Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Caphi posted:

Wantedness dragged Saints Row 3 down for me because I couldn't do anything fun without ending up dodging an army of helicopters and being chased back to a store.

That's what ruined Prototype for me. Yeah I could drop kick helicopters, but more would always spawn, and I can't get into a nice brawl with anything else because the helicopters would kill me. I was so happy when I did the mission to disable helicopters, and so disappointed when they came back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

sounds like it could be a fun metaphor for european explorers finding 'the new world' and acting like they own all that poo poo now despite the fact that other civilizations have already lived there for a long rear end time

but i take it andromeda's story isn't even that clever :v:

It's dumber than that. No, almost everywhere you go is someplace humans (or the other Milky Way aliens) have already been. Two of the major worlds you 'explore' are places that already have established colonies before you arrived. The other two are a world where the Andromeda aliens already live, and one where there were two failed Milky Way colonies.

The driving plot of the first half of the game, of course, is that the PC is literally the only person who can found new colonies, because of the computer powers you inherit from your Dad.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Here's your problem. You're playing a Tales game above Hard mode.

One of many things that bugs me about Berseria is that encounters are incredibly super-easy compared to bosses. So if I wanted encounters to be even vaguely threatening, I cranked the difficulty to whatever the highest was, and still wasn't bothered. But then a boss would basically stun and two-shot me. Or I'd just have no chance whatsoever with the random bosses that appear at the end of some random encounters.

I'm also still mad that in the ending Velvet doesn't just eat everybody. They're dumb jerks and they all deserve it.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Something that's bugged me in a bunch of JRPGs recently - making random encounters way too easy and basically pointless. In Tales of Berseria, random encounters are brain-dead-easy unless you up the difficulty to "mega-impossible" or whatever, which itself only unlocks after playing the game for a while, and even then I don't think they were that bad. Ni no kuni 2 was super easy as well. But then both had boss battles that were actually a decent challenge, as well as optional fights. Berseria had the added bonus that the optional boss fights were randomly added to normal encounters, so it's not like you can just slide the difficulty before and after each boss.

Easy random encounters might not be a problem if they still served to grind you down through a dungeon, but a lot of modern games let you carry as much healing as you like. Having to use 1-3 dirt cheap healing items to recover after a fight isn't much of a setback when you can buy and carry 99 at a time.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Good random enemy difficulty such as?

A game I played recently - Dragon Quest I. If enemies are too easy, you can and should go fight tougher, more rewarding enemies. Some enemies you want to fight immediately, some are tougher and you want to run away from them, at least as first. The most important part is that you aren't stuck fighting a dozen trivial encounters because they are literally blocking the path right in front of you. In Ni No Kuni II I think I could have put the controller down and the AI would have won most of the random encounters for me, but they're literally on the path forward and you can't avoid them.

DQI also has sharply limited healing, because you have a small number of herbs, and a limited amount of magic, and that's basically it. Run out and you need to get back to town. Enemies that are easy to kill might still be interesting to encounter depending on how much damage they can do to you before you're likely to win.

As a more recent example, I remember Lost Odyssey having a lot of random encounters that were reasonably challenging.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Dragon Quest XI had the most enjoyable horse I've recently played with. Most importantly, you can still gather materials and fight enemies on horseback. You gather faster, actually, because on a horse you don't need to wait for the mining or harvesting animations. The horse goes almost anywhere you can go, you can still fight anything you want to fight, and moving to maps where you can't take the horse is quick and automatic.

I want to use my horse in BOTW, but between the no climbing, no harvesting, and awkward fighting, it's just such a hassle.

Darksiders 3 is also a bummer horse-wise, because you don't even get a horse, despite being a horse(wo)man of the apocalypse.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

OK, Now I am done with Ni No Kuni 2's postgame - there is one final kingdom upgrade to get, it's a building that won't get to level 4 without a particular requirement, and that requirement is buying a DLC. That's RUDE. You do not mix DLC with the main campaign like that, you keep them distinct so that if someone doesn't want to buy the DLC they don't feel bullied into it with withheld main game content.

What. I was already mad at the last (I guess second last now) upgrade being hidden in the postgame.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

I am some hours into Pillars of Eternity, and OK I get that it might as well be Baldur's Gate 4: Pillars of Eternity, but everything seems so freaking bleak and miserable that I am really struggling to keep going. My dude is lvl 4, and about to hit 5, except that I just recently found that ranger NPC who basically is a clone of my character. I still miss a "thief" on my party, to put it in DND terms. So should I start over?

I felt the same way, but the game does get a lot less pointlessly tragic once you get into the second act in the giant city. You can help people, and it actually makes their lives better without anything backfiring, sometimes.

I remember the third act has more, like, dumb decisions. Like, I just never finished a quest because both ways of resolving it were dumb and I wanted to keep the baby.

Thieves are unnecessary, just have someone pump up mechanics.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

World Famous W posted:

Reaver from fable 2 and 3 is awful and I hate him and I hate I can't kill him even as a a godking

God, I hated that guy, but not half as much as the fact that you couldn't kill him. And not even for any good reason: you need him alive because of unexplained plot reasons, and you can't kill him because the game just didn't think to give you the option.

Kai Leng from Mass Effect 3 is a close contended, but you eventually get some catharsis by killing him. Jaden from Jedi Academy is pretty darn hate-able, but I think that was mostly deliberate, so choosing the dark side would be more understandable.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

God the challenge to get the Woodpecker attack in Aggelos is really frustratingly hard, but easier using the joycons. Stuck on this one room where you need to kill all the enemies by using them as platforms, bouncing along them in different ways like a Kaizo Mario romhack. I may just forgo it entirely, the reward isn't that good in the long run.

Yeah, that took me probably at least half an hour, and it was frustrating the entire time. It's one of those things where you know exactly what you need to do, but the inputs are finicky enough that it's hard and unsatisfying even when you pull it off. And then I never used that attack anyway.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I'm pretty sure most fishing minigame tutorials are somewhere between useless and lying to you. I can't remember the details for any of them, but they're all like "push the stick in the direction indicated by the fishing rod and hit the button prompts to reel it in". But they don't clarify that you need to push the stick as if you're trying to maintain tension, but only when the fish is tugging, otherwise you need to be mashing the button that's on-screen. Unless you need to keep the line slack, so it doesn't break, so you should push the exact opposite direction. Or maybe it's hold down the reel in button always, except when a prompt appears, which you should press once.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I've been playing My Time At Portia and trying not to spoil myself, but I gave up on trying to figure out cooking, and I'm glad I did because some of the recipes are just bizzare.

Fruit salad is salad sauce plus 2 fruits
Vegetable salad is is salad sauce plus 2 lettuce
Salad sauce is eggs and sugar
Shrimp and cheese on rice is 2 lobster, 1 milk, 1 rice, 1 sugar

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the ugliest or most obtrusive HUDs in game?

Nowadays modern games let you turn off elements individually or resize them, and there's no need to plaster "You picked up 10mm ammo" over the middle of the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bv45aPMGyI

I literally thought the first in-game screenshot I saw of Battleborn was a parody of ridiculously cluttered game HUDs.

Assassin's Creed is pretty bad too. Especially because you can customize it to get rid of stuff, but it's hard to tell if you're disabling something that will pop up every 30 seconds when you pick up your 181st stick for all your stick crafting, or every 30 minutes when an awesome new weapon is shoved into your pants with no in-game fanfare. Is the minimap a visual distraction, or the only way that the game tells you where your next objective is? (It's both).

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I picked up Monster Sanctuary, a sort of pokemon clone but with 3v3 battles. You have 6 available monster, choose 3 to be in-battle at any one time. Your monsters have stats, weapons, 3 accessories, 1-point-per-level skill trees - with 3 to 5 trees per monster - active skills, passive skills, elemental strengths and weaknesses (not divided into types, but one of each on a per-monster basis) equipment upgrades, mana (with all skills using mana , a per-turn mana regen, modified by literally everything listed, and it's important because you will start running short if you ignore it). Even if I knew what was optimal, it would be exhausting to optimize everything.

And all the equipment stats are mixed up, so any random new gear I get invites not just 18 comparisons of "is this better on this monster", but "does this cover one stat well enough that I should consider the 50 other gear pieces and 10 other weapons I have".

It doesn't really matter because the game has been easy so far, except every single battles gets graded from 1-5 and gives better rewards for doing it faster, smarter, and taking less damage - and grades give better rewards, including the chance of capturing new monsters, so it's really hard to not want to optimize everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Deus Ex 2 and Devil May Cry 2 both were worse than the first, and had better sequels.

I feel there were probably a bunch of games that made an awkward 2D-3D transition - Prince of Persia comes to mind if you consider Prince of Persia -> Prince of Persia 3D -> Sands of Time as part of the same franchise.