Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
You shouldn’t care about Snow in any game. But lightning returns is cool. My little thing bringing it down is that some of the costumes are embarrassing to look at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Spoilers for the end of Stray and the beginning of Tears of the Kingdom: I beat Stray right before starting TotK It's a little weird that the end of one game and the beginning of the other feature a silent protagonist exploring the ruins of a dead civilization, where constructs are unnervingly continuing their functions without their creators. And also your guide is a dead guy from the lost civilization.

Come up with original ideas, video games

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I guess it's not really bringing it down. Zelda's going to Zelda, and the game is really fun so far. But it was really weird playing the games back to back and seeing the similarities

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Dead Space remake rules, but I hate how enemies won't take damage until they are done with certain intro animations

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

credburn posted:

Phasmophobia: This is a fun enough game, but the experience gain is a crawl. People tell me the game gets fun once you have the right equipment, and that I should join a server where they do gimmicky poo poo to exploit huge amounts of experience.

Why not just reduce the grind? Or give me "the right equipment" to start? I'm actually enjoying playing the game with my neighbor, we only play together so we're like 20 hours in and only level 13 -- we just got access to lighters! It seems kinda clear this game is really meant to be played with a full team, and with people who know things. We've avoided looking most things up other than what is provided by the game, and I'll tell you, it isn't enough.
Until recently, there were no tiers of equipment, and you had access to everything you could afford right off the bat. I can't imagine doing the grind to unlock all the best equipment and then prestiging back to nothing so you can have a number next to your name. I blame the developers listening to streamers and other people who don't play casually. The game's about to come out on consoles, and I want to play with some friends who don't play pc games. But I feel like I'll have to be present and sharing equipment at every single one of their games so they don't hate it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

The button that opens the map in Elden Ring doesn't also close it

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Alan Wake 2 is entirely too spooky for me who, as I age, 52 years young now, find that I am more and more afraid of the world

I started AW2 last night. Cool game so far. Except I have to play it through the Epic store, and the achievement notifications are terrible. They're incredibly obnoxious and not tied to the volume of the game, so during some tense moments I hear a "DA DING" at twice the volume of the game and get a huge cartoon pop up congratulating me on finding a grisly murder or something. And I don't think there's a good way to turn them off permanently.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

The bolt caster brings RE4 down. The game tricks you into thinking it's something you should use, while it rains ammo at you if you use real guns

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I just beat Alan Wake 2. I enjoyed it enough, but it’s pretty buggy.
I'm playing right now and got a bug where some collectibles just stay up the map after I've collected them. Really triggering my OCD.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Still playing Horizon Forbidden West and there’s just too much. Too much map, too many side quests, too many weapons with different damage types and different weapon skills and special abilities to use at different times. Too many different coils and weaves and side jobs and salvage contracts. It’s becoming exhausting.

9/10

I'm a few hours in and agree completely. Just too much stuff all the time. I'm probably going to spend 80 hours playing it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

You got to put levels in adaptability

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I think whoever added the glider to Horizon Forbidden West forgot to tell the rest of the development team. None of the platforming or exploring utilizes it. The cliffs still have repel points from the first game like I'm not just going to jump off and glide towards the next point of interest. I was just exploring a cave and Aloy said out loud, "maybe if i jump far enough, I can hookshot my way to that ledge." Then I proceeded to glide to the ledge

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Aloy giving the player hints out loud is the thing that turned me off the first horizon. I'll probably finish em both one day BC the story seems dope and a lot of the gameplay issues I have with them are kind of my issue rather than an endemic problem but it's incredibly immersion breaking for me to just have aloy think out loud about what I should be doing and imo shows a lack of faith in their game design

The lack of faith is warranted. The platforming is so bad in Forbidden West that I've skipped or sequence broke so much content. I've completed ruins that are marked "Upgrade Needed" by just wall jumping to obvious ledges and have explored the world map until I got a pop up that said, "If you go any farther, your game will load to the latest save," like the game is throwing its hands in the air at me. I recently got to an underwater area full of hostile machines, and there are all these ruins and flora on the floor that you have to navigate around. Aloy tells herself that she can hide in reeds and wait for patrols to swim by. But there's nothing stopping you from swimming 20 feet above them. From there, no machines can see you and there are zero obstacles in your way, so you can just beeline to the next objective. And when I got to the objective, apparently I was supposed to solve some kind of puzzle to get out of the water. But again, the platforming is really bad. I was out of the water by just pressing forward and jump before Aloy could explain to me that I was supposed to be doing a puzzle. I uploaded my clip below, not sure why half the video is frozen

https://i.imgur.com/PRS058h.mp4

It's a shame, because there are so many good things about this game. But I don't think I'm going to finish it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I played Foamstars with some friends when it was free. I actually liked the gameplay decently enough. But it was so half-baked. Even the skins you paid a good chunk of money for were mostly lazy palette swaps (though I imagine this has changed since then).

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

The Gongaga area in FF7 Rebirth is legit terrible. It has way too much verticality in a game that doesn't let you point your camera straight up. Platforming with mushrooms is a gamble every time. Are you going to jump five feet to the platform right in front of you that you want to get or fifty feet past it? There's nothing to let you know, so hopefully you can remember how to get back if you go flying past it. It also has a really annoying and repetitive theme. Which is odd, because the game has been nothing but bangers so far. Totally get why Zack left, at least.

And is Chadley the main character in this game? I swear he has more dialogue than the rest of the cast combined. I want that little weirdo to lose my number. I can't even look at cool rock without him calling me about it. Maybe Square knows that Sephiroth is not a threatening villain anymore. Everyone's beaten him so many times across so many games, so they're building up Chadley to be the real final boss. And it's really working for me. I really want to fight that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

the_steve posted:

Crisis Core Reunion.
I finally started getting into it since I figured it would help me appreciate some of the references in FF7Rebirth that I was spoiled on, and Jesus gently caress the encounter rate on enemies.

Every 5 steps it's "Initiating Combat Mode", which wouldn't be so bad except that every side mission has at least one treasure chest I wanna find in a dungeon map that has like 20 different rooms to explore, so I'm constantly having to detour which just triggers more random encounters and then it seems like 99% of the chest rewards aren't even worth it.

I also played this right before Rebirth. I noticed you can avoid most random encounters by hugging the wall as close as you can