Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't know, I thought the Chaos system in Dishonored worked perfectly - I went through the game as non-lethally as possible with a few exceptions (I think I killed an early target by accident, I know I killed a few guards at least indirectly, and I killed at least half the guards and the target of Dunwall Tower without any remorse), I went on to murder literally everything that moved during the last map, and I still got the best ending as far as I can tell. It really was pretty forgiving, and by the time I was on the last map I was pretty excited to let loose with all the hacking tools and lethal traps I'd been hoarding.

I never did get the bone charm that made choke holds faster, though.

For content, I've started a new game of Morrowind. gently caress you, Vivec. gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you.

I've spent literally hundreds of hours playing this game. I know my way around Vivec, more or less. One of the very first things I did on this new character was create a spell to Fortify Speed so I could walk at a halfway acceptable rate.

This ridiculous city is still a bitch and a half to get around. God help you if you use an Almsivi Intervention in the wrong place and end up at the Temple Canton unexpectedly.

gently caress Vivec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I grabbed The Secret World during the Steam Summer Sale and I'm loving it so far - I don't know how I missed it when it came out but the theme and setting are right up my alley, and so far it's been interesting enough that I've even gone out of my way to talk to all the NPCs about all the topics they have available.

The one thing that drags it down for me is how weird it is compared to other MMORPGs. While the basic abilities are all cooldown based like every WoW clone ever, they have extra mechanics that make them a little weirder. Plus, since it's a modern setting and doesn't use a class system, you can't apply the bog-standard fantasy tropes from DnD as a gauge for how things work. If you want to heal, you can't just be a cleric or whatever, you need to get skilled at a healing weapon like an Assault Rifle.

You know, like all those medical assault rifles that EMTs across the country are carrying. Right.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The PS Vita is my favorite handheld system of all time, but by god Sony needs to fix whatever the hell is holding back the rest of the PSOne Classics from being playable on it. I have all kinds of Crash Bandicoot games and Bomberman Fantasy Race and stuff that I can only play on my PS3, when apparently Europe has been able to transfer them to the Vita since like day one.

How is SCEA so godawful as a company? When the Vita came out, hundreds of PSOne Classics were available to play in Europe within days. SCEA instead decided to flip the switch on two games a week, if that, because they are a poo poo company run by poo poo individuals.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The save system in Bioshock: Infinite is stupid as hell and doesn't deserve to be in a game that otherwise exudes polish.

scarycave posted:

As a heads up - you need certain thing stickers to do any real damage to a boss, if you don't have 'em you'll run out of stickers and when that happens your totally hosed. Also the game is pretty much doing the same thing every-other Mario game is doing, by being unoriginal with its level stuff, grassland,desert,poison forest with the ocean thrown in, etc.

They've gone from really interesting and standout chapters like the murder mystery in 2 for stuff we've seen a thousand times over thanks to the NSMB stuff.

Sticker Star is just not a very good game at all. By getting rid of experience, the only thing you get from battles is coins. The only things you use coins on are tough enemies/bossfights and stickers. You don't need to buy more stickers if you don't get into battles in the first place, and you really don't need coins badly enough to make fighting any trash mobs worth it. They removed a crucial part of the risk-reward equation that makes games fun and did nothing at all to try to mitigate it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm at a point in The Secret World right now where I want to change zones frequently. Unfortunately, loading a new zone takes an ungodly long time, and that's if the game doesn't manage to crash somehow along the way.

JK! posted:

Yup. The first moment you get control after waking up from coming back to life you can make a save. Put the ME2 save onto your comp using a flash drive and the program USBXTAFGUI. Use Modio to open the save game and pick out the save you just made.

Use gibbed ME2 editor on save_01 or whatever and it'll open up everything to you. add a zero to the end of every mineral and you never have to mine at all. you can also give yourself all the money and make one shot kill guns which are great if you just want to replay the story and make different choices.

It'll also allow you to unlock Legion early and use him everywhere because he's the best. And has a lot of unique dialog. Taking him on Tali's loyalty mission is fantastic.

There's also an editor for ME3

Holy crap, I didn't know about this. Thanks.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Thoughtless posted:

Skyrim's inability to let you finish quests in any other way than the intended. The daedra quests often have you doing horrible stuff, and while I like being evil in games I don't like being forced into it.

This applies to the randomized quests, too - pick up that book you found in a random dungeon? Well, now you've got a quest to give it to someone, but they won't take it because you need to pick it up from the dungeon to advance the quest tracker, and it's not in the dungeon anymore.

I love Bethesda games, but what in the everlasting gently caress. That is like, the first scenario that would be worth testing in a randomized quest system like that. I have no idea if it's fixed now but I originally played it like half a year after it was released and the problem persisted.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The best part of Skyrim is how it clearly needed a few more months of work just on the quests alone. From reading forum posts about it at the time, it almost seems like the majority of people screwed up the murder mystery quest chain the first time through. Again, this is the kind of thing that could have been fixed, but hitting that goofyass 11/11/11 release date was more important than releasing a game that actually works right I guess.

Bethesda.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

One thing dragging Disgaea 3 down for me is that I have absolutely zero drive to continue with the ridiculously awful story. I love the game, but every time I play it's like I'll do a single main story fight and then just dick around in Item World for the next two hours.

Another thing dragging it down is just the complete lack of any useful tutorial stuff. When should I reincarnate a unit? What is the benefit to some of the clubs? It's not a huge deal or anything because I'm so vastly overleveled for the main story but I'd like to at least have some idea how to really take advantage of that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'd really like to give King's Field: the Ancient City another try but the control scheme is just atrocious. It's like it was put together by someone who had never actually seen a videogame before but really wanted to push all the buttons on the controller.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Jesus. I just got back into Danganronpa and it's amazingly frustrating how stupid the protagonist is. The worst thing I've seen so far is a choice where you decide whether or not to tell Kyoko about the mastermind's spy. There is NO REASON AT ALL not to, based on what you already know about the characters - it's not like Kyoko is going to fly off the handle and start throwing around accusations without figuring out what's going on. But if you choose to talk about it, the game pulls a "But thou must!" and forces you to repeat the decision until you make the choice that under the circumstances makes almost NO sense.

The whole game falls into this really bizarre category for me where I have to admit that I'm not really enjoying what I'm playing most of the time, but the plot is just barely enticing enough for me to keep going for some kind of payoff at the end. The Class Trials are fun (even if they would be better with more options to play around with and more dynamic scenarios) but everything leading up to them drags on forever.

I guess the biggest issue for me is it's not Zero Escape 3, and we'll probably never get a conclusion to that trilogy. :(

Thoughtless posted:

Skyrim is bullshit for mages too. The combat turns into you stunlocking the enemy and doing about 1 hp (or so it feels) in damage with your destruction spells, and there's no challenge or fun to be had whatsoever. The damage part spells is way too weak but the stunlock part is way too strong, so you always win without effort against enemies that can be stunned and get destroyed by ones that can't.

I remember the magazine article that I read that first mentioned they were adding additional non-damage effects to the Destruction spell elements. My first reaction was "oh, that's awesome", but my second reaction about 20s later was "wait that is going to be a clusterfuck and everything but the stunlock will be pretty much useless." Fortunately TES games have never been about 'balance'.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

Jesus. I just got back into Danganronpa and it's amazingly frustrating how stupid the protagonist is. The worst thing I've seen so far is a choice where you decide whether or not to tell Kyoko about the mastermind's spy. There is NO REASON AT ALL not to, based on what you already know about the characters - it's not like Kyoko is going to fly off the handle and start throwing around accusations without figuring out what's going on. But if you choose to talk about it, the game pulls a "But thou must!" and forces you to repeat the decision until you make the choice that under the circumstances makes almost NO sense.

The whole game falls into this really bizarre category for me where I have to admit that I'm not really enjoying what I'm playing most of the time, but the plot is just barely enticing enough for me to keep going for some kind of payoff at the end. The Class Trials are fun (even if they would be better with more options to play around with and more dynamic scenarios) but everything leading up to them drags on forever.

I guess the biggest issue for me is it's not Zero Escape 3, and we'll probably never get a conclusion to that trilogy. :(

Annnnnd I finished it. The ending dragged the game down for me. It fit the rest of the game, I guess, but saying "hey whatever I tell you is going to seem like a cop-out" does not make the cop-out of not explaining ANYTHING about the Tragedy suck any less. And what the gently caress was up with that post-credits scene, anyway?

Does Danganronpa 2 touch on or explain any of this crap or is it just same poo poo, different setting?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Not a game complaint but a system one - I grabbed Tatsunoko vs. Capcom used today and hooked up my Wii to test it out, and it was such a pain to just get into the game. The game itself takes Gamecube controllers for input, but of course the Wii doesn't auto-start a game when you put the disc in for whatever reason. I had to dig up a Wii controller, find batteries to put in it, and then I realized that the sensor bar had fallen somewhere behind my titanic entertainment system with very little hope of recovery so I had to do further digging to find a Classic controller and select and start the game that way.

As soon as the game started it was like "Wii controllers won't be used if a GC controller is in Slot 1." Great, that's what I wanted. But the fact that the Wii itself made it such a pain to even start the game is ridiculous. The PS3 auto-starts games when you put the disc in if you're not in another application, I'd assume the 360 does the same thing - if I'm at the home screen and I put a game disc in it's because I want to play that game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The menus in Destiny are atrociously bad and seem to be designed for a mouse.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'd say it works really well though. It's a big fuckoff circle that speeds up when you're not on an option and slows down when you are. Makes navigation of weapon and power select faster.

I really could not disagree more - I manage to overshoot the edges of my inventory consistently.

And on top of that, even if it WAS perfect for heat-of-battle inventory management, it's still dumb as hell for stuff like selecting your character at the beginning of the game and the In Orbit screens. When you're in orbit, there is only one of two possible buttons on the entire goddamn screen, SELECT DESTINATION or LAUNCH. There's no button to "click" them, you have to go over with the mouse cursor and select them every time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I don't think you can reasonably say that the interface was designed for PC just because of the cursor aspect.

It's a really good thing that I never said anything of the sort then, isn't it?

It just stands out as a poor design choice (particularly on those screens I mentioned before with literally only a single option) in what's otherwise an extremely polished game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm playing Dwarf Fortress at the moment and it's a complicated enough game without all the bugs - there's a feature to check if your trade depot is accessible to caravans, and this whole time it's been telling me that not only was my depot inaccessible but the entire REGION was.

Imagine my surprise when a loving caravan shows up at my trade depot with no issues whatsoever.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Divinity: Original Sin and Shadowrun Returns were pretty well regarded.

Shadowrun Returns was a really pleasant surprise for me - I didn't fund it but picked it up later on sale and had a blast.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Sure as gently caress reads like it. Not like mice are loving common on console. :colbert: Qualifies as "of the sort".

K dude, keep equating an input device to an actual platform and a GUI to a full game if it makes you feel good I guess. The menus absolutely feel like they would be far more manageable with a mouse and I genuinely don't see how you can argue otherwise. There is a reason console games don't generally have cursor-based menus: they suck without a mouse or touch input device.

I've been playing MGS2 more or less completely blind and it seems like there are a lot of "gotcha" deaths that it's almost impossible to anticipate the first time around. For example, I was on one of the bridges connecting the struts in Big Shell where there's a straight path from door 1 to door 2 with a couple of guards on it, then a path below and to the right accessible via staircase. I snuck about a quarter of the way up the bridge, hung over the side to dodge the guards, and started shimmying along. I let my grip meter run out since there was a platform right below me anyway, but when I dropped onto it the loving floor fell out and dumped me unceremoniously into the ocean. How is anyone supposed to see something like that coming?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Dropping floor panels look different than other walkways.

Ah, good to know. I probably missed it since I was dropping from the ledge and paying attention to the guards. Thanks.

Cleretic posted:

For once I'd just like to see a loot-based game that gives you ways to extend the 'lifespan' of your gear. If you get a really good weapon early in Borderlands 2 (which I did, with my assassin getting a purple-rank rapid-fire sniper rifle with incendiary bullets), then you're probably going to feel weaker and weaker as you level up and that gear doesn't hold up, and you don't get a good replacement.

It doesn't have to be that it's always just as useful, either, I could see great value in having a way to expend some resources to make your old weapon a little bit better as a band-aid solution while you look for a good replacement.

EDIT: My avatar, of course, reminded me that City of Heroes had enhancements to powers that depreciated over time, eventually becoming completely useless as you outlevelled them. But at lest that was pretty obvious, enhancements were common enough that you could grab replacements, and later high-end enhancements scaled with your level. The same can't be said about guns that don't suck in Borderlands.

I think one of the best ways to deal with this is to have gear level up with you as you use it, like an affinity sort of thing - but then you run into the problem where you'll never find another piece of gear as good as that rare drop you found at level 5 that you've been using the whole game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

im pooping! posted:

You shouldn't feel bad about any time you get hosed up in MGS games, they are crazy in general and it's actually endearing.

Yeah - last night just as I felt like I was getting burnt out on the game Raiden cartwheeled into a stairwell and faceplanted like an idiot. It was so unexpected I actually laughed out loud and I found the interest to keep playing for another hour.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

The controls could have been a lot tighter, speaking as a person who never played the game at release.

Have you ever played another Metroid game, ever? They are all kinda floaty.

Y'know, 'cuz space.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Good lord Destiny needs some kind of level veto option. I've played probably ten rounds so far tonight and I swear it's all just been Rusted Lands and Twilight Gap, with a SINGLE ROUND of Shores of Memory or whatever thrown in for variety.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Destiny needs a lot of things. :v:

You could fill up a a whole page with all the annoying poo poo dragging it down.

Probably. I still think the good vastly outweighs the bad, though, it just makes the really egregious oversights stand out that much more.

I stopped off at the Tower to decode some engrams and pick up new bounties, then decided to play a different PvP game mode. Four more rounds, two each on Twilight Gap and Rusted Lands. I mean, that's ridiculous.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Holy poo poo, I had no idea Troy Baker was in so much until just now. I knew about FFXIII and Persona 4 but apparently he's in like half a dozen games that I've really enjoyed and I never even realized it.

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I liked Destiny for the ride it was but Bungie is completely out of their minds if they think people are going to play this for much longer. It lacks the customization/variety for lasting multiplayer pvp and for the mmo aspects there is a serious lack of content and basic quality of life mechanics that have been standard for a decade. The loot is also very lackluster with very very very few if any game changing gear that you have to grind up to buy.

I totally 100% do not understand this mindset. I mean, I've never been a hardcore FPS kind of guy but I buy basically every other CoD and Battlefield game and end up playing them online for a million hours even though I'm terrible. I can see that the content in Destiny is kinda lacking on the story front so far but there's more on the horizon already and what's already there is still more varied than basically every other modern FPS single-player stuff. And the PvP has a few issues, sure, but it's still a blast.

Speaking of issues, I really like the inventory system the game uses but hate how it handles the start of a match. Shotguns and sniper rifles are both "special weapons" so you can only have one equipped at a time, and you start a match with extremely limited special weapon ammo. On top of that, switching special weapons mid-round just blows a bunch of your ammo away (to prevent people from swapping between low- and long-range guns all the time and wrecking balance). So when a match finally gets underway and you're shown the title of the map, there's a good chance that you're going to want to swap out what you have equipped before it starts so you don't eat the ammo loss. Good luck, though, the game inexplicably punts you out of the inventory screen basically every two seconds on the three screens between knowing where you're playing and actually getting to do anything. It wouldn't even be a big deal except you can open the inventory and swap your gear out literally any other time in the game without any issues.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Tengames posted:

a great way to harden up would be to not loving drop me in difficulty when i fail so i can keep practicing against harder opponents. (and also not making me grind coins so I can try again)

Grind coins by playing single matches against level 9 opponents, problem solved.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I finally got around to playing some Uncharted (a little late on that one, I know), but the fight at the end of Chapter 17 is the most unfun thing I've ever had to do half a dozen times before I finally pulled it off.

To top it off, I played it at a friend's place and now I feel like beating it, so I get to play through the whole game again. So far I'm only dreading two fights in the whole thing, but Chapter 17 is so bad that it just makes the other fight I'm not looking forward to seem like a mild setback by comparison.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah. I knew the game got "weird" and it was honestly telegraphed pretty hard the whole time, but the actual fight is just not fun. It's a small dark room with no cover - in a cover shooter - full of holes that enemies crawl out of so there's no way to protect yourself from all angles at once. Plus, since they can't be melee attacked, there's a good chance you're going to blow through most of your ammo on the fight (and while there are a couple M4s and shotguns in the room, there's enough enemies that you'll probably blow through those as well. God help your sorry rear end if you pick up one of the M4s and then grab the ammo from the other one, maxing out the clip with a measly 10 more rounds instead of emptying the gun first and picking up ~35 from the second.)

Meanwhile you get to hear the same four lines of dialogue over and over again. Jesus Christ, Elena just toss down the drat rope already - ROPES CAN'T RUST.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Firstborn posted:

- Black Flag: Nobody cares about the Animus stuff. Please stop loving doing this. You are doing something cool, and get to break immersion and drive the pacing to a goddamn stand still while you walk around a big metacommentary on how hard it is to be a video game designer. gently caress you, Ubi Soft.

As someone who's only played Black Flag, the Animus stuff was kind of an interesting change of pace and I liked it. I can understand not wanting to break up the whole pirate-simulator with a day job, but you seem pretty disproportionately angry about it...especially since (for as long as I've played up to in the game, which is admittedly not far) after the first scene there the game doesn't really force you to spend much time in the "real" world at all.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Star Control 2 seems really cool but I can't get decent enough at the combat to have any fun with it. I go and explore the abandoned base on the moon for the space station and afterwards an angry space spider attacks. I get crushed because I don't really know the controls. Okay, I'm at the menu already and I see this "super melee" option so I go in and mash buttons until I figure out how to shoot my spaceguns (on that note - right CTRL? Really? And left CTRL doesn't work?). I end up consistently doing pretty well in the crazy neo-Asteroids combat minigame in super melee and reload my save.

I STILL end up getting murdered by the angry spider guy. What in the hell am I doing wrong? I'm not generally THAT bad at videogames....

Cleretic posted:

Like I brought up in the little things thread, I played Mega Man X for the first time. And it's great, so much so that I'm probably going to play X2 soon (and then maybe continue on the series until I reach the one that Inafune wanted to end on; that was 4, right?).

The only thing I can complain about is something that really annoyed me; the boss weaknesses made no sense. This is my first Mega Man game that wasn't a Battle Network, so I have no idea if this is just an accepted conceit, but any attempts at logical deduction of who was weak to what fell apart after 'Chill Penguin's weak to Flame Wave'. Sting Chameleon is weak to Boomer Kuwanger's weapon, and Storm Eagle is weak to Sting Chameleon's, and gently caress if I know why because neither 'boomerang beats camouflage beats bird' nor 'bug beats lizard beats bird' make any sense. Why is an armadillo weak to electricity? Why is a dog that shoots ice weak to it? Why is loving everything weak to Rolling Shield? None of this makes any logical sense, and I have no idea how they decided on weaknesses or how they expected us to figure it out.

Again, maybe this is just a concession of the series, maybe weaknesses never tried to make realistic sense and I'm a fool for trying to apply it. But I was just left a bit lost and confused after every single attempt at logic I used to deduce who might be weak to what failed.

The Mega Man X/Classic boss weaknesses were almost always trial and error, but that's pretty much OK because they're all completely doable with a regular buster. Think of the weaknesses as a nice bonus for the first time you face a boss and a shortcut every time after that.

The Zero series boss weaknesses were dumb for an entirely different reason, and Legends (e.g. The Best Mega Man Games) didn't really have boss weaknesses at all.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

The Mega Man X talk reminded me of one of my favorites - Mega Man X4.

I think it was the first one on Playstation. Graphics were great, levels and power ups were fun, and it wasn't too difficult. What sucked is that the final boss is on a completely different planet, difficulty-wise. I've played through the game a handful of times with no real problem, but once I get to Sigma 2, I'm stopped dead.

This guy makes it look way easier than I remember.

Ugh, you just gave me flashbacks. I can beat most of the bosses in this game without taking any damage at all, up to and including the first two forms of Sigma. But holy poo poo that last form is just evil - I've only beaten it using the cheat that gives you infinite Nova Strike or whatever the ultimate armor attack is called.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I really like Destiny a lot but some of the challenges are just stupidly difficult if you don't outright cheese them by hiding in some obscure corner where the spawns can't hit you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I currently cannot aim down iron sights in (PC, unmodded vanilla) FO:NV and while it's a minor thing (since between VATS and hip firing I'm not having much trouble) it is annoying that the game is apparently so chock full of bugs I can't find anything about my specific issue online at all. It's like it'll flash to iron sights aiming for a single frame the second I depress the mouse button, but it was working fine for two hours prior to that. Ugh.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

Canonically cliff racers were also driven to extinction by the dude you first meet on the prison boat. I guess people hated them so much the devs threw that little tidbit into Skyrim.

I've always known that cliff racers were universally hated but never really understood why. They make loud, distinct noises when they're about to attack you, and are super easy to dispatch with any kind of Marksman or Destruction skill. I've also definitely killed a bunch with melee attacks, so it's possible.

E: You want an annoying enemy, look at the scrib. Little bastards that are easy to miss on the ground while you're off picking magical flowers or whatever that hit you with a paralyzing attack. THERE's an annoying enemy.

Kimmalah posted:

I found a few people who had this problem but in their cases it was the mouse button loving up instead of the game. Is there another one you could test it with? Maybe it's wearing out and reached its limit sometime while you were playing.

Doubtful since it works 100% fine in literally every other game and program on my computer. I guess if any one game was poorly programmed enough to make my actual hardware gently caress up somehow it would be FO:NV but I really don't think so. It seems to go away until I enter the Pip-Boy screen when I double-right-click anyway. It's really no big deal though, like I said it's more or less completely mitigated by VATS anyway.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Jan 4, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

This is kind of a general one but it came up when I was thinking of finally trying to beat Baroque. It's a really cool, vaguely creepy surreal action rogue like game.

What drags it down is that progressing the story relies on a bunch of seemingly arbitrary crap that is super hard to figure out without looking up. It's a game with a strictly limited inventory space. To progress the plot a little bit the first time (IIRC) you need to find and keep a certain unremarkable item and get it back to the surface, where you give it to one of the crazy NPCs to make him....more crazy? I guess? And then he hides in the sand and you can kill him, I think. It's completely out of left field and maybe it would make more sense if I played farther but playing blind it's completely incomprehensible. I like it when a game's plot is cryptic and leaves me feeling a bit lost. When the actual progression does the same, that's a problem.

Also the PS2 port is a pile of poo poo and the draw distance is so low that you can barely see the goal on the final floor until you're pretty much right up against it, which sucks because that triggers one of the two ways to end a run.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I honestly really liked the basic gameplay once I got into it, it's just that you can run through the tower multiple times without figuring out what the gently caress-hell you actually need to do next.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Dude, put the controller down and just watch an LP of it. I love Atlus to death but holy balls, Baroque is a bad game.

Baroque is a Sting game, just published by Atlus.

But regardless I actually really dig the game itself. The gameplay is pretty unique (I'm having trouble thinking of another 3d action-roguelike) and the aesthetic is cool, it's just annoyingly cryptic at times. And my first complaint was actually sort of unfounded, because last night when I fired it up again there was a guy in the dungeon that really strongly hinted at what you needed to do to progress the story.

On topic: the game has an iOS port (go try it, it's free to download and an absolutely laughable $18 to unlock the full game). Unless my copy was bugged somehow the port only has one song for music, doesn't have voiceovers, and the camera turn rate is far too slow to actually play the game. Why do companies even bother porting games that the platform obviously can't handle well, do a lovely job on the port, and then charge an arm and a leg for it? It's insane. See also: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite iOS.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

What was wrong with the Wii port?

And everyone knows you wiggle the d-pad the opposite direction the poke ball goes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Skilled players win more" seems like a really silly thing to complain about. And the maps are fine, there were some problems before the big patch with a few control zones (particularly Blind Watch) but they've been resolved.

The "best weapons" thing is pretty patently false unless you're playing Iron Banner which is completely optional.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

Sorcerers have always been the hipsters of the magic world.

Even with the 'best weapon' and Iron banner, you still only have a marginal advantage 1 on 1. What I don't like about Destiny pvp is the abundance of special weapon ammo and the supers. Of course, Bungie had to work them both into the game, but sniper rifles have always been power weapons. If you just need to restock your ammo when you run out or if you have an Ice Breaker (:iia:) it cheapens the game. Supers on the other hand just suck the fun out when you run into someone with one. There's nothing you can do to avoid it especially if it's a Gunslinger or Bladedancer aside from running the gently caress away.

I've talked to my friends about it and they are equal parts, "Everything is unfair (because I'm not good)" and "But that's how it should work".

Yes, sniper rifles should 1 hit quit you in real life, but this is a video game. What about the loving space magic, dude?

Eh most snipers are only 1 hit kill if you get a headshot (which can be harder than it should be because Destiny has the most atrocious auto aim ever, which is my on topic gripe) and you lose significant special ammo when you die and end up needing to restock at the ammo crates. I really like Destiny even though it has some serious flaws, but from playing it for a while you can really tell some serious thought went into designing pvp to be fun even when everyone can bring their own build.

I think a lot of complaints might come from the fact that it plays more like Halo than Call of Duty in terms of the way that guns work. Supers can be a dumb way to end a good streak but for the most part I think they add a decent risk to just running around the map with a shotgun and a bunch of melee buffs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Haha wow. Even ignoring your demonstrably false claim that guns have only been balanced once you sound like you're mad that you're not good at the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The thing that drags down Destiny is how often I've had to run Summoning Pits on absurd difficulties. The end of the quest chain to get Thorn was the dumbest, least fun thing I've had to do in a video game in a long time. It was like a half an hour of popping through the doorway, killing a few Knights, running back through the other doorway when the Shrieker spawns. Rinse and repeat for a half an hour until that stupid ultra wizard shows up.