Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Generic American posted:

And yet, to complete the covenant, I have to rack up 500 victories. Compared to something semi-reasonable like the Dragon Remnants, who only have to do 50 or so. So yeah, I'm literally never going to get that off my checklist.

It's even worse than that...you have to essentially have a "positive" rating of 500. Every loss (meaning you or your host dies,) brings you back down...so even if you get 500 victories, but 100 losses, you're actually only at 400 and still haven't "finished" the covenant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Related to the Super Metroid wall jump chat from a few pages ago:

That lemur laughs at your pitiful attempt at a wall jump.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Thanks to GoG, I've been re-playing X-Wing and TIE Fighter.

TIE Fighter is actually near perfect (it wold be better if, instead of the '94 and '98 versions, it also (or instead of the 1994 version,) had the '95 Collector's CD-ROM version, but that's an issue with GoG, not the game itself.)

Sure, there are a few tough missions, but most are actually fair once you figure out the right strategy.

But X-Wing? Man, it was great when it came out, but after you play TIE Fighter, it's hard to go back to X-Wing, even if you play the '98 version. In fact, I'll forgive just about everything in the '93 version, but there's no excuse for them not fixing some of these things for the '98 version.

For starters, you can't see your mission goals while in a mission. I could do this in TIE Fighter, why not X-Wing? I thought in the '98 versions, they both used the same engine from X-Wing vs TIE Fighter? So could it have been that hard to put in? In addition to not bein g able to quickly check on them, you don't even get a radio message telling you if you failed because a mission critical craft was destroyed.
Basically, you have to either look online, and have a GameFAQS page open, or start a mission, then immediately quit and look at the mission summary to see what the goals are.

Secondly, being a completionist, I want to finish every training mission, tour of duty, etc...but the basic pilot training is too drat hard! You have to do eight levels of this absurdly long track. Even if you fly it as fast as you can, it'll take about 4 minutes per pass. And odds are you'll fail at least once or twice, so basically you're doing an hour of just flying through this course over and over again, while some lasers take pot shots at you. The lasers get better and more numerous on later levels, on you get less time to do the course. In the slowest craft, the Y-Wing, you aren't fast enough to do the course without diverting all your shield energy to the engines. You then have to keep lasers at a slow recharge state, so you can shoot the turrets (it stops them from shooting you, but also each one gives you an extra 2 seconds to complete the course.) and divert extra laser energy to shields to at least give you some protection from said lasers.

But it's still crazy hard, especially since at some point, you'll take an errant shot from the lasers that will knock out some critical system, like your lasers, or your engines. And to top it off, for some reason, you can't see or repair system damage in the training course. In a regular mission you can, you hit 'D' and a screen pops up and tells what's damaged and you how long until it's repaired...but not on the training course. Hitting 'D' does nothing, and besides which, waiting for a repair means you'd run out of time anyway. So if your engines or flight controls go, you have no choice but to quit and start over.

There's other small things, too, like not being able to target small parts of a craft (like laser turrets on a capital ship,) or having to get MUCH closer to a craft to ID it than in TIE Fighter, etc...And again, since this is the revised '98 edition, it seems to me like they could have been fixed, but weren't.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

TheSpiritFox posted:

In Far Cry 4 it feels like they shortened the activation distance for things. Like, there are "bells" you have to spin as collectibles or whatever and I have yet to just walk up to one and spin it. I end up circling the drat things rubbing up against it crouching and standing trying to find the sweet spot where I actually get the activation prompt. You have to be closer to chests. Sometimes those masks you have to find underwater I have to dive 3 times to find the right spot to actually activate them. Sometimes you can be too close, and you can't interact with things, but the ideal distance is closer than it wasin FC3 so it still fucks me up every time.

It's the most irritating random change in a game and I don't know what they did, it doesn't even seem intentional and yet I can't help but think some part of it was since they're using the exact same drat engine in this game.

They made using the "use" key a chore. How the gently caress do you even manage that.

Thank God it's not just me who feels like this changed for the worse.

There's also the issue of "too many drat tings assigned to the 'Use' key" (square on PS.)

Reload is just tap square...and search, swap weapon, get in a vehicle, use grappling hook, or any other sort of "use" is all hold square. But the "hold" window is, IMO, to small, so if you notice you're doing the wrong action, you rarely have time to cancel it before it completes.

So you kill a guy, and go to search him, but over half the drat time you'll end up swapping your weapon for his because you have to be super close and looking in the exact right direction to get the search prompt to pop up, but if you're within 50 yards you can totally swap weapons. Or you'll get into the truck that's parked sort of near him.

And Far Cry 4 has the same problem Far Cry 3 did, where you have to get to the top of a mountain, and there is ONE SINGLE PATH you can take, and that's it. And it's not like it's a mission where you need to go up one single way, it's just a drat collectible. And it's not like going up that single way is a puzzle or anything, it's literally just that the mountain is all steep slopes except on one side where it's walk-able. And invariably you will make the attempt to get the collectible from the furthest spot from that walk-able area.

They try to mitigate this by giving items like the grappling hook, but it can only be used in certain spots, and plenty of places don't have the grappling points. There's also a gyrocopter, but sometimes you're nowhere near one, and it's hard to know right then and there if it'll be quicker to fast-travel to one of the outposts that always has one and then fly it back to where you are...also the gyrocopter has an altitude limit that's a decent amount below some of the higher mountains, so it can't even always be used.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Popular Human posted:

I'm still waiting for a really good piece of zombie media to come around dealing with the existential dread of living in a world where society is holding together but everyone who dies becomes a murderous cannibal. I feel like that slow slide into decrepitude has a lot of resonance with post-recession America and it's almost completely unexplored.

I'm sure this won't happen, but I really would like The Walking Dead spin-off series to be this. The early/mid-point of the outbreak.

I know it won't happen, though, because the "early/mid point of the outbreak" is, like, a week or two long, tops. At least based on how long Rick was in a coma. So things went to poo poo FAST in TWD universe.

We almost sort of saw that in the World War Z movie...society was still somewhat cobbled together, at least in parts of the world, for air travel to exist, governments functioning, etc.. Too bad the movie was just a POS in general.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Lotish posted:

Oh drat I didn't realize until you said how very good an idea this is.

http://kotaku.com/far-cry-could-be-going-in-some-crazy-directions-1677586044

quote:

A Far Cry game in remote Alaska about surviving extreme wilderness
A Far Cry game in a futuristic, sci-fi setting on another planet
A Far Cry game set in the Vietnam war during the 1960s
A Far Cry game set in the cocaine trafficking jungles of Peru
A Far Cry game where you can fight against or join vampires
A Far Cry game in the Spaghetti Western style set in the late 19th century Americas
A Far Cry game that is set during a zombie outbreak
Blood Dragon 2: A sequel to Blood Dragon with more Rex Power Colt
A Far Cry game set in a Mad Max style post-apocalyptic world
A Far Cry game in the present day on a Jurassic Park style island of dinosaurs
A Far Cry game based on the world of Shangri-La from Far Cry

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

Can we add Rhythm mini-games to the bad list? I'm not bad at them, but every single time I've seen one pop up in a game its either incredibly jarring, or kills the flow of the game completely. I'm looking at you Sly Cooper!

Not a rhythm game, but you reminded me of that God-drat flute in Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks.

Edit: Also just about everything else about Spirit Tracks...I kept going through the game, thinking that finally, this train upgrade is the one that will let me kill those demon trains, but nope...you can never kill them, only try to escape them. It made it a huge PITA anytime you traveled.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

That's one of the things I always loved about City of Heroes. Whatever you wanted to look like was 100% up to you, and the lack of armor/items in the game meant nothing ever really changed your appearance.

Half the fun of the drat game was the initial character creation, especially later on when they added in a lot more options.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I would include any settings that can't be changed mid-game.

I'll give leeway to some settings, especially graphics ones. I imagine there's some sort of technical issue around "restarting the game engine" or whatnot that requires the game to restart.

But I'll agree that there's plenty of settings that shouldn't require a game/level/mission restart.

And in that same vein, changing system settings on the PS3 is a total crapshoot as to whether you'd have to exit the game. It really was a piss-poorly designed OS< at least compared to the X-Box, which, to someone who never owned one, seemed like it was better at "multi-tasking"and letting you do XYZ while the game was just paused in the background.

Thankfully, the PS4 is better about this, but then poo poo about other things...like how it's impossible to put any sort of organization to your games/apps. If it's not one of the recently used ones, you've got to scroll all the way to the right in the interface for the library, then open up and scroll through the whole drat library.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

If you are a scout this isn't really an issue since Taris gives you a lot of time to build up lockpicking and poo poo.

Unless you do what a lot of people do, and NEVER level up on Tarsis.

Yeah, you end up save-scumming a lot because you are only at level 2 (since they force you to level up once on the ship, I believe,) and have poo poo for HP, but then once you get your Jedi training, you have like 3 or 4 extra levels that are now all Jedi levels, so you get even more sweet, sweet force powers.

Also, always choose the Jedi class that gets you more force powers (Guardian?), and then have your 2 extra be Jolee, because an old, crotchety Jedi constantly telling you how stuck up and full of poo poo the Jedi Council is is always a welcome addition, and then I guess HK-47 for the comedy option, or the Mandalorian guy for the rear end-kicking option...or Juhani if you want some rear end-kicking and even more Jedi action.

Or maybe Bastilla? I dunno, I usually rolled with 3 Jedi since they always tended to be more overpowered than non-Jedi.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

In every Mass Effect game, you fly around the galaxy picking up a team of ultimate soldiers, assassins, mercenaries and off brand jedi. You're often getting dropped of in the middle of massive firefight against literal killing machines. So how does Shepard handle this? By only taking two dudes with him. What are the rest of his team doing meanwhile? Just sitting on their hands? I understand why this is gameplay wise, but if I was getting dropped off in a war zone you best know I'd come correct.

I hate this kind of BS so much.

Like you said, I know it's a gameplay consideration, but at least try to find some in-game reason. It'd be cool if you could take your un-used people and send them on little "mini missions." Things that aren't required, but maybe net you some small rewards, or whatnot. Just so you can say,
"Oh, I am only taking these two dudes with me because the other guys are off patrolling the something something sector."

Chrono Trigger, because it is the best RPG, at least had some sort of in-universe reason. It was silly and arbitrary (these time portals just happen to only let three people travel at once? How odd...) but at least it was something. AND they integrated it into the story by making the first time you try to use more than 3 people send you to the end of time so you can meet Mr.Exposition.

I never played FFX myself, but I watched my roommates played it, and that one annoyed me the most with this poo poo. You could swap out players in the middle of battle. Meaning that, "in universe," the other members of your party are literally standing just off to the side of the battle, but for some reason, you can still only use three at a time.

Also, Blitzball is just loving water polo, why do I see it on lists of poo poo like "best mini-game/video game sport!" and also that one lady fights with a drat teddy bear and that's stupid.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm at the end of Shovel Knight, and God drat the boss rush is kicking my rear end.

Yeah, it gives you food between each "round", but it's not always easy to get to it, depending on circumstances (for instance the Polar Knight makes it really hard to get to, between constant rolling snowballs, and him making part of the floor spikes, etc..) Sometimes I manage to open the food, but it then vanishes before I get to it.

I'm not good at this game...my death tally is absurd...I think I went into the second-section of the final level with a few thousand gold, and was down to zero well before I got to the end.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

In the vein of "Unnecessarily long tutorials sections," Twilight Princess holds a special place.

It might not technically be considered a tutorial, but the first couple hours certainly feel like one.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Anatharon posted:

No way that's going to stick though.

Maybe, maybe not.

There's some tie-in comic for the Arkham game series and it made it pretty clear he was dead...even had his body get cremated.

But granted, in a world with literal magic life-restoring water beneath the city all this takes place in, it's not outside the realm of possibility he lives.

But at the very least, I expect the focus/main villain of Arkham Knight to not be The Joker for the third time, even if he shows up to say hello.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Vic Boss posted:

Count me as another person who thinks that Bloodborne is too drat dreary to consider playing through again. Put in 30 hours and the only sun I saw was 20 seconds worth in a cutscene.

I don't care much one way or the other for the sun or lack thereof, but Bloodborne is so drat hard compared to Dark Souls.

I'm past the learning curve, and certainly a lot better than when I started, but it's still much harder then DS...I miss blocking. :(

But in addition to that, it has a similar problem that Dark Souls Ii had, but in reverse.

Dark Souls II had a part of the game world where you entered a giant windmill, who's top could be seen from the outside, then took an elevator inside it up, which put you. at the top of a mountain, with lava pools everywhere (the premise being that the castle was built on a mountain-top, they mined too much iron, and the castle fell into lava, or something.)

The mountain is NOWHERE near the windmill when you approach it...just a bad transition.

And in Bloodborne, the first area is a town. You're walking on the street, going in houses, etc...Eventually, you take an elevator down, beneath the town, and...there's sky everywhere when you look up. Everywhere. Even when you look directly back to where you came from, it's a single building with nothing around from where you came from above.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

What area are you talking about? I don't remember anything like that..

I was mis-remembering. It's not an elevator, but a lot of stairs and a ladder that go from the Cathedral Ward to Old Yarnham:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uTsulwn1_U

Start around 24 minutes...he's in the Cathedral Ward, then he goes down a bunch of stairs, is in the basement of the Tomb, and eventually exits the tomb and is outside with sky above him.

He doesn't turn around all the way, but I certainly have, and there is no indication of the area you just came from is anywhere above you like it should be.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Apr 7, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Less tied to a specific game and more a game platform, but I get annoyed that so many Android games don't use Google's built-in data/save backup stuff.

I bought Chrono Trigger a few weeks ago, and could only play it on my older tablet because it didn't work on Lollipop devices. But the other day they finally released an update so it CAN work on Android 5.X. But that means I'd have to start all over again since the saves don't go to Google's cloud.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I feel like there's far more enemies in Bloodborne that are able to completely stun-lock you and kill you in what is essentially "one" hit.

Oh sure, it might actually be five or six hits, but seeing as I am completely helpless after the first one, you might as well just have them do one mega attack and one-shot me, because all you're doing with these small damage/high poise (though there is no more poise, so I'm not sure what stat is getting used) attacks is pissing me off more as I helplessly fumble to roll or move out of the way.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Leal posted:

If multiplayer is regulated to online only that means they can sell twice as many copies of a game and twice as many consoles. plus subscriptions :tinfoil:

Am I crazy, or did Sony say that their plan with the PS4 was to make it so only one person needed to have a copy for certain co-op games?

I have a PS4, but don't do much multiplayer on it aside from Bloodborne, which certainly requires both parties to have a copy, but that's more because of how the game's multiplayer is designed, since it's completely integrated into the single player.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

I'd play the hell out of a Trailer Park Boys style GTA.

Would the controls be sufficiently gimped to accurately re-create the experience of driving while holding a rum and coke?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm not very far into Arkham Knight, but holy poo poo, I see what people mean when they say how shoehorned in the Batmobile sections are.

The very first Riddler challenge is some BS Batmobile race full of obstacles...there's a whole poo poo-load of Riddler dialogue at the start where I guess the game devs were using to explain how a lovely obstacle course is totally a Riddle, but honestly I wasn't paying attention.

And I just did the first major setpiece, Ace Chemical, and holy poo poo, it feels even worse there. At least the Riddler challenge was just a single, long, drawn-out sequence. The Ace Chemical section is contantly swapping back and forth between being on-foot and in the car, and the car sections are all one of two things:

Find a thing to hook the car's grapple on to to tear down, then go up a ramp with the afterburner
or blow up some drone tanks.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't change your skin in Batman: AK mid-game like you could in previous installments. You have to exit out to the main menu to change it.

Though I guess to be fair, in previous versions you had to go back to the batcave, so all the loading to and fro probably adds up to the same amout from exciting to the menu.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Had an annoying running bug in Arkham Knight where the suit damage wasn't sticking and instead it would randomly reset to clean.

I keep experiencing a bug where the last displayed on-screen hint (like "Press Triangle to counter!") would stay on the screen forever. Only way to remove it was to turn hints off then back on.,

I know I should "git gud" and turn hints off, but there's so many new loving moves, and I can't always remember offhand what I do when I see a red attack symbol over a thugs head vs a FLASHING red symbol vs a symbol and he's running at me, etc...

Also, did they get rid of disarm and destroy? That was the best loving move, gently caress you Rocksteady.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Yeah I am level 12 and have yet to see a quest with more options than "do it" or "don't do it". You can control your tone when you say yes or no but that's it. Hopefully the main quest has more options.

I'pm only level 8, but I've found one so far!

It's outside some diner to the south of Red Rocket, and some drug dealers are trying to kill the owner cause her son owes them money. You have a few options:
Kill her for the dealers
Talk to her for the dealers to get her to pay
Kill the dealers

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I hate V.A.T.S. It just really, REALLY slows down my drat game.

I like it as a concept. I can slow down time, choose the target and where I want to hit, and queue up some attacks.

But then I hit "Go" and it's a slog...I don't want to sit through these long, drawn-out animations for every attack. I wish there was an option to just get all the results of my attacks in V.A.T.S. without seeing all that crap. After I hit 'Ok' it just exits out and shows me the results.

I understand I can hit cancel after the shooting animation starts, but it's my understanding that that ALSO cancels out any attacks that are queued, yes? So if I put three shots in, and hit cancel after the first one fires, that one will go through, but the other two won't.

If I'm wrong on that, then I guess V.A.T.S. does what I want it to, but I've tried it after the first shot and it looks like it cancels the other ones, but I'm not always paying 100% attention to their health and how much I should do with 1 shot vs 2 or 3.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Morpheus posted:

In Dark Cloud 2, the button to sort your inventory and to re-order your inventory (like, change which category of items comes first/second/etc) is the same button. If things are unsorted, sometimes pressing this button will sort it, sometimes it'll do both, and it's really annoying when this happens.

Oh, also there are times when the game wants you to use a specific item - like a key for a chest, or the level-specific item to move onto the next area. For some dumb reason, probably because it was in the first game, you're forced to search your inventory for this one (and only one, no other items can be used in these situations) item to use it, instead of the game just auto-using it when you press square. It's so dumb.

Can't stop playing this game though. I am so retarded for upgrade systems like this.

I hate when the button-mapping puts similar, yet different, actions to one button.

Like the Uncharted series. I love them, but especially in the multiplayer, the fact that the "crouch/take cover" and "dive/slide" button is the same is insufferable.

The game seems absolutely prefect at doing the opposite of whatever action you intended.

Oh, you want to dive through a doorway to avoid gunfire? Nope, you're crouching right in front of it and getting killed.

Want to crouch behind that half-wall to avoid gunfire? Nope, you're diving out into the open and getting killed.

I think that in theory if you're running it should make you dive, and if motionless you should crouch, but it has wonky criteria for that.

"Oh, you let go of the run button because you, naturally, had to stop pressing it to hit the crouch/dive button? Yeah, that's enough reason to qualify you as standing still ,so crouch it is!"

"You didn't stand perfectly motionless for a full three seconds before wanting to crouch? I guess you want to dive, right?"

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Mar 1, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

I mean, the mimic is there, you were going to fight it, might as well get started. If you carry a good shield mimics aren't really that hard (just have to watch out for the grab, but it's super obviously telegraphed), but it is kind of obnoxious that there's so drat many.

Well, the problem in DS2 was that if you hit a chest that wasn't a mimic with almost any weapon*, whatever was inside would turn to rubbish. So it was better to rely on the chain/breathing/skull/bloodstains everywhere mechanic.

Thankfully, it appears that DS3 removed that so it's safe to go back to just hitting them with a sword, though understandably not everyone knew that right away.

*I think your bare fist and maybe something else really low damage, like a dagger or broken straight sword, wouldn't destroy the item.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

City of Heroes was sort of like that in that there was no armor. You always were looking at the character you designed, and as you went up in level you got more costume slots so you could hot-swap them rather than completely re-do what you're wearing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Uncharted 4's multiplayer seems like a huge step backwards from 3's.

First off, it's harder to get weapon/boost/etc... upgrades. In 3, unlocking items required you to be a certain level and then spend the in-game money. Easy enough. You rank up by killing guys, winning matches, earning medals, etc...All unlocks were from the same "pool" of money (which was also used as the XP, i.e. you got say $500,000 "lifetime" earned money, you reach level X.)

In 4, there are two types of in-game currency (actually I guess 3.) The first is Relics. You get these from doing single-player "trials" (multiplayer with bots based around using a piece of equipment/a certain sidekick/etc...), winning matches, or completing the daily challenges (like get 50 treasures, or down someone with a grenade 30 times.) Problem is, the VAST majority is from those challenges. They net you like 150 Relics, whereas winning a match is only 10. And earning medals? Gets you nothing. They use to give bonus money in 3, so why do they even still have them if they don't do anything for you anymore?

Relics are only used to unlock skins/player outfits, one-time use boosters, and mods for sidekicks and mystical items. Oh, and they're random from "chests" you purchase, so...yeah...at least you can't "re-get" something you've already unlocked. Small consolation.

They can't unlock new weapons/gear/boosters or weapon/gear mods, however. Those are only earned by using the weapons/gear. So to get, say, a sniper rifle, you have to keep getting kills with a rifle. It can be any rifle, but they unlock in order. You start with the AK, get enough kills with that (40 or 50?) and get unlock the FAL (a 3-burst rifle with a small scope.) After that, get enough kills with any rifle (AK or FAL) and you unlock the next rifle (I think a small sniper? Can't remember.) So if there's a gun you really want far down the list, you can't just "bank" unlock points to get to it early, you have to go in order. Unless...

You use the second in-game currency, Uncharted Points, to unlock bundles of weapons early. These are only obtained (near as I can tell) by buying them with real money. Edit: I was wrong on this.

And weapon-mods are earned by using that weapon. So use an AK enough and you'll get the ammo boost mod, then keep using it and you can unlock the faster reload mod (again, in order, so you unlock the lower-tier weapon mod first.)

The third kind is the dollars you earn while actively in a match from killing people, picking up treasure, etc... They're used to buy things in the match, like a sidekick, an upgrade your item (like a better grenade,) or a super-weapon like a rocket launcher.

And beyond that BS, it's just not as fun as 3's MP, possibly due to less game modes. 3 has Co-Op, 3-team 2vs2vs2, elimination deathmatch (no respawns) and 8-player free-for-alls.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 17:19 on May 17, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Wait you can use points to buy weapons? In the regular Store? I must have missed that.

Hmm...you know what, maybe you can't. I'm looking now, and I could have sworn I saw things like "Weapon Bundle #1" at some point, but I guess not.

So ignore most of what I said about the Uncharted Points...they still exist as micro-transactions, but I guess they're just for skins, new characters, etc... and have it not be random like the Relics chests.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Uncharted 4 is ok with loot boxes...I complained about them before, but it's getting a little better.

I still feel the amount of Relics you get is too low for regular play...only 10 for winning a match, and the cheapest loot boxes are like 150 or 200 relics.

The amount you get from compelling a daily goal is ok (like 250-400 depending on the goal), but I wish it moved from daily to "get a new one when you complete an existing one." I also wish they didn't expire after 3 days, because I'm a busy adult and can usually only play on weekends.

But you will NEVER get a duplicate item, at least. And now they added a level-system like previous UC games, and just leveling gets you some minor cosmetic items, too, as well as bonus relics.

Now if they just patched medals to award relics, I'd be even happier (they finally had medals at least give XP so they aren't 100% useless anymore, but I'd almost prefer relics since their XP gain is relatively low.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Len posted:

I'd like NMS a lot more if you started with a better inventory. Instead there's drat near no space in the fucker.

It's not hard to upgrade it.

For the suit inventory, if you fly around a planet for a bit you'll probably spot one of these drop pods:

Inside will be a suit inventory enhancement giving you one more slot. The first time you find one, it's free. Every time after that, it increases by 10,000 credits.

So the next upgrade costs 10k, then the next one is 20k, then 30k, and so on.

Sometimes if you go to one of the Signal Scanners (the little round things with orange beams shooting out from them) and use a Bypass Module and search for a Shelter, you might get one marked on your HUD.

There's no way to increase your ship's inventory slots, though. All you can do is either buy or find a ship that has more slots.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Since we're on Overwatch:

I like playing Pharah, and according to my stats I'm pretty good with her (the only other character I've played a significant amount of time as that has a higher win percentage is Ana,) but MAN, does her Ultimate kind of suck.

Sure, it can do poo poo-tons of damage and maybe get a Team Kill if they're all on the point huddled together...but it'll never happen because you'll get to "Justice Rains-" snipped dead. I don't know of any other character's Ultimate that leaves them so vulnerable. Maybe Reaper's, but at least he gets to move around a little bit while being 2Edgy4U.

Whereas by contrast, D.Va's Ultimate is completely unstoppable, which is pure BS. All the other Ults that are capable of doing a large amount of damage in a small area (like Junk Rat, Reap[er, or Pharah) are can be interrupted. You can kill Reaper or Pharah (very easily, as said) at the start of their attack, or destroy Junk Rat's Rip Tire before he triggers it...but not D.Va. Once you hear "Nerf this!" your only hope is to run. It would be nice if it was possible to destroy the mech before it blows up.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 14:50 on Sep 6, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Best lockpicking minigame was clearly from Hillsfar:

The rest of the game was steaming hot garbage, though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I played a bit of Lords of the Fallen yesterday to try and satisfy a Dark Souls itch, and wow, does it ever fall short. Thank God the game was free on PSPlus.

The short list:
1) the game is sluggish as gently caress. Even when I had my character in the green for equip. load, rolling took forever, and there seems to be a persistent delay on every action from when I press the button to when it actually executes.
2) The hitboxes. Enemy hitboxes, especially the bosses, are loving tiny. Like...the seems substantially smaller than their character model. I see my weapon clip though parts of them and not do damage. I initially played with tyhe Rogue loadout, but quit after my tenth attempt at the first boss because it was nearly impossible to get close enough for it to register a hit with the tiny daggers. Meanwhile, my hitbox is apparently three times my actual size, as I am nowhere near their attack but take damage.
3) The above two combine into a poo poo-fest on the second boss when it's impossible for me to get the timing right to dodge his AoE attacks. He has two of them, and then on top of that, he has an attack where projectiles rain down from the sky. There's not a lot, but they're random, so basically impossible to try and dodge, and the shield only blocks some of their damage. Since the only time he lets his shield down to get an attack in is when he does these attacks, and getting hit by them usually knocks me down, I never had enough time to get very many attacks in. I only won by eventually cheesing him with the gauntlet that shoots stuff, and then staying far enough away while my magic recharged to not get hit by the AoE attacks. Maybe that's supposed to be the strategy?

Oh, and the first spell you get is one that makes a weird duplicate of yourself to lure enemies to, but not a single one was ever fooled by it that I saw.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Not a game, but a game system:

Why is there no clamshell form-factor 2DS?

I don't care about 3D at all, and it barely even works with me. Something wrong with my eyes? I don't know, even with glasses I can barely perceive most 3D movies, and I've never gotten a Magic Eye thing to work, either.

So while there are a bunch of 3DS (and original DS) games I'd love to play/re-play, but I don't want to spend money on a 3DS because why pay for a feature I don't want/use? But the "axe-head" form-factor of the 2DS is really fucknig stupid.

Just give me a New 3DSXL, take out the 3D, and charge like $50 less.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

I really didn't dig the batmobile, but it's a constant presence in the game. Even if you swoop into a group of thugs, they're all like "it's the bat! I wonder where his sweet car is!?"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm not very far into Horizon:Zero Dawn, but I hate that when using Focus you walk so God-drat slow.

I get that the developers didn't want you to have it on all the time, so there's a trade-off between the info you get and your speed, but the reduction is too much, IMO.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

There's too many bosses/places/"lore people" in the Dark Souls trilogy that start with 'V', most of which seem to be from Dark Souls II.

Velka, Vendrick, Velstadt, Vinheim (a place AND an NPC), Vince, Vamos, Vengarl, Vordt.

I get them confused in my head when people start talking about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

There's no NPC named Vinheim :colbert:

Just Rickert of Vinheim. And Griggs of Vinheim. And Orbeck, of Vinheim.

Whoops, sorry, it's Sir Vinhelm:
http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Sir+Vilhelm

So add another entry to the "V" list.