Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I find this topic funny with regards to the Final Fantasy VII Remake demo: They have a tutorial for Cloud's Punisher Mode. Its big feature is he slows down and does big AoE sweeps and automatically counters melee attacks. It does nothing to help you with ranged attacks or magic. The room you are locked in for this tutorial is nothing but grunts with guns. They occasionally will attack you with batons anyway, so it still works to show off the counter attack property, but it's funny to me that the "use this mode to hit hard in close range and counterattack in melee" tutorial is found in a room full of gun-havers.

I've also heard complaints about Snap Seeds in Sekiro and how they are introduced before Madame Butterfly. You are told they can dispel her illusions,
but they're actually very poor against her. You want to use them on other, completely different illusion-using enemies where they work better, but they are introduced before her fight and lots of people apparently got the impression you had to use them to beat her.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Mar 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BioEnchanted posted:

It reminds me of a neat tank game on steam called Helena the Third, basically a spiritual successor to Blaster Master, but it has really bad checkpointing halfway through the game. It wasn't so bad, but in the crystal cave levels you basically have ot get through the whole thing in one go or start right from the start, and it's a big area with no real ingame map.

This sounds made up just by the name alone.

*googles*

Welp.

Can you really call yourself a "metroidvania" if you're basically remaking a game that came out more than a decade before the term existed?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The PYF Little things thread reminded me of something: One of the most disappointing games I ever played was a Japanese Tactical RPG called Hoshigami. It was kind of a take on Final Fantasy Tactics, which I had been looking forward to because I wanted something like that, but it had extreme level scaling as well as forcing every character you hired to start at level 1. If even one character in your team got one level higher the rest, the entire enemy squad in your next mission would level up to match your new highest character, and your chances to hit might drop by as much as 50% and you'd start doing greatly reduced damage while taking far more. It also had an AP mechanic you were meant to manipulate to chain turns between your characters--I want to say it higher levels meant you got more turns more often but I can't remember for sure--and it had permadeath, so if you lost a squad member you had to either reset or go back to the training tower to train a new recruit from level 1, which could take a couple of hours. Oh, and you can die permanently in the training tower, too.

A review I read at the time said it was "hard for all the wrong reasons" and I feel like that's pretty accurate based on what I remember of my experience.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, it's like it was an early attempt at doing ~cuh-razy combos~ like what Disgaea games did later, but it's overly punishing and gimmicky and wears out its welcome super fast.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The weirdest thing to me is they redid all the portraits for the DS rerelease and the new art style looks worse to me. They apparently added more endings, which I guess is why they had to change the art style because they couldn't get that artist back to do the new scenes. They also added difficulty levels to the DS version, with the original PSX difficulty being Hard on the DS.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Also there should be a law where any game with character customization should allow you to recustomize your character while in the game.

Nioh 2 does that. Any time you are not in a mission, you can go back to your hut and completely change your appearance, including your gender.

Dragon Age 2 I remember obliged you to get a DLC for that feature, though I think it may have been free? The Black Emporium. They brought it back for Inquisition as well; can't change your apperance in the base game, but it's a free DLC.

Fallout 3 had it, but you had to unlock it by completing a quest that was meant to be more or less mid-game, though you could do it early. Fallout 4 lets you visit a plastic surgeon as soon as you get to Diamond City.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Mar 29, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Arguably Silent Hill 3 because you are the mother of god and you get an abortion.

Is the criteria "is actually a mom dealing with a daughter/son?" or are surrogate relationships on the table? I feel like Claire's side of RE2 has some mom-energy.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Mar 30, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Today I learned about Bound, a game where you play a pregnant mom.

edit: I know fighting games that have moms as playable characters, and I always like that. Later Mortal Kombat's Sonya Blade, King of Fighters' Vanessa, Soul Calibur's Sophitia, Street Fighter's C. Viper. It's hard to argue they're mom-games, though, because they're just part of (very) big rosters and their backstories are not focal points except for a handful of interstitials, a post-game taunt or a victory splash screen, maybe.

It's also kind of frustrating that there are some great mom characters in RPGs, like Grandia 3 and Last Remnant, but they aren't the primary character even if they are sometimes the best character, so those aren't mom-games, just games with playable moms.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Mar 30, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Joke answer: Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire. Play a female character and take on Hylea's challenge of responsible parenting as you bring your five-year-old adopted Orlan daughter with you on all your harrowing adventures and make sure she doesn't get gibbed by fireballs and dragons instead of leaving her on the boat with the old man who lets her drink ale when you're not around.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Mario and Luigi games are brother games

The Giana Sisters

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Len posted:

I feel like somehow angry nerds are why there aren't more games where you play as a mom figure. Something something sjw and liberal agendas and death threats.

Mom just needs to have a gatling gun or a buster cannon to silence the critics.

Make your game super mom-centric but give the angry nerds cool robot toys for their mom to use and they'll forget to complain. Basically, this

But in mom form.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

In Doom Eternal you can equip different skins but the wall climbing animations all default to the regular Praetor armor, and it's incredibly distracting now that I've noticed it

Are you sure? Because I've seen people do wall-climbing in the flaming and Doomicorn skins and they are definitely showing those skins.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Yep, I'm in the classic Doomguy skin (specifically the brown one) and it doesn't have massive gauntlets, just leather gloves

Huh. I wonder if it's just that skin.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Nuebot posted:

There's one specific enemy that's entire purpose is to be a bullet sponge. Sometimes they come back to life. Sometimes they don't. My friend thought his game was bugged and even showed me as one crawled around eating up almost all of his shotgun and grenade launcher ammo and just wouldn't die, and then as he left the room another one came back to life and ate him. Then in the next room there's a note that basically amounts to "lol yeah they be like that".

If it's the one I'm thinking of, that monster is pretty much "use the magnum on the head, one and done; use anything else, lol."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Playing the FF7 remake and one thing that annoys me is magic. Not really the casting of it, but the landing a hit with it. A lot of magic seems to have a delay where the effect appears and then a second or two later the actual damage happens.

Aero, for example, does wind damage. It is supposed to be used against things like drakes. But pretty consistently you cast the spell and the drake just darts away before the damage can actually happen. I suppose you are supposed to read the animations and know when they are locked in an animation and can't dodge, but that can be particularly tricky against flying targets as they will often flit off screen.

This dodging out of the way of magic does not seem to be something you can reliably do. If something was close enough to hurt you before a dodge, chances are good it probably still will after a dodge. This is a bit character dependent, though. Cloud has a huge dodge range while Barret has a short roll and Aerith a little hop. Seems better all around to hold block unless you know you should run from something.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The vipers were specifically made less human in XCOM 2 (originally they'd been used to make Thin Men), but that character in particular has the peculiar human quirk of hating other aliens because "I was born here, therefore I'm by definition not an alien, QED now back on your boat, space-born scum."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I always think of Gears of War and RAAM when i think of final bosses. RAAM and his loving bat swarm of death can eat an entire decades bag of poo poo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

Misread that as "Skeletor" and got really excited for a moment.

Considering loving Robocop is in MK now, give it time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

well, there was some incest, it was just accidental since neither polly or jason knew their great great grandfathers were brothers

Ah, the Iceland Dilemma.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You can't get any shade darker than "Vampire Thandie Newton".

This is me looking for a wife in Mount and Blade Bannerlord. Even the desert nation with the darkest dudes has almost entirely lily-white ladies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

I don't remember that from the first Borderlands. How did it work?

It's an invisible (I think?) XP track that goes up when you get kills that give XP. Leveling them up improves three things based on weapon type: damage and two other stats like accuracy, stability, reload speed or rate of fire. If you main a weapon you probably beat the game with proficiency in the teens or early 20s, IIRC, but it goes to 50.

It was mostly insanely boring.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Leal posted:

More games should do what Onimusha did where if you died enough times it unlocked the easy mode cause clearly you need it.

I don't mind if they unlock easy mode, but I do if they keep saying "Do you want to switch to easy mode" every time you die and make it easy to button mash your way into that while you're trying to restart and then also it's a one way trip and you can't raise the difficulty back without restarting.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 21:59 on May 20, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Nowadays with the DLC characters like Zaeed and Kasumi averaged in it's basically impossible to get anyone killed on that section if they're loyal.

In my attempt to make a run where the maximum number of companions died and Shepard still lived, I sabotaged everyone's loyalty mission except, I think, Jacob. This way Miranda would die after the final battle if I took her in. It also meant that when it came time for the Hold the Line segement, Shepard gave his speech with Miranda and Jacob standing beside him to a crowd of...Zaeed. Just Zaeed, pissed that I hosed up his revenge. Zaeed turned to face the onslaught on his own while Shepard floated away to face the Human Reaper Baby.

And Zaeed loving lived.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Tunicate posted:

I hate it when game developers do lazy shoutouts to better games, like when Obsidian copied Undertale's gimmick of naming characters after fonts and has you play as Courier New Vegas

I like this post, especially since I am playing Tales of Two Wastelands right this moment.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My thing dragging DragDog down was trying to beat the final boss of BitterBlack Isle as a Warrior. I loved the class most of the game, but the true form of the final boss is almost entirely airborne--even dragons for the most part will spend part of the battle scrapping on the ground-- and he has moves that make it difficult to hit him with a primarily ground based Class. Not to mention that if you are staying close to him like a melee class would, he has moves that are basically instant kills, especially for pawns you might have helping you. It is best to engage him from range and very, very quickly, neither of which it's something a warrior can really do. After struggling to defeat him as a warrior for far too long, I class swapped into Ranger, got a bunch of explosive arrows, popped some conquerors periapts and very nearly exploded him in one stamina bar with the arrow flurry.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 04:52 on May 26, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That would be a pretty good fix, yeah (and possibly even lore appropriate?)--have the D-pad not be used to (just) give Pawns commands, but to swap between the Arisen and any of the assigned pawns as needed. Kind of like the FF7 remake has you mostly playing one leader character for a given section but you can swap around in fights.

Up - Arisen
Down - Main Pawn
Left - Guest Pawn #1
Right - Guest Pawn #2

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I think it's Utilitarian that's good at picking out weak points and exploiting them?

But yeah, Dragon's Dogma but instead of just getting my friend's pawns I can actually pal around with my friends would aces.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I mean that isn't too different from the base game if you want to engage with settlement building and crafting. Coffee cups have ceramics, fans have wires and springs, etc, etc.

I am reminded that in Fallout 3, the radiant AI will tell you to "be more careful" when you step on random debris... in a wasteland cityscape choked with random debris.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Don't forget the mandatory long neck and pointy nose in the character creator. It's impossible to not make Meryl Streep with a glandular problem.

Also the sound you make when running barefoot is the worst thing in the world.

The base character model for Elden Ring will just be a goose.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I have over two hundred hours in oblivion, and I've yet to deliver the amulet to jauffre. I don't know if that's a point in the games favor or not.

I have skyrim on Xbox and PC and played about as long and never even bothered to go to the Throat of the World to see the Greybeards. Usually by the time I'd bother I'm bored enough to make a new character to try some other gimmick.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It's annoying to me how Fallout 4's game play is mostly "gently caress around, do whatever, make a farm, who gives a poo poo" but the story makes it out like you never once paused in your dogged pursuit of your baby's kidnapper. The story acts like it has inertia and emotion of a structured and deliberate cinematic narrative when it doesn't. Match your story to your game, Bethesda!

Bethesda has published games that have had "save your baby" plots like Dishonored and Evil Within 2 where that plot works better because the gameplay can serve its purposes, and the games themselves have better direction. Bethesda-made games are almost devoid of direction.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Jun 24, 2020

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I mean the DC ruins are a nightmare to navigate and I hate listening to Three Dog, so frankly I'm glad that their poor planning means I can leave hinm under siege by super mutant for eternity where I can't hear him.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Spek posted:

Just after praising Pillars of Eternity for having a decent enchanting system that helped to sidestep the issue of your preferred weapon type being under represented in the loot I started the sequel which removed that and I didn't know that until after I'd picked the fighter subclass that dedicates itself to a specific weapon. Damnit.

Yeah, I liked that feature, but there was a lot of demand to make crafting and weapons more meaningful, and so each enchant-able item having its own specific upgrade tree was what they went for.

Which weapon did you go for? I made a Fighter Devoted to Poleax and there's only, like, two of those, but both are cool and good so I wasn't bothered once I found them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Spek posted:

Staffs. Most of the unique Staves in PoE1 were pretty caster-centric, and the soul bound one could only be used by casters and monks iirc, so I've not got high hope I'll find anything neat for a melee bruiser type. I'll probably restart with a different character. I haven't made it off newbie island yet so it's not a huge deal.

Yeah, I think the best choice there might be the Street Sweeper and go around laying down Confusion and removing postive buffs on anyone you whack with it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

You know all this talk of crafting late game weapons reminds me that I kind of hate when a game makes the best equipment the stuff you craft yourself. The worst offenders are Skyrim and Witcher 3.

Like every single weapon or armor piece you pick up in those games is junk because it's completely outclassed by what you can craft at any point in the game. Why even bother with loot in the first place.

Dragon Age Inquisition lets you craft weapons and while you don't have to in order to beat the game, if you do the stuff you craft wildly outclasses anything you find in the wild. It's not remotely close. I remember unlocking a tower in a frozen wasteland of Red Templar atrocities and demon animals after completing a quest and after getting to the top I found an epic axe that did less than half the DPS of the axe I had made ages before.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Van Kraken posted:

Oh, I mean Nic Cage cage who is part Italian. I’m just sort of assuming here that Lovecraft considered Italians subhuman, which seems reasonable for what we know about him

The creepiest thing about the story Cool Air--a story about a doctor who melts at room temperature--is the narrator's description of his hispanic landlady.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Twitch posted:

The twist at the end of Medusa's Coil was racist in a way that's bordering on self-parody.

I hadn't read this so I went to take a look and holy lol.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

How do people play Skyrim without inevitably becoming a stealth-archer who soul traps their horse all day?

Now I'm bummed when I realize the beautiful music is composed by a creep.

Mostly by hitting anything and everything with a big enough hammer.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It never breaks for good but it will wear out and then has a cooldown before you can use it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Robert J. Omb posted:

Remnant: From the Ashes started off well. Then a huge difficulty spike happened in the second area which completely put me off.

Honestly my friends and i found the earliest levels, particularly the first bosses, to be the hardest part of the game.