Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
In a lot of ways Rogue Legacy has the same basic ethos of Dark Souls. The sooner you accept death the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Dino DDay was an absolute ripoff. Was basically an untested, unbalanced HL mod masquerading as something as legit as L4D.

And c'mon y'all, the original Turok was fantastic (except for the jumping puzzles).

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

The game is very much so BL2.5. It really feels like a DLC that got a little too big, so they said gently caress it and made it a standalone game.

And I likes it a lot but cannot imagine playing that game alone. My brother and I duoed it in a few days over the holidays, and we basically had to take turns dying and Zerg rushing the last 3-4 bosses because they were impossible otherwise.

Also, probably 80% of all drops we had were pistols. I was the Lawbringer and he was Claptrap if that makes a difference. Either way, he wanted to snipe and support while I just charged in, and the absence of distance weapons really hurt our play through.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

I can see what they were trying to do, since giving enemies a bunch of different defences to get around makes it so you have to adjust your deck for the situation rather than just stuffing it full of all your max damage cards. But on the other hand yeah, it is unfun.

Yeah the game rapidly becomes near unplayable around level 10-12. At least in beta you were often better off with level 1 characters because then you could actually draw damage cards rather than tons of movement and armor.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I have similar feelings about Bastion and it's setting. An apocalypse is only an apocalypse if there was something to destroy. It's not enough to say something was destroyed, we have to have a frame of reference. And as Bastion starts, all we have is a promise that 'something happened' and that 'it wasn't anything like this'. We have no idea what was lost and what it means to lose everything, as far as the player is aware 'before' is just a black, empty slate. Especially when the farther you go along, the more apparent that the world is drastically different from ours. So as far as the player is aware, nothing was lost, the world is just a bunch of floating islands, and everyone is sad about it. The same effect would be made if in LotR we were told Middle Earth just went through cataclysmic changes due to end times. As far as we know, we missed one fantastical world just to see another, and we can't relate because everything is so alien to us, and yet is so familiar to them. The only glimpse of the world that was is in one of the endings, showing a world surprisingly similar to ours, where the kid works as manual labor even. To me, it was actually downright shocking when the entire time I was expecting a high fantasy world. Meanwhile, the other path just leads to the characters accepting the world as is, much like how the player has from moment one.

Like how someone said the writer cares for the characters a lot more than the player, the same goes for Bastion's and the setting.

You might not ever see the world pre-Bastion, but you get a good sense of what was lost. The music especially, as well as the community feeling the narrator talks about. It all felt like he was nostalgic for a blue collar existence that was snatched away, like those scenes in films when all the tired people from the factory get together, sing folk songs, and drink all weekend. You don't need to see that as the player, just know that someone (the narrator) misses it immensely.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Tyrannosaurus posted:

For those of you unfamiliar with college football, if you are coming out of high school and are talented but don't have the grades to get into a real university you'll typically enroll in what's called a "junior college." This gives you the opportunity to keep working out, keep playing football, and take a bunch of easy classes to get your GPA up to an acceptable level in order to transfer. Every year, in real life, Juco kids transfer into top tier programs and are immediate starters. Great athletes. Terrible students.

In NCAA 14 (RIP college football video games) you can recruit junior college transfers but they are all loving garbage. Unless you are coaching a lovely program and are desperately trying to fill a need then you have no reason to spend time recruiting those kids.

Man, sports games could have their own thread. One of my favorite sports games ever were the All Star Baseball games from 2003-5. They, unlike competitors, actually had real-to-life GM systems, including complex poo poo like the Rule 5 Draft and designating players for assignment. But, the drat thing was programmed so poorly I never made it longer than five years into a sim before something would crash the ps2.

Also, if you managed to get very far into the future, there were bugs where a few players wouldn't retire at all, resulting in poo poo like an F rated Randy Johnson still playing at age 57.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Not dragging it down but I find Bloodborne way harder than the other three Souls simply because I can't loving block.

Also complaining about controls for a souls game is ridiculous. They have the tightest controls of virtually any action rpg I've ever played.

joshtothemaxx has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Mar 26, 2015

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

A White Guy posted:

Stop being such a bitch and killinate some motherfuckers :getin:

Complaint about that game: The difficulty curve drops off ludicrously quickly. Early in the game, you have to sneak around because you'll die to a few orcs, and by the end of the game, ain't no thang to fight and kill 50 orcs at a whack.

Agreed. Once you get the ability to brand orcs it becomes ridiculously easy.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Yeah, M&M5 came out in 1993. And it looked pretty blah. Kind of cool fantasy art, but nothing special for PC gaming.

I know little joshtothemaxx hated it and kept playing MM2.

A screenshot of five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I play 2-3 competitive Overwatch games a night with my brother. Over half of them, we are teamed with some idiot coaching us on why we're all horrible players and people. We're about to give up on it, but it's still a polished and very fun game (sans the "community").