Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Inco posted:

Oh, so that's why the roll is completely useless. That's just excellent. I stopped playing because of a combination of the roll being utter poo poo, and getting oneshot by everything because my max HP is now half of what it's supposed to be. I can't get anywhere and it's bullshit.

Have you tried using a Human Effigy to refill your health?
Or if you go to Heide's Tower of Flame instead of Forest of Fallen Giants, and head towards the cathedral, literally right before the boss door is a metal chest containing a ring that puts your max HP when fully hollowed at 75% instead of 50%. The enemies along the way are strong but slow and mostly come at you one at a time. Some of them will even drop aggro if you run far enough. You do need to kill the last one to drop the drawbridge to the ring, though.

Edit:
Or in the Forest, at the merchant's bonfire (Cardinal Tower?) go upstairs, you can break that door down just by hitting it, pick up the Small White Soapstone, use that to help a dude and restore your health that way.

bewilderment has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ryoshi posted:

Ah, good to know. I probably missed it since I was dropping from the ledge and paying attention to the guards. Thanks.

I think one of the best ways to deal with this is to have gear level up with you as you use it, like an affinity sort of thing - but then you run into the problem where you'll never find another piece of gear as good as that rare drop you found at level 5 that you've been using the whole game.

And weirdly enough Destiny, which was the original complaint, does this, as the good items gain experience of their own that lets them unlock abilities.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nolan North was in The Last of Us, and while if you listen carefully you can tell that it's Nolan North, he does pretty well playing someone totally different to what he's normally typecast as. Bonus points for having both Nolan North and Troy Baker in the same game, but never actually giving them dialogue together.

I finished playing inFamous: Second Son, and it was a pretty good game (with Troy Baker doing a pretty good job of playing a... Native American graffiti artist?). The thing dragging it down is that the main story missions, while generally pretty good, are few and far-between, and the sidemissions mostly just feel like padding, as compared to the second game where they had a bit of variety to them. The game tries to make up for it, I think, by making the sidemission part of taking down the bad guy bases all over town an open problem that doesn't force a single approach, but it makes it all feel a bit samey, since neither of your eventual sidekicks ever feel like helping out with it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Fishing keeps showing up in Japanese games because being an island nation, fishing is important to their cultural history and everybody knows about going fishing and stuff like that.

How much of their target demographics gives a poo poo, I couldn't tell you. I can understand a fishing minigame in Okami because it's literally Japanese Mythology: The Game, but in a Final Fantasy game or whatever I don't know what the Japan/rest of world revenue split is.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

RyokoTK posted:

The very worst is at the end of the TYM building in China, when you suddenly get thrust against about a dozen soldiers at the end of a cutscene with no way to really get past them or avoid fighting them. My first playthrough, I had next to no combat skills because I was just being Mister Stealth and I just had to give up and start over with a more combat focused character because I could not get past without being detected. It was really awful.

This is absolutely false, especially if you're Mister Stealth. They start out initially not knowing where you are, and you have access to a vent on the right hand side (facing the exit) that leads almost all the way there. All you need to do is get in the vent, wait for the way to the elevator to be mostly clear, then switch on superstealth and run into the elevator and smack the button.

Much like people complaining about saving Malik midway through the game, but it's actually very easy if you go the non-lethal route (but not necessarily stealthy). As long as you have enough stun darts and an EMP, all you need to do is run counterclockwise around the arena mashing your takedown or stungun as appropriate since it'll be a one-hit knockout on any enemy, and Malik is taking all the aggro. Then you just EMP the bot along your way and you're done. I needed to pull out my pistol at the end though to lethally kill two guys just because I didn't feel like walking back up to them to kill them because they were high up on rooftops.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Tiggum posted:

What really annoyed me about that was how dumb Jensen is in the cutscene. He's got a gun pointed at this woman and she is clearly trying to maneuver around him, but he just lets her do it, he doesn't make her back up against a wall or tell her to stop moving or anything. :argh:

Both of those are easy if you know the specific trick for beating them ahead of time. When you're playing it the fist time they're both very difficult sections because you're suddenly mobbed by a whole lot of dudes you weren't expecting.

The Malik ambush, sure, I took a look on youtube to notice that there were several clear paths around the area. But the end of Tai Yong Medical, I did myself. You have access to the entire floor before you hit the end of it and trigger the cutscene, and by that point in the game you should be exploring every nook and cranny for vents and stuff. I ghosted that part my first time through.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Speaking of La-Mulana and obtuse puzzles, the LP of it (which is almost complete) in the forum is actually a "here's how a player would actually solve the puzzles" run of it, to prove that it's possible to complete the game without a guide using only the hints present in the game. It still definitely assumes that you're keeping track of almost everything that looks even vaguely like a hint and screenshotting or otherwise saving it, though.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Rick_Hunter posted:

Speaking of annoying sounds, I just finished Tomb Raider (2013) and getting the multiplayer achievements was like going to work. Since no one really play the game anymore, I was grinding XP and the PCs will just not shut the gently caress up with the chatter. I did the same thing and muted the TV as soon as I turned it on and just played some music from my laptop to make the time pass.

Why are you playing an optional part of a game that isn't fun for you? Games are for fun. Or challenge, I guess. But you're not having fun or challenging yourself with dead multiplayer.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite part about Gwynevere (Amazing Chest Ahead) in Dark Souls is how for a while everyone thought it was supposed to signify another character's gender and self-body issues because of his backstory, then in an interview it just turned out that one of the artists just really likes breasts.

Yeah, the official story is that she was supposed to be a very 'pure virgin' looking sort of character, looking a bit like Astraea in Demon's Souls, but then the concept artist drew the big boobed thing you see in the official artbook and he seemed really happy and excited about it. And the game director just went "well I guess it's good enough" and into the game it went.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hobo By Design posted:

I'm playing through Knock Knock, a sidescrolling indie horror game by icepick lodge (makers of Pathologic and that one game with crotchless naked oldman babies.) I have a soft spot for pretentious indie things, but the game parts are a bit unbalanced. It's about exploring a slightly randomized house, waiting for morning, doing home repair, while dodging ghosts. Hiding can fail (if you are bad, like me) and ghosts cannot follow players between floors. The safest way to wait until morning is to wait at a ladder between floors and just go up/down it when you see a ghost. Which is not :spooky:.

Ghosts only appear if you sit still long enough for your man to close his eyes (which you need to do to make stuff appear in some rooms anyway). Technically as long as time's actually passing then the safest thing isn't to wait still, it's to constantly pace back and forth.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Judge Tesla posted:

So Persona 4, great game, probably the best game on the Vita and I've put more than 90 hours into it, but, it has one problem, one tiny thing that drags it down for me, it takes so goddamn long to start a new game, from the time you see Igor's big nose in the intro to when you eventually fight Shadow Yoskue is a good few hours of gameplay, and even then things don't get rolling properly until Yukkiko gets grabbed a few hours later again.

I just want to be able to summon Satan and Lucifer sooner game!

Yeah, I remember this on the PS2. If you were gonna start a new game then for the entire opening sequence you really needed, like, a snack and a warm comfy blanket or something, whatever helps you chill out, because you're gonna be watching anime and occasionally advancing text for the next two to three hours.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Interruptions are weird because the obvious thing to do is to do the exact same thing they do is movie scripts - give the voice actor the complete line to say, then when you actually go into audio editing, have it suddenly cut off into the next line.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Once you get Resonance of Fate it seems kind of cool and then you realise that since there's very little actual 'abilities' in the game, outside of your equipment loadout gameplay is pretty much the same every single battle.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Boofchicken posted:

A small thing in Dragon Age:Inquistion but for some reason the text you get when you complete a war room task is insanely hard to read. I am probably fifteen feet away from a high def, 65 inch tv and it is still almost impossible to read. The black text on the aged parchment they show every time is hardly legible.

So I decided to get back into Guild Wars 2, which is an Actually Good MMO that doesn't just mindlessly copy WoW, and for the most part the content is great. All super good. Highly recommended.

But the dungeons.
Well, firstly, dungeons tend to use a bunch of mechanics and traps that aren't used very much in the main game, besides some of the super secret (unless you look at a wiki) hidden open-world dungeons and jumping puzzles. But that's mostly OK - it's pretty much that way in a bunch of MMOs. Structured group PvE content is different from solo content. Alright.
But the way dungeon rewards are organised, the main 'reward' for a dungeon (outside of the random loot and gold you get as you go through) is that running through it gets you dungeon tokens, which you trade in for dungeon-themed armor. This would be cool and fun if one run = one piece of armor, because each dungeon has at least three unique 'paths' that you can take through it, but instead it's closer to five runs = one piece of armor, which feels super masochistic.
And since you need to do it so many times to succeed, this means that in a PUG of strangers, the One True Way to complete dungeons is to only equip gear that boosts your offensive stats, turning you into a glass cannon, only set your traits (think talent points) so that they boost your own offensive stats and those of your allies, and only set your skills/abilities to those that either do enormous damage, boost your offensive traits, or grant Aegis, which is a buff that blocks a single attack. This is all so that you can get through a dungeon as quickly as possible, and absolutely destroy any bosses before their gimmicks can bring down the party.
If you aren't a 'berserker build' and you don't have some friends or guildmates to do a dungeon with you, no dungeon runs for you.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Thoughtless posted:

The thing dragging Guild Wars 2 down for me was the storyline. It's fairly interesting stuff, if a bit generic, but your character is the central hero. Then at some point this incredibly bland Mary Sue NPCs character comes in, becomes the commander of all the armies and the story switches to focusing entirely on him, and you basically do chores to help this guy you don't care about at in the slightest. He doesn't do much either since you're still the one doing all the work, but all the other NPCs praise him.

It's kind of a silly thing to be annoyed at in an MMORPG but it ruined a perfectly serviceable story.

This gets a bit better right towards the very end of the game where he starts accompanying you on missions and stuff, but the writers seemed to do a bad job of making it seem like your character was the one giving the orders to the NPCs that you meet.
One mission had me, explicitly called the 'Commander' overseeing a guard team while the scout team went ahead. After there was no word back from the scout team, an NPC says "we've waited long enough, let's go". What, they couldn't at least have given that line to my character instead?
The uneven 'personal story' does drag the game down a little bit. But as far as MMO stories go, at least there's some variation so it's not the same thing every time.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

shock.wav posted:

From a few pages ago, but I couldn't agree with this more. I found myself dreading reaching level 20, 30, 40, 50 and so on because I knew I'd be forced to do another boring conversation mission.

And as far as I am aware, they are mandatory. They take over your quest log and you can't ignore them. Stop all that fun stuff you're doing, go all the way back to Divinity's Reach and have an epic conversation about going somewhere else to continue the conversation. Ugh.

The way the game works, it's not like there's literally anything else in your quest log, though. You really are free to ignore them all.

Apparently they had the lead writers do a lot of the ambient NPC dialogue while other writers did the actual dialogue for the personal story, and it kind of shows.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CJacobs posted:

I meant it in a good and bad way, really. Red and the sword are pretty darn snarky for it being the end of the world and the former being unable to talk.

Red literally doesn't talk except through typing in access terminals, and pretty much every time it's just trying to tell people to run and then giving up.
Blue says whatever's on his mind but he's rarely actively humourous.

I really have no clue what you're talking about.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Darkest Dungeon is a pretty fun Early Access game even if it's a bit more shallow and minimal than it might initially appear (still worth the price tag probably though). But a good little thing in it is that party members will occasionally say little things in their text boxes before performing an action.

The bad thing is that the chance of saying stuff goes up drastically if someone in your party's stressed out, and the way the game works, if poo poo starts going bad, then it's probably going to keep going bad. Which means that you can end up with dudes unskippably yelling stuff and slowing down battle, especially since their stress is making them take suboptimal options and slowing things down even more.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My Lovely Horse posted:

Then again I can hardly remember ever shooting a gun in Human Revolution.

If you wanted to save Malik then you needed to shoot the stun gun a few times. And if you didn't pick the right route then there's one or two remaining snipers that need to be picked off because it'll take ages to get up there.

Once you know that the secret is "go anticlockwise around the arena" the whole thing is surprisingly easy.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Elfface posted:

Damnit Dorian, stop making a thrall out of the last enemy in the rifts! I can't close it until it's dead!

I think if you tell him to cast it again, it'll be dismissed.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Perestroika posted:

Hey, Pillars of Eternity, you're pretty fun so far, but maybe don't put a surprise mini-boss fight with a fairly steep spike in difficulty right after a very long and drawn-out dialogue phase with no chance to save inbetween.

If this is the 'miniboss' in Caed Nua when you first get there then yeah, I agree.
Long, drawn out conversation full of story stuff and a direction on where to go next in the game. Then suddenly haha boss fight out of nowhere, with two minions, no save for you (not even when it would have made sense, to trigger after you try to leave the room). And he's not an exceptionally hard boss but the AoE spell or whatever he has that he casts can be pretty rough and can easily wipe your squishies.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Similar stuff in Okami, which is probably the best Zeldalike game ever except for the part where your fairy equivalent, Issun, will not loving shut up in the early game and will insist on telling you exactly how to solve a puzzle before you even try. It gets toned down as the game progresses that but that opening is just irritating.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

suuma posted:

Shadow of the Colossus: the horse controls and the inability of the PC to actually hold onto a colossus while climbing sure make me want to break a controller in half

Really? Most people are fans of the horse controls in that game. The key is that you don't need to steer it like a car - as long as you tell it to go forwards it'll handle most obstacles and small bends in the path without needing your input.

Contrecoup posted:

Also your wizard learns new spells by paying money to a book.

This is an old DnD-ism where adding spells to your spellbook requires several pages worth of expensive inks and materials. One that was indeed probably best left out.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The "here's a time limit, find the least bad way to cut off a finger" is probably the best done part of Heavy Rain. Much like all of David Cage's games it's got some neat ideas wrapped up in all kinds of bullshit.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Jastiger posted:

Content: Trying Heroes of the Storm. It's neat, but why is everything so drat expensive. It's like they neeeeeed me to spend money on this supposedly f2p game and it gets in the way of any enjoyment with all the gating.

This is true of almost every F2P game except Smite, which actually does the sensible thing and lets you play $30 to unlock all the dudes and then everything else is just cosmetic.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

death .cab for qt posted:

Dark Souls II has the best durability system. Everything has fairly low durability, it automatically repairs at bonfires, you pay souls to fix items at a blacksmith otherwise, and weapons have a little bar below their icon on the HUD showing how much durability is left.

Your items are never destroyed, just rendered temporarily useless, and it forces you to diversify your weapons in order to survive extended exploration trips.

You forgot the part where Dark Souls 2 had durability tied to the framerate on release when you hit objects or other things that degraded durability faster than enemies, and so PC players broke their swords a lot faster than console players.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What? No I choose the option to leave him and never heard anything else about it and had no quest in my quest log about it.

Yup. For that character, if you don't resolve their quest, then in the postgame they're gone forever because you missed your window of opportunity to deal with their issue and they've been executed.

I mean I guess if you really wanted to execute him yourself then you can be mad that you don't get to do that, but that's what local law enforcement is for!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Witcher 3's tutorial/five hour long beginner area begins and ends with the main character naked taking a bath, and getting out of it dripping wet, so at least there's some steps towards equality that way! There's not even a woman in the second scene.

On the other hand, dragging down Witcher 3 is that picking up literally anything flags that tab in your inventory as 'something new' even when it's just added to your stack of other flowers you plucked from the ground.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Alouicious posted:

it's based on a polish pulp fantasy novel, that's the intended experience.

If you've ever been to Poland then this makes perfect sense, yes.

pictured: probably some Lord's son in Witcher 3

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Regardless of Games Are Art, games are art in the same way the architecture of an office building or some other large structure is art. You need there to be so many floors, you need these floors to have this furniture and layout but these upper floors to have that layout, you need the right building materials and underlying wiring and plumbing and infrastructure and all that.

Sometimes an architect/civil engineer can say "gently caress you, you don't know how to design a building like this, I wanted it to be this way" and sometimes none of the toilets work and the third elevator is unusable and the floor gives way if you put enough weight on it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Witcher 3 on PS4 plays great, runs great, all around a great game.
Except some of even the most babby enemies (Drowners, for example) can wreck you if you're not paying attention. This by itself isn't a problem... except that the load times are absolute rear end if you're reloading a save.
It's not PS2 or PS3-era five minute load times to load a big level, but I somehow wish the designers were wizards able to compress the loading time a bit better - I personally wouldn't mind if the game did the standard "pop in the textures on a load a few seconds later" but I guess they didn't want that, or it didn't fit in with the way they built the game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Heavy Lobster posted:

A thing dragging Shadow of Mordor down: I don't like when the one captain who's been coming back from the grave and intercepting you for the past hour finally dies for good. I like the rotating cast of orc jerks to murder, but I'll miss having That One Guy who exists solely for me to behead over and over again.

In my Shadow of Mordor run I had Golm the Uncatchable, who had the traits of being immune to sneak attacks and ranged, ran super fast, had the ambush trait to come out of nowhere, and also had the trait where he'd just leave you for dead sometimes instead of actually killing you.

When I got the branding power I came back to the first map to brand him and finish him for good, but looking back I really should have kept him alive so that he'd be my final boss.

There was also this one orc who had crazy poisoned dual boomerangs as weapons? He just made me so mad when he killed me that I told all my orc buddies to pile onto him, though.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Because MGSV has online play that ties into your base management, every time you access your base management to fiddle your guys, if you're online it takes a minute to check the servers and stuff before that part of the menu loads. Feels pretty unnecessary!

The thing dragging down Rocket League for me is even players who seem to have a good deal of games under their belt don't seem to know the following really basic things:
1. If you spawn the furthest away from the ball, you're defending from the kickoff. Don't chase the ball.
2. If at least one of your teammates is already in a good position to go for the ball, go back and defend instead of mashing your face into the ball.
3. You can jump and rocket into the air to hit high balls. This is literally in the tutorials. Yeah doing it is hard and you'll whiff a huge amount when you're still learning, but it's super fun to zoom into the air instead of being glued to the ground. Just give it a shot instead of sitting there tamely waiting for the ball to stop bouncing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Away all Goats posted:

My friend and I enjoyed Guacemelee until it basically stopped being a 2D beat em up and basically turned into a platformer/puzzle game towards the end of the game.

I'm not sure what you're expecting when the very first time you pick up a power up, there's a statue of a Metroid there to say "Hey look what kind of game we are" and then you literally break open a Chozo statue.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nuebot posted:

I haven't run into any of that yet and I fear it. It sounds kind of annoying. But then again anything I don't want to abduct just gets shot in the face and my primary tactic of fighting is to just sprint towards dudes and punch them in the back of the head.

One thing I don't like, and another change from Ground Zeroes, is that enemies never seem to drop alert status anymore. Once you get detected and they start calling in reinforcements you're kind of boned unless you manage to go on some crazy murder spree and kill literally everyone in a short time frame.

Enemies will definitely drop combat alert status if you can lose them. Losing them once they've properly spotted you can be difficult, though.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

They seriously needed to push all of the subplots way further, especially the Father's. Dude was going loving mental and the game starts with them being off camping when the wife is having an affair with Ranger Rick. With how easy you find all the clues to your mom's infidelity you'd assume he would have found them too when he's that paranoid. He writes conspiracy theory articles for fucks sake.

I don't know if I interpreted things very differently than you did, but from what I can tell, while the wife definitely had a huge crush on the Ranger, it wasn't really requited, and they're going to the couple's retreat camp to try and patch up their marriage. Terry never gets cucked.

I think Terry's underlying story makes sense to be more in the background - figuring it out is part of the game, in the same way (but less) that some people obsess over Dark Souls lore.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Action Tortoise posted:

I feel like exploration games reveal something hypocritical about myself. I'm all for games trying new and experimental techniques to convey experiences and tell stories but besides Thirty Flights of Loving I've never purchased one because I'm not sure if I wanna put money down on something that doesn't have a "gamey" (any form of interaction besides walking around a space and inspecting objects) aspect to it and Thirty Flights was only $5 at launch. It's a value for dollars issue with me, I guess.

Gone Home has piqued my interest from time to time.

Gone Home gives you about an hour or two of playtime where Thirty Flights of Loving gives you, like, fifteen minutes tops.
It also is actually mostly a 'traditional game' in the sort of adventure game mold. You do occasionally have to solve a puzzle to figure out where to pick up something (e.g. 'find the pieces of this map to figure out where the key is to open this door'). There's a couple of little Easter Eggs if you perform certain actions.

It's the same sort of experience as The Stanley Parable, except Stanley is all about metafiction and humour and so on, whereas Gone Home is a traditional story. It's actually a game with very clear goals - the end goal of the game is 'get into the attic'. Solving that puzzle is the game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Judge Tesla posted:

As a British person, the accents sound genuine to me, or at least its not voiced by Americans pretending to be British. :v:

I'm reminded of people saying "These accents on civilians in Just Cause 2 are so silly and unrealistic/racist!" when actually they were pretty close to Southeast Asian accents.
Except for Bolo Santosi, who is done by an English voice actress doing a very exaggerated Singaporean accent.

Thing bringing down Until Dawn (although I can understand why):
Once you beat the game, you can jump around between chapters to see alternate things that can happen, and see a different ending. But you can't jump straight from one chapter to another. So if you pick chapter 3, then jump to chapter 5, it won't use any of your new chapter 3 changes - it'll be the same chapter 5 as your original playthrough.
So if you're trying for different endings and outcomes, the 'Chapter Select' basically means 'start a new game, but all my choices are the same as the last playthrough up to this point'.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Action Tortoise posted:

I think mostly everyone on your crew had something to do with their fathers in Mass Effect 2. Miranda, Jacob, Tali. Thane's on the other side of the coin. It was a very dad-centric game.

If not dad, then parenting issues of a sort - Jack has to deal with the fact that her 'parents' in Cerberus actually treated her better than most of the other test subjects.
Grunt has dad stuff with Dr Okeer.
Morinth and Samara have stuff going on.
Legion and the Geth has things going on with "are the reapers our predecessors, should we try to emulate them?".

Basically all the non-DLC main characters have some kind of issue to do with parenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

MysticalMachineGun posted:

MGSV - you can't tell in the supply drop menu if a weapon is going to be on your back or your main, so you can't tell which one it's going to replace.

I called for a grenade launcher last night and despite rocket launchers being back weapons, grenade launchers replace your assault rifles.

Also I did Mission 20 last night and as far as I can tell there's no way to beat the man on fire. I dropped both water towers on him, blew up tanks near him, and even tried to force him off the cliff into the river below (after first trying to dive into the river myself and promptly dying) but nothing worked until the rain came. Don't bail me out when I've used all the tools you've given me, game.

You're just meant to call a chopper and run as soon as you disable him with a water tower. If you try calling the helicopter while he's still up, he'll blast the hell out of it and destroy it.

You can also get an actual kill in one of the following two ways:
1. Shotgunning him into the little pool, or exploding him into it somehow.
2. Disabling him with water three times, shooting the little guy while he's down. On the third time your hits will actually land on the little guy... and then you can actually try to Fulton the Man on Fire. You don't actually get him in your base, but it does end the battle.