Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tiggum posted:

I like to think that everyone secretly agrees with me that boss fights are terrible. I don't know how many games I've played up to the first boss and then just stopped playing forever.

Well, I like to think everyone agrees that Megaman 9 and 10 were godawful cash-grabs at nostalgia rather than attempts to make good games, but that doesn't make that true either.

Boss fights are awesome, and games entirely about boss fights are awesomer. :c00lbert: Shadow of the Colossus, represent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Kimmalah posted:

Boss fights can be fun or a huge pain in the rear end that can ruin a game right off the bat, which I'm guessing might have something to do with the move away from them. Not everyone thinks they're fun or plays games as some kind of test of how many times they can beat their head against a boss before finally winning.

Oh, that's reasonable, but that seems to be more of an issue on a per-game basis rather than a mark against all boss fights. For example, I beat my head against the last enemy gauntlet in Savannah Citadel in Sonic Unleashed for DAYS because I always lost to the last two or three Egg Fighters. Until you level the Werehog up a bit it's just mindless button mashing and hoping the QTE gods are feeling benevolent, and that just reeks of bad design to me.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

death .cab for qt posted:

Plus, you can spend all day parrying the silver knights. :allears:

I did. I memorized their locations. I gave them names.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Binding of Isaac looks like it might be a fun Zelda-like game, but its aesthetic looks like something that I would have mocked back in high school. It's the kind of "edgy" dead-baby garbage that died when Invader Zim was taken off the air.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

DStecks posted:

Trevor isn't meant to be a fully realized character on his own; he only needs character traits in so far as he reflects Michael's dark side. That is Trevor's purpose as a character, to embody Michael's past and his refusal to fully break with it.

I always thought of Trevor as a sort of in-joke too. Most people play as homicidal lunatics focused on performing the most batshit stunts they can, so they finally made a character that reflects it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

im pooping! posted:

I play pretty conservatively in those games, but the first time I met Trevor, I went wild. It felt so liberating to just be crazy while staying in character. A few missions down the road he's flying through the hills on a dirt bike at like 100MPH and I had the biggest smile on my face the entire time. It's really the first time I can remember a video game doing that to me.

If you haven't, play Saints Row 4. It's the perfect culmination of crazy a GTA-like could ever hope for, plus a thousand and one pop culture references! And some of them are even funny!

My only problem with it is that some of the activities get old and the game is far too short. Aside from that, it's the perfect game.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

1stGear posted:

Its literally part of the plot in Saints Row 4 that the Boss is a violent sociopath and the game makes fun of the previous games for being GTA clones and not being able to decide if they were serious crime-dramas or wacky slapstick comedy. SR4 is probably the only open-world game that truly understands how story works in open world games.

The Dubstep Gun is literally the greatest weapon in the history of video gaming. The BFG 9000 and Gravity Gun can loving eat me. :colbert: In fact, it's so good that it makes the game a cakewalk, and I have to force myself to use the other weapons in order to give the game a chance.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I love Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance so much that I may need to seek counseling, but I'm not afraid to admit that the parry/dodge mechanic feels a little janky. This sucks, because so far it's the only thing that lets me survive Revengeance difficulty.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It's too dependent on enemy positioning for my tastes. I would have preferred a straight-up "guard" button instead, but that's just my opinion.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I played Bayonetta all the way through after playing MGR:R, and holy crap did Platinum learn a lot of lessons between those two games. Metal Gear Rising has difficulty, but it always felt fair, while Bayonetta had more than its fair share of moments where I felt compelled to cry "Fuckin' really, Platinum? FUCKIN' REALLY?"

Also, Bayonetta makes me cringe so much. I feel like I need to be put on an FBI watch list.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

To be fair right now we have people holding up Chainsaw Lollipop and the new Tomb Raider as bastions of feminism. All things considered it's a step in the right direction with having female character designers creating the character and exploring what women want to see in games versus getting an achievement for looking up her skirt poo poo. They did overdo it a little much in Bayo 1, do they at least try to handle it better in Bayo 2?

Considering Platinum made it a running gag that Raiden continually "playfully" harassed a perfectly healthy young woman about her weight over Codec in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and they made every single character flip their poo poo about the oversexualized first boss's enormous breasts, I doubt it.

Platinum, I want so badly to like you, why must you keep alienating me? I want to give you my money for your games! Stop "ironically" treating women like objects!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Who What Now posted:

Aside from one, maybe two, instance the Wonderful 101 avoids most overt sexualization.

"Aside from where it does, it doesn't."

Oh, Platinum.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Suddenly I am okay with not owning a WiiU.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Who What Now posted:

I'll take "vain and boy-crazy" over "rampant slut" any day.

or
OR
OR

Or they could just make an interesting character without dipping into insulting stereotypes! Also, lol at those "rampant sluts" who enjoy sex, right? It's totally cool to shame sexually promiscuous people! All the cool, conservative kids are doing it these days!

Inco posted:

It was probably all in Codec calls, which you could be forgiven for never seeing because they're completely optional, somewhat lengthy, very numerous, and they trash the game's flow. I've never bothered listening to them outside of a couple from the first level, because that's valuable time I could be using slicing mooks in half and harvesting their cyborg spinal fluids.

They are. But when people say things like "dude it's just one scene" or "it's totally optional" I have to wonder why they felt the need to put it in, period. What if we switched the stereotype? What if we gave Kevin, a good-natured black guy, a bunch of Codec conversations where Raiden gets onto him for eating chicken and watermelon so much?

Bad stereotypes are bad stereotypes, and they bring down otherwise great games.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah you have to have something wrong with you not to enjoy the plot of MGR

By the end of Armstrong's speech I was ready to vote Republican.

VOTE FOR STEPHEN ARMSTRONG! HE IS CONSTANTLY EXPLODING!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

WickedHate posted:

There's a key difference between the two. Dick defended torture as "enhanced interrogation". Armstrong would have admitted to torture and called everyone opposed to it pussies.

He would also have flex his muscles so hard the podium would explode and the surrounding area would erupt in lava, and then he'd ghost-ride his sweet-rear end Metal Gear Excelsus into the horizon, both middle fingers extended high into the air while patriotic dubstep booms from nowhere and everywhere at once..

Here's something that brings down Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for me: NOT ENOUGH AWESOME ARMSTRONG SCENES.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

sforzacio posted:

What the gently caress.

That was the coolest thing I've ever seen. I need to pick this up immediately.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a game where the tutorial level has you get into a sword-fight with a giant aquatic monster-tank and ends with a fight with the manliest politician to ever grace Washington on top of the ruins of a giant spider tank you also had to sword-fight.

BUY THE GAME.

Also, who can forget:

AH'M FUKKIN' INVINCIBLE!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Hobo By Design posted:

Skipping to Armstrong starts the fight from the very beginning before he's lava. Which is great to see him chew the scenery but a pain for just tearing him up. Also can't skip to Bladewolf :(

On Very Hard mode I keep getting my rear end kicked just after he breaks Raiden's HF Blade. It's hilarious to watch him tackle and backhand Raiden over and over, but someday I'd like to beat him. And I keep dying to those loving Gekkos in the very beginning of Revengeance mode. It's technically my fault, but sucking at the game brings it down for me. :(

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

WickedHate posted:

During the fight, Raiden outright calls them gimmicky bullshit that shouldn't be used in real combat.

I call bullshit on that, by the way. According to Colonel Campbell, "I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm, in flap-jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on Hiri-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!"

I mean, c'mon, Campbell's got his ducks in a row.

(I love Metal Gear dialogue.)

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
People used to laugh at the kid who sat in the back of class eating paste. Then Desperado came.

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are baby turd-colored shitshows with snatches of amusing writing buried amidst the steaming piles like desiccated corn kernels. Skyrim might have been shallow and generic, but at least it was accessible, and you didn't have a dreary brown/green/orange filter smudged over the camera lens.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The Colonel posted:

The most I've ever seen rope kid say to defend the Legion is "yeah we didn't really have any time to put in anything to make the Legion not entirely evil".

The sad thing is that Caesar was an interesting character with some good points, but not quite good enough to justify mass-murder, slavery, and institutionalized rape. Perhaps -- perhaps! -- it might have been better to focus on the whole "we're conquering and civilizing the wasteland!" :hist101: instead of the whole "AVE IMPERATOR! WOMEN ARE LITERAL SEX OBJECTS!" :agesilaus: thing.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "Hey, maybe it's a bad idea to make the villains into rape-hungry murderfiends if we want to introduce a moral ambiguity option."

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Austrian mook posted:

Rome doesn't have poo poo on Egypt.

Rome didn't have killer mummies walking around; they just dealt with the occasional member of the godly pantheon roaming around humping people in the form of a goat or something.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Byzantine posted:

Unless you really like the idea of rape camps and female slavery, but then that's a different problem.

Imagine a fedora tipping over a human face, forever. M'lady.

Seriously, Legion has zero depth and it's annoying because even villains should have some ambiguity about them.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Yeah, Goatman don't have poo poo on some of these people.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

EmmyOk posted:

There's no point in developers trying to make good looking or artistically interesting games because Ókami has already been made. They should just focus on pixels and frames.

For content, MGS2 is amazing but playing as Raiden instead of Snake is definitely a shame. I don't even dislike Raiden, I'm one of the few people who quite liked him even before revengeance. He just looks bad when the game opens with you playing as Snake and in constant codec contact with Snake for the rest of the game. He never measures up when he's constantly juxtaposed with Snake.

Speaking of the tanker opening mission versus the rest of the game; the main game insists on spamming you with codec calls and tutorials on how to do all the stuff you spent the past two hours doing on the tanker.

I think that was actually the point -- they were hammering in just how "inexperienced" Raiden was. That's why every other word out of his mouth was a nasal whine. And then in Revengeance he just goes "gently caress stealth, gently caress subtlety, gently caress fairness, IT'S TIME FOR JACK TO LET 'ER RIP!" :black101: and it became the best Metal Gear game ever.

Also, Metal Gear Solid 2 is a slow, clunky, ugly little game with just enough fun detail to keep me interested.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Speaking of fishing...

HEY JAPAN. WE GET IT. YOUR NATION IS A SERIES OF ISLANDS AND FISHING IS IMPORTANT TO YOUR CULTURE. BUT NOT EVERY GAME NEEDS A loving FISHING MINIGAME. THEY'RE ALWAYS AWFUL.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

MindlessHavok posted:

Look at this screaming idiot that's never played the breath of fire games.

Why would I when I could play good games instead? :smug:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

grittyreboot posted:

In Mass Effect 2 Shepard is forcibly recruited by Cerberus, an avowed human supremacist terrorist organization. The Illusive Man provides you with your own personal assistant, Kelly Chambers. Her reason for joining Cerberus is something along the lines of "Well, my sister runs a dog shelter, but that doesn't mean she hates cats." I feel like a more appropriate analogy would be "My sister thinks dogs should run everything and blows up cat shelters." In fact, all the Cerberus employees on the ship are portrayed as pretty decent people who think Cerberus is better than the Alliance just because they "get things done."

I wouldn't mind it so much if the game ever gave you the option of calling them on their bullshit logic.

She's using the whole "We don't hate black people, we're just proud of being white!" excuse closeted racists fall back on.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Dark Souls is the greatest hentai game I've ever played.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

RBA Starblade posted:

Amazing chest ahead

Smough's immaculate golden manboobs made Anor Londo into a luscious, erotic adventure.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
No More Heroes was a great game brought down by a lack of substance. It was flashy and weird, but shallow -- and that's okay. Not every game has to be Dark Souls in terms of depth. No More Heroes 2, on the other hand, seems so shallow and threadbare that I honestly think it shouldn't have existed. Now I understand why Grasshopper Manufacture doesn't like to make sequels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm playing The Darkness 1 and, clunky as it is, I'm really enjoying it. The story and characters have managed to sucker me in unexpectedly well, and the powers are really fun to use. Between this and Escape from Butcher Bay, Starbreeze do/did an amazing job at taking questionable licenses and making really good games out of them with incredibly relatable characters and dialogue. Things dragging it down now that I accidentally care about some broody 90s B-comic characters, in 2015:

1) I know the sequel ends on a cliffhanger and a third game does not seem to be happening
2) The comics based on it are apparently so utterly awful that they managed to sputter on readerless until like a month ago when they unceremoniously had the main character killed off pointlessly after 20 years in a side issue of Witchblade that nobody read because nobody still reads Top Cow

The first Darkness game was pretty loving awesome. It looked gritty and cinematic, and it had satisfying conclusion: Jackie gets his revenge, but the Darkness claims him. But then the sequel comes along and "LOL! Nope, he ends up okay, and he's now a mob boss! gently caress your detailed photorealism, enjoy your cel-shaded pile of hot garbage based directly on a mediocre license nobody gives a poo poo about!"

I played the sequel for about fifteen minutes before putting in its case and trading it in. I had already given up after the opening spiel as told by a jittery crack addict.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The minions were annoying monkeycheese bullshit that should have been left out entirely, or made completely silent. Yes, they were basically Gremlins, but the comic was garbage and the less they included of it in the game the better.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

khwarezm posted:

The visuals on the Darkness 1 have not aged well, as does most 'photo-realistic' stuff after some time, and honestly I'm glad they tried to be more visually interesting.

It's aged better than most, and it had a good, creepy mood about it. The second one is just generic comic book garbage.

EDIT: Garbage garbage garbage Jesus effing Christ I need a thesaurus.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Anarchy Reigns is definitely a fun game, but it seems so lackluster compared to some of Platinum's other games. It lacks the "OH poo poo" moments of Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance; its boss fights are "meh" and the pseudo-open world gimmick gets old kinda quick.

Also, Rinrin and Black Baron died in Mad World, but they're playable in Anarchy Reigns, AND THAT RUINS MY IMMERSION.

We don't get ridiculed, we get ridda fools!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
World of Warcraft is a pretty neat way to spend excess time, but its playerbase is toxic as gently caress and I think after I do all the quests and dungeons I'm just going to quit again. The thought of sifting through the shitlord hordes for the few amiable people to qualify for the dubious privilege of slamming my face against Enlarged Mob Model #34, Raid Boss of Badguy Citadel makes me cringe so hard my skull crinkles.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Krinkle posted:

Also the previous head of the wizard guild was killed by a wizard so like right there he wasn't the best wizard.
I actually can't remember how you inherited his dead man's pointy shoes I just assumed a bad wizard did it.

This looks like a job for Archchancellor Ridcully!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Slime posted:

I would assume that the mages let someone who can't cast magic lead their guild because Skyrim doesn't like mages, it likes big buff dudes with huge swords. Then they can say "Hey viking dudes, look at us, we're mages but our leader is huge and buff and can kick all your asses. Mages rule."

Skyrim only accepts Muscle Wizards who prefer to cast "Fist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Leal posted:

iirc the way the Au Ra are designed is:

Females: Waifu material to appease to the Japanese playerbase who wants to play as innocent girls who they must protect

Males: Beefcakes to appease the testosterone filled American playerbase who have wish fulfillment fantasies of being big muscular men.

what about those of us that can't get off unless we can see the chiseled, sweat-glistened curve of an orcish buttock? checkmate, plebean