Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've only played FFX on the original release and managed to stumble around and get every summon but didn't bother with some of the weapons and mini games. Blitz was okay with Jecht Shot and lightning dodge was somehow fruiting and also zen.

The thing that brought the game down for me was Khimari. He's a huge cool blue cat man with such a poorly defined role, it's hilarious. His place on the board means he's supposed to be your blue mage but blue magic sucks a huge cock. Diverting him over to a different section helps but he's never as strong as Auron, fast as Tidus or the magical potency of Lulu. poo poo, even Wakka has a spot on some of my team makeups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Why do people say that FFX has unskippable cutscenes?
I remember pressing start and then triangle and it would skip.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think Dragon Age had a tombstone for T.Hanoi. Got a good laugh out of me.

Binding of Isaac is a very good game and I give it gobs of praise. I do not like achievements based on RNG. There are two that require you to get four horsemen to spawn as bosses through your run so you can get cubes of meat from them to make a Super Meat Boy and a cheevo. Horsemen are not required to show, if they do there is no saying that you get 4 in a run and AND even if you get three cubes and a fourth horseman, they may drop a ball of bandages instead. Bandages are for making Bandage Girl and is the same process.
My blood-pressure spike when I get three balls of bandages, a horseman as my last pre-mom boss and get meat. gently caress it.
gently caress IT

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What the hell?
Did a signal go out for people to finally play Prototype 2? I just started it two days ago.

It's fun, I adored the first one but so far, I don't really know anyone's motivations aside from RAAAGGGH MY FAMILY WAS KILLED. Then again, you're playing as infamous Spider-Man villain Carnage to kill evil scientists and PMCs so loving cares?

Binding of Isaac bothers me because I've completed all paths on all difficulties with all characters (gently caress. Lost.) And I'm still missing 2 or 3 achievements because I haven't rubbed my baby body on Mom's poop pouch or whatever. Inside the game there is no way to know what items you have picked up and I'm too burnt out.

Hero Siege is a simple, juvenile and cheap monster wave arena game. You can get it for a dollar and I've easily sunk 15 hours j to it. Problem is that the jokes are repetative, formulaic, infantile and boring. It's like a 13 year old wanted to be edgy so he made a Redneck class that shoots flaming tires and jaws on about letting god sort em out.
It also, unabashedly, stole a ton of visuals, items and black humor from the Binding of Isaac series. It's not a subtle hint or nod or clever reference. It's items like Sigmata, Rainbow Baby and Holy Mantle.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

If you want to know true frustration, give the mobile version a try. A twin-stick shooter using on screen controls, dear god. Oh yeah, there's permadeath, and you have to stop moving to cast any spells in the latest version.

I just got so mad. gently caress that game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Edit: gently caress. I thought I was in "Favorite little things in games".

The very old Xbox game BREAKDOWN was a sci-fi first person brawler. You play as a guy who wakes up in a military hospital with amnesia and you have crazy future alien powers.
Even with these powers, the real aliens shove your poo poo in so loving far that you're constantly seeing brown.

Spoilers for a million year old game:

At the halfway mark you are escaping some big bad and your jeep crashes and the lady who is your guide dies.
You fall into the pit, I think and play the remainder of the game and it feels kinda empty.
That is until a chance run in with Solus (?) The main baddie and he kills you. I guess his power transfers to you on accident and you time travel to the scene with the Jeep as SSJ4 SUPER SAIJJIN GOKU and proceed to dominate the rest of the game.
(Sorry is my memory of events is scewed. The idea is right)

It's like getting a New Game+ a the mid-game checkpoint. I've never felt like such a badass in a game because the whole time previous I was thinking I would never be able to go toe-to-toe with anything but the most basic enemy.

Same that the game got critically panned because it wasn't Halo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sleeveless posted:

That part was awesome, navigating a maze of trip wires while judging how far ahead of the invincible bad guy you were by the sounds of him setting off the explosives you had avoided earlirr was tense and rad as hell.

Hello nostalgia!
Remembering that scene made my back tense up because of how stressful that section was. Goddamn. Make a sequel!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I got to the final area of Dark cloud 2, one of my favorite games back in the day, and once you enter you can't go back. There is no warning.

Inside the area you cannot farm or grind, there is only the boss. I go in way underpowered because I'm dumb and always focus on gimmicks and couldn't even touch the boss. OH WELL.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RyokoTK posted:

They did make a second Metroidvania Batman game. It's called Blackgate and it sucked.

That's a shame. I enjoyed City quite a bit because I love creating my own fun with a playground and a toolbox.
Asylum, however, is a superior game. It doesn't over-stay its welcome and the scenes were more memorable to me.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Maxwell Lord posted:

I wish storing and retrieving your character's appearance in SRIV didn't involve an online registration system that apparently never works. I end up never using the plastic surgery option.

Why not?
You're rolling in more money than you could possibly use. Go nuts!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ATOTW really is phenomenal except that getting from The Capital Wasteland to Goodsprings is a pain in the rear end and I don't know how you're supposed to do it without a guide.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DS2 is a good game but there is no section that filled me with such unrelenting dread like Blightown from DS1.
Also the special two-weapon combos never seemed to be useful to me ouside of a gimmick. Twirling two scimitars around looks neat but that dragon is gonna eat my rooted rear end.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

muscles like this? posted:

I bought The Handsome Collection which is Borderlands 2, the Pre-Sequel and all the dlc and something that's kind of annoying is they don't tell you which fast travel point is for which dlc.

That's because Borderlands is a really lovely series and I hope it dies. Even with friends I was bored to tears and #2 had writing so bad that I wanted to find Anthony Burch and poo poo in his shoes.

Do you remember the concept art from before #1? Phone posting so I can't get it but goddamn it looked great. One random gun they talked about was a revolver that fired seeking mini-missiles that attached to a target, exploded into acid after a few seconds and marked the enemy on the map. Instead we got "assault rifle that does 1% more damage.

poo poo, even the vehicles were supposed to be randomized based on a drive able frame.

gently caress Borderlands. You have the potential to be great but instead we got a meme spouting robot and Anthony Burch's boots full of poo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lichdom: Battlemage is a weird, stupid game but I keep playing it.

You play a mage and your crafting is making new spells. You have a ton of flexibility but the game doesn't tell you what the terms mean in a useful way.
I had Necromancer spell that shot dark energy and bones and did a lot if damage. I tried to craft an upgraded version but then it did no damage but put a symbol above the hit enemy's head. I don't know what that symbol means.

There is a deep magic system that I feel could be abuse to making the game abuse cakewalk but the system is so obtuse, I'm just making spells and praying they work.

OH! It's a linear FPS magic game but if you don't have the right runes, bosses are nearly impossible. You have to grind. In an FPS. Wtf.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alteisen posted:

That's hilarious dickish, especially when you consider that GTA V has sold like 50 million copies and the company still wants more money.

You don't have a good grasp on how capitalism works.

I only bought GTA5 once and that was for the PC so I had no issue paying full price. People buying it every iteration should maybe hire a financial planner.

No a game specifically but something that bums me out:
As far as I can tell, there are no games that let you build vehicles from scrap or attach bits and bobs to a school bus and drive over monsters. I know the Mad Max game is coming out but it might be poo poo. APB orgininally said there would be themed variants of the districts where you could earn special or cosmetic items. One such theme was a PvE district that was everyone vs. a city of zombies. You could earn bloodied and rusted scrap armor and weapons.
Never happened and the game is practically dead.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's because the most outspoken people in gaming are autistic and cannot handle nuance or anything more than a spreadsheet.
It's also a power complex thing. They want to believe that their actions are correct no matter what and they will always get to the goal.

Personally, I adored Alpha Protocol. Because the story was not black and white I was way more invested in the dialogue and making choices that I hoped would lead me in interesting directions. Having a situation go tits-up for reasons that are beyond my control and then getting to find creative solutions is why I will never stop playing games like D&D.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had one named [whatever] the Literate. He wore nice clothes and spoke well. He was my first project to make chief but I accidentally killed him in a big ambush. He never came back and it makes me so sad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Agreed. People bitched endlessly about how "lazy" Volition was for reusing Steelport but you're almost always traveling a such high speed that the city doesn't really matter

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fallout Shelter is out for Android and I cannot keep up with consumption no matter how upgraded or large my rooms are. I've set up everything very well and placed everyone in the right spots.

It's probably my fault, a couple of disastrous expiditions made me nervous to send anyone out so extra supplies are limited. The Fatboy I just picked up ought to even things out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nth Doctor posted:

You don't need this kind of negativity in your life. When I had a giant clusterfuck of resource shortages going on, I did the sane thing and had a bunch of kids. Seriously, though: how big is your vault, Inzombiac? If you run dry on power, it can gently caress up everything else via knock-on effects.

I was up to about 20 rooms and 28 dwellers. A Radroach infestation managed to kill all of my weakened people. I had my strongest out on safari so he came back with enough caps to revive #2 and sold enough rooms to revive my best lady. We are small but we're better equipped and smarter. The wastes will not take us. We will take back the wastes!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Evilreaver posted:

In Mad Max, the harpoon is a great weapon, you can fire it from your car to take out many things... or rather, nearly anything. It's a god-weapon that insta-kills any person you can see, even through windshields (sometimes you have to fire it twice, to rip their car door off). It's great Just Cause 2-ish fun to slingmurder thugs all day, but it has the annoying tendency to end car chases abruptly.

I wanted to tear a wheel off so that the enemy goes flying over a cliff and explodes in a fireball... nah, hit the driver, enemy car putters to a stop. :mad:

It would be like if they gave you the Gravity Gun five minutes in to HL2, or Brand five minutes into Shadow of Mordor. No ammo or requirements, fast reload, always hits if you point vaguely at a thing, insta-kill most targets.

Hold the aim button (LB on xbox) and you can aim anywhere on the car. Every convoy I fight leaves behind 6 mooks missing a single wheel.

Later in the game it's harder to rip things off and you're going to praise every time you can tag a fool through the windshield. You get drowned in enemy cars.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Sep 6, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You DO see all those priests and servants, right? Plus Seath is blind and must have people read to him :3:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Desert Golfing, a simple 2D golfing game has thrown this at me and I cannot proceed.

I've tried very slowly rolling the ball to just above the hole but even the slowest speed puts it in the water. I cannot bank it off the right because the water stretches too far off screen. I'm pretty sure these courses are randomly generated and I guess the algorithm finally had enough of me.

Edit: I looked it up and that was the intended "end" of the game but you CAN bank it, I just haven't hit the spot yet.
gently caress this game I love it

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Oct 11, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I agree that Dragon fights were pretty lame after a while.
I agree that Dragonrend is poo poo to use if the dragon has no where to land close by.

But Tiggum, I don't think you brain works very well.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The main thing that's bringing down my general gaming experience is that we will never get a sequel to Rocket Jockey.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I play the Switch at work. My boss is very bad at Snipperclips. However I'm lucky and a lot of my got is "wait and see".

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

spit on my clit posted:

you should play Saints Row IV, or if you already have, play it again.

SR4 is the answer to many a woe.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rimworld is a game that exists to break your heart.
If it had realistic graphics, I would be constantly crying.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Blaster Master Zero is a very fun game.
However, there is an upgrade in an early level that is easy to miss and is essential to clearing some rooms.

As fast as I know, there's no easy way to teleport between stages. You have to drive AAAAALLL the way back.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Load all the gold into an exploded corpse and carry a gib out with you.
gently caress morals.
gently caress messages and themes.

I want that gold.

Oh wait, I already have WAY more caps than I can spend.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

W3 is one of those games that I loved (aside from weapon degrading (can you mod that out?)) but I'm not sure I'll ever finish it.

If I were younger and had 6 hours a day to play, sure, but a dense game like that is pretty intimidating.
Same goes for PoE. I know I love it but I only have an hour to spare!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gitro posted:

You absolutely can mod it, on PC at least, and I'd include a link but I'm phone posting and my browser crashes when I try to paste. That and removing the inventory limit was a huge QoL boost for me.

Oh thank god. Getting rid of some of the minor annoyances will get me right back in.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

See, I adore BOTW because it's huge, dense and really fun but doesn't try to be like Elder Scrolls.

People always complain that ES games are wide but shallow and I'd have to agree. Zelda uses every piece of the world in interesting ways. Nothing feels out of place.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My favorite complaint about BOTW is when people say you can't climb when it's raining.
YES YOU CAN.
There is a different rhythm you have to get into and it's a bit slower but you can always keep climbing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

peter gabriel posted:

Your story quest takes you to some, but I mean more as a long term thing. It's just really odd to me the amount of man hours they must have taken to create and they are not utilised at all

I agree that they are all gorgeous but empty it is where they usually host seasonal events when not in Lion's Arch (the hub city).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Somfin posted:

Yeah, NT is the sort of game where your best runs involve you clearing level after level in a haze of bloodlust and adrenaline, full flow, and just mashing the 'retry' button as soon as you see the death screen pop up because dammit those big fiery green fuckers ain't gonna get me THIS time.

I've never had a game respond so well to insanely aggressive no-holding-back tactics, apart from Hotline Miami.

I bashed my head against the wall for ages until I had this a-ha moment. I was being way too cautious. I've yet to beat the last level but I can consistently get there.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sunswipe posted:

That's reassuring. I think I'll play a bit of Resident Evil 4 or Revelations, then get back to it.

Play Just Cause 2/3. All chase missions have the express goal of blowing poo poo up.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm so close to beating Crackdown, currently hunting for races and agility orbs to push myself that last 50% of the way to level 4 agility, because with that I can make the shortcut to Wang's Tower now that I know where I'm trying to hop to and only have a few floors to go. It just takes soooo long...

I recall getting 100% in Crackdown and feeling very empty inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Guy Mann posted:

People complained about modern games having too much infodump text and unskippable cutscenes and worldbuilding codexes that you have to pause the game to read so they explicitly put all the story stuff online as a separate thing for people consume at their leisure if they chose to and then people complained that there wasn't enough story in the game and that it didn't explain anything.

Shoulda gone the Mass Effect route.
Have incidental dialogue give flavor and then an encyclopedia of text dump in a menu.