Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

My complaint is really lovely in comparison:

I bought Splinter Cell: Blacklist during the Steam sale and noticed that Grim totally sounds Canadian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

Finally!

i mean come on

SHAKO 4 1 SOJ

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Action Tortoise posted:

Isn't it the same VA as the first, third, and Conviction? She's always had that accent.

I just checked, it isn't the same VA. She may have been Canadian, just the newest iteration is Canadianer.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

DStecks posted:

It's almost like a device designed specifically for playing games is better for playing games than a text-entry device and a menu-navigation device. :v:

I've used KBM since Doom and grew up on Quake(`+mlook) but I do have a controller for several games where it just works better. One thing I dislike though is I invert look on a controller(but not mouse), and a big issue I have is with Skyrim. Sometimes when I cave dive in that game I prefer to walk slowly, but KBM has 3 speeds(walk, run, sprint) whereas analog control allows a massive range of speeds and smoother walking animations which make it much more immersive. Unfortunately, the game won't recognize that I play with inverted look on my controller so if I want to quickly change input I need to unplug the controller and then go into the menu and switch from invert to normal or vice versa.

Skyrim is really the only game I have this problem with but it gets annoying when I'm trying to actually take in the atmosphere of the game.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

SpookyLizard posted:

Thats my point. It is dumb that they changed the design to include something youd always want (joysticks!), and then still have a bunch buttons that you cant use while using the sticks.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

It looks pretty straightforward, it clips onto the controller and you push the triggers up with your index fingers or the side of your hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fjIE-cKdAw

I didn't watch the video but it probably explains it better than I can.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This was made so that kids with motor problems and deformed hands could play videogames, so making fun of that is kind of dick move.

Actually the one I posted is commercially marketed to provide an "advantage" by freeing the players' thumbs from button presses.

There is a company called Special Effect(as far as I can tell, it is a not-for-profit charity) that designs custom controllers for gamers with motor disibilities. You may have read about it in GI magazine a few months back, but here is a link to the article. It's pretty informative and also kinda :3:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

kazil posted:

Yeah, besides bad shooting, terrible inventory, copy and paste planets, the terrible buggy, convoluted plot and elevators, ME1 was perfect :rolleyes:

I don't understand why everyone thought ME1 had these rich space exploration side to it. Every planet was basically the same. At least ME2 had the decency to have good shooter mechanics.

I'm not going to pretend that the game isn't tedious, as far as combat goes I actually think ME3 had the best system. Exploration seemed like a total afterthought in the first game and once you finish the valuable minerals sidequest, the only reason to land on other worlds is to do "real" sidequests, which as you said, are basically a cut/paste.

ME2 and ME3 did manage to give nods to the faults of the previous games through dialogue, and it turned from something dragging the game down into something endearing. Then again, lots and lots of people invested hundreds of hours into the series, so I may just be looking at the bright side.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I played through the 3 games as femshep and decided to do a manshep run on insanity(I've beaten them all on insanity so it's just for personal gratification). I played through the first game like 6 times over the course of 3 days for the free skill points and to max out my dude, then started my insanity run with the intent of playing all 3 games to completion. By the time I beat the first mission and started doing stuff on the Citadel, I was so burnt out on it that I put it down and haven't touched it again for like 3 months.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Pretty insightful post, I tend to agree, especially with TES or Fallout. The modern games I've been rolling characters who collect obscure items. For example, in the two newest Fallout games I've traversed the wasteland collecting every pencil I could find. I don't sell them, I don't throw them away, I don't even put them in a drawer. I've made it my mission in those games to carry as many pencils in my pocket as I can find. Same goes with wooden spoons in Skyrim. I have around 50 so far and I just like to think my character is so crazy he would go out of his way, risking getting burned or stabbed to death just to increase his collection of spoons.

If Fallout comes to the MMO field, I will most likely open a pencil emporium.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Nobody should feel bad about working for the Daedra in Skyrim, mainly because the Aedra don't reveal themselves so the Daedra are the only tangible proof of any deities. You can easily write it off as their divine will overpowering you.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, but none of that helped Grove Street. CJ's been off gallivanting through the state making himself rich and powerful while his home and gang goes to poo poo.

That's bullshit, I know for a fact that there is an infinite supply of molotovs, aks, sawn-off shotties and pistols in my house up for the taking. God drat Sweet should get off his rear end and blast some fools.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

The same thing happened with Doom 3, you get to a point where if you're anxious about the intensity of the game, you can switch to the shotgun(or force gun in Dead Space) and just run and gun. It basically becomes like Quake at that point, which is probably the exact opposite of a horror game.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Der Luftwaffle posted:

During I believe the middle of the game, you can break into the Detroid LIMB clinic and find a doctor's report on your injuries and how overboard Sarif went on your reconstruction. If anything, I was impressed that Adam didn't give him a massive bitching about it later.

I thought a big part of it was he was turned into a machine so he literally was unable to express himself in a manner befitting a human.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Polaron posted:

Someone hasn't played the Citadel DLC. Uncle Urdnot's got a present for ya! :black101:

Picking Wrex and Garrus for the final ride in the space car:

Grunt(sad): But I wanted to go with Shepard!
Javik: Fifty thousand years, and I'm still picked last.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Whoolighams posted:

Even though the KOTOR alien voicework got a little repetitive for me, I always loved hearing the Ithorians talk for some reason. Heelta da keeltaah!

Runga dihadun gahunka bee. Wannakum bes, ching palamule.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Ryoshi posted:

K dude, keep equating an input device to an actual platform and a GUI to a full game if it makes you feel good I guess. The menus absolutely feel like they would be far more manageable with a mouse and I genuinely don't see how you can argue otherwise. There is a reason console games don't generally have cursor-based menus: they suck without a mouse or touch input device.

I've been playing MGS2 more or less completely blind and it seems like there are a lot of "gotcha" deaths that it's almost impossible to anticipate the first time around. For example, I was on one of the bridges connecting the struts in Big Shell where there's a straight path from door 1 to door 2 with a couple of guards on it, then a path below and to the right accessible via staircase. I snuck about a quarter of the way up the bridge, hung over the side to dodge the guards, and started shimmying along. I let my grip meter run out since there was a platform right below me anyway, but when I dropped onto it the loving floor fell out and dumped me unceremoniously into the ocean. How is anyone supposed to see something like that coming?

You shouldn't feel bad about any time you get hosed up in MGS games, they are crazy in general and it's actually endearing.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Final Fantasy X-2 was pretty fun, probably my favorite actually. The only thing that drags it down is you need 2.5 playthroughs to get 3 of the best dress sphere, Lady Luck.

e* actually wait I may be misremembering, I guess you only need one of each dress sphere? In that case, nothing drags it down.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

There was a lot of unintuitive/trial-and-error stuff involved in unlocking things (walk out onto this platform and mash a button with no prompt to unlock the game's best ending!) and you could screw yourself out of missions and items pretty easily. Noting really game-breaking but it was kind of frustrating to have a game that felt like it was meant to be re-played several times yet was still as long as ponderous as your average JRPG making re-plays a huge investment.

i didnt start the derail i intended so i concede to your point

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I decided early on I'd use my PS3 for exclusives only. The one exception is GTA 5.

And I played through Fallout 3 on my Xbox and enjoyed it, but of course PC is better so I bought it with the Fallout bundle on Steam, and what do you know, after the opening video, the game crashes and I'm too lazy to figure out what's wrong with it. Kinda stupid when New Vegas works just fine on my computer.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

If you're pissed about TLoU, wait until you try it on Grounded difficulty, with no HUD.

*e and no supersonic bat vision

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Skyrim horses

Honestly you're correct and horses are more trouble than they're worth. If you have Dawnguard, Arvak becomes the best horse. You can summon him on any flat surface, and he effectively becomes a mountain goat when you need to scale a pesky mountain. All you need is a ring or anything that boosts your magic(he takes like ~130 mana to summon). Otherwise, walking/fast travel is the way to get around.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

carry on then posted:

Even back in Oblivion the only worthwhile horse was Shadowmere.

Yeah Shadowmere has a tendency to join you in a fight, even if he's several miles away at the time you start fighting. Arvak is the best.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

AssCreed III, the kill streak changed from "press a direction and a face button once" to "hold a direction and mash a face button". Brotherhood and Revelations were much better about it seeming less like button mashing and more like dominating everyone and everything. Unfortunately I've not yet played Pirates edition and I'm considering getting an Xbone with that as my first game. Any reason not to?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Work of fiction inspired by real events and developed by a multicultural team of varying faiths and beliefs.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Just wait until you can one-shot dragons from 1000 yards. It's a trade-off, you can become super powerful using in-game mechanics(technically not cheating), or you can intentionally handicap yourself to make it more fun/last longer.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I manage to do the same thing with those games, I roll a character and do every single thing except for the main quest. At that point, I'm so burnt out I just put the game down for 6-8 months, then say "hey I haven't beaten this game in a while!" and start it over.

So basically I do everything EXCEPT beat the game. I did the same most recently with Mass Effect, Fallout:NV, and Skyrim in that order. So my aggregate hours in Skyrim is some crazy number like 700 but I've actually only beaten the main quest once.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Tweet Me Balls posted:

I have been writing countless letters to video game devs about the inherent unfairness of exploration and discovery being a major part of modern video games but nobody seems to be listening. They keep releasing things like open worlds and dynamic content and branching storylines, and it is all I can do to huddle in the corner with a copy of a corridor shooter clutched firmly in my grasp, praying for a linear path out of this hell that man has created.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:hfive:
I did the collectibles in San Andreas until I had a decent gun and armor at my various spawn points. That's all you need. GTAIV and V giving you horrible unlockables is just another symptom of the weird, unfun direction that series is going.

It's interesting you use this as an example because as far as weapons spawns at your safe houses go, you need to collect all the items for the corresponding save point, and if I recall correctly, you don't get an armor spawn aside from what's already available on the map. It could be you remember incorrectly because at least for me the game was fun enough and the rewards good enough to collect all the doodads, fun enough for me to pump over 300 hours into it and get %100.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

rear end Creed Pirates

I got this along with a PS4 and for some reason when I'm climbing stuff, Edward will get to the top ledge of something and refuse to climb up until I release the thumb stick and press it forward again. It has led to some messed up chases or whatever but I have to say I've gotten used to it after a few days and it's forgivable, because that game is awesome and fun.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

DStecks posted:

Trevor Phillips is probably the perfect GTA player character in that absolutely nothing you can do as him is out of character.

I play pretty conservatively in those games, but the first time I met Trevor, I went wild. It felt so liberating to just be crazy while staying in character. A few missions down the road he's flying through the hills on a dirt bike at like 100MPH and I had the biggest smile on my face the entire time. It's really the first time I can remember a video game doing that to me.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Febreeze posted:

I like some aspects to open worlds over others. I never wandered around in Saints Row or GTA blowing people up for fun because it didn't feel that fun to me, however it was a blast to just grab a fast car, blast the radio and drive around at top speed until you ran into things.

Just Cause 2 had the tether, which made loving with people more fun, but I still played it to rampage around in vehicles. The game world itself was way too copy/paste with all the radio towers and various bases all with the same scenery.

Driving around aimlessly in open worlds is just the best

I decided one day to drive a car in JC2 on the main highway of the big island in a circle. The car handling is so bad in that game that after like 45 minutes, I had driven over 10 cars into the ground, and wasn't even 1/2 of the way around. At that point I stopped and just started playing like a normal person.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

TOILETLORD posted:

Thank you for making my ramblings make sense. It's like how in chaos theory? Or whatever the the splinter cell game where if you get a stealth kill you can push a button to essentially qte kill 4 more people automatically it's just out of place, because you don't really have control of your character.

i guess when any major game play element gets turned into a qte event or an unprompted qte, i don't like it when i feel like i don't have full control over my characters actions.

For the record, it was Splinter Cell Conviction(and then Blacklist).

Chaos Theory is widely regarded as the best in the series.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I agree. I was playing it one night and my wife was in the room and said, "What a cool, edgy game you got there, with all of the swearing". I hadn't noticed it until she pointed it out, but it really is over the top.

Sweetie, I love you, but you don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

Sorry, it actually is over the top though.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

slingshot effect posted:

The Fallout wiki is (mostly) incredible in its spergy minutia of stats and numbers and has completely wrecked my expectations for all other game wikis. Only UESP comes close.

Seriously the Assassin's Creed wiki sucks, it's either the people who contribute literally have nothing to say, or there's some sperglord editing everything so it's literally a list of the objectives you read in the game. No analysis, no history, nothing. It's total garbage and not useful at all.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

DStecks posted:

Yeah and gently caress games that give you poo poo like quest logs too, you should be forced to use a paper notebook like back in the good old days. And gently caress maps too, and gently caress saving your game at all, if you wanna play a game you should do the whole thing in one hideous sitting like it's Turtles in Time

Turtles in Time is literally the worst example you could have used because it can be completed in under 30 minutes.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Kalos posted:

Cerberus never had a specific characterization, instead just being whatever the writers wanted them to be at any given moment. In the first game, the end of their little quest chain has you and an Alliance Admiral discovering that they were a government-funded black-ops group that went rogue. This was pretty much entirely removed from their backstory in the later installments.

BioWare might have run out of money on that storyline but it was pretty clear they were definitely transforming people with some hybridized Reaper/Thorian tech, even in the first game, which was essentially Illusive Man's end goal.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Oh man this thread gave me the itch to play Mass Effect again, I was pretty burned out on it a few months back. I'm doing an insanity run with a manshep this time and my goodness, combat is incredibly boring on insanity mode. I'm a vanguard with singularity as my bonus power, so I just do singularity>marksman>adrenaline burst>repeat and it takes like 2 minutes of just stun locking and holding down the trigger to kill anything. And God forbid a lone enemy can shoot rockets, because one direct hit will kill you instantly. ME2 was much better(mainly because of checkpoints), and I know people hated on Mass Effect 3(I enjoyed it when it first came out and still enjoy it today), but as far as combat goes, it was the best, because it seemed the least monotonous. Lots of biotic and tech explosions(vanguards can explode basically everyone constantly).

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Oh God, I always think I'm going to have fun playing Mass Effect and its sequels, but planetary exploration is boring as poo poo. Mass Effect 2 sucks balls for planet scanning. They finally took their head out of their rear end with Mass Effect 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Polaron posted:

They actually make a joke about this in the Citadel DLC, and end up bringing the entire team (plus the DLC's exposition character and Cortez) along for a mission that culminates in everyone mowing down a team of mercs while Shepard scrambles for cover. :v:

Also James is unironically great. :colbert:

The best part of Citadel was in the final part of the mission where you have a pool of like 15 people to pick from. I picked my team of 2 and Grunt just blurts out "But I wanted to ride in the car!" and Javik says "50,000 years and I'm still picked last."