is Keri Russell.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's always a bit of a let down when a game has dozens/hundreds of wacky wearable items/armors, but none of them are visible on your character model.

It's an understandable decision especially in sprite based games, but still makes me sad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Phigs posted:

This is what I was talking about. You can spike above some enemies but eventually your damage caps and the enemies scale again and it all feels worthless. My biggest memory of Fallout 3 is pumping multiple bullets from the strongest gun into the faces f super mutants several times each and thinking I shouldn't have even bothered leveling.

To me it's a totally separate issue, I guess is the way I'd put it? Leveling has ultimately felt impactful to me, even if the upfront execution is far too abstract (skill points) or dull (perks). Going past level 20 suddenly peppers in the new 500% HP enemies to the game and that sucks, but the other 10 Super Mutants standing next to the Overlord have only gotten noticeably weaker compared to me rather than staying on par.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also now a mind dump about the first 2 DLCs:

Operation Anchorage is frustrating to me. It has so much potential, but none of it is pushed to the fullest and instead it really only remains remembered for THE CHINESE STEALTH ARMOR!!!! :woop: The premise is nonsensical and contrived to start with and I honestly thought the Brotherhood Outcasts were a quickly ginned-up "oh yeah these guys have existed the whole time!" faction but no, I just never found their HQ in the wasteland. (Side note: I find it very fascinating that even in-text there are people who have a problem with 3's goody good Brotherhood BS and part of 4's shift back to fashy BoS involved reconciling them back into the fold. Nice escape hatch.)

Ironically, the idea of an action-oriented CoD/Battlefield game being smushed into Fallout actually appeals to me in a weird way. Certainly a step better than Far Harbor's bizarre puzzle/tower defense minigame crap. The map design isn't terrible and I appreciated the shift from "loot everything that isn't nailed down" to more traditional FPS gameplay tropes as a fun diversion. The missing potential is that you can't really do anything to subvert the simulation; the fact that none of it is real is always in your face but provides no roleplay hooks beyond a few dialogue options.

The part that hurts the most is that the actual underlying intrigue is vastly more interesting than the insultingly blunt "play video game, receive OP loot" poo poo. Problem one being that I had to piece it all together from wiki entries because trying to grapple with it in-game was too tedious. And then half of the backstory was cut entirely (probably due to cost and/or file size reasons). General Chase's vain attempt to re-write the history of the Battle of Anchorage to quell his PTSD and/or survivor's guilt is surprisingly compelling and when combined with the CoD pastiche/metatextual video game elements it could've gone somewhere really interesting and meaningful. But alas.

Having just finished Fallout 4, The Pitt is incredibly trippy to me. Firstly, the basic premise is nigh-identical to Nuka World, down to being able to side with the shithead raiders and become the new boss if you so choose. Secondly, it involves baby theft! Unfortunately aside from that it kind of sucks. It's briefly interesting to have to fight to survive as a slave, but once you're past the whole 20 minutes of gameplay that entails it then collapses into a dumb moral relativity gotcha. Will you steal a baby to free a bunch of slaves???? Maybe being slaves was secretly a good thing for them???? :smug: The biggest disappointment is that I had preconceived notions of an actual post-apoc Pittsburgh (even if greatly compromised) but instead it's a tiny craphole centered around one steel mill. It exudes an ephemeral "this sure is DLC" vibe that I've felt in a lot of other games before, especially the "oh by the way how'd you like to find 100 collectibles?" side quest. (See also: Anchorage's 10 intel briefcases.)

I think a big part of my reaction to these is that they're my first real encounter with this style of Bethesda DLC. They came out at a point where DLC was still a pretty nascent concept and subsequently these feel like a transitional state between the earlier Optional Plugin For Oblivion stuff (which still lives on in the Creation Club) and the more modern mode of DLC expansions. It sounds like Point Lookout is a proto-Far Harbor so maybe that's the one I'll end up latching onto. Broken Steel feels like it's The Level Cap and Post-Game DLC Bonus quests included! and Mothership Zeta sounds like it goes back to the weird offshoot plugin thing to cap things off.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 12:35 on May 10, 2021

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

John Murdoch posted:

It sounds like Point Lookout is a proto-Far Harbor so maybe that's the one I'll end up latching onto.

That's one way to look at it, although there's a whole lot less to do in it. And the DLC-enemies-get-ridiculous-bonuses is out in full force in it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The Pitt DLC was also buggy as poo poo, to the degree that the map geometry was completely broken at some parts of the buildings. Especially one roof wasn't in fact solid but on a very small area where the walkway they forgot to drew in was supposed to be.

Also IIRC the Broken Steel that fixed the stupid ending was the one that added the "boss tier" ultimates which were huge bullet sponges, and completely unfun grindfest to get rid of. Obviously this was some form of karmic balance, they needed to add stupid bullshit because they fixed the most glaring stupid bullshit.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The plot of Broken Steel is really dumb too. It's like if you watched Star Wars IV, and after destroying the Death Star the rebels had to take care of a smaller, unrelated Empire base somewhere else. It gives you a good lore reason for where the Prydwen came from, but that's it.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I think Point Lookout was my favourite, if only because it was something a bit different. It still might not be better than the worst NV DLC. My only memories of The Pitt are that it was just depressing to look at, so much grey and brown. Broken Steel added in some good stuff, but indeed the beefed up super enemies are a massive turnoff; I liked the concepts of some of the new dungeons, but in practice they were just clusters of said beefed up super enemies and weren't fun to play at all. I concur entirely with your thoughts on Operation Anchorage.

Mothership Zeta is awful. It was clearly supposed to be "the wacky episode" using the humour found in the old games, but they forgot to write any jokes or include anything that might be fun. In the end it's just a bunch of empty corridors capped of by a bizarre retcon in the entire series' backstory.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC Mothership Zeta also introduces the idea that the aliens instigated the Great War (at least, I don't remember any such implications from the original games) and I've always hated that.

E: ^Oh, that's probably the bizarre retcon you're talking about

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's also a DLC full of boring samey corridors where you use two kinds of guns to kill two types of bullet-sponge enemies who aren't interesting, and in the end you get tons of items that circumvent game systems (super weapon repair gel, super healing items, and ammo for your overpowered alien blasters).

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Zeta didn’t retcon the war to have been caused by aliens. Everybody just decided it did because they’re Mad At Bethesda I guess? But it’s not in the text, it’s not in cut content. It never happened.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Byzantine posted:

Zeta didn’t retcon the war to have been caused by aliens. Everybody just decided it did because they’re Mad At Bethesda I guess? But it’s not in the text, it’s not in cut content. It never happened.

For real? I could've sworn that it was at least implied in one of the logs you can read.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I know one of the captive recordings was someone who had access to the US nuclear codes, so maybe that's where the idea sprang from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
For the record, I don't dislike most of the F3 DLC just because it's Bethesda. There's quite a lot I like in F3, Skyrim, etc even if it sometimes seems like I'm the only one who does like a certain thing in those games... like the metro system in F3, I love how it's all connected together and how it's actually a decent depiction of the real life system.

Mothership Zeta still sucks though.