Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Cuphead:

Goddammit Baroness Von Bon Bon, stop sending out your candy corn goon. He's cheaper than uncooked ramen bricks and you know it.

The candy corn monster moves in an entirely predictable figure-8 pattern around the screen. The jawbreaker was much worse, imo (unless it was the first one sent out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Total War's modding tools are probably the least intuitive thing I have ever had the misfortune of wanting to use.

I figured maybe I set them up wrong somehow so I'd do a clean install of the mod tools and steam wiped the game's entire data. loving fantastic, holy poo poo.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I love the amount of loot that drops in Grim Dawn, but holy poo poo the sheer amount of equipment modifications that drop is maddening. They're all small, single-slot items that are difficult to tell apart from a distance but all give wildly different effects on your gear.

I'm level 24 (out of a possible 100) and already have nearly 30 separate upgrade items in my inventory. Sorting through them is a massive faff given how generally well paced the rest of the game is.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
If you're combining them manually there's a handy arrow to do it on the top left of the inventory, right above the actual slots.

Otherwise yeah enjoy having to click on each individual one that drops (unless they were smart and made them auto-loot now) and having them take up at least a third of your inventory and more of your stash. Also remembering what you need for the craftable ones, and if the right augment is the wispy green one or the wispy blue one and is this the spikey thing that goes on shoulders or shields?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

While it's nearly a perfect game, Super Mario Odyssey*'s camera drives me up the wall. There's a lot of times where I just want it locked in a position (from behind, most of the time, or completely side-on so I can gauge my jumps better), but nooooo, it's gonna go this way or that way, usually influencing the direction I'm intending to move. Yeah, I can reset the camera, but why is it moving in the first place?!

The weirdest thing is, I've read a lot about people bitching about Mario 64's camera, usually in the context of it not being very good, but hey, they didn't know how to do a 3D camera well back then. gently caress that noise, the only issues I ever had with 64's camera was when it wouldn't move. Otherwise it was glued to Mario's rear end, and it was awesome.

* A word I will never be able to spell on the first attempt, such as embarrassing or halloween

Totally, I've been controlling cameras in third person games without thinking about it all for like a decade but Odyssey made me stop and think "hmm, this is kind of bad". Game is pretty great otherwise, though.

poptart_fairy posted:

I love the amount of loot that drops in Grim Dawn, but holy poo poo the sheer amount of equipment modifications that drop is maddening. They're all small, single-slot items that are difficult to tell apart from a distance but all give wildly different effects on your gear.

I'm level 24 (out of a possible 100) and already have nearly 30 separate upgrade items in my inventory. Sorting through them is a massive faff given how generally well paced the rest of the game is.

I agree, but there are autocombine and sort buttons in your inventory that make them more manageable. You there's also a tab on the ui somewhere you can click to make all items of a certain rarity or lower invisible by default. I don't think there's any reason to have yellow or white items showing past level 20 or so, and turning them off reduces the clutter by a lot.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Nov 2, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
gently caress you too, Hollow Knight, for having signs pointing toward a bench that is usually a checkpoint but this time it's a boss fight.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I agree, but there are autocombine and sort buttons in your inventory that make them more manageable. You there's also a tab on the ui somewhere you can click to make all items of a certain rarity or lower invisible by default. I don't think there's any reason to have yellow or white items showing past level 20 or so, and turning them off reduces the clutter by a lot.

There's a million pre/suffixes, and I assume even more now, so I think it's reasonable to leave yellows on. I never turned them off in my last play session and I'd occasionally get yellow upgrades into level 60+. Definitely agree on the whites though, and I think the button is the bottom left part of the bar where your health etc is.

BJ feels a bit too fragile in New Colossus. I think it's exacerbated by not having clear enough feedback of where enemies are and what angle they're hitting from. Usually it's fine but some arenas have poor lines of sight or are just too open and all of a sudden oops, all my health is gone because I didn't realise someone flanked me and I turned in the wrong direction (or died before I could even respond).

Gitro has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Nov 3, 2017

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I finally decided to try switching the Witcher 3 movement mechanics to the better alternative mode only to find I was already on it. I tried the standard one and holy poo poo is it terrible. How could they possibly think that was a good idea? I honestly don't understand how such a fantastic game overall makes so many mistakes over so many gameplay systems. I'm feeling like it's gonna make my top 10 games of all time and yet I hate the movement, don't like the combat, and the loot and level systems are terrible. Why do you get a penalty for overleveled mobs when the fact that they are stronger than you in raw power, don't give much XP compared to main quests, and any loot they're guarding will be leveled to you anyway? Why are there such a thing as grey quests in this open world RPG? I'm doing them anyway because the way they build up the world is fun, but every time I get 1 XP for doing some grey quest it hurts me a little on the inside. They only give like 40 XP anyway CDPR why take this away from me? Why?

(As much as I hate so much of Witcher 3 you shouldn't see that as a recommendation not to play it. If they made a game with a player-made protagonist and a wider range of responses to go with, it might be impossible to go back to other RPGs instead of just playing it yet again, even if they don't fix the bad stuff.)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Futuresight posted:

I finally decided to try switching the Witcher 3 movement mechanics to the better alternative mode only to find I was already on it. I tried the standard one and holy poo poo is it terrible. How could they possibly think that was a good idea? I honestly don't understand how such a fantastic game overall makes so many mistakes over so many gameplay systems. I'm feeling like it's gonna make my top 10 games of all time and yet I hate the movement, don't like the combat, and the loot and level systems are terrible. Why do you get a penalty for overleveled mobs when the fact that they are stronger than you in raw power, don't give much XP compared to main quests, and any loot they're guarding will be leveled to you anyway? Why are there such a thing as grey quests in this open world RPG? I'm doing them anyway because the way they build up the world is fun, but every time I get 1 XP for doing some grey quest it hurts me a little on the inside. They only give like 40 XP anyway CDPR why take this away from me? Why?

(As much as I hate so much of Witcher 3 you shouldn't see that as a recommendation not to play it. If they made a game with a player-made protagonist and a wider range of responses to go with, it might be impossible to go back to other RPGs instead of just playing it yet again, even if they don't fix the bad stuff.)

That's just Eastern European game design for you. Most of them make TW3 look simple and intuitive.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
Wrong thread. Apologies.

E: i need to slow tf down

Yobgoblin has a new favorite as of 13:46 on Nov 3, 2017

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

at last count there are 131,860 total quests in Witcher 3 and even at 1 XP each that would level you up over 50 times. When the game released they didnt have grey quests, they had to patch them in.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Futuresight posted:

If they did that the game would instantly lose alot of its charm. Good writing and open ended-ness are often mutually exclusive.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Doesn't have to be open. Geralt is just a little too defined for constant replays and the main plot too restrictive. You could rip out the Ciri parts of the main quest and just make the wild hunt a massive contract. Then have Geralt be more like a Shepard from Mass Effect where there is a character but much less defined. Then add an extra conversation option to like half the quests and you'd have gone most of the way.

Things like the Bloody Baron don't need Geralt specifically to make them work. Just a witcher answering a contract. Things like interactions with Yen and Zoltan and so on would be the only things that would be harder to do. They'd require a lot more setup. But honestly, you could just delete skellige and add all that quest work to introducing and growing the relationships with Geralt's friends.

Not that I'm saying they should have made this version/type of the game instead of what we got, just that the only reason I can't see myself replaying this that much is because you can only play as one pre-defined character. And I do think it would have been possible to make the game as good without a very defined main character.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Futuresight posted:

Doesn't have to be open. Geralt is just a little too defined for constant replays and the main plot too restrictive. You could rip out the Ciri parts of the main quest and just make the wild hunt a massive contract. Then have Geralt be more like a Shepard from Mass Effect where there is a character but much less defined. Then add an extra conversation option to like half the quests and you'd have gone most of the way.

Things like the Bloody Baron don't need Geralt specifically to make them work. Just a witcher answering a contract. Things like interactions with Yen and Zoltan and so on would be the only things that would be harder to do. They'd require a lot more setup. But honestly, you could just delete skellige and add all that quest work to introducing and growing the relationships with Geralt's friends.

Not that I'm saying they should have made this version/type of the game instead of what we got, just that the only reason I can't see myself replaying this that much is because you can only play as one pre-defined character. And I do think it would have been possible to make the game as good without a very defined main character.

This all sounds awful and witcher 3 wouldn't be half the game it is without Geralt

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Having a blank slate open ended character (evne if the game isn't completely open ended or w/e) introduces all sorts of problems to a narrative.

About the only game I think thats handled that well is FO:NV and they get around it by making your character tangential to all the goings on and the excellent writing comes in the form of discovering other characters motivations, and not your own.

Personally I find the way Witcher 3 does it far more satisfying. Perhaps I've just played too many blank slate open ended characters, but I LOVE that I'm playing as a dude who has opinions on things and I get to rub him up against various NPCs in various character-appropriate ways. It's so much more rewarding being 'grunting glaring geralt' facing down a king because I know why he's doing those things and it's reflective of his world view.

So good.

E: also i agree with the above poster, all that sounds awful.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

This was confusing as hell until I figured out you meant rout (cause to flee), not route (path).

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Agent355 posted:

Having a blank slate open ended character (evne if the game isn't completely open ended or w/e) introduces all sorts of problems to a narrative.

About the only game I think thats handled that well is FO:NV and they get around it by making your character tangential to all the goings on and the excellent writing comes in the form of discovering other characters motivations, and not your own.

Personally I find the way Witcher 3 does it far more satisfying. Perhaps I've just played too many blank slate open ended characters, but I LOVE that I'm playing as a dude who has opinions on things and I get to rub him up against various NPCs in various character-appropriate ways. It's so much more rewarding being 'grunting glaring geralt' facing down a king because I know why he's doing those things and it's reflective of his world view.

So good.

E: also i agree with the above poster, all that sounds awful.

I feel like amnesia as a cover for not having the main character be an actual character is way more common and more likely to be bad.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Guy Mann posted:

I feel like amnesia as a cover for not having the main character be an actual character is way more common and more likely to be bad.

Get Even has an interesting take on the Amnesia trope - The main character keeps claiming that he remembers nothing, but his story as he tells it makes no sense at all because he is actually hiding what really happened. The insistence on not remembering really screws him...

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Wow lol it is TYOOL 2017 and Call of Duty WW2 has completely managed to gently caress up tank controls. I'm incredibly frustrated. Usually the keyboard controls the main hull and the mouse controls the turret so that it's pretty easy to do regular tank poo poo. In this one for some reason tanks don't have the ability to reverse so you're stuck with your tank turning all the way around and loving up the turret positioning. Want to reverse while shooting at another tank? Lol good luck.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Right but the protag wasn't the reason the writing was good. The protag was just ~there~ and the rest of the world is what made the writing good.

The point is that 'open ended character', in order to be good, needs to not be about the character. Which is a totally different sort of story. You just can't write an open ended guy in a compelling way because they can just be all over the place in personality between every conversation

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I specifically said wouldn't need to be open, just a little more open. :P

For example, I will never make a certain romantic choice in Witcher 3 because Geralt would never make it. If Geralt was slightly less defined and less obviously in love with one of the choices and have a huge history with the character then it would make it more of a real choice. It's less the character needs to be open and more that the character needs to have less novels worth of backstory and character definition behind them if I'm going to want to go back for a different playthrough. There's lightyears of space between Geralt and FO:NV's courier.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Tekken 7 is amazing but there's something off about the ratings system. In most games and rating systems IRL, if someone with a low rating beats someone with a high rating, they'll get a bigger ratings boost then if they'd beaten someone of their standing. In Tekken, the biggest boosts are for beating someone around your level, with diminishing returns for how much higher or lower than you your opponent is. It just means there's no opportunity when you match up against someone three ranks higher than you. You're probably going to get mashed and even if you do pull off the upset, you're likely to get very little for it.

Just now I matched up against someone a rank higher than me. I lost twice and he got promoted. I started to learn his patterns we traded games until I started battering him every time, by the time he quit, I'd won 6 of the last 7 and yet I didn't even get a promotion match.

It's meant to prevent boosting but if people want to artificially inflate their rank so they'll get destroyed against actual players, that's a price I'm willing to pay for a better rating system.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Futuresight posted:

For example, I will never make a certain romantic choice in Witcher 3 because Geralt would never make it. If Geralt was slightly less defined and less obviously in love with one of the choices and have a huge history with the character then it would make it more of a real choice. It's less the character needs to be open and more that the character needs to have less novels worth of backstory and character definition behind them if I'm going to want to go back for a different playthrough. There's lightyears of space between Geralt and FO:NV's courier.

Geralt plows women all the time, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Futuresight posted:

I agree Geralt would never make that decision if you never press the button that allows him to make that decision.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only choice in the Witcher 3 that felt out of place was whether or not you should kill Junior. It feels way too out of character for Geralt to spare a serial-killer surrounded by his handiwork, even if it is an option.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Serial Cleaner is a nice lil timewaster but it really needs some kind of indication that a level has been completed. Especially for the Bonus Missions that are film spoofs.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A physical thing more than a game, sorry, but man, I think I'm facing the fact that I just don't like thumbsticks. They aren't precise as I'd like, and too prone to proving a wishy-washy input (ok, go kinda left) when I prefer more solid inputs (Go Left).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

A physical thing more than a game, sorry, but man, I think I'm facing the fact that I just don't like thumbsticks. They aren't precise as I'd like, and too prone to proving a wishy-washy input (ok, go kinda left) when I prefer more solid inputs (Go Left).

Yeah, I've been having this issue too. For some reason, my New 3DS and Hyrule Warriors Legends just don't agree. This is the only game that I've had to recalibrate my 3DS' control stick for and I've had to do it like ten times now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

Thumbsticks are, and always have been, terrible. They're just about usable in games where you're just moving left and right and not up and down, but if you need the full range of movement then they're the worst. The d-pad is almost as bad. Games that expect you to use two thumbsticks at once are completely unplayable. Like, I don't know how anyone manages to play them. I've tried and it's just chaos. Oh, and the thing where you can click the thumbstick like a button? No idea how anyone manages that either. Same thing with clickable mousewheels, actually. If it's a button but also moves, that's just impossibly awkward.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

How in the gently caress do you always manage to have the absolute stupidest opinion about literally everything?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tiggum posted:

Thumbsticks are, and always have been, terrible. They're just about usable in games where you're just moving left and right and not up and down, but if you need the full range of movement then they're the worst. The d-pad is almost as bad. Games that expect you to use two thumbsticks at once are completely unplayable. Like, I don't know how anyone manages to play them. I've tried and it's just chaos. Oh, and the thing where you can click the thumbstick like a button? No idea how anyone manages that either. Same thing with clickable mousewheels, actually. If it's a button but also moves, that's just impossibly awkward.

How the hell do you have a problem pressing a button?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
TIL that every game I've played for the last twenty years was unplayable.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

If you don't get that that post was about me being bad at using controllers, I just don't even know. Like, obviously I know that people use controllers all the time. I don't think it's literally impossible. I just can't do it. I've tried many times over the many years that they've existed and I can't do it. Same with the mousewheel button. I always scroll at the same time. Can't use it. Why? How? I don't know. If I knew what I was doing wrong I might be able to fix it, but I don't so I can't. When it comes to using two thumbsticks at the same time, it's like some kind of bizarre sorcery to me. I have literally no idea how you even begin to do that. It seems utterly impossible. To be clear, this is not an opinion. It's not a preference. It's just a skill or ability that I lack. I don't know how you could possibly be confused about that, but apparently some of you are.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I don't like having to press thumbsticks down while I'm already moving them around either.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Pushing a button is literally the easiest thing you can do besides nothing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The only choice in the Witcher 3 that felt out of place was whether or not you should kill Junior. It feels way too out of character for Geralt to spare a serial-killer surrounded by his handiwork, even if it is an option.

Yeah, even with the thought of leaving him also resulting in "But he's ousted from his own group, people think he's crazy and he's left destitute on the street", it doesn't work great cause that just sounds like more opportunity for him to keep on murdering women, guy has to die.

Also Tiggum is still stupid from the sound of things.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

If you don't get that that post was about me being bad at using controllers, I just don't even know. Like, obviously I know that people use controllers all the time. I don't think it's literally impossible. I just can't do it. I've tried many times over the many years that they've existed and I can't do it. Same with the mousewheel button. I always scroll at the same time. Can't use it. Why? How? I don't know. If I knew what I was doing wrong I might be able to fix it, but I don't so I can't. When it comes to using two thumbsticks at the same time, it's like some kind of bizarre sorcery to me. I have literally no idea how you even begin to do that. It seems utterly impossible. To be clear, this is not an opinion. It's not a preference. It's just a skill or ability that I lack. I don't know how you could possibly be confused about that, but apparently some of you are.

Because you didn't say "I can't use thumbsticks," you said "Games that expect you to use two thumbsticks at once are completely unplayable." Try saying what you mean, rather than getting annoyed people can't read your mind.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tiggum's fine, his brain's just a little different. I don't always get where he's coming from (or agree with him once I get there), but he's always sincere, and different viewpoints, honestly stated, are Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Because you didn't say "I can't use thumbsticks," you said "Games that expect you to use two thumbsticks at once are completely unplayable." Try saying what you mean, rather than getting annoyed people can't read your mind.
I honestly thought the "for me" was implied. Did you really believe that I thought no one on Earth could use thumbsticks? Are you taking everything people say to you that literally?