Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
The Secret World is a cool game for an MMORPG. But in the new area/expansion pack/DLC thing they decided to add a completely unnecessary shield mechanic. Now you have a completely separate set of items to level and equip in order to do any real damage to enemies. Leveling this is extremely grindy, but you don't do it you can't kill anything, no matter how much time you spent getting every skill and amazing equipment before.

It's tedious. Every enemy has a shield that you have to deplete by grinding that system before you can fight them normally. There are three different types of shields (all of them are functionally identical) so you get to grind the system three times over. The mechanics of the game are not affected by this at all, other than pushing a button to switch your shieldbreaker to match their shields.

It's painfully obvious they're just trying to retain a playerbase by making everything take a painful amount of time, which is a shame, because I liked the game at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Len posted:

Man TSW could end up in this thread a lot. The previous content DLC killed the interest of most of us goons. It added "dynamic content for end game players" in the forum of augments. To get augments you had to enter a scenario which as of right now, seven months later, is still just three different wave defense levels. Sure those have three difficulties and some random events but they're still just slogs of fighting through enemies while a timer ticks down.

After each wave there's a boss. Each boss has a chance to drop an augment, or you might get nothing.

There's three waves.

It takes I think 15 minutes to be over.

So you could spend 15 minutes dealing with this tedious bullshit just to get absolutely nothing useful and being locked from doing the content again for x amount of hours.

I think after launch they realized that's loving idiotic and patched in a random augment bag as a quest reward but hell if I know. I did them once and never looked back.

That system would've had potential if they had at least launched other modes than Protect the Chumps. If there's one thing I hate more than a painful grindy slog it's a painful grindy slog in which I have to protect NPCs.

Instead they just released it and then called it a day.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

GTA 5: Headshots. Specifically, enemies getting random headshots on you. If I can't reliably prevent a method in which the RNG kills me, it shouldn't happen. Instead, every now and then I instantly die when in a shootout.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga.

1) Quests that get marked as failed if you complete them "wrong". Early on some guy wants you to bring in some debts from some other dude. He turns out to be a blackmailing rear end in a top hat, but you take the victim's side, the quest fails when you turn it in. :wtc: I mean, I guess I technically failed the job he gave me, but that's an incredibly weird way to do it in a game.

2) NPCs that gently caress off to somewhere after giving you a quest. I can't remember the exact ones, but several of them give you a quest and then haul rear end somewhere else. Thanks! This is made doubly as annoying because...

3) NO QUEST MARKERS. Yes I'm a lazy spoiled entitled dumb idiot gamer but I need quest markers or I bumble around and never find where I'm supposed to go.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Skyrim's inability to let you finish quests in any other way than the intended. The daedra quests often have you doing horrible stuff, and while I like being evil in games I don't like being forced into it.

Or the thieves' guild quest that basically ends with you selling your soul to a daedra for some awful armor in order to beat an enemy you really wouldn't need help with.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Canemacar posted:

But what if you'd rather thumb your nose at the eldritch gods than play along? Or get creative and pull a reverse-Faustian bargain where you fulfill the letter of their wish, but not the spirit of it?

The Thieve's Guild quest is probably the worst offender in railroading you, especially since most people wouldn't want to explicitly sell their soul for crap armor they don't need. I personally just stopped the quest there and RP'd it as my character suddenly realizing his friends were complete idiots and backing away slowly.

Me too, but that leads to a secondary annoyance: it stays in your questlog forever.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Every source engine game: Crouchjumping. Why is this a thing that needs to exist? Can't the jump just be high enough without needing me to press an extra button, which doesn't take any extra "skill" anyway? It doesn't even make any sense, do you pull your legs into your torso to jump onto higher surfaces?

edit: Black Mesa Source was especially hideous about this with pixel-perfect crouchjumps required.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Terraria has some bizarre design choices. After you beat the boss in hell, you go into hardmode. This creates two "invasive" biomes, which spread aggressively and will destroy all the natural ones, depriving you of a lot of resources you need.

How do you combat this? You dig a three-block tunnel straight down to hell. Two around every chunk of land you want to protect. This is incredibly tedious, even in a game mostly about mining. But that's not enough! You also get mobs that spit the corruption over your tunnels so you need to build walls too. Still not enough? As you progress in the game it'll randomly spawn hidden blocks of the invasive biomes, probably inside your painstakingly quarantined "good zones", and you'll have to find and isolate those too which takes insane amounts of effort.

It feels less like I'm playing and more like I'm working now, except I'm not getting paid. So that was how far I got.

VVVVV

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Terraria stores characters and worlds separately, so you can create a new world and bring your character over there to access any biomes that aren't in the world you're playing now and then bring those resources back to your home world. The game actually encourages it with the way that you only have access to half the resources in any given world (tin vs. copper, etc.), I don't know if it's even possible to have a world with every biome.

Somehow I never realized this, probably because I'm dumb.

Thoughtless has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Aug 16, 2014

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

It doesn't stop you from playing it that way, but it gets annoyed with you, gives you infinite enemies, and lets cool toys for not being sneaky. FC3 did this same bullshit, where you got like 4x the points for not being seen when clearing the outposts. it made it a fun challenge, but hey assholes, this game has like, a whole pile of neat guns. Stop giving me fun toys and then insisting I not use them in order to get a halfway useful amount of XP.

This is always a problem when it happens. Every approach should give an equal reward. What, stealth is easier? Well make the enemies tougher to fight to compensate I guess?

Also stealth in FC3 was much easier than Rambo mode.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

The Mega Man games for the Wii have two issues. One is that they're too hard; when you design a Mega Man game, maybe don't make it even harder than the original series? Okay so I'm just a scrub gamer I guess.

But why can't I charge my blaster? Why was THAT downgrade necessary?

EmmyOk posted:

At one point in Adam's building you hear someone complaining about an augmented baseball player, something like "they're calling him the best of all time and he has a god drat metal arm".

As for something dragging a game down to an almost unplayable level, I found the brushwork incredibly difficult to do on the Wii version of Okami. Straight lines and circles were hard to do precisely. Straight lines were fine in battle when you could just flick your wrist, but when you had to cross a name off a list it was beyond frustrating. Circles to bloom something were incredibly frustrating as well, especially in the sections were you had to bloom multiple things within a time limit. The playsation version on the other hand made the brush simple to use.

Yeah the Wiimote doesn't do things like precision well.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

The thing dragging Dark Souls down is this thread.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm a guy that actually likes QTEs in most games, but Stick of Truth did a really poo poo job with them. I can never decide when exactly it wants me to input it or at what speed. I spent 15 minutes farting at Randy in the bathroom once. Got so sick of hearing "Kee-yah!"

I recently picked up Dust: An Elysian Tale. It's a great 2D brawler/rpg/metroidvania; but the combat is too easy. Even on max difficulty, nothing is hard to kill. Further, they increased the difficulty in the worst way, so on the higher difficulties you can die in one or two hits by most things. The controls are so fast and responsive, it's just a bummer that none of the enemies are at all challenging in a fulfilling way.

If you avoid using Fidget's spells combined with Dust Storm it's actually fairly challenging. It sucks to not be able to use your best abilities but hey, a lot of Metroidvanias are like that. (see Castlevania SOTN)

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Skyrim is bullshit for melee characters. If you get hit, and the guy knocks off a quarter of your life max, he shouldn't be able to sync-kill you from 50% health to 0. I one-shot every other enemy in the goddamn dungeon, but the Bandit Lord Godzilla rear end in a top hat is like 10 levels too high, no matter what. So what do you do? Well, you have to exploit the game.

If you try to block or something, the game doesn't give a poo poo and calculates the difference between "just getting hit" and "he lifts you up with his sword and you have to watch yourself die" without factoring in block. So you can just run away, or pathfind around a pillar or something, and heal up but that doesn't feel like a real fight anymore.

So your only real option is to just abuse the very easily exploited smithing/alchemy/enchanting system. But that turns into sperg mode in a hurry, since you're either artificially holding yourself back to make the game still challenging or you're just going balls to the wall with that bitch and unleashing some sick autismal min/max wizardry. Your options as a melee character are to be either a gimp or a god with smithing and it's really dumb.

Bethesda does not do balance. At least in F:NV, jsawyer mod or not, you don't have to exploit the game to beat enemies. Everything you do seems pretty fair within the game's mechanics.

Skyrim is bullshit for mages too. The combat turns into you stunlocking the enemy and doing about 1 hp (or so it feels) in damage with your destruction spells, and there's no challenge or fun to be had whatsoever. The damage part spells is way too weak but the stunlock part is way too strong, so you always win without effort against enemies that can be stunned and get destroyed by ones that can't.

Thoughtless has a new favorite as of 15:37 on Sep 7, 2014

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Arcanum is a remarkably fun game even more than a decade later (compare and contrast with the first 2 Fallout installments) but the maps are killing me. They're (necessarily?) large. Thankfully, you have an automapper and can drop waypoints for your character to across. Unfortunately:

1. Your character will randomly stop running if he bumps against an NPC, or a street corner or a fly.

2. The automapper only maps a tiny portion of the screen. You literally have to hug the walls and physically stick yourself into tiny dead ends to make sure they show up on the map and you won't have to waste time checking them out later.

3. For some random reason you can barely scroll the screen from where you are, and your character AI is actually worse at navigating around obstacles than the Baldur's Gate AI. You basically have to babysit or waypoint for any significant run across the city as you fetch quest.

Arcanum could have a whole topic about things dragging it down. Here's a few more select bits, other than the giant load of bugs:

1) No matter how burly your character is, you can't break open doors. No problem for companions though...

2) ...but these companions have the worst AI, they eat up your XP, and barely have personalities.

3) The game likes punishing you randomly by spawning enemies way above your level. I ran into mobs that one-hit me on the trip to the very first city, and quite a few other times too.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Project Zomboid has all kinds of clever little mechanics like using sheets as curtains so zombies can't see you, but you know what it doesn't have? The ability to boil water. It has rivers, pots and fire. But there is no possibility of combining these items for drinking water.

But you can build raincatchers!

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Fallout New Vegas improves on a lot of Fallout 3 but also comes with one major thing dragging the game down: the environment. Yeah, I get that it's post-apocalyptic but combining that with a 99% desert environment is just too much, everything except the Strip looks the same and I can't find any desire to explore. Fallout 3 was goddamn vibrant in comparison.

edit: The DLC is much better about that, but it doesn't help the main game.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

One more about Fallout New Vegas, I'm sorry.

I've killed every NPC in the Legion, including the leader, second-in-command, there's literally nobody left. Then, I nuked their ultimate stronghold. With a nuclear missile. A full goddamn nuke. It left a big hole and then I went in and killed all the ghoul-survivors too.

They're still sending killsquads after me. :negative:

Where are the clone production facilities man help!

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

They're probably thinking of Vulpes Inculta, who could probably be mistaken for a second-in-command based on some of the dialogue.

Which actually reminds me - if he hasn't gotten to Legate Lanius, then that means there's a pretty sizable camp of Legion soldiers in Nevada that haven't been wiped out yet because it's inaccessible until the battle for the dam.

Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention the game then, because that's exactly who I thought was the second-in-command. Still, it doesn't change the fact that getting attacked by NPCs that I can't eradicate gets annoying. Baldur's Gate 2 had something similar, but the enemies would actually leave you alone when they realized they couldn't take you down without too many losses, if at all - and I think I've seen other games do that too.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Yeah but getting treasures in wind waker was kind of a pain too because you had to get the wind direction just right and if you overshot a little too much for cruising backward to be worth it, you got to play the wind song again to point back at the treasure, and then again for wherever you wanted to go afterward. No minigame but still kind of a hassle.

They definitely could have made the ship parts more interesting. I forget if they improved it with the train parts at all in the sequel, which I never finished for no reason.

I feel like the train rides were worse, at least the sailing had this meditative quality you could kinda just zone out and relax in. The train on the other hand was just an unnecessary chore.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

DStecks posted:

Also am I weird or does motion blur in PC games always always always look awful? Like, nausea-inducing.

It's always the first thing I turn off personally. Dunno if the awfulness is limited to just PC games though since I don't own any consoles.

Then again I'm some sort of luddite who doesn't like a lot of modern graphics things, such as HDR and peripheral blurry vision.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I'm playing through Skyrim including the DLC. You know what this game has too much of? Collection quests.

Collect a ton of red nirnroot, collect 10 tiny pages in the most boring zone ever, collect 10 dwemer gears, collect 24 special gems, I'm sure there's more. None of these quests have markers and the gems especially are one of those things I really don't see anyone finding without a walkthrough. It's also not fun whatsoever but unless you do the quest it sits in your log forever.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

A lot of the time in Skyrim (on PC) you should just use the console, I've discovered it helps a lot with enjoying the game. This includes: leveling skills so you don't have to grind them (a mindless chore best left for MMORPGs) resurrecting NPCs (who love dying in vampire or dragon attacks), teleporting NPCs to you (some quest NPCs get stuck due to bugs, Shadowmere wanders off) and so on.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Skyrim is one of those awesome games where its worst detractors go "After 150 hours in this game is terrible because..."

I love Skyrim, it's just that it has a lot of things dragging it down and you need to use the console or mods a fair bit for the best experience.

For example, leveled loot. This means you can't proceed through the game naturally unless you want to be stuck with a legendary sword that barely hits for more than a wooden stick. It's easily fixed by console or mods though. The leveling system is a pain too, because the scaling only stops at level 60, and it's almost impossible to get there naturally, i.e. without grinding your skills. It's another easy fix.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Randler posted:

Street Fighter IV's matchmaking system is a piece of trash that matches me with people who have more than one order of magnitude more playtime and score all the time when asking for people of equal skill. And while that might be something to get used to the whole matchmaking online play still has significant lag spikes and freezes after multiple patches designed to fix that issue. It's like Capcom really does not want people to play their game against others over this new internet thing.

I'm quoting this for the matchmaking issue. Another game where this was the specific thing dragging everything down was Super Monday Night Combat. That's a sorta third person shooter/DOTA mixture game that's nowadays pretty much dead, but if you do play it, you can be sure to get matched with people who are roughly level one million with maxed-out everything on their characters. This means you either get carried or you get completely steamrolled, and the game was always like that; it's not because of the tiny number of players online these days.

Multiplayer games should really, really focus more on matchmaking, there's no better way to turn people off than either constantly dying or constantly winning with no effort.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

With all the Assassin's Creed talk and the fact that I like pirates, I figured I'd try the series. So I started with the first game, planning to play through them all (because jumping right into Black Flag seems like I'd be totally lost with the time travel/genetic memory exploration story). Oh boy.

It's not a bad game at all by the mechanics, it's pretty fun to play and I like the story. However, it has some Things.

1) I feel less like an assassin and more like an unstoppable juggernaut of destruction. Stealth isn't very good, but the combat is, and there's no real risk no matter how many guards gang up on you. I guess this isn't as much a bad thing as it is completely dissonant with the theme of the game.

2) Holy poo poo is this game repetitive, it feels like Groundhog Day. I'm doing the same thing over and over and over and unless the ending is the second coming of Christ, it won't be worth it.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Man, I want to like the new Borderlands Pre-Sequel, but like with the prequels (or...sequels, or whatever?) the wonky balance has a habit of making things pretty drat annoying. If you haven't found a good gun for a while it starts taking annoyingly long to kill even standard enemies, and with the sheer quantity that's thrown at you, mopping them up can get really tedious. By the same token, the damage that the enemies deal to the player fluctuates a lot. Sometimes you can just stand out in the open and eat shots all day long with minimal risk, sometimes all your life and shields are blasted away in half a second with little indication as to what has just killed you.

Borderlands 2 only had this problem at the higher difficulties. It was well balanced on normal and hard or whatever they were called, but above that it got ridiculous. Lagging behind one level in guns? Well, you're useless now!

Actually most of BL2's problems appear only at the higher difficulties, like the necessity of using slag. If you have to debuff every enemy with slag before they're killable, you might as well not have the slag at all. Also some characters didn't scale at all, notably Zer0. Like sniping? Too bad, it's not a viable playstyle anymore.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Alpha Protocol, the hacking minigame. This is literally the worst hacking I've ever done in a game. Maybe there's something wrong with my eyes but the time limit isn't near long enough when you consider that the words keep switching places.

Controlling the menus with a mouse is also like pulling teeth.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is fun to play with friends, until one of them picks Conflux and walks over everyone with zero effort.

I wish they'd put in at least a token effort of balancing that one. Then again, the base game has badly balanced factions too, like Inferno, which isn't really good against anything.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Well I complained about the hacking minigame in Alpha Protocol earlier, now I'm playing the game on hard.

I'm not entirely sure how this is supposed to be possible at all without just using the EMP grenades to instantly hack them. I don't have Matrix reflexes here goddammit.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I also prefer the original BoI graphics.

So on a different note, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. These environments are terrible. I'm a big 80s fan and I still don't see why you'd make every part of the game eye-searing bright neon colors. It sucks because it's great fun otherwise.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

7 Days to Die. Probably the best zombie survival early alpha crafting sandbox, but goddamn is it difficult. There's dog enemies. They're basically impossible to kill with anything but a headshot, and they deal so much damage to you that even full armor and health won't keep you up for long. These spawn a lot in the cities.

Additionally it has a bizarre and frustrating health system. Everytime you die, eat bad food or similar, you lose max hp and stamina. It takes ages to build the max health back up and can only be done with antibiotics (which you'll never find) and venison stew, which restores it one point at a time and can't be eaten if you're full. It restores one point of health, and you lose ten by dying. You also need to farm ingredients for the stew. When you have like 10% of normal hitpoints, you die a lot more easily, which effectively resets the process. I'm tempted to just mod the game to do away with this stupidity, isn't loosing my inventory enough punishment, game? ISN'T IT?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

More on 7 Days to Die.

Cooking eggs requires water. The water has to be pre-boiled, because I guess it doesn't boil when you cook eggs in it? The water also comes in glass jars, which are consumed upon use. You can only cook one egg at a time, also, and they give about as much nutrition as one egg in real life, making it a huge waste of glass jars to make eggs at all.

The city biome has instantly respawning zombies, meaning every time you shoot one, another spawns. This means that the best way to deal with the city is to dig a giant pit and lure all the zombies in there, then seal it so they can't get out. This prevents more zombies from spawning. I mean, I get that you'd want hordes but why do I even have guns when I can't earn a single second of peace with them?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

I've never played this game, but you boil water to sanitize it if you're not confident of the source. Which I guess would be reasonable after a zombie apocalypse.

Yeah but the water boils while you cook the eggs anyway. Maybe I'm just an idiot, dunno anything about actual survival.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

One gil undercutting is nothing.

Electrum ingots went from 2500+ down to barely 300 gil on my server they undercut each other so badly. It still hasn't recovered. I'm talking stacks I used to get over 100k for don't even cover the cost of materials anymore. Almost every craftable thing other than endgame has suffered the same for some reason.

This sounds like every MMORPG, it's always better to sell raw materials rather than anything crafted.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

I've put over a hundred hours into Fallout: New Vegas over the years but I still don't know how to play caravan.

My caravan experience was choosing a deck, and then not being able to do anything but discard cards and then I lost. I read through the instructions despite my eyes glazing over and I still couldn't figure out how to make a deck that doesn't just discard itself.

At least it's optional, I guess.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

The thing dragging Guild Wars 2 down for me was the storyline. It's fairly interesting stuff, if a bit generic, but your character is the central hero. Then at some point this incredibly bland Mary Sue NPCs character comes in, becomes the commander of all the armies and the story switches to focusing entirely on him, and you basically do chores to help this guy you don't care about at in the slightest. He doesn't do much either since you're still the one doing all the work, but all the other NPCs praise him.

It's kind of a silly thing to be annoyed at in an MMORPG but it ruined a perfectly serviceable story.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

So XCOM: Enemy Unknown has this fantastic bug where aliens sometimes teleport right next to your units. Now and then, aliens will spawn basically right on top of your units, or in areas you have clear view over. It's not like they drop in from the roof either, because there is no high ground on this particular map I'm stuck on. This is hideously aggravating in the late game when the aliens doing it are muton elites and sectopods who spawn way too close to take care of in the one turn you get before they stomp you into dust.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

If unactivated aliens find you on their move, they run for cover, same as if you find them, and won't shoot you that turn. It's just that they move so little when unactivated that the odds of this behavior being to your advantage are poor. What's more frustrating to me is when they will actually retreat, rather than just looking for cover--because once they're somewhere you can't shoot them, they will sit there in overwatch, waiting for you, forever if necessary.

This is how it's intended to work but when the teleport/patrol glitch happens and the aliens appear right in the middle of your squad, they sometimes shoot first also.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

So I'm playing World of Warcraft (because my boyfriend is away at work for a month) and I have a pretty dumb complaint. Leveling/questing is way, way too easy now. Like, I can run around the zones aggroing as many mobs as I feel like and not even be remotely close to dying. At least in the previous expansions of this I remember pulling multiple mobs was kinda risky. Now it's totally effortless.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

Such a charming game, but yes, very difficult to control beyond a few units/unit types. I liked abusing the gibbing mechanic and winning by attrition, because I was not nearly as good at controlling my creatures AND my wizard as the AI was.

Intestinal Vaporization :3:

I think this is how you're supposed to play it, I played that game to death but goddamn was it hard without spells that either remove units from play permanently (like James' mole), instantly convert them, or gib them. Killing just isn't enough.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

RAGE. I honestly like(d) this game. The first half, anyway, after which it starts getting ridiculously repetitive. Hmm I wonder if this room will keep me locked in while a thousand mutants slowly crawl from every hole, requiring no effort to mow down. Oh, how did I guess? That's every third room in the game.

Edit: Also unskippable dialogue which gets real grating if you need to replay a section for any reason.

Thoughtless has a new favorite as of 16:05 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Dead Island probably has more negatives than positives but one thing that really drags it down is this: enemies knocking you down. I can't imagine many worse mechanics than enemies taking away control of your already clumsy and stiff character for 5-10 seconds.

There's also zombies who throw knives at you and just about instantly kill you. I have no idea how zombies got so good with thrown weapons.