Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unskippable cutscenes are trash and made it so Ill never replay Wolfenstein.

Im here to shoot Nazis on the moon, not sit through exposition while Im trapped watching people talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013
It turns out that you can die within a minute of starting the game if you want to, so at least I can check my loadscreen issue quickly. In-game cutscenes were trash when Half-Life did it.

Nearly an hour of gametime and I haven't been past the prologue.

e: Holy gently caress even quitting from the game to the main menu causes a loadscreen hang this is amazing.

Gitro has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Jun 23, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Rogue Leader on Gamecube was the first time I ever encountered the modern concept of detective vision, literally the only reason not to use it all the time was because it penalized your ranking at the end of each level.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

Im here to shoot Nazis on the moon, not sit through exposition while Im trapped watching people talk.

That's why I can't even be bothered playing it once lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Action Tortoise posted:

What the gently caress even is Destiny's story?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXs0R370LU

(My favorite part of this is the PSO theme at the end.)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

A long long time ago this magic space orb called the Traveler started roaming the universe, uplifting sapient races to be spacefarers gifted with limited immortality. In the very recent past it uplifted the four-armed race known to humans as the Fallen. Unfortunately, there are some space shrimp that the Traveler passed by several centuries ago that are still pissed about being passed over, and they defiled their very existence by dedicating their lives to the worm gods that taught them the sword-logic. This 'sword-logic' is like another set of physics entirely, that can encroach on the reality of the "real" universe - and in addition, it means that the evil shrimp people (who are now like big evil crustacean spacemen) can only be truly killed in the sword-logic world. Anyway the evil shrimp men assault the home planet of the Fallen, who are horribly horribly beaten - like basically their entire homeworld is completely lost. Where's the Traveler during all this? Who the gently caress knows - at the first hint that The Taken King (aka Sir Evil Shrimpman) and his fleets were approaching, the Traveler hosed off with a warp jump to parts unknown...at least to the Fallen. We, of course, know that it went to Earth to uplift humanity.

This...caused some problems. It didn't take too long for the remnants of the Fallen to track us down on Earth and begin assaulting us. The Traveler offered its protection, of course, but the Fallen already had the gift of the Traveler's light. Meanwhile, Guardians began testing weapons and playing wargames on Mars, much to the chagrin of the angry, mostly-peaceful Cabal already living there and now under constant assault. The Vex are off on Venus doing Vex things, like they do.

Suddenly, the Hive - the fleet of evil shrimp men - shows up. The Traveler is about to nope right the gently caress out of the solar system, but a "warmind" (giant supercomputer with almost unimaginable power) named Rasputin notices the charge in the Traveler's warp cores. Millions of calculations are run - Rasputin realizes that when the Taken King arrives in the solar system, humanity is hosed if the Traveler leaves, but might have a chance of survival if the Traveler is deactivated but still in geostationary orbit around Earth. In a split second, without asking any of humanity for input, Rasputin fires the entire nuclear arsenal of Earth at the Traveler before it can escape. The shattered pieces of the Traveler become Ghosts, the Traveler groans and dies, and the Guardians are in deep poo poo. Nobody alive really knows that Rasputin did this - in the act of firing the missiles the warmind also intentionally crippled itself, so people couldn't figure out what it did from the datalogs.

Dinklage's snarky deadpan Ghost was good and I'll never understand the people that think that yet-another-Nolan-North voice is somehow better.

Rasputin did nothing wrong

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rasputin is a posadist

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That's why I can't even be bothered playing it once lol

I unironically switched inputs and watched tv during the cutscenes because why the gently caress are they so long?

Doom 2016 broke my heart that the one time it locks you into a room for exposition a) exists at all and b) is the one level i didnt get enough kills to five pentagram the first time so i just quit playing and will never finish the game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Rasputin is a posadist
I can't believe the Ogdru Jahad were trots.

RBA Starblade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXs0R370LU

(My favorite part of this is the PSO theme at the end.)

I like the futuristic Steyr Aug Robabe gives the Guardian in the cutscene.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Barudak posted:

This is the biggest reason why I never played this game. Why the gently caress are unskippable cutscenes still a thing that ever happens in an action game?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Vex are off on Venus doing Vex things, like they do.

The vex are a hive-mind race of strawberry go-gurt pretending to be robots that have complete mastery over time and space. What do they do with this power?

They sit on venus and gently caress with anyone who tries to break into their secret time and space tower. There's an entire raid dedicated to just busting into the join and loving up their timewarp boss lord dude. Except he's not really dead. Because they just have to like, do the time warp again.

Also sometimes they invade mars because that's just what you do in the Destiny world. You invade mars and piss all over the Cabal.

The cabal are basically just every space marine joke and stereotype turned into an entire alien species. They're big bulky mole men that are pressure sealed into their armor and live their lives by a code of honor that tells them the only way to live is by fighting forwards and never retreating. That death is more honorable than retreat. Their general battle tactics are to throw tanks a things. If a tank sucks and fails, you throw a bigger tank at it. If that fails you throw a battle ship at it. There are several comedic data logs written by sad cabal officers trying to figure out why player characters in Destiny just respawn infinitely and act like complete jackasses.

None of these guys actually have story, well the vex did before the expansions came out and made it all about the Fallen and Hive and just kind of forgot the Vex existed, mind you. They just exist to be shot at.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm most disappointed that I can't be a big Cabal boy in Destiny 2, not even joking, I'd play one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
GTA Online: Parkour!

90% of user generated Deathmatch maps are "Parkour" levels: all the weapons (apart from maybe a baseball bat or crowbar) are up on a platform high in the sky. The only way to reach said platform is to climb, run, and jump across a series of objects that have been placed to form a kind of staircase.

If you have not played Grand Theft Auto V, it is not a game designed around the concept of platforming. Movement on foot is by default, slow and kinda awkward, and jumping and climbing are very heavily context dependent. Mario this is not. Obviously there are many GTAO players who ARE good at this, somehow, and so if you cannot play at their level, you get gunned down regularly because you can't get to where the good weapons are and ranged beats melee every time.

(Exception: Team Deathmatch is okay because I can at least play cleanup on the ground.)

I now know to avoid any invite with "Parkour" anywhere in the text but they don't always state this.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

nothing will top rockets vs INSURGRNT in gta:o

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

im pooping! posted:

nothing will top rockets vs INSURGRNT in gta:o

That at least can be fun. I have no idea how to play it well but whatever, you either get exploded or don't.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Destiny

Game, let me customize my Gummi Ship already

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

Destiny

Game, let me customize my Gummi Ship already

The ships in the game are literally just made by slapping together assets from other ships. I really hope 2 just lets you customize your own ship and be done with it. Hell, it'd even let them bloat out the raid drops by adding individual ship pieces instead of a single ship drop.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Digirat posted:

This is the biggest reason why I never played this game. Why the gently caress are unskippable cutscenes still a thing that ever happens in an action game?

They hide loading.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Guy Mann posted:

They hide loading.

Remember when Max Payne 3 had cutscenes that hid loading only it turned out 90% of them didn't and Rockstar were just dicks?

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Is it worth continuing to Mass Effect 2 after Mass Effect? Cause if it's the same elevators, stupid minigame for a series of skills, dialogue options that never match up to the actual statements, bland worlds with lovely mountains and unfun exploration, among god who knows how many other things, I won't bother.

Plot is alright. A bit generic, but the setting helps propel it along. It just isn't worth putting up with so much bullshit.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Is it worth continuing to Mass Effect 2 after Mass Effect? Cause if it's the same elevators, stupid minigame for a series of skills, dialogue options that never match up to the actual statements, bland worlds with lovely mountains and unfun exploration, among god who knows how many other things, I won't bother.

Plot is alright. A bit generic, but the setting helps propel it along. It just isn't worth putting up with so much bullshit.

ME2 is way different than ME1 in terms of gameplay. Dialogue, story, characters etc. are mostly intact, but it becomes a really solid 3rd person shooter.

There isn't any more generic world exploration and the buggy is gone. Plus you can bang like anything in the game because Bioware.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you didn't like the characters, you won't like them in ME 2. However, the gameplay has been streamlined and stripped of the most pointless aspects, as well as generally de-janked.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

steinrokkan posted:

If you didn't like the characters, you won't like them in ME 2. However, the gameplay has been streamlined and stripped of the most pointless aspects, as well as generally de-janked.

This

ME1 was a fairly meh "hard" sci fi story. ME2 is full on an Abrams' Star Trek film.

Shooting's better but they pared gear back to being practically nonexistent.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Remember when Max Payne 3 had cutscenes that hid loading only it turned out 90% of them didn't and Rockstar were just dicks?

gently caress you reminded me of this

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Destiny nonsense.

I really wish they actually exposed that a more in the games then they did.

All I remember from the first one is we found an AI! Now ot the moon! Green zombies! Now Venus, oh no robots, off to Mars! Space marines and oh its over. It felt like some interesting things were hidden in it, but why hide your content?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

CitizenKain posted:

All I remember from the first one is we found an AI! Now ot the moon! Green zombies! Now Venus, oh no robots, off to Mars! Space marines and oh its over. It felt like some interesting things were hidden in it, but why hide your content?

What confuses me is if they're trying to keep the gameplay and story separate, why bother having cutscenes between missions with story stuff I won't have an idea about in the first place? Why do I care if the Space Elves tell me a bunch of coordinates after gifting them a camera lens?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Destiny story, such as it was, was basically just a tour of neat locations where some stuff not involving you went down. You can read about the stuff if you want, but not in game. They got better about actually involving the player in the story with the expansions.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

They hide loading.

In games such as far cry 3, the unskippable cutscenes still happen when the game has nothing substantial to load because they're just dialogue, and you can't skip them as soon as they are done loading. They're poo poo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

I'm pretty sure each example you listed was part of a different storyline, the zombie bug aliens set up the first expansion, space elves the second and the mars finale the third. Half of the main storyline was basically just an excuse to go "Check out this poo poo? Aw yeah I bet that'll come back later, best have 30 dollars ready" while you just jump from point A to point B shooting robots for no particular reason other than because the latest NPC told you to shoot robots there. Then it ends with a raid that you're told is a bad place and you need to shoot it up because it's the robot home. But like, why? They spent so much more time and effort on the Fallen and Hive that any content involving the Vex or Cabal, even the vanilla storyline, just falls flat because there's nothing to it beyond "shoot bad thing".

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Counterpoint: I had more fun with 1 than 2 because I could make wacky guns with the mod system and abuse the infinite ammo to walk around shooting at walls like an idiot while everyone treated me as a Very Serious Space Commando. The second one felt like just another cover shooter (though I guess I made the mistake of not playing the class that could teleport + shotgun people).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mass Effect 1 sucked even more than Dragon Age 1 and I haven't played a single Bioware game since lol

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mass Effect 1 reminded me of Assassin's Creed 1, since they're both games that feel like proof of concepts. Almost like they spend so much time building the engine and tuning the mechanics that they barely had time to make quality content.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Mass Effect 1 sucked even more than Dragon Age 1 and I haven't played a single Bioware game since lol

Dragon Age Origins was good though, 2 sucked because it's concept fell apart really hard.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Dragon Age I was the best tactical RPG in years (and there have been few better ones since) saddled with possibly the blandest, least engaging fantasy setting and plot ever. Shame that the sequels gave up on the gameplay, the one thing that made the game stand out, and decided it was the world building that made it successful.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I played mass effect 1 quite a lot and played 2 a bit less and then mass effect 3 was like I dunno 12 months from being released and I thought "i'll play all the way through the first 2 and i'll be bang on time for when 3 coms out"

Mass effect 1 playthrough : to get things exactly how you want them to be storywise you must play through the game about 2 if not 3 times so that's three playthrough's of running around the loving citadel and doing the same boring arse awful missions until your brain leaks out of your ears,never mind, cause 2's better right?

Mass effect 2 playthrough : none of your decisions from the first game loving mattered anyway lol

mass effect 3 : lol gently caress off.never played it,why would I spend that much time for a poo poo non ending?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Mass effect 2 playthrough : none of your decisions from the first game loving mattered anyway lol

I think the only one that I can really remember (I'm sure there's a few) is the Ashley/Kaiden choice. But as no one chose to save Kaiden at all ever, it's not like it mattered.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fil5000 posted:

I think the only one that I can really remember (I'm sure there's a few) is the Ashley/Kaiden choice. But as no one chose to save Kaiden at all ever, it's not like it mattered.

I did but by the time I played ME2 I didn't remember why or even that there was a choice.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

But as no one chose to save Kaiden at all ever, it's not like it mattered.

I did :(

(And was vindicated when Ashley proceeded to be a huge poo poo later if saved)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
space racist (spacist?) or boring bollocks Mc.hairgel,and they didn't even show up properly in me2 lol,loving waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

It's a bad idea to make it a selling-point about how your choices in Game 1 will make an impact in Game 2. It's just not feasible because AAA games are loving expensive and they're not going to wall-off out huge blocks of content before you press Start. Witcher 3 had it easy because your choices in Witcher 2 amounted to a couple of varying conversations and a small sub-plot that hinged on one character's survival. The effect of choices that are span across sequels have to be either token or exchangeable. Ashley and Kaiden have their differences but they must fulfill the same arc, this also happens in the Banner Saga.

The most reactive game ever (Alpha Protocol, yes the gameplay is poo poo) accomplishes its level of reactivity by being ten hours long, but with the incentive for multiple play-throughs. While the Witcher 3 is one-hundred hours long and you'll see every situation in one playthrough, just not every outcome.