Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I bought the Resident Evil 2&3 remake deal on Steam last week, and man, zombies reviving after you take them out was scary the first time, boring the second time, and just increasingly annoying the other five million times.

I finished the Leon campaign and didn't really enjoy it; is there any meaningful difference between Leon and Claire's? Does RE 3 have more interesting gameplay, or is it also a never-ending fetch quest for colour-coded keys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Thanks, that's a big help. I'll move on to RE3 and hope for the best!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Bussamove posted:

RE3 is much more of a linear game. There's looking around in areas for items to progress but each area is much smaller, there's nothing even close to the scope of RPD.

Claire's campaign hits the same main plot beats as Leon's but you'll encounter different things in different places, and it ties up different plot points. The most notable difference is fighting Birken in the labs as you escape instead of Mr. X. There's also one final playthrough to get the true ending, but if you didn't enjoy a single playthrough don't feel the need to slog through two more.
I'm three hours into RE3, and my god, it's infinitely better in every way. The environments are gorgeous and feel cinematic, there's a dodge button, there's no loving colour-coded keys... it's great. There's a constant escalation of threat, and the player goals are clearly communicated. I don't feel like the game is deliberately wasting my time.

Then I found myself back in that drat police station. I quit playing for the night at the entrance, but I had a very strong "oh gently caress off" reaction to seeing the lobby.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I think HZD ruined me for other open world games. I tried to get into AC Odyssey, and found the mechanics grating. There was no intuitive way to know why I can stealth-stab Generic Model A but not Generic Model A ( w/ hat ). HZD? It's a new kind of totally sweet robot, and Aloy needs to learn more about them ( represented by a skill point ).

With HZD, it felt like player skill was more important, and gameplay improvements primarily came from finding new weapons and ammo. I didn't have to endlessly pour gold over a sword to make it stab Generic Model A ( w/ shoes ).

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

I don’t know if I’m intended to have over 30 of each material in Prey but since the game capped my ability to make Neuromods I’ve only really needed to make shotgun shells and those are very cheap to make.
There are ways around that cap! You can cash in a neuromod mountain later.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Mamkute posted:

Horizon Forbidden West: Why would I repair my mount, which costs money, when I could just get another one?
This is clearly a commentary on consumerism and the dangers of planned obsolescence. Why repair when it's cheaper to replace? All part of Ted's thousand year plan, my friend.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

HenryEx posted:

I feel like there's some kind of reputational prejudice at play, like "Dark Souls is hard! Cause it doesn't help you at all!" so obviously you have to trial and error your way through even the most basic of functionalities, like menus. 'Cuz that's definitely a logical conclusion to make, somehow.
As someone who works in UX, that is an impressively hostile interface.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

What if - hear me out - we had a laser, right, and some mirrors that rotated? No, no, that's silly; it should be water going through curved pipes.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

watch a longplay and maybe buy the OST, don't actually play this
But man, what a great soundtrack.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

IV is a parody of Mass Effect, so all the 'romances' are dunking on that franchise.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

Are you getting real player invasions or just the AI? I feel like the game would be a nightmare for new players if it didn't have that breadcrumb system with real player antagonists, since you'd wind up getting merced constantly while just figuring out what's happening.
The player invasions are a terrible combination with a game without saves or checkpoints. A random invader could cost the player literal hours, and it's just not fun.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Let's not forget that to unlock one of the most important upgrades, you have to win a game of chess. Not a chess themed mini-game, a full goddamn game of chess start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I want to highlight this incredible walkthrough from IGN.

quote:

How to Solve the Delta Grove Chess Puzzle
Let's quickly run down the basics of chess. The goal of chess is technically quite simple: capture the player's King while protecting your own King. However, that's much easier said than done. Every piece on the board is able to eliminate other pieces, and the enemy team is looking to thin your ranks. You'll need to place pieces a few moves in advance, consider whether it's worth sacrificing pieces to get your opponent's pieces off the board and try to set up a checkmate, which occurs when the opponent's king cannot move without being taken during the next turn and must admit defeat.

Every different piece can only move in a certain way. Let's quickly run down each piece on this chessboard, what it does and what it looks like:

Pawn
Pawns (shown above) are your general grunts. They can move one tile forward per turn. If an enemy piece is placed on a tile diagonal to the pawn, they can take it off the board. The opponent must be in front of the pawn to be taken.

Rook
...[sic]

From here, you have to beat the AI. Try new strategies and keep going until you secure a checkmate. Once you are successful, the door northeast of the board will open, revealing the second Pocket Dimension inventory upgrade. Grab it, then return to exploring.
Some real loving 'then draw the rest of the owl' energy here.