Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Who What Now posted:

What's dragging Dark Souls 2 down for me is the Twin Dragonriders fight. Fuckers won't die! I've tried poisoning them too but I still bite it before one of them can get drained all the way.

protip for that fight: As soon as the fight starts, run to the left side of the dragonrider on the far side of the room, so you're between him and the archer. He'll whack the pillar the other one is standing on and knock him down, at which point you can basically destroy the archer because he's got very little health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

ArcMage posted:

Human Revolution is being dragged down by the ending situation. :(

I mean, the push-button aspect is a frequent complaint, but apparently the endings also vary with your conduct during the game, yeah?

I've been as big an rear end in a top hat as I can figure out how to be without actively doing the opposite of my objectives, and gotten the same 'I was basically a good dude, wasn't I?' blurb. I'm not even sure what level of assholery that's meant to signify.

In a more general way I'm just annoyed when I can't reach a given ending in a game, I guess.

I've heard it has less to do with whether you're an rear end in a top hat or not and more with how many sidequests you do. Which means I'm never gonna get any of the "actually I was kind of an rear end in a top hat" monologues because gotta get them praxis.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

My friend and I played through the entire game with the exception of Ada's campaign because, after a single chapter, I couldn't take it anymore.

You missed the best campaign. The first chapter is literally the worst part of it, though, so I fully understand; the ending of that mission is loving awful.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

...well gently caress, I might reinstall it then. Part of me not caring for it is the co-op part of that campaign is super half-assed-- your buddy is just a nameless faceless mercenary who doesn't speak ever and can't even interact with objects meaning Ada has to do everything. It just wasn't the same without us constantly giving each other thumbs up with context-appropriate dialogue. :(

To be fair, part of the reason I thought it was the best campaign is because I played the whole game solo, and it's by far the one that works best solo. The AI companions usually work alright, but sometimes they just won't get to the loving door or whatever.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Thing dragging down most Skyrim and most open-world sandbox rpgs: just completely garbage mechanics. Sure, I could engage with all these cool sub-systems and role-playing options, but all that would get me is more floaty, tedious combat. None of these games have anything approaching "good" combat mechanics.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I've played that game. The combat was still really boring and bad. It only stood out because of the incompetence of its peers imo.

Although, tbf I only tried playing as a wizard.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Tiggum posted:

It seems pretty popular though, so I guess plenty of people do find it fun?
It's very pretty, it's not very difficult, it's large and it provides a reasonable illusion of freedom, along with a good level treadmill.
That's just what their target audience wants, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Speaking of obsidian games, I've been playing Pillars of Eternity.

I'm pretty sure when people asked them to bring back the classic gameplay they'd have been fine if they left out the traps on random chests and in the middle of random hallways, or at least made it so your dudes avoided them when you'd already detected them. I guess you just have to stealthscout everywhere or go gently caress yourself.

I don't think there's been an obsidian game without annoying traps, actually. At least in New Vegas they weren't invisible.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

The method for getting the upgraded jet pack in Cave Story, and therefore the best ending, makes no sense.

You enter a room with a wide pit you seemingly can't jump across, and you see a character fall in. You jump down, and with his dying breath he gives you a jet pack that you use to get back up. What you're supposed to do is make the precisely timed running jump to get over the pit, and later the character turns out be be alive and he gives you an upgraded jet pack.

How did you following the character down make him die?

Seeing that graceful, perfectly-timed hop across the pit gave booster enough motivation to hold on to his life.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Len posted:

Yeah. It's just that I've been doing the hunt-a-thon Tetsucabra and have brought down five breaking his tusks each time and I still don't have enough for the armor parts I need.

Just so you know, there's only the one item chance if you break it once during the hunt, it doesn't care about breaking the same part on different monsters. So you can stop breaking tusks after the first Tetsucabra.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Cleretic posted:

...gently caress. Okay maybe I should restart.

I don't think he disappears if you don't pick him up in the first place. At least, on a playthrough where I never spent any souls on increasing int I was still able to find him at his hovel ~95% of the way through the game.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Invaders can only invade your like, secondary bases, which naturally just have your shittiest dudes and small amounts of resources. You can get more fobs and put more dudes and stuff on them, but you have to go out of your way to do that.

Honestly, they're mostly a source of shitloads of GMP when people try to invade your fobs and fail.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Why does shantae and the pirate's curse gotta keep trolling me so hard

Why is there a like, 20-screen segment where they take away your attack and you die in one hit?

Why did I spend 400 gembucks on an attack that is objectively worse than the one I start with?

Why does a questgiver ask for one more of (healing item) than I have while the game silently disables drops of that item?

Why do so many of the side-paths lead to enemy gauntlets with no reward because you went to them slightly too early?

Why do several of the dungeons require plot coupons that you have to backtrack to two islands ago to get, with no indication until you fight through several screens of dudes and they're like "sorry, go get the plot thing first, this was pointless."

The music is nice, it controls alright, but I don't get why people review this game so highly unless it's just the cartoon boobs.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Leal posted:

Tropico 4: I don't get tourism, and I guess tourism is indeed kinda jacked based on my google searches. Whatever, I don't mind getting some rather easy cash and it not making insane amounts of cash compared to industry is ok. But I just can't seem to get tourists to act right. I put all these attractions by their hotels, no they'll hop in a car and drive all the way to some random pub in the ghetto of the island. Or take up space in the ritzy part of the island and go to the nightclub there and not the nightclub right by the hotel.

Not only that but I built all these attractions to cater to certain types of tourists and for whatever reason that kind of tourist just stops showing up while I get scores of other tourists. One map I tried getting eco tourists and built a bunch of attractions that appeals to them. For whatever reason I kept getting spring break tourists, I guess they had the time of their lives driving all the way across the island to hit up the crappy pubs and cabarets. Next map I figure ok, lets just go with spring break since I got so many of them last map. Nope, despite building spring break attractions and setting everything to appeal specifically to spring breakers I suddenly get a ton of wealthy tourists

I DON'T EVEN HAVE ANYTHING THAT APPEALS TO THAT TYPE BUILT :psyduck:

It's been a while since I played Tropico 4, but if I remember correctly the way to make money with tourism is just to build a shitload of hotels. Eventually build some tourist attractions if all your entertainment fills up and tourists start complaining, but you make money just from them being there.

It doesn't make you as much money as industry, but nothing else does either and it doesn't require as much power or as many educated tropicans, and it doesn't dump pollution onto your island.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Finally got around to playing Far Cry 4, because my computer isn't garbage anymore.

While I was driving to some mission objective or whatever, I just automatically took a base without being seen because an elephant or some wild animals had killed everyone there, or something else had happened, I'm not even sure what.

I realize to a lot of people that would be a positive, but it just kind of completely demoralized me from ever playing the game again. I enjoy sneaking around and was having an okay time up until then, but it just killed the fun of the game for me. I can't fully articulate why, but I felt robbed.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Leal posted:

Tropico 4: Transportation. They did a hack job for the modern times expansion for a subway system to teleport your citizens around, but you can't use it in the vanilla campaign. Trying to work around the gridlock doesn't work out too well, I used to make different housing blocks but there are several problems with that. First is that tropicans don't always move to houses that are closer to work, second is someone who does move close to their job but their spouse works on the other side of the island, third is even if you build service buildings near the houses tropicans from other sides of the island will decide they want to use that building and the only free one will be on the other side of the island and you can see where this is going.

Another issue is this:

Just loving finish that last pixel you DICK :argh:

Pro-tip for Tropico 4: just set all building construction to high priority, they'll build faster. Just like a real banana republic!

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

sassassin posted:

Unexpected consequences dished out with no warning for apparently arbitrary reasons are good writing.

Losing control over where the story and your character are headed is fun.

I unironically agree.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

You can also hit them with wicked weaves without repercussion.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Fallout 4 sucks for the reason all Bethesda games suck: the writing, voice acting and combat are bad

At some point you realize that all those cool powers that are in your level list or whatever are going to be completely inconsequential by the time you can get them because even with heavy level-scaling the game is trivial by the time you're level 15 or so. Once you realize that you can never really play the game again.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Len posted:

At no point did I say it wasn't a bad story. I just don't understand why them trying to actually give their games a story is such a horrible thing. I mean hell Fallout 1 is "looking for a water chip" 2 "the GECK" 3 "my father" NV I'm honestly unsure about why is "my son" such a crazzzzzy thing? The complaint that pops up the most isn't "it's a bad story" it's "how dare they make a story that interferes with me being The Man With No Name/Dr Who/whatever else you want to pretend you are that the game literally doesn't react to

Because it puts the focus firmly on your character rather than the world around them and the people they meet. By the nature of the thing, your character is naturally going to be the most boring person in the world in one of these open-world games because their only defining characteristics are that they're very good at killing things and surviving, and they don't seem to worry about death much. Fallout 1 and 2 use the story as an excuse for your character to explore and learn more about this weird world and its weird locations and people and ideas, fallout 3 and 4's main plot give a huge poo poo about your boring-rear end main character.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Tiggum posted:

What are we supposed to be seeing here?

PubicMice posted:

For the first one, judging from the plaque I'm gonna say it's Kickstarter backers. As for the second, I dunno, but it sure is depressing.

They're the names of extremely famous and influential science-fiction authors, producers, directors, etc. I don't know if you've ever heard of this little indie flick, "The Matrix"?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

im pooping! posted:

I bought Hunie Pop on Steam for $20 and installed the naked mod and jacked off a bunch of times while playing it.

Eeeugh, actually playing one of the games you've bought on steam? Disgusting.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Played Horizon: Zero Dawn recently. It's alright. Setting is good, gameplay is mediocre with occasional interesting bits.

The upgrade system loving dire, though. Nearly everything beyond the first tier is either useless or just a boring numbers increase. I don't think I ever used the ledge kills or shot any arrows from a tightrope - it feels like that last one was from an earlier version of the game.

It's not like there wasn't space for upgrades, either - I would've killed for an upgrade to make my slide more useful.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

scarycave posted:

I bought the Evil Within 2 (I have not played 1 so I'm in the dark pretty much) but I remember hearing a phone ring in some place at the beginning but I couldn't find it - and I feel like there's been an arrow pointing to where the phone would be if I was still in that weird snuff palace.

That's the cover arrow. It points to where you'll run if you hit the cover button. It's stupid and annoying, but you can turn it off and it's actually useful when you're trying to sneak around, since you'll go much faster while staying down if you're going to cover for some reason.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Got Rise of the Tomb Raider recently. The combat and exploration are good and fun, but:

1. It has that boring climbing that's in a lot of games, and is only there to waste your time and pad out the game.

2. The basic purchase came with all the DLC, which is cool, but apparently some of that DLC unlocked all of the alternate weapons so a whole bunch of the exploration rewards are just worthless now.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Prey: Mooncrash is an incredible DLC, but if you accidentally beat the game by completing all of the objectives on the list they give you they lock you into the ending sequence with no option to continue playing the simulation. Want to play around with high-power characters? Have fun in the fully-unlocked simulation? Search around for books or cool areas you missed? Too bad, start a new game and unlock everything again/grind all the characters back up, this time being sure to leave one checkmark un-checked.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Witcher 3: this loving ghost boss

It just hovers outside of the circle that makes it take any damage at all and laughs at me. Then it splits into three and sucks all my blood out to recover any damage I've managed to do. Nothing else that I've been on the same level as has been nearly as infuriating. Can't bust this ghost!

The rest of the game seems occasionally annoying but pretty good.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Speaking of annoying bosses, Curse Of The Moon 2. The levels are fun, great mechanics, interesting progression system, and just like every other INTI CREATES game the bosses are completely patternized bullshit. Early on they die quickly enough that if you can dodge most of their attacks you'll be fine, but later on they kill you in three or four attacks and have a ton of health so you basically just have to have fought them eighty times to memorize all the bullshit they do and never deviate even a single pixel from the perfect strategy. Just pure memorization and trial and error.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I love the game, but if anything it's even worse about that. You can turn off individual UI elements if that helps, and if you're getting it on PC there are mods of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I picked up Blood West because it calls itself an immersive stealth FPS. It's pretty good! The level design is fun, the stealth works well most of the time, and your direct combat options, while powerful, are limited enough that it's satisfying to use stealth to get rid of stuff efficiently.

And then it added a bunch of monsters that you cannot stealth-kill because they're wearing outhouses. And big monsters that just sort of laugh at the backstab you just spent minutes slowly sneaking around for and then kill you in two hits.

Hey, guess what mechanic just completely isn't involved in fighting the first real boss? Guess what's just a big stupid firefight in a big flat arena, hope you didn't bring your weak stealth weapons you idiot?

Why do stealth games keep having sections without stealth? It's always the worst poo poo, in exactly the way stealth sections in non-stealth games are.

I will not be finishing Blood West.