Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There's a bugbear I have with FPS games that either give enemies weapons that I can't use, or give me weapons that you never see any other character using, and the reason I feel this way is probably too much Half-Life 2. I don't like the interaction with the snipers because they're actually just a hidden entity spewing bullets down the blue-death beam - you never see anyone firing the rifle, much less you. Meanwhile Gordon gets a hold of a rebar crossbow and a .357 magnum that were seemingly put in the world exclusively for his benefit, along with their ammunition - the closest you get to seeing anyone else using them is a corpse kind of sort of posed nearby.

Far Cry 3 is better about this, but there are still a few guns that you can only purchase from stores, and will never encounter in the single-player campaign otherwise.

Enemy soldiers in FEAR will use every weapon in the game against you (IIRC) except for the pistols - probably because it would require a whole bunch of new animations. Still, I can deal.

In Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, any human NPC can use any weapon - unfortunately this sometimes means an enemy will reach some interesting unique weapon before you can, which can be really confusing and occasionally even make it impossible for you to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Then the deathclaws don't stop for motorcycles, the motorcycles stop for deathclaws.

And they'd have to be faster than motorcycles because giving the player a way to easily outspeed deathclaws goes against everything I've ever known.

Now I'm imagining a future Fallout player cruising in a car, looking sideways out the window and seeing a deathclaw just kind of walking alongside at the same pace.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Persona 3 FES: There's a status condition, I forget which one it is, I guess it's Fear, but it makes every hit against you critical and sometimes causes you to lose your turn. It wouldn't be a problem normally, but when you encounter groups of 2-5 enemies who can cast it on the entire party, even if it misses on 2-3 of your party members, it will probably get most of you if all of the enemies are casting it, which they will be. The safest thing to do is run, but since it makes you lose your turn you can't always do that (you can only tell your player character to run, not the rest of the party. And if he dies it's a game over.)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

The other problem with the Far Cry 3 wingsuit is that if you haven't deployed your parachute yet hitting the terrain in any way kills you instantly. So I would keep taking running jumps from ridges and dying when they aren't quite steep or high enough.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Febreeze posted:

But hey, if that's fair game, when I finally played Half Life 2 years after it came out I found it to be a tedious slog in several places. gently caress the buggy section, it goes on so long. At least the airboat was fun to control.

I kind of have to be of a certain mindset when I'm playing the buggy section. If I set my own pace and don't mind poking around the scenery, it's really neat - a post-apocalyptic road trip with lots of little stories along the way. If I'm actually more looking forward to the fights at the end of Sandtraps and try to rush through it, it's a slog.

I do like that it actually gives you a sense of covering a long distance, but I guess it would be better if it was possible to do that without going on for such a long time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah, it was really cool the first time because there's a ton of optional content you can explore. Once you explore it all and/or figure out that you have no real benefit to do so since it's the modern equivalent of grabbing an ammo pack in Doom only to open up a monster closet that uses up all of said ammo then it loses its luster.

If you don't use the extra ammo right away it's kind of let down by the dynamic resupply system that'll just crap out yet another box of SMG or pistol ammo once your health is full.

e: why do those boxes float in water anyway? Bullets are heavy!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Oh, something different. Metro: Last Light has the game's only (named) female character in a sex scene with the PC after meeting him in person… three times? In the middle of an improvised medical ward with transparent plastic-wrap walls. Yeah, that really gets you in the mood. It feels like the developers were just desperate to show you some titties.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I like to use the rocket launcher for the dual-giant fight over the pit of molten iron just a bit later because it's annoying to contend with two of them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Breasts are secondary sexual characteristics, genitals aren't.

I don't think he said they were? :confused:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Resident Evil 4: Maybe it's just because I read Dark Id's LP of it, but I can't help but notice that the architecture of Salazar's castle seems to be 95% hallways and foyers, with the actual functions of the building spread ridiculously thin, and it's kind of annoying. That and the cannon pointed at the castle's own gate. :psyduck:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Oh, yeah, I had forgotten the lava pit, probably because I hadn't gotten there yet in my current playthrough. That bit's annoying because you can't deal with the fire-dragon-statue-things when they're directly in front of you. Still, kind of missing out on opportunities for arena design when it's just hallways all the way down.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I'm not sure if it's worse to have a game with no bathrooms at all, or to have a game with one bathroom at some point, leaving you wondering where the rest of them are.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Persona 3 FES: I bought this instead of Persona 3 Portable, mostly because it was way cheaper on the Playstation Store. Apparently one feature it lacks that P3P has is direct control of the other 3 of your party members, but I haven't missed it for the most part. Until now, when I'm at a high level and many party members have learned "(Element) Break" skills, which negate an enemy resistance to an element that they normally don't take any damage from. The AI is much too inclined to cast these skills, and they'll tend to do it on the enemies that are downed or have low HP, i.e. will not last much longer anyway. Mitsuru casting Ice Break was helpful in one boss fight, but when you're just dungeon crawling, it's a waste of MP.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This derail is the worst thing. I don't care anymore.

Persona 3 FES's add-on The Answer really could have done without forcing me to level grind straight out of the gate. Also not giving me a chance to refill my party's MP before the first big battle - it might have been defensible if MP-restoring items had been made available up to that point, but they weren't.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Doctor Bishop posted:

Not to contribute to that idiotic derail, but on the topic of fine control, a thing drags a lot of PC shooters down for me is mouse acceleration. I mean, is it really so hard to include an option to turn that nonsense off, even if it's just in a .cfg or .ini file? It may be great for when you're using the mouse cursor for most other things, but when playing a game that requires the kinds of mouse movements that shooters do, it just makes things so much harder than they need to be. A particularly bad example would have to be F.E.A.R. 2, since the first F.E.A.R. not only had an option to turn mouse acceleration off, it even had a slider to determine exactly how much mouse acceleration you want if you're the kind of person who actually likes mouse acceleration for some reason, but not the second one. Nope. No such options here.

In my opinion FEAR 2 was a step backward from FEAR in essentially every respect.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Thoughtless posted:

edit: Black Mesa Source was especially hideous about this with pixel-perfect crouchjumps required.

This bothered me too, so I changed one of the .cfg files to increase the uncrouched jump height. You still need to crouch-jump for a lot of things but it brings them a little closer in line anyway.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Byzantine posted:

dogfighting the US Air Force over not-Hoover Dam.

GTA: New Vegas

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

Stealth was easier, but the perfect stealth was somewhat difficult, especially with how bullshity some of the enemies were with spotting you. It wasn't "no alerts" it was unseen, which was pretty loving lame. Even Metal Gear forces enemies to have to actually get a chance to call in an alert, and gives you a chance to incapacitate someone before they go full on alert mode.

Don't remember if the game gives you more points for takedowning dudes either, but I'm pretty sure it does.

All of this is to the side of course of the bullshit heavies who take repeated headshots to die and whose takedown is a separate skill which doesn't work with the others and can only be unlocked like half way through the game.

Clearing an outpost is 500xp; clearing it with no alarms is a small bonus, like 550 maybe? While clearing it undetected is 1500, and usually involved some sort of fluke when I did it (a truck of Rakyat in the same area, tiger wandering by, etc.)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Honestly I'm not sure you could buy filters in Metro: Last Light, and there was only one place you could actually buy them in 2033. One thing that helps is that when you swap your gas mask, it gives you a five minute reset.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Here's something I thought dragged down Far Cry 3: the loving story. The gameplay is fantastic. I loved ghosting outposts with a bow and a knife or sneaking around and creating minefield/c4 deathtraps or hunting wild animals (and enemies) in the jungle. I loved everything except playing the story missions. It feels cheap to just knock me upside the head in a cutscene. And that poo poo with Buck? Let's be real. There wouldn't have been a Buck quest. By the time you meet him you're so far down the rabbithole you'd have just tortured him.

I really wish you could skip the story sequences. Just because they're all in first-person, doesn't mean they aren't cutscenes and should be skippable as such. The gameplay is really solid, the story is just uncomfortable.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

You have to admit that "murder hobo" wouldn't look as good on a resumé.

Actually that kind of reminds me: Borderlands 2 has characters constantly being impressed that I'm a "vault hunter" without really ever making clear what that means or why it's so special. It seems like anybody could call themselves one.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Fallout New Vegas has NPCs called "prospectors" who are sort of meant to be like that. I don't think they'd complete quests for you but iirc the concept behind them was you might find one wandering out in the desert or exploring a dungeon, they'd be like little player characters doing their player character thing. Of course I don't know how much of that made it into the game proper; I've only ever seen one and he just hung around Primm walking aimlessly around the sheriff's office.

I saw one hanging around Broc Flower Cave once, and another in the vaguely defined hilly area between Goodsprings and Primm. You find their corpses way more often than you find live ones.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Pokemon Y: I like how you can buy different clothes for your character, but it seems kind of silly that you can only buy the warm-looking down jacket after you've explored a frozen cave and traversed a road so snowbound that you have to ride on the back of a mammoth to travel on it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Byzantine posted:

IIRC, some of the invisible walls are also there to keep high-level monsters like Deathclaws from strolling into the towns and killing everybody.

Late in my first playthrough of Fallout 3 I had a really interesting bug where a Deathclaw would spawn in the very middle of Megaton and attack everyone around.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

I remember Regulator HQ in Fallout 3 being an absolute nightmare for really dangerous multiple spawns like deathclaws and radscorpions (and robots and yao guai).

After a while I just had to stop taking that perk because the regulator lady would run away from the dangerous creatures and it was impossible to get any benefit from it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Persona 4: the fishing minigame is poorly explained and also hard on my fingers.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

F.E.A.R: The only reason to use the pistol is so you can pick up another one and use the badass and surprisingly efficient dual pistols. Which makes it a real disappointment that pistols only ever appear singly, and if you backtrack between the last two places you saw a pistol, you'll still only have 72 bullets, which isn't really enough to use them for more than a couple of rooms (36 shots per "clip.) If you drop the pistols for another weapon, it's inordinately difficult to ever use them again.

The Perseus Mandate expansion pack, while flawed in many respects, puts pistols two-at-a-time whenever they're placed in a level, which is slightly less realistic but SO much more convenient.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Maybe there's a fix that I don't know about :shrug:

The fix is: play it on PC. Apparently the PS3 and New Vegas' engine just don't get along.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Speaking of Mirror's Edge, I would have liked the time trials, but the points you have to hit are so small and specific that you really have to proceed via a specific path and set of moves to hit them, which they never make any effort to suggest. I think they'd have been better if they had either fewer or larger checkpoint areas, just giving you a handful points on the map to find the fastest way between without having to double back or climb to the top of a specific air conditioner somewhere along the way.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

F.E.A.R.: there's a section scripted of enemy chatter between Norton Mapes and a bunch of ATC goons late in the game that I can never, ever hear in its entirety because the goons in question hear me and interrupt it as soon as it triggers. Annoying.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

To me it's the difference between Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. Both games require your input to go anywhere, but Fallout 3 is much more overt about it - the radio is "Hey the Lone Wanderer did a thing," whereas the radio in New Vegas is more like "a thing happened to these people" without necessarily mentioning the player. New Vegas appears to have more interests at play in its world besides your own, so that makes sense when you hear it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

It's been a while since I've ever side with the NCR (they are chumps) but I don't remember it ever being that you become a member of the faction proper, like actually being enlisted and poo poo. I think some factions offer you a token membership when you culminate a major questline or hit a certain level of reputation, but that's like an honorary degree kinda thing.

The end game quests at idolized reputation will get Colonel Moore (aka that bitch everyone hates) to salute you, and you are basically at the point where you can order soldiers from base to base on reputation alone, but you never have an official rank. One thing troopers will say when you talk to them is, "if you were serving, you'd be halfway to general by now."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

I loved New Vegas; Old World Blues, but holy poo poo did it do some annoying things.

The soundtrack is repetitive. Often times a track would end and then play again. And then they added that song that sounds like a funeral dirge, Which doesn't fit the general tone.

The dialogue is long winded, especially the 20 minute exposition dump at the beginning.

Also, gently caress the nightstalkers. Why are there so many goddamn nightstalkers?

Old World Blues has fun characters, an interesting setting, some wild new loot, and piss-awful gameplay. Nothing ever stays dead, and everything spawns right on top of you. Because someone thought snipers were too good, apparently. Using the melee weapons that become available there helps, but doesn't fix the enemy spawning decisions.

There are some mods to add more songs to the soundtrack, at least.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I have a whole rant about how they could have designed the Big Empty if they wanted to change the gunplay in a way that wasn't so punishingly grindy, but I think I'll save it unless this line of discussion continues.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

gohuskies posted:

Could be

plus parkour. Original Splinter Cell, I mean.

A stealth-parkour combination might work if you nailed down a system where the easiest way out of an alert was to jump and climb away from guards' sight (and that was clearly conveyed to the player.)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

So, predator rooms in Arkham Asylum?

Probably. I only played five minutes of that game but they had a mechanic where you could hide from dudes on ceiling furniture and a friend said it was like playing Metal Gear Solid in a Batman costume.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Shut up about that already, will you.

Persona 4: Maybe it was just because it was my first time playing through it, but I found that SP*-restoring items were never in adequate supply. During the final-final boss fight, 2 of my 4 party members were completely out of SP when I finally beat it, and my player character had only about 50 left after using up all my items. (The fourth used an element that the boss absorbed, so none of his magic attacks actually did anything.) It didn't help that all of the late-game boss fights used a format where you fought a weaker boss before the final one who would still be strong enough to require party-healing skills to be used.

*SP is just what Persona calls Magic Points.

edit: also I got two social links to 9 before the plot pulled the rug out from under me and I couldn't increase them further, but that's what I get for going in blind and spending too many evenings working at the hospital because I needed the cash, I guess.

StandardVC10 has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Oct 24, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

littleorv posted:

I've also heard horror stories of the boss charming one of your characters and having them heal all of its hp. I would have thrown my Vita across the room (onto the soft couch) in rage.

I didn't have that happen to me in Persona 3 FES, but I brought a couple personas with Amrita for status healing duty, IIRC. All it would take is Yukari or Mitsuru's Diarahan to do that, though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Persona 3: It's very annoying how you have to constantly re-roll to get the skills you want when you're doing the 4-, 5-, or 6-persona fusions. When the pool of possible skills is that high I'd really rather they just let me pick rather than wade through all the iterations where my level-76 death god has lovely early-game skills like Cleave and Bufu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

I played 90 hours of New Vegas using nothing but default types of ammo and I feel like I missed nothing.

You missed the greatest thing, 12 gauge coinshot. But with legion coins being somewhat rare, and each shell requiring 8 coins, I found that the fun with it was always fairly short-lived.