Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

moosecow333 posted:

Also, why did you wait until the end-game to give us the wing suit? That thing is sweet as hell and I would have loved to play with it for longer.
The wing suit was a lot of fun, but I broke the poo poo out of a few missions by flying past points you are supposed to walk to in order to progress the mission. At one point I had to reload a save file from an hour earlier because the game actually expected you to walk on the sides of a gorge, shooting the enemies from behind cover instead of flying through it all like a flying squirrel with a knife. I got to the file or whatever at the end and couldn't do anything with it. Turns out when you step on a certain spot, someone runs off with it or something.

I'm playing through Thief currently, and it's not bad. But I hate the hub city map. It looks like many places are connected that aren't, and you have to take a roundabout route that makes no sense unless you have memorized the boring, drab city. Also I hate the main character's costume. Corsets don't even look good on women, don't put one on a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Asking people to basically stop playing the open world driving game and hide in some bushes for a full minute is a really dumb decision when most people would rather have a short chase to lose a star.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Vrikkian posted:

Every FEAR game has been poo poo since the first one. They are making it into creepy mom rape, dead psychic murder brother Call of Duty.

First one was ace, though.

Then I'm glad I stopped after the first one. My thing bringing it down was that is was marketed as a horror game, but you're basically an invincible Kung fu super soldier who can slow down time to drop kick SWAT teams. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. But it's dumb that the game expects you to be scared of the little girl from the Ring.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

They also could've just let the player pause and have it pause the invader's game too, but make it so the invader can't pause the other player's game.

Like, seriously, that's an option. "The other player is paused you can wait or gently caress off to another game."

This is such a hilariously bad idea that I wish it was true. I would do nothing but constantly pause and unpause my game in the middle of fights to throw off invaders. I don't see what the big deal is about needing to pause Dark Souls. I leave it running all the time to do little things you guys are talking about like using the bathroom or letting the dog out. Enemies don't generally wander around the level, so you're perfectly safe to take Fido out for a few minutes. If you're scared about invaders, it takes about 10 seconds total to get to the main menu and back in your game.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

If you stress out letting someone or a package sit outside your front door for a minute, I'm not sure what to tell you. But I expect to see similar posts in the "post your favorite thing dragging showers down."

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Achievements in general bring down games for me. Having a pop up appear with a sound after a cutscene or in the middle of gameplay is incredibly annoying. I honestly don't understand why achievements are standard practice now instead of being made fun until they went away like the nGage. But then again I read posts like the above all the time about people who play games they don't like for dozens of hours to unlock achievements. I would absolutely put achievements in my lovely game if it would make spergs play my deserted multiplayer for hours in complete misery for no payoff other than a sarcastic virtual pat on the back. poo poo's funny.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I can honestly say I've never played a Zelda game and thought, "what practical purpose does this dungeon serve Hyrule's population?" That's like asking why goombas never evolved the ability to walk right. The best Zeldas are when it just embraces video game logic like that. That's why Link Between Worlds is the best Zelda since Wind Waker.

My latest little thing bringing Smash Bros down is Luigi's new final smash. His old one was weird and awesome. Using a vacuum cleaner is pretty lame by comparison.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

sforzacio posted:

What the gently caress.

That was the coolest thing I've ever seen. I need to pick this up immediately.

Good news! It's currently on sale on Steam for $5.99.

edit: And that's the tutorial level.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I've always leaned towards mouse and keyboard as the best controller ever, but investing in a 360 controller for my PC was a pretty great decision. So many games now are designed with it in mind, and you just plug it in and go. I was confused in a Metal Gear Rising video linked earlier when mouse button prompts popped up. Not sure why you would do that to yourself.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I just finished Spirit Tracks last night, so good timing on this discussion. It's the first Zelda where I didn't do every side quest. The overworld was a slog to get through and the combat controls are terrible. And most side quests involve plenty of one or the other. I did do the side quest to get my ballin engineer suit though.

Most boss fights seemed to take the bad controls into account, but the last boss fight was incredibly frustrating due to wonky stylus input.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

scarycave posted:

I think the main point of the rematches is to get some back-story on the asterisk users. At least, in one of the loops.
The rest is pretty much filler. Really hope they don't try to pull this poo poo in the sequel or I'll probably give it a pass.

If I'm remembering right, you can skip the loops after a certain point and go straight to endgame by not stopping when Airy tells you to stop purifying a crystal. I was all about that. The loops were boring.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes defaults in borderless windowed mode! That's good. It also seems to be hosed up since my task bar was vertically aligned the first time I loaded the game. That's bad. First time I've ever seen a game default to borderless windowed and I have to change it to fullscreen.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Once I realized I could spam the phase locket, Shovel Knight became so easy I still feel a little guilty about it. I should do another run without abusing it at some point.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Thoughtless posted:

So I'm playing World of Warcraft (because my boyfriend is away at work for a month) and I have a pretty dumb complaint. Leveling/questing is way, way too easy now. Like, I can run around the zones aggroing as many mobs as I feel like and not even be remotely close to dying. At least in the previous expansions of this I remember pulling multiple mobs was kinda risky. Now it's totally effortless.

I resubbed for the new expansion after a few years off and agree completely. You just wander through zones, demolishing everything in sight. I even tried to go to a higher level zone, and the game straight up wouldn't give me any quests to do. The enemies were literally one level above me. Whatever happened to quests above your level just showing up yellow or red in your quest log? I realize WoW has always been terrible, but holy poo poo.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Evil Within is my jam in a lot of ways, but I've died three times tonight because I keep trying to use an ax or a torch for an instant kill, and my guy decides his efforts are better spent kicking a nearby corpse.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

VATS is good because Fallouts are bad shooters.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Do not try to do every single sidequest as soon as they appear, you will burn out eventually.

Listen to this. I didn't even get through half the game before I was burned out and over leveled for anything to be fun anymore.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

There were useful teammates in the Saints Row games?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I'm replaying Dark Souls and just got to the Duke's a Archives. This is supposed to be Seath the Scaleless's labratory and library but he's a huge gently caress off dragon and everything here is man sized. How is he supposed to get inside? There aren't any dragon sized doors anywhere. Even if he got in how is he supposed to do research? The books would be the size of a postage stamp to him.

Real shoddy story telling Myazaki.

I always assumed whoever had the place before got murdered in some way, and the place was given to Seath. He was all like, "thanks for the Duke title and all, but I'm just going to hang out in the cave I can actually fit in to research crystals. In fact, I'll let my pig live in the foyer because gently caress you I can't use it I'm a dragon."

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Hey goons in Arkham Knight. Will you please shut the gently caress up for more than 10 seconds? I just want to glide in peace.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I think in an opening cut scene of Peace Walker, you can zoom in through her clothes and just keep the camera on her while she is standing around in her underwear. She's also 14 or something. That plus a terribly unfun tank fight made me quit Peace Walker in about an hour.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

Ugh this. I think that's literally the only place in the game where you do or even CAN jump. Is jump even part of the controls at all? Why the gently caress didn't they put a button prompt? To preserve the ~atmosphere~?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

The thing dragging down the rest of the Dragon Age series is only the first one lets you have a dog party member.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

DMC has a challenge room that reduces your HP to 1 for a fight and doesn't refill it after you're finished. Right after you finish the challenge room, you have to platform between floating rocks. Up until this point, there has been lava that shoots up between rocks every few seconds, so you have to time your jumps between lava bursts. However, the gaps between the rocks right after the challenge room didn't have any lava in them. I could see lava shoot up between rocks in the distance, so I figured I was in a safe zone. Nope. As soon as I jumped across the gap, Dante immediately lost all his health and fell to his death. I guess they forgot to animate lava for a quarter of the level.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

In Rise of the Tomb Raider, there is a constant clinking sound whenever you run. I guess it's supposed to be your pick axes clinking? It's annoying as hell, especially with headphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1JIrevyUlc

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider: They seem to have put a ton of work into Lara's face animations in cutscenes and barely any for all the other characters. It's made all the worse because the voice acting has generally been really good, so you get believable, emotional dialogue coming out of awkward, stiff-faced weirdos.

I'm playing this right now, and I'm going to have to disagree with the believable dialogue. Every conversation either has "your people" or "my people" in it at least a dozen times.

Fun game, though.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

The problem with the first FEAR is that you can't actually do this, contact with Alma is instantly fatal. :(

For real. They do such a good job of making you a kung fu action star, then expect you to turn tail when a little girl pops up. I bet nearly everyone died trying to kick her in the face at least once.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Overwatch is great and a lot of fun except for one thing:

They're behind us guys. Just turn around. No, around. Look there's just one and he's killed two of us just shoot him before he kills me the medic, no, jesus gently caress look behind you.

I swear to God nobody has peripheral vision when they play this game.

I play Mercy a lot with friends who are often in the same physical room as me. "Hey guys, a Genji is attacking me. Please turn around, a Genji is attacking me. I'm dead, a Genji is about to kill you." Happens so much.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Zahi posted:

So why not play one of the other healers and kill Genji yourself then, scrub?

I didn't know that was an option. Thanks for the ProTip!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Werong Bustope posted:

Yeah I've never really had an issue with the rain in BotW and I've played 100s of hours of it at this point. And I like the open world, compared to most open world games it feels very real and there's very few areas that don't have something of interest to stumble across, whether it's a shrine, little puzzle, random NPC, a great view etc. I guess it's just a taste thing, but it feels like a real and logical world to me and I like the way each town has its own architecture. I wish there were a couple more big population hubs, that's my only real issue with the map.

Since this is the things dragging games down thread, though, one thing that does annoy me is that you can't see the upgrade requirements for the outfits without talking to a fairy. There's hundreds of materials and when you have +10 articles of clothing it's hard to remember which frog/mineral/monster parts you're trying to save up and which you can flog for rupees. Actually, the game could really do with a note taking system of some kind so I don't have to have a piece of paper to hand whenever I want to upgrade my climbing boots or whatever.

Same. Reading a lot of the criticisms in the posts a ways above makes we wonder if I'm playing the same game as these guys, but I'm not going to argue with them since that's not what this thread is about.

I definitely don't love how fairies stop talking to you when you've upgraded the last piece of equipment you have items for. Tell me what else I need before diving back in your pool! Also the Shiekah tracker can be a little finicky.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

You can call them back up and they'll be like "well I can't upgrade anything for you but should I take a look anyway?"
You shouldn't have to. They're rude for ending the conversation early.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'm really bad at doors in Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Trying to read database entries in Black Flag is a nightmare if you read quickly. Who thought it was a good idea to have one-tenth of the screen have content and the rest of the screen just be fuzzy dots floating around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jl0JAkIyWQ

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Guac 1 ruled though?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

By giving you wide open areas and infinite dash, Owlboy seems to encourage moving around as quickly as possible. It's pretty lovely that there are sometimes hidden enemies or obstacles that look like background objects. If you want me to be more careful and slow, don't encourage me to zoom around 95% of the game.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

ilmucche posted:

The prince of persia reboot felt kind of fun, but quickly became what seemed like one string of quick time events into another. Then movement wasn't as fun as it felt like it should've been.

The movie tie in game is surprisingly better

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Witcher 3 is really good now that I've modded out durability and weight limits.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Hey Skellige people in Witcher 3. Your lovely boat I stole sunk when I ran over a floating 2x4. Maybe you aren't the seafaring power you think you are.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I don't know who these pokemon are in the new Smash Bros. Didn't they used to all yell their names when they popped out? I miss that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I played The Evil Within 2 using their first person view they patched in. It was pretty great.