Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

This distinction is kind of funny in the Batman Arkham games. I'll take the game's word that Batman isn't actually killing these guys, but I bet some of them spend the rest of their lifes hooked up to ventilators and feeding tubes, or at least severely disabled.

Arkham Origins has Gordon call Batman out repeatedly on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

It's a universal law of fiction that a bullet to any of the extremities is a minor inconvenience that will be healed by the end of the day.

Fallout: New Vegas

One of the designers got kinda bitchy that players kept tending towards a Sniper build for long-distance headshots instead of "experimenting with limb-targeting tactics". This is because limb-targeting is bad; "i can shoot their leg and make them run at only 90% speed! i can shoot their arm so they drop their weapon and then pick it back up with the broken arm and keep firing!".

So he designed the DLC Dead Money to have enemies who could not be killed except by dismemberment and having the DLC take away all the players' equipment. Then the Old World Blues DLC spawns packs of enemies right behind you so you can't snipe them and has basically no bullets in the area.

New Vegas is waaaay too good to be brought down by this, but it's still annoying to see a game so obviously going "stop playing in ways i don't like!".

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

Does literally every accomplishment in human history that was worth anything have to be because of the Precursors/their artefacts? Does every important historical figure have to be an Assassin or Templar?

I absolutely hate any use of the "Ancient Aliens" trope for exactly this reason.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Horses went extinct (in North America at least) after the War in Fallout.

Motorcycles/the car would be cool, but I can't help but think some flavor would be lost if you go barreling down the highways running over bandits and ghouls and deathclaws.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

NorgLyle posted:

They did their best with it, considering they were working off of someone else's game, but goddamn do I hate the way enemies turn into bottomless buckets of HP in the late game of Fallout: New Vegas. It's most noticeable in some of the DLC areas but even in the main game you go from feeling terrified of being ambushed by Legion patrols to feeling like a badass when you headshot them (and make all their arms and legs fly off their body somehow) to feeling bored out of your mind as you empty another seven shots directly into their face to bring one guy down. I understand why they feel like they need to do level scaling but there has to be a better way to achieve it.

I appreciate that they put in a perk (Logan's Loophole) that locks your max level at 30, which keeps the bullet-spongeyness to the enemies that're supposed to be.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's really petty to complain about something that is extra content and doesn't hurt the game, but the overly-specific civs in Civilization 4 and 5 just rub me the wrong way.

Like, Byzantium was not a separate "civ" (though it pains me to say it). It was Rome in the medieval era. If you play as Rome, change your religion to Christianity, and move your capital to a new city called Constantinople, then BAM you're Byzantium (and especially the Byz of Justinian and Theodora's day, where Latin was still the official language).

Or the Holy Roman Empire. What the hell is the Holy Roman Empire if you're on a map with the Germans AND Romans AND Christianity is 4000 years in the future?

Brazil? Really?

Denmark and Sweden are TOTALLY SEPARATE on the scale of this game, guys, honest!

America is just as bad; they do have the excuse that it's the most powerful empire the world has ever known, so it'd be weird to totally exclude them in an empire-building game...still, Cavemen Yankees?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The God of War series kept trying to get dicks on the male monsters and Titans (Kronos in particular was supposed to have his tallywhacker showing), but they weren't allowed to.

kazil posted:

It'd be a pretty sparse game if it only included civilizations that were around for the entire span of actual civilization.

Yeah, but it's like, if you have the German 'civ', then it's not just the Kaiserreich 1871-1918, it's also the Germania tribes, the Holy Roman Empire, the Teutonic Knights, Prussia, the German Confederation, or the GDR.

But Brazil is just Brazil (and Venice is just Venice, America is just America, and the HRE is just the HRE, not specifically ragging on Brazil here). The specific civs seem out of place in a game about the grand sweep of human history.

But like I said, I know it's a petty complaint; more of "mildly irritating" than "URG THIS GAME IS poo poo".

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

So I was peeved when after consistently using the Greek names, in GoWIII they went with the Romanized 'Hercules' instead of 'Heracles.' :histdowns:

If you listen carefully, Kratos actually says "Heracles", even though the subtitles have "Hercules".

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Sometime after using a concubine's broken body to wedge a gate open, your given a standard "Kratos is so awesome that even Aphrodite wants to jump his bone" quicktime minigame.

Aphrodite was supposed to be a trap originally. The camera would pan away like the other minigames, then suddenly snap back to her trying to shank Kratos. Then you'd QTE to dodge, stab her with the dagger and kick her into the bottomless pits by her bed (which is why there are bottomless pits by her bed).

Great Metal Jesus posted:

While playing God of War 3 I honestly thought they were going to spell it out that Kratos is essentially the Christian God washing away the old gods and summoning the biblical plagues upon the world before ascending to heaven or whatever.

That was basically the GoW2 director's plan, hence the Spear of Destiny and the mural in the Fates' Temple showing the Three Wise Men (also the Blade of Olympus was supposed to be Excalibur).

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

The ending should have been Thor showing up and fading to black as he and Kratos square off, setting the stage for God of War IV: Midgard. :black101:

I would have been fine with Horus or Anubis too.

That was David Jaffe's original plan for III (you'd kill the Three Brothers in rapid succession, then the other mythologies' gods would swarm in to conquer Greece).

I don't much care for it, tbh. I mean, if Ra exists, why did the Sun fall from the sky when Helios was captured by Atlas? And the only Norse god anybody cares about is Thor, but we've already spent two games fighting a Thunder God. "Fight the God of Thunder yet again...with a hammer! (Totally different from fighting Zeus with the Blade or the Barbarian King, honest)".

Now a GoW knockoff, like Dante's Inferno, set in Norse or Egyptian myth would be pretty cool.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I don't remember San Andreas being up its own rear end with ~nihilism~.

I do remember a jetpack. Maybe Niko would be happier if he had a jetpack.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I started on San Andreas, so every other GTA is a step down\back\off a cliff. CJ might start off being "iuno about this", but that doesn't last past like..mission three. Then you're off stealing sound trucks from beach parties, running over survivalists with a combine harvester, and dogfighting the US Air Force over not-Hoover Dam.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Aug 16, 2014

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Sweet might have a point (in terms of the subculture) if CJ really did turn his back again and spurned everything that "made him", but his fortune was made entirely through crime and he even gets his hands on Ryder partway through his adventure.

Yeah, but none of that helped Grove Street. CJ's been off gallivanting through the state making himself rich and powerful while his home and gang goes to poo poo.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lotish posted:

If being augmented only really means basically the same level of capable but made of metal, I'm not really keen to part with my bits and bobs.

Being immune to infection, cancer and all other diseases, and even things like muscle cramps would be pretty sweet, though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

kazil posted:

Would you accept robotic arms if it meant you could never feel someone else's skin forever? That every time you touched a loved one they would just feel cold metal?

As a massive nerdgoon, I will already never touch anyone else's skin, so there's no downside.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

My spergy pet peeve is any fantasy RPG where you constantly get referred to as 'adventurers'. Or worse, ones who treat it like a profession, like 'oh my son is a farmer, and my daughter went off to be an adventurer'. It's just dumb as hell. Wandering the world heavily armed fighting things is something you do because important plot poo poo is going down. Imagine Lord of the Rings if they ran into a bunch of other Fellowships along the way that just sort of dithered around killing miscellaneous poo poo and living off a somehow endless supply of 10,0000 year old ruins, because work is work and it's not taxed or whatever.

Basically, turning heroism into a profession in order to cram game mechanics/D&D tropes where they don't belong.

I agree that games kinda overblow it (especially MMOs, where adventurers outnumber civilians a thousand to one), but the idea of heavily-armed dudes wandering around fighting things is roughly 900 years old: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight-errant

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

IIRC, some of the invisible walls are also there to keep high-level monsters like Deathclaws from strolling into the towns and killing everybody.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Thoughtless posted:

One more about Fallout New Vegas, I'm sorry.

I've killed every NPC in the Legion, including the leader, second-in-command, there's literally nobody left. Then, I nuked their ultimate stronghold. With a nuclear missile. A full goddamn nuke. It left a big hole and then I went in and killed all the ghoul-survivors too.

They're still sending killsquads after me. :negative:

Where are the clone production facilities man help!

You didn't kill their second-in-command, because he's the final boss of the game and doesn't show up before then.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The lovely ancient aliens reveal was very offensive

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

kazil posted:

I fail to see how stuff in New Vegas is at all different from the stuff in Skyrim. Caesar and the NCR are sitting there staring at each other for an eternity until the PC decides to do the quest.

NV kind of disguises it by saying they've been staring at each other for four years now, waiting for something to give them an edge - so if the Courier goofs off for a month or two, then it's just business as usual in the Mojave.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

AP is definitely an acquired taste. Just as a tip, the second level of the tech skills lets you bypass all hacking\lockpick minigames with an EMP grenade.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Shotguns are only good if they sound like God slamming His car door.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Beyond Earth always seemed like a weird idea anyway, since it's not like Civ takes place on Earth anyway.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

princecoo posted:

Also, the whole Tenpenny thing. Yeah, a corrupt cop is making you life hell, sure, but there comes a point where you have the support of your gang, who may control all of Los Santos, your Yakuza friends, hundereds of millions of dollars, and you're a bonafide proven badass yourself. You break into a top secret government facility for gods sake. You kill one of Tenpenny's corrupt cop buddies.

Yeah, but if you start looking at it like that, you also gotta remember there's stuff that the game inflicts on Carl that you the player don't have to pay for.

When you get kicked out of Los Santos, Carl shouldn't have any money (unless CRASH was nice enough to let him keep a roll of 5 million dollar bills in his pocket). All the money he earns in the Badlands goes to paying Truth for a couple tons of weed, so when you hit San Fierro you should be flat broke.

Besides, Carl isn't worried about Tenpenny by the time he has all that stuff. Toreno's in charge by then, and then Tenpenny gets arrested around the time you return to Santos.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

I always thought of Trevor as a sort of in-joke too. Most people play as homicidal lunatics focused on performing the most batshit stunts they can, so they finally made a character that reflects it.

Claude, Tommy Vercetti and Toni Cipriani were already like that. Hell, even CJ for all that he's called out as being 'a good guy' has no problem slaughtering anybody and everybody in his way.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

2house2fly posted:

If you sneak kill someone and nobody sees it in New Vegas you don't get a reputation hit.

Yeah, I went around assassinating NCR officers with Legion throwing spears and never took a hit for it as long as I stayed out of sight.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I thought Infamous had a good explanation for regenerating health - since Cole's a human battery, he absorbs the ambient electricity from the city's power grid. If you go into areas of the city without power, you stop regenerating.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Morpheus posted:

The writers just couldn't think of any reason for Marston to do this stuff except because he's forced to, and it really, really shows.

Well, yeah. The only reason he's doing anything in the game besides tending his ranch is because he's forced to.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

A lady in Undead Nightmare even blamed the zombies on the government. Although, I think it was meant to be taken as a joke given how much they beat you over the head with it in the main game.

Well technically, it was, just the Mexican government. :v:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Brainbread posted:

That in itself felt really out of place, especially when you can pick sides in most faction stories.

That is you picking sides, though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Roman Empire, for all its brutality, was incredibly successful, safe, and pretty much the best time/place to live on Earth until the rise of modern medicine.

The Legion is not the Roman Empire, and that made me sad.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Rome doesn't have poo poo on Egypt.

brb, making a yugioh mod

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Didn't the romans have a population breakdown such that there were multiple slaves for every single actual citizen, meaning all the things people idolize about the roman empire didn't really apply to most of its people.

If you go before the mid-twentieth century, nobody's ideals applied to most of their populace. But no, Rome's slave population was about 10-15% of the whole.

Don't mistake me for whitewashing the Empire, but you can't deny its culture and legal influence. Emperor Justinian's Codex is the basis for Western law, their infrastructure still crisscrosses Europe after two millennia, and one-and-a-half billion people worship in Rome's church.

The Legion has nothing even slightly like that, it's just all stabby rape dickheads all the time, and that blows.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Leal posted:

The smallest of things, but I want to play dress up

You can! Once you hit lv50, there's a quest to unlock the Glamor system, where you can make any item look like any other (as long as your class can wear it).

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Mr. House was a nice nuanced choice though? There was also the wildcard option (which could royally screw the region or not depending on earlier choices.)

House vs NCR is really, really well-balanced, and I would dare say one of the best "moral choice" setups in video game history. It pretty much comes down to what you the player value more.

Wildcard's mostly a non-ending cause it's the failsafe you can do no matter what, so it doesn't commit to much.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

Unless you're somehow in the way of his "vision."

Like...?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tweet Me Balls posted:

There is a bunker of fairly well equipped but largely outmatched cultists known as the Brotherhood of Steel, and if you want to play House's game, you have to kill them to the last man because they could possibly pose a threat. Somehow.

The BoS is fundamentally opposed to anybody but them having Pre-War technology, and House is nothing but Pre-War tech. Vault 21 is dug under the strip and a potential weak point into House's bunker. The Kings being allied to NCR puts the Republic in control of the way in to Vegas.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Given that the Strip relies on NCR money, it's hard to see this as a problem.

The Strip is only dependent on NCR money for now. House's plan is to retake all the industry around the city (most of which he owned before the War) and make Vegas self-sufficient. Having a foreign power controlling your trade/access isn't ever good for a city-state.

Kimmalah posted:

Anyway, this poo poo's probably going to go on forever because you could debate the good and bad of every faction all day.

Pretty much! That's why it sucks so bad that the Legion is Pure Evil On Earth; there's actual, interesting debate to be had between supporting House or the NCR beyond the usual video game "well i did this path last time" or "i wanna see the content". With the Legion, nothing.

Unless you really like the idea of rape camps and female slavery, but then that's a different problem.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Also you can leave the Brotherhood alive in the Independent ending, and surprise, surprise, they start blockading the highways and seizing any technology they find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

You can alt-tab to your desktop to go on the internet/check skype/facebook without your computer throwing a hissy fit and possibly crashing the game.

Why would you go on facebook while playing a game, though?