Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I think the boss in FTL is just a bad idea for a lot of reasons. I'd probably take the boss out before the time limit, even though I hate time limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want to like enter the gungeon so much, while it is very determined to make sure I don't.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Digirat posted:

I want to like enter the gungeon so much, while it is very determined to make sure I don't.

You forgot the part of your post where you elaborate on that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What ruins Enter The Gungeon for me is the weapon mechanic. It's just such a blatant step backwards from something like Binding of Isaacs exponentially chaotic upgrade system and it's further dragged down by the ammo mechanic ensuring that if the RNG is not in your favour you won't even get to use the interesting guns for long.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Higsian posted:

I think the boss in FTL is just a bad idea for a lot of reasons. I'd probably take the boss out before the time limit, even though I hate time limits.

Yeah, the flagship is far worse than the time limit in FTL. It plays by entirely different rules than the entire rest of the game up to that point, negating legitimate strategies for no other reason than to negate them while also hefting abilities that no other part of the game can prepare you for. Once you get really into FTL, you start realizing that it's sort of a waste of time to build for the game you're actually playing most of the time; since the biggest wall is the flagship, and the flagship behaves so differently to the rest of the game, your best bet is to build specifically for the flagship. It completely invalidates certain builds that are otherwise perfectly valid, because they're just not going to be useful in the one fight you have to do.

So that's a more generalized 'thing dragging this game down' I'd call up: Bosses, particularly final bosses, that behave completely differently from the rest of the game. It's one thing to have a boss that requires a slightly different approach, which can work really well (I mentioned one from Bravely Second in the other thread, the boss that's really good at countering a good player, but is totally countered by mediocre play), but it's something else to just force you to be good at something entirely different to progress, especially if it's the final boss. I remember Heroes of Might and Magic V had a final boss like that--it basically didn't even matter how good you were at the actual game since a huge chunk of the final map was an endurance test.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:14 on Apr 16, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

So that's a more generalized 'thing dragging this game down' I'd call up: Bosses, particularly final bosses, that behave completely differently from the rest of the game. It's one thing to have a boss that requires a slightly different approach, which can work really well (I mentioned one from Bravely Second in the other thread, the boss that's really good at countering a good player, but is totally countered by mediocre play), but it's something else to just force you to be good at something entirely different to progress, especially if it's the final boss. I remember Heroes of Might and Magic V had a final boss like that--it basically didn't even matter how good you were at the actual game since a huge chunk of the final map was an endurance test.

Drakengard 3

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, the flagship is far worse than the time limit in FTL. It plays by entirely different rules than the entire rest of the game up to that point, negating legitimate strategies for no other reason than to negate them while also hefting abilities that no other part of the game can prepare you for. Once you get really into FTL, you start realizing that it's sort of a waste of time to build for the game you're actually playing most of the time; since the biggest wall is the flagship, and the flagship behaves so differently to the rest of the game, your best bet is to build specifically for the flagship. It completely invalidates certain builds that are otherwise perfectly valid, because they're just not going to be useful in the one fight you have to do.

This was my major issue with FTL. They built up the game with clear and consistent strategies, and then the last boss completely negates those tactics and forces you to do the exact opposite. Nothing about fighting flagship is intuitive, it's a completely different game.

I can even deal with a bad hand because of RNG, such is the way of rouge-likes. However, for the designers to gently caress around with the actual gameplay for the final boss was just an awful experience that really soured the rest of the game for me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does the game hint at all that you have to switch gears and fight a boss? I already did my job delivering the message, those lazyfuck generals should do the rest.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing that annoys me about Dark Souls 3 is how rare Titanite Shards are compared to how much you need. You seem to need way more than you used to to level up your weapons. My Spellsword blades (Merc Starting Weapon) are at +2 and need 6 Shards to level up. I know it's probably intended to make you try other weapons but most of my other weapons require higher strength or faith than I have so there's no reason to branch out as I'd just be handicapping myself.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

One thing that annoys me about Dark Souls 3 is how rare Titanite Shards are compared to how much you need. You seem to need way more than you used to to level up your weapons. My Spellsword blades (Merc Starting Weapon) are at +2 and need 6 Shards to level up. I know it's probably intended to make you try other weapons but most of my other weapons require higher strength or faith than I have so there's no reason to branch out as I'd just be handicapping myself.

It's also because weapons only go to +10, and there's infusions to go along with that. It's definitely worth killing the fiery Taurus Demon by where the elevator to Road of Sacrifice is for the Fire infusion stone so you can maximize damage to start out, and just use a shriving stone or other infusion later.

I dunno how that affects the quest for Siegward though so do it at your own risk if you care about sidequests on your first run

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

They space them out really weird and make you think you should be getting a lot more of them then you are, and then all of a sudden you're drowning in Titanite Shards and desperate for just one more Large Titanite Shard, and then this repeats with Titanite Chunks. Something about the flow of it is really disconcerting and messes with a lot of people's expectations as to when you should be upgrading.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jia posted:

They space them out really weird and make you think you should be getting a lot more of them then you are, and then all of a sudden you're drowning in Titanite Shards and desperate for just one more Large Titanite Shard, and then this repeats with Titanite Chunks. Something about the flow of it is really disconcerting and messes with a lot of people's expectations as to when you should be upgrading.

Sounds like Dark Souls to me!

I've been super into Arkham Knight lately, and while most of the game I'd put in PYF little things (writing, mook dialogue, animations, awesome skins, overall plot), I do have to admit this game is REALLY bad at making long term goals worth it.

240+ Riddler puzzles and your reward is... you beat the Riddler. Hooray! The nice thing at least is they carry over to the NG+, so you don't have to do them again, but...

There's a full set of Gotham's Most Wanted (supervillains) apart from the main story, plus four more for DLC, meaning both NG and NG+ have a completion total of 120%.

Your reward for getting 240%? A new batsuit! ...it's the normal batsuit. The bat logo is now gold. Considering how many awesome skins came with the season pass it's pretty drat lazy. :effort:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Even worse was having to 100% to unlock the true ending. And it's a total loving letdown.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dead Rising was a game that did Zombies right, including the idea that it's not actually about the zombies, the zombies are just there to add urgency, it's about other people.

Then in Dead Rising 2 they decided to make it about chopping up zombies, which is fun for literally five seconds, and would perhaps be a fun, novel concept if there wasn't a million other games that did the exact same thing.

Dead Rising also did time limits right. It was the closest we were going to get to a proper Romero (when he was good) style Zombie game and still is :colbert:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Cross-posting from the FF megathread in Games about the recent PC port of Final Fantasy IX

AlphaKretin posted:

Can I just rant for a bit about how mildly irritating FFIX's speed-up is? You have to pause to activate it, so it's a pain to flick on quickly to speed up battle transitions or whatever, but it's really loving fast, to the extent that it's difficult to control Zidane on the field or not quickly die in battle, so you can't just leave it on. It's a stupidly petty gripe, I admit, but it just seems poorly executed.

I mean also the graphics and stuff but that's kinda :goonsay: and I imagine will quickly become well-trodden ground.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RagnarokAngel posted:

Even worse was having to 100% to unlock the true ending. And it's a total loving letdown.

I actually haven't seen the non-100% ending yet, so that never bothered me. Although I thought it was actually pretty neat. :v:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How is Batman even able to get so much done in a single night if he keeps getting side-tracked into completing copy-paste sidequests?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How is Batman even able to get so much done in a single night if he keeps getting side-tracked into completing copy-paste sidequests?

He's got Kringle blood, boy.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!
Night lasts like 18 hours in Gotham.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

khwarezm posted:

People spend a lot of time bitching the time limit and I don't get it. Its really not that harsh at all and you have the leeway to explore at least 60% of the nodes in a sector before it catches up to you. You can take steps to reduce it, like paying off mercs and heading into nebulae, long range scanners can also help in avoiding null nodes.
Any time there's any kind of time/turn limit in a game, everyone gets up in arms over it that it's too short and it ruins the game balance and I just want to do everything instead stop rushing me there's just too much pressure aaah this game is terrible why is there a time limit?
Look at Dead Rising. If you were following the story:
1 gave you the least amount of time to gently caress about. You had time to rearm/heal but not to really save people, you were better off levelling in a different run.
2 let you save a good amount of people and still have time to rearm.
3 lets you do everything, gently caress about climbing stuff looking for the blueprints, fight a nutbag then oh loook, still have fifty minutes until the timer ticks down.
I remember a ton of people having a cry over Invisible Inc's main campaign too.

Also ha if you think FTL was bullshit with it's luck/events, car-based FTL-like Convoy used to kill your tricked out convoy vehicles in text events.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Remember in Arkham City when Batman was gravely ill and then spent three hours collecting Riddler trophies?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Batman can't take time off, crime doesn't die of terminal illness.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I've heard numerous times how Arkham Knight's
a) "True ending" is bullshit because it requires 100%
b) "True ending" is just a short cutscene

Is it really something that can be called a true ending instead of a bonus trophy for completing every side task?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ddraig posted:

Dead Rising was a game that did Zombies right, including the idea that it's not actually about the zombies, the zombies are just there to add urgency, it's about other people.

Then in Dead Rising 2 they decided to make it about chopping up zombies, which is fun for literally five seconds, and would perhaps be a fun, novel concept if there wasn't a million other games that did the exact same thing.

Dead Rising also did time limits right. It was the closest we were going to get to a proper Romero (when he was good) style Zombie game and still is :colbert:

Whilst I do enjoy 2 and 3 a great deal, the original DR is a classic that I will probably always love.

You may enjoy Project Zomboid or State of Decay if you're looking for a good zombie game. Former's zeds can be fully customized (but a lot of people don't get along with the UI/controls), the latter is too easy and has bullshit special zombies but most of those can be removed with a mod, and I can't really bitch about the game given how much time I put into it.

Things dragging down 95% of zombie games: Special zombies with bullshit powers. You can do that sensibly, like cop zombies wearing their riot gear so they're way tougher, but when you start adding hunters and tanks and poo poo, it's not a zombie game anymore. Zombie media isn't about the zombies, as Ddraig said. There's a fuckload of games with zombies out there, but hardly any zombie games (doesn't stop people bitching about "yet another zombie game" of course :v:).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Croccers posted:

Any time there's any kind of time/turn limit in a game, everyone gets up in arms over it that it's too short and it ruins the game balance and I just want to do everything instead stop rushing me there's just too much pressure aaah this game is terrible why is there a time limit?
Look at Dead Rising. If you were following the story:
1 gave you the least amount of time to gently caress about. You had time to rearm/heal but not to really save people, you were better off levelling in a different run.
2 let you save a good amount of people and still have time to rearm.
3 lets you do everything, gently caress about climbing stuff looking for the blueprints, fight a nutbag then oh loook, still have fifty minutes until the timer ticks down.
I remember a ton of people having a cry over Invisible Inc's main campaign too.

Also ha if you think FTL was bullshit with it's luck/events, car-based FTL-like Convoy used to kill your tricked out convoy vehicles in text events.

I'm not sure how to approach it, l genuinely think that time limits can add to a game by forcing a player out of their comfort zone and creating real tension while playing, I might get pissed off at the time when I fail to stabilize a soldier in XCOM or whatever but looking back I always find its those sorts of situations to be where the most dramatic, memorable moments are created while playing. On the other hand I get it, its intrinsically frustrating in a way a lot of people don't want to have to deal with when they just want to play a fun videogame. I don't think it really matters in FTL or other roguelikes since its not like I'm missing out on interesting plot details or something and the game rounds are so short that you'll probably see all the possible events fairly quickly. But in a more traditional narrative driven game, like Dead Rising I suppose, it can be grating if it feels like the game's kicking you for trying to play at your own pace.

One thing I really wish developers and writers would stop doing is making the narrative super urgent and pressed for time when its not reflected in the gameplay at all. Somebody just mentioned Arkham City and that's really annoying in that regard, Batman's like ten minutes away from death, according to the narrative, but you can swan around the open world for five hours not doing poo poo about your poisoning? Why the hell would you even set it up like that? Skyrim is a bit similar, it has lots of 'Meet me here as soon as possible!' or 'We need to stop X immediately!' moments in the main plot even though you can reliably and are likely to put gaps of tens of hours between story missions while you fistfight polar bears for their eyeballs or whatever. It makes everything seem so poorly paced, static and often working against the player's desires, again, why would you write it like this?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Dark Souls 3 has confused me - The Witch on the stairs towards the cathedral was apparently replaced with a standard Worker with a pitchfork. Of course the doors open from the other side, but still... are the enemies randomised somewhat or what has happened there?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

khwarezm posted:

But in a more traditional narrative driven game, like Dead Rising I suppose, it can be grating if it feels like the game's kicking you for trying to play at your own pace.
Dead Rising and a lot of these titles (Not all, but a lot) are designed to be restarted and replayed though. You missed an event because you were fiddling about doing something else? Get in on the next playthrough, the game isn't that long after all.
Not sure about DR1 but DR2 can be finished at about half the max level, which you can get to in around two half-finished playthroughs of story and rescuing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kennel posted:

I've heard numerous times how Arkham Knight's
a) "True ending" is bullshit because it requires 100%
b) "True ending" is just a short cutscene

Is it really something that can be called a true ending instead of a bonus trophy for completing every side task?

If you beat the game without getting 100% the ending ends on a cliffhanger and actively tells you to get 100% to see the rest of the cutscene. It's when you actually beat it you find out that the cliffhanger in question isn't even resolved and just leaves things even more cryptic.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Dark Souls 3 has confused me - The Witch on the stairs towards the cathedral was apparently replaced with a standard Worker with a pitchfork. Of course the doors open from the other side, but still... are the enemies randomised somewhat or what has happened there?

Some groups of enemies patrol the area instead of standing still waiting for you to show up. If you want firehugs, you'll have to go looking for her (or wait until she shows up)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That's not it, she only patrolled up and down the stairs, and I went into the sewer area at the end of the path and then up the stairs and she was nowhere. I don't know where she went.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BioEnchanted posted:

They're not random per se. As mentioned, some patrol, but it also seems some have slightly broken ai that ends up despawning them. Doesn't happen often as in to many enemies, though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It doesn't completely drag down the genre (cuz I'll stlll play them, the campaigns at least), but I can't figure out how the hell some people play RTSes at higher game speeds. Like, I'm playing Starcraft 2 right now, usually keep it on Slowest or Slow speed, and that works. If I pump it up any higher to wait for some stuff to be built/produced, it blows my mind that people can process poo poo that quickly.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Tiggum posted:

That's because time limits are terrible. :colbert:

I find that just having a timer ticking down ruins a game for me. I can't enjoy it at all, even if I would have gotten through it in less time than that anyway. I pretty much see a timer, I stop playing.

This doesnt surprise me, I suspect that having anything in a game that even subliminally reminds people that the clock is still ticking on their real, only life while they're in fantasy land will disturb and alienate some portion of the audience

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ddraig posted:

Really? I feel like it was one of the worst done examples of time limits.

I got the game because I bought into all the advertisements that portrayed it as a goofy romp through a mall murdering zombies in wacky ways. Game started up and every mission had an obnoxious yellow timer bar, and half the time one hit the end because I was trying to actually have fun playing the game, it'd just kick me to the game over screen or berate me for not rushing over to do whatever the game wanted me to do. When I finally managed to ignore the fun part of the game to go do the stupid poo poo it wanted me to do, it put me up against a boss fight against a guy running around on roof tops shooting me with a gun I had no real way to deal with. And it was beat my head against this brick wall of not fun, or just game over forever.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I vaguely recall a post somewhere here that explained how they've scientifically shown that humans are the only creature who 'gets' their own mortality.

Like, if you give any animal a "This path hurts but takes less time, this path takes twice as long but doesn't hurt" experiment, the animals will near-always take the longer, painless route. Humans have a natural inclination to take the other route, because they prioritize the time.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Similarly, I don't like games that tell you your total playtime. Nothing makes me feel like a useless shitbag more than seeing that I've spent 60 hours of my life playing a video game!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I like time counters because it lets me see how much I've gotten out of my purchase, or how much "work" I've put into a game. It's oddly satisfying to see the numbers go up, especially in those instances where I manage to break into the three digits. A pet peeve of mine is when the game doesn't count the time correctly and does dumb things like tick the clock when the game is paused, minimized, etc. I want an accurate reading, drat it!

I also lead a busy life and have other varied and more social hobbies, so video game time hardly feels like wasted hours these days. :smug:

Though I could probably get better at working out more regularly....

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nuebot posted:

Really? I feel like it was one of the worst done examples of time limits.

I got the game because I bought into all the advertisements that portrayed it as a goofy romp through a mall murdering zombies in wacky ways. Game started up and every mission had an obnoxious yellow timer bar, and half the time one hit the end because I was trying to actually have fun playing the game, it'd just kick me to the game over screen or berate me for not rushing over to do whatever the game wanted me to do. When I finally managed to ignore the fun part of the game to go do the stupid poo poo it wanted me to do, it put me up against a boss fight against a guy running around on roof tops shooting me with a gun I had no real way to deal with. And it was beat my head against this brick wall of not fun, or just game over forever.

Where Dead Rising failed is it never managed to bill itself as a Way-of-the-Samurai-esque romp through a tiny little timeline repeatedly, but that's totally what it is. Each time you try and fail you come back to the start more powerful and even moving faster, so while the first time through is a race against the clock, your 30th time through you're wearing a clown costume and running like the Doomguy through the mall, rescuing people faster than you even realized you could.

It's built around doing NG+ and seeing what different ways you can run through it, but it almost NEVER tells you that. It's one of the best 360 games once that clicks though.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dewgy posted:

Where Dead Rising failed is it never managed to bill itself as a Way-of-the-Samurai-esque romp through a tiny little timeline repeatedly, but that's totally what it is. Each time you try and fail you come back to the start more powerful and even moving faster, so while the first time through is a race against the clock, your 30th time through you're wearing a clown costume and running like the Doomguy through the mall, rescuing people faster than you even realized you could.

It's built around doing NG+ and seeing what different ways you can run through it, but it almost NEVER tells you that. It's one of the best 360 games once that clicks though.

I completely agree.

A relevant thing that drags a game down, Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII what? does bill itself as doing something similar, and looking at the systems in place it might be pretty fun to play that way, except, the game is way too easy, so you'll never be forced to restart, and way too long (for this sort of thing at least), so playing through repeatedly is an iffy proposition. Maybe if dying in battle forced a restart instead of only eating an hour. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dead Rising was great because the Zombies were filler. Past a certain point, you just don't care about them anymore.

You will always, always freak out when you hear this, though. Always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atKUCxXanXA