Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Supposedly the cancelled sequel to Fallout Tactics took place in a swampy southern area that has been retaken by an irradiated GECK. I would've liked to see that, even if Fallout Tactics was not the greatest game in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

m.hache posted:

Crushing kitten skulls when you try to pet them?

My kittens are augmented.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I always turn motion blur off because it doesn't look that great to begin with and almost every time its tied to the camera movement so that's extra annoying.

I also turn off anti aliasing because having jagged edges doesn't bother me.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I'm about 2 hours in SOMA and so far I like it, except for one thing: I hate the hide from the headlight man parts. In fact I hate everything to do with the spooky headlight man. I understand without having something that could presumably kill you the game would have no gameplay other than walk from A to B, and I feel thats a major failing with the games design, especially since its so easy to just walk past all the other robot monsters floating in the sea.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I believe there was a hard time limit of something like 13 years in fallout 2.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

If you self destruct you get as much robot rear end as you want.

Here's something that drags nier automata down for me: I really, really don't like the combat. The only times that its anything close to interesting or fun is during the boss fights thanks to their gimmicks.

or I guess running enemies over with a moose.

I mean I imagine the standard response would be to crank the difficulty up but how would making already damage sponge enemies more of a damage sponge fix the problem of the combat just not being good?

Also you can sell quest items at the shops like what the gently caress.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

So I finished Nier Automata last night as after chewing on it for a night I'd have to say the thing that is really dragging down an okay game is the hype that I heard before going into it. Between the general best-story-ever-socks-you-right-in-the-feels hyperbole i heard by people who played the first Nier and SuperBunnyHop's video that describes how Nier was a mash-up of references and cliches, I was expecting something a whole lot more than a fairly standard action-rpg with some light seen-it-all-before philosophical references.

I mean it was worth wasting 32 hours on and the secret shmup credits sequence was a pleasant surprise.

I have to say though I never really enjoyed the combat, like it got more interesting after you upgrade your weapons and expand your combos, but I could never figure out what triggered parts of the combos enough to reliably do them. Sometimes at the end of a combo you'd shoot a rocket out but i couldn't replicate it, and sometimes I'd just randomly airjuggle a robot.

It did make me finally dust off my ps3 and start nier, so it had that going for it.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

It's cool if you don't like it but I'm a little puzzled as to how you played for over 30 hours without understanding how a dodge attack worked.

Like I said, I couldn't ever replicate them. Like I tried on single enemies and no matter what button combination or movement I led into them with, it just seemed to happen randomly in the middle of a huge battle. Hell, half the time it seemed like it ignored my button input completely and just did whatever.

And then by the end of the 30 hours played my mindset was "let's just get this over with, I'm sick of this poo poo."

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Slime posted:

Two things.

1) Are you sure you weren't button mashing? That'll gently caress you up real hard in these kinds of games.
2) Check your controller is actually working right.

Could be both, maybe?

Does it queue up inputs or something because it seemed like there would be a delay in switching around between light and heavy attacks?

My controller might be going bad, but this is the only game that I've had this issue.

Somfin posted:

Were you playing on easy? That attaches a bunch of chips that will sort of auto-fight for you.

Normal.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

So I've been playing Nier, and really the only thing thats dragging down the game for me is the lack of lock-on, especially when nier gets in the way of aiming the low-powered energy blasts unless its during a boss fight or something that pulls the camera up much higher in the arena. It does bug me a little when you can get sidequests for items that are in areas that you can't access fully at the time you get the sidequest, like the junkheap. Other than that it's great, probably building up to one of my favorite games of all time.

But I took a break from that and started playing Drakengard, which could be considered an entire game of things dragging the game down, but for some reason it works for me. I dig the repetitive sampled music. The combat is bad but it reminds me of LoK: Soul Reaver for some reason. The dreary art style fits the grimdark setting. The story starts out really generic and gets insane.

But there are things that just bug the poo poo out of me in it, like the terrible camera controls during ground combat, which I can give a pass to since off the top of my head I can't think of a console game from around that time that didn't have a terrible camera, but it fucks you over all the time. If you hit L2, you kinda sorta lock-on to an enemy in the form of a block, but it's random which enemy it locks onto, and it seems like 3/4s of the time it locks onto an enemy you just killed, but hasn't despawned yet. Your right stick allows you to turn the camera 90 degrees right or left, but that's it.

Each mission has an hour long time limit, which is more than enough time for just about every mission I've played, but it seems pointless when nothing other than secret poo poo is tied to the time limit and imo it gets in my way of sating my bloodlust during a level, especially one of the bigger ones, like the one where you take on the empire's army and there are many thousands of soldiers on the battlefield and I'm not sure you can kill them all before an hour is up. Also if you're on one of the bigger levels and it has multiple objectives that you don't initially know about, you might take a leisurely pace through it just to find that you suddenly are out of time and you need to complete like 20 minutes worth of killing in three minutes. Granted, that might just be the way I play.

Probably the biggest thing that annoys me are the archers, which are probably the weakest enemies in the game but they move slightly faster than you, can stucklock you, and if theyre offscreen, they rapid fire arrows into your back. They also rapid fire arrows into you while youre riding the dragon before they are in the games pretty poor draw distance.

One thing I like is how everything is tied to killing your enemies. Want to level up? kill dudes. Want to level your weapons up? kill dudes. You're currently on one hp and you desperately need to heal up? kill dudes and rack up a combo.

Another thing I like is how accessing the different endings is handled. Usually you have to play the entire game over again (which they made you do in Drakengard 2) but in drakengard you just have to replay a chapter while having a character in your party which you get by beating a certain level under a certain time limit. It reminds me of the system used in Siren.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Vic posted:

Fallout 1

That's all minor compared to the real thing dragging Fallout 1 (and 2) down: the jiggle your character does if you want to move straight up or down because the hex grid doesn't support it.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

All of the sidequests in Downpour are pointless though.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

In Dying Light, why are the side quests so much better than the main story? Why did I care more about Tolga and Fatin's retardedness over the course of the main game and the following than any of the main characters I was supposed to feel bad for, despite seeing both for roughly the same amount of time?

I imagine its because the main story is dedicated to being a checklist cliche mess and the side quests are a break from that.

Doesn't help that some characters just disappear from the main story for no reason.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Kiefer Sutherland is no David Hayter. :( And I just can't seem to get into the story of Phantom Pain the way I did with previous MGS games.

That's alright because the story of phantom pain is poo poo.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

imo the biggest problem is that the game is largely lacking in personality. If you stripped the few metal gear-isms that survived into mgs5, you'd just have a generic empty open world stealth/cover-shooter. Even the 80s setting doesn't matter much since they use future tech anyway.

Another problem is the story takes forever to actually start, and even when it does it goes nowhere. This is probably due to konami pushing an incomplete game out the door, but even if they didn't do that, I'm not sure where the story would head anyway. There's that episode 51 video, but all that does is somewhat close a plot thread.

Honestly, the worst thing in mgs5 is the loving skulls. Every mission they're involved in is garbage, theyre not fun to fight.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

I loved mgs5 gameplay and hated the cutscenes, but the reviews of survive made it look like boring jank? Is it actually fun?

It can be fun. I'm playing through it right now thanks to a sale and its not perfect, its a bit grindy (though I've never been in a situation where I'm locked out of something because I didn't grind enough bullshit), but I've been having fun dicking around with it. After a while you just get into a rhythm of sneaking into places, hoovering everything up and stealth killing zombies, and teleporting back.

It has a wonky pacing though, like the first two hours are really good, then the next 10 hours are kind of a waste since nothing really happens except youre wandering the dust activating fast travel points and doing a couple single player versions of multiplayer maps, then you hit this one point and it just gets amazing and feels more like metal gear than mgs5 ever did.

It's dumb pulp fun. I wouldn't recommend it at full price and I think the multiplayer is completely dead. I've heard some people describe it as a cheap mod passed as a full game, which yeah, it does feel like a mod (reuses a lot of assets, the game world is a highly condensed version of mgs5's game world, the plot is told almost completely in codec screens between chapters) but I don't know, it reminds me of when I used to download lovely zombie mod total conversions for games but I like it, I think it works in its favor.

One thing I think is really neat is it seems like when it randomly generates the side missions (which all have set locations), it calculates where you havent been recently and plops one there so that when you go there the loot in nearby buildings and stuff has regenerated, so youre not just going to place X to do Y and wasting your time.

Plus you actually get to customize your base camp (and it serves a purpose), at the beginning you get like a 16x16 block of space to put whatever wherever, then you can expand that at some point.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll see your knife and raise you the entire sewers. Particularly Ada's mission

Ada's mission while using the black and white noir filters. loving impossible.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

There aren't that many skulls missions in the game.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Crafting sucks because most of the time its used as a more "realistic" version of just giving you whatever, like instead of finding 12 bullets you find a pinch of gunpowder and some copper and you get to craft those 12 bullets yourself. Or instead of a completely intact first aid kit in this bombed out post apocalyptic wasteland you can find some clean cotton and a bottle of vodka and combine them into a first aid kit. Amazing!

Its a loving huge waste of time.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I ended up never really using the weapon crafting system after the initial bit because the weapons always seemed to get outclassed by normal drops very quickly and i had more fun dropkicking zombies.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

For me, having a setting called The City and chris avellone as a writer were good enough reasons to avoid dying light 2.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

you start getting volunteers that get the disease

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

ive been replaying re2make in preparation for re3 and whooo boy is getting to the sewer section a run stopper

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

im not sure how you could do an extra mode like the mercenaries because unlike re2make, the areas arent interconnected at all and even if you bruteforced a "get from landmark to landmark" objective it would be about 30 seconds long because each area is tiny

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

yeah re3 mercs was get from the tram to the beginning warehouse before the timer runs down, kill/dodge/rescue people to get extra time

the framing story was that the ubcs mercenaries were implanted with a bomb as a test lol

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

does car mechanic simulator realistically depict having to fight through rusted out shitpiles and bolts that tommy torquewrench had a go at?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

dont savescum disco elysium, if you fail a roll just go with it you have nothing to lose

savescumming every stat check is a great way to ruin the game

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

having to scour the maps for 9 containment tanks makes it really obvious that they ran out of ideas early on and needed to fill time so the game wasnt an hour long

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

CJacobs posted:

While I agree with your complaint that RE3 Remake is a little too faithful to the original pacing-wise, the clock tower is the Jill content that got cut from the middle.

edit: For reference, in the original you only played as Carlos once, from the time when Jill is knocked out to when he gets the vaccine to her. It was probably meant more as a little bonus thing where the player got a chance to go wild with an assault rifle for a bit. The remake gives Jill's visit to the RPD near the start of the game to him instead.

another thing that messes with the pacing is how the opening section with the lead up to meeting nemesis, where youre searching the streets and you meet brad, is completely missing

i think if they wouldve had that instead of the BLAM HERES NEMESIS opening it mightve turned out better, at least pacing-wise

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

words that are normally used to describe good games

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Saying a game is bad purely because it is flawed or due to a lack of personal enjoyment is lame. It's a stigma that has hung over gaming since its inception and it's a good thing to be wary of that when describing a game to someone imo.

i dont know about you but if i asked somebody their opinion on a game i was thinking of playing and their response was "i didnt like it" or "it was actively a slog and not enjoyable" i would follow up with asking for specifics, which usually people are willing to give

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

the one i get stuck on in silent hill is the one where it seems to be asking for like astrological signs or something but in reality all it wants is the number of legs that are shown

every loving time

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

rocksmith is fun and i have gotten better at playing guitar because of it, but its poo poo at teaching you a lot of stuff, even basic stuff like strumming patterns which just seems insane to me for what is supposed to be an educational game

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

yeah, one of the reasons i never played much multiplayer in any rts is because my preferred method of playing each map would be to take forever because goddamnit this base needs to be both functional and aesthetically pleasing, and then i would spend the last minute of each campaign map just moving my mass of units to flatten the enemy base as if it were an afterthought

i think i played one round of multiplayer starcraft and died almost instantly, and decided it wasnt for me at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

its not the first time somebody has died and come back to life