Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I like time counters because it lets me see how much I've gotten out of my purchase, or how much "work" I've put into a game. It's oddly satisfying to see the numbers go up, especially in those instances where I manage to break into the three digits. A pet peeve of mine is when the game doesn't count the time correctly and does dumb things like tick the clock when the game is paused, minimized, etc. I want an accurate reading, drat it!

I also lead a busy life and have other varied and more social hobbies, so video game time hardly feels like wasted hours these days. :smug:

Though I could probably get better at working out more regularly....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
mmo's sound like a terrible thing to waste your adult life on

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
What digirat said, I'm surprised it had to be spelled out for you.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Jokes are usually funny?

Nah I see what you're saying. I'd agree that gaming is a great chill hobby, but without having proper "productive" hobbies I'd feel like a waste of skin thinking about the hours I spent in bloodborne.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Who the gently caress works full time and has time for more than one hobby?

If you only work 40 hours a week that still leaves you w about 6 hours every evening, and I sure don't have 6 hours of chores a day after work. How long does each of your hobbies take?

I don't have a family to support either right now so that helps but lots of people work time and have more than one hobby (I'm not including TV as a hobby, you can easily play that in the background while you do other poo poo). Maybe manage your time better or something?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wow this thread sucks massive donkey dicks, I super regret having come in here to check out all the new posts.

Non stop over watch rants about balance akin to smash chat (get a life nerds) and shut in sperglords going on great lengths to hash out nuanced social issues as featured in ANIME and video games, my fave

I hate the loading in Witcher 3, gently caress me I died to another swarm of bandits welp time to sit through another minute long loading sequence.

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Sep 12, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Nah I have a regular and admittedly lovely HD, I haven't timed it but definitely feels around 40-60 seconds

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Anyone who spends money on digital mystery bags deserves every ounce of disappointment that they get, both from the contents of said bag, and from reflecting upon how their life got to be this way.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Don't get me started on that. I'm 20 hours in and have only killed lil hunter once. I may not be very good at nuclear throne.

I do love it though.

Oh right my point is that getting randomly blasted by something dumb 20 mins into the run doesn't exactly feel good. But that could be me not being hyper aware in new or unfamiliar areas.

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Oct 6, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

That's pretty normal. I'm sure I died over a dozen times to Lil Hunter before I killed him once. It took me 50 hours to successfully loop. Now I loop multiple times per session. It's really a game where you will markedly and consistently get better and better at it.

Having a solid gameplan for 5-3 and some familiarity with Lil Hunter's attack patterns makes him so much more manageable. He's not an RNG boss.

Ahh that's good to hear! Some dumb internet nerds were claiming that they started looping 20 hours in, and many agreed that that was typical. I was like wtf, I'm always (always) a naked ninja in Dark Souls/Bloodborne, how do I suck so bad at this game compared to those cool kids?

But yeah Nuclear Throne is my fave of all the rouge-likes I've played. The art style and the music, so loving inspired. BoI ain't got poo poo on it, in my opinion (six million expansions haven't helped keep me interested either I spose).

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

its ok, the expansions make the game worse because it introduces bosses that have like ten times the health of normal bosses, one of which being the Rag Man, whom you might encounter on the first floor, so if you dont get an item that increases tear damage, well..you're hosed, unless you want to spend the next ten minutes shooting at the boss. They also nerfed an incredibly hard to get item for absolutely no reason.

Yeah that doesn't sound fun. On that note, I wanted to try Gungeon cuz it looks slick but the complaints people had were just hitting too many "right" notes for me. It sounds bad.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Spelunky IS good but Nuclear Throne is currently my fave because I have played that game dry.

I'd love a sequel with a different "theme" and same format. New traps, new poo poo to learn, but the core idea more or less the same. Learning it and getting better was so loving good.

Until I got good at murdering shopkeepers and robbing them of their livelihood:getin:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Pretty much. Nintendo games are for children and sadly the gameplay suffers for it. I'd like to know what those of you who praise Nintendo for their emphasis on gameplay (as opposed to who, pray tell) are huffing, cuz it sounds like some good poo poo.

It's neat when they include hard modes but then they do something retarded like lock it behind a restriction (beat the game first, etc.). But yeah Pokemon gameplay is super lame and outdated in my opinion, it's a piss-poor turn-based RPG that was my favorite thing when i was literally in 3rd grade (I had a baller Game Boy Pocket). So hearing these complaints, I'm just like "yeah, sounds about right. That's uh, Pokemon for you."

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Nov 24, 2016

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
y'all are making me really curious about this deviled daggers game

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I always end up having to spend the extra 2.99 a pop for additional bonfires, from soft you greedy fucks

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
My time is worth a whole lot these days, I work full time and freelance a lot after work because I loving love money (and owing the IRS apparently)

I still play 70 hour RPGs pretty regularly?

suck on that nerds

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It's perfectly possible to do all that and have a social life and not be a fat slob who doesn't work out and also make time for really long RPGs (prob not more than one at a time though), I also play music so I find myself having to divide my fun time between that and video games, and shitposting here of course

Here's my hot take: some of you might just not be very good at managing your time! not a lot of people are

And lengthy games that require replays for a little more content are 100% disrespectful of your time in my humble opinion

E: yeah 4 posts a day is..not a lot

I appreciate the gesture nonetheless! it was a dumb rebuttal on his part

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 07:28 on Mar 9, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah doubling up on TV while gaming is the way to go.

I'm obviously not clearing multiple lenghty rpgs a week, but do like to sink my teeth into a meaty game. I'm with tiggum that it sucks to be locked out of some content in order to fill in the box of "it's got choicez" because there's just too many good games coming out and I don't beat enough games as is, I'm definitely not gonna play most games again

Dark souls/BB is the exception to this, I always go back

Youtube definitely helps with this though, watching the cut content is good enough for the most part

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I think removing boss runs and adding checkpoints to bosses would hurt the tension in from soft games.

I mean the hardest bosses tend to have pretty painless runs anyways. I just don't see myself feeling a lot of pressure if I can just respawn right outside and walk right in for another go. Most runs aren't all that hard anyways, and the choice is a very deliberate one.

From soft games are all about tension and risks. The highs and sense of accomplishment wouldn't be as good without any risk.

As is, many feel that bonfires have become too frequent since the first game. I kinda agree, I liked being terrified about the prospet of possibly not reaching the next one in time. Fear is good

If you don't like your video games to feel like work, the souls borne series is just not catered to your tastes. Personally I am loving hooked.

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Mar 10, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I was gonna say, there are definitely bosses without a run.

Plus souls borne aren't the only games with pattern based bosses that require practice and learning their tells, and plenty of them include a checkpoint right before the boss.

So yeah we definitely have an idea of what that's like.

I like the slog. It adds to the sense of oppression, a key theme in these games.

That said, there are some lovely instances and it's not surprising that most of them revolve around chalice dungeons, the one feature of the game that sort of shits on the design philisophy of the rest of the games. I still enjoyed them but it took some time for me to warm up to the idea, and I never did finish them.

They're just not that fun.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Triarii posted:

Furthermore on this point, the game has a crazily inverted difficulty curve. Early on it seems like every other enemy kills you in one hit (even your own bombs are near-instantly fatal) but by around the halfway point, you'll be so indestructible that you probably won't need to use healing items for the rest of the game.

this is why open world games are loving lame

are there any at all that do difficulty right?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Snake pass got a ton of attention on the switch thread.

Poor guys are desparate for any scraps that might come their way. It's the nature of getting a console earlier I guess but it's funny to see posters hum and haw over shovelware while in other threads everyone else is like "too many loving good games atm plz help" as they try to pick between four potential GOTY contenders

I'll still get a switch 2 whenever it comes out, or during holidays once the library has ramped up. But having a vita back in the day is as close to being starved for games as i care to be

I remember how excited our pathetic little hearts would get when any indie was announced (to be released eight months down the line of course, despite having been on steam for over a year)

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Mar 29, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
"consoles always have lovely libraries during their first six months" =/= "haha your toy is a failure you dumb nerd"

Frankly I like being able to choose from all sorts of different games, whether they be 60 hour RPGs or shovelware featuring snakes, which is why I always wait a few months to a year before getting a new console

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Really? What don't you like about it? Everything I've heard about it says it's probably the best Nintendo system out right now given the state of the WiiU and the Switch

I don't think he dislikes the console, just the experience of getting one at launch

These days 3ds is chock full of awesome titles but the first few months were so bad they had to cut the cost of the console within the first few months and launched the ambassador program as a gesture of goodwill to those who bought a launch console

Basically Nintendo themselves acknowedged that they screwed over early adopters

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I work for a super chill tech giant atm and while we have the most relaxed environment I've ever worked at, there's no way in hell video games would be okay on the clock (though forum posting prob isn't encouraged either!)

I did see a guy with a 3ds, but he was clearly trying to be sneaky about it

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I've no doubt it's the same here but I still hate the idea of being seen!

Plus, I've never publicly interacted with a fellow goon and I sure want to keep it that way

"What's your username bro?"

"It is go gently caress yourself"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
That and indie ports will help the lineup feel meatier than it really is.

The novelty of playing your favorite indies on a new portable is a nice little distraction while you wait for bigger titles to drop. Source: was a hopeful vita owner who is now sad and jaded

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

People actually jumped into the 3DS launch cold turkey? Not even having a good dozen DS games that you could play on the thing?

I mean you're not wrong but why buy a shiny new console on launch if you're just gonna play DS games?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
noble effort my rear end, it's total poo poo and nerds will rightfully lash back (the twitter bot comes to mind lol)

I personally don't have a stake in it because I don't stream but gently caress you atlus, you don't tell me who I can and can't show content from video games that I paid full retail price for

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

For not having a personal stake you seem upset bruh.

yeah cuz i've seen people like you semi-defend or justify the practices, it's so bizarre to me

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Exactly, spoilers for dumb anime plots in no way justify that precedent

I really like persona 5 but atlus is out of touch if they think their dumb mandate isn't going to lead to "snape kills dumbledore" levels of trolling

Which it already has on twitter

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Persona 5 is wayyyyy the gently caress darker than 4 was. It's not really dragging the game down, per se, but it's really jarring and put me off it for a bit. I mean, pretty much everyone hates your character. It's kind of a nice change of pace from 4 where nobody could stop kissing the MC's rear end every five minutes but all the poo poo about Kamoshida is really heavy compared to the last game's dungeons themed around things like "oh I really don't want to inherit my parents' inn" or "I thought about kissing a boy teehee".

I like it, it's refreshing to see a game shine the spotlight on the discrimination and "outsider" status of those who are branded as criminals in modern societies. It works really well too because so far, the MC is acting out of good intent rather than criminal aspirations, which still landed him with a black stain and the full ramifications that come with that.

Particularly interesting to see this play out in a fictional Japan, as the country seems to have a stronger affinity for authority and legal process vs the US, based on my very limited experience to the culture

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah it's very on the nose and could be done a little more subtle but I chalk that up to the "controversial nature" of criminal-sympathetic stories

But to see so many trusting figures be presented as such morally corrupt assholes is cool, there be sketchy mofos everywhere and I don't think society really likes to think about that very often (unless the sketchy mofo falls under certain "undesirable" categories)

We do our fair share of coddling assholes when it comes to sports figures, business pioneers and "entrepreneurs," and other celebrities, so hitting the plot point where it's revealed that everyone knows about Kamoshida's bullshit and just looks away, including loving parents was really enjoyable for me. Like wow, that's real poo poo right there

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 23:22 on Apr 6, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
For those who are farther in than me, Hard is fine, right?

I made the mistake of choosing normal on Etrian Odysssy Untold 2 before finding out that it's labeled as "Easy Mode" in Japan :sigh:

No wonder my party seemed so effective

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
persona 5: the restrictions on streaming

I'm not some pro stream g@mer, but I recently discovered that streaming to your friends via the game share feature is a fantastic way to enjoy a phone call with them where the audio quality is pretty solid, and you can talk poo poo over a game either of you is playing. It almost feels like a re-enactment of The College Dayz, where we'd sit around getting high and talking poo poo about whatever was on the screen (usually games)

I was super looking forward to doing that tonight with persona 5, figured the game checks if you hit 7/7 before letting you stream/not stream

lol nope everything is blocked , period

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I feel that both the dodging mechanics and enemy animations are fair though, or at least not any worse than in DS or DS3. In what ways would you say dodging is unreliable?

People always say stuff like that in regards to DS2 but aside from the dumb having to level up your AGL design decision, I've played through DS2 multiple times with different builds and have yet to experience this wonkiness everyone complains about. It might be just the starting lovely roll that throws everyone off, or the idea that the first DS is "better" in every way despite its less-than-perfect mechanics

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Feonir posted:

Health gems, health gems, health gems, health gems.

Pressing a button once and having 75% of all your health quickly and unstoppably restored makes any argument about excessive damage moot in 2. Health gems are quick, stacking, easy to get, they took all the sting out of 2 in PvE and PvP. If you snap off a big ole health gem in 2 in an invaders face more often than not they just left. Because that's 1200 hp of regen over like 6 seconds they will not get through.

Also there is no single enemy in 2 that does not immediately, and instantly regret tangling with you if you master the bucklers parry, which is both ludicrously long and ridiculously effective. Parry Velstadt, parry Drangleic, parry the pursuer, gently caress it parry the world. Follow up with a dagger or Muramasa and its Dark Souls for babies.

That if an invader was buck rear end naked you should be very afraid is not just an in-joke it is a legit thing. 2 was entirely about fashion souls and if you were over 40% weight that was you loving up.

I don't think life gems trivialize the game as much as people think because their healing effect is quite slow and you can get torn up in a matter of seconds if your health is compromised to begin with. I really like this dynamic

I'm Pro Life Gem myself, you don't have to use them but if you're getting frustrated with some of the more "LOL r0mhack" areas, you can rely on them for extra health that still isn't an instawin Estus chug because of how slowly it heals.

Gorsh you guys, DS2 was a sweet title with bombtastic pvp shienanigans and I can't believe I'm itching to replay it again after having just replayed it maybe six months ago, it's still more visually striking than DS3 in certain areas due to the colorful palette and nice polish it got in sotfs

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
DS3 is the mario sunshine of Dark Souls because every area looks the god drat same and ends up not being visually interesting despite the high fidelity of the graphics (relatively speaking)

This is every level in Dark Souls 3:
:smith:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
now you've gone and done it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Woo! Looking cool, Joker!