Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, that last boss really drags the game down. It needed to either not exist, or be beatable in a wider variety of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Nuebot posted:

That's JRPG maps in general and I'll never get why people still cry about how most modern JRPGs don't have huge overworld maps anymore. Even genre darlings like FFVI had jack all going on in the map, most of it just being empty forests, fields and mountains you're going to fly right over while heading for your next destination.

Well you only fly over it once you get the airship. Prior to that the further it is to your destination the more random battles you'll encounter, so distance equates to difficulty.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I got lucky my first ever fight against Father Gascione. I used up all my healing and bullets against his first form, but when he transformed he was on the stairs and couldn't/wouldn't either jump the railing or take the long way down to me. He just kept lunging impotently at me through the railing. I whipped him to death like a coward.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

When you approach Lavos in Chronotrigger there's a gauntlet where you face most of the bosses you've face previously in the game in a row before entering Lavos itself for the final battle. It's a really cool idea, except they didn't level the bosses up to match your endgame power level, so they all die instantly like chumps. This turns what should have been an amazing set piece into a 5 minute nuisance.

It's irrelevant because everybody just crashes Epoch through Lavos's shell anyway, but still.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jeesis posted:

This is the superior steam dating sim anyway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatoful_Boyfriend
http://store.steampowered.com/app/310080/Hatoful_Boyfriend/
It also has a bunch of DLC to keep u happy with burds.

This is currently free this month for PlayStation Plus members.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Nuebot posted:

So I started playing Axiom Verge and it's pretty good, I'm having a lot of fun. Then there's this loving scorpion boss.

Every boss in Axiom Verge is the worst thing about Axiom Verge. It's obviously a weak spot in the designer's creativity.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

maou shoujo posted:

You can hit the shield guys consistently. If you jump and attack at the same time, hitting them at an angle while falling (not with a downstab), then you will virtually always connect.

Pro strats here. Git gud, newbs!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

People may have whined about Raiden but it surpassed the original MGS in pretty much every way.

No loving way. The plot was stupider, the set pieces and boss fights were less interesting or memorable, and yeah, the main character was worse. Also the villains were President Doctor Octopus, artificial intelligence that spontaneously evolved in the basement of the Whitehouse, and a guy with a haunted hand.

The game was stupid as gently caress and sucked rear end.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Leal posted:

Incest is such a thing in japan that even adopted siblings want to get in on the fad.

Game of Thrones ain't Japanese, so Western culture ain't exactly innocent either.

Edit: Should've hit F5. Guess there's lots of examples.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I bought Witcher 3 yesterday, met a hot herbalist, and the internet says I can't bang her. What the gently caress? What kind of poo poo game is this?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

people you don't want to bang

I don't understand what this is.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Man, just hit my second werewolf in Witcher 3. Who the gently caress though "enemy that regenerates faster than any reasonable DPS at the level the quest claims to be for can put out" was a reasonable loving design choice? I'm using all the things the bestiary claims it's weak to, and this thing's literally unkillable. It's not tactically interesting or a skill challenge; my weapons can do X damage and he regenerates 1.5X. I'm about to rage uninstall the game.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm level 9, and it's a level 6 story quest. From some Googling it seems I'm not alone in this rear end in a top hat being incorrectly difficult. I was using a level 5 silver sword. I ended up save scumming a blacksmith until he had a level 9 silver sword in stock, and that did the trick.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Are crossdressers LGBT?

Correlation, not causation. The clothes you wear obviously don't affect your sexual preferences, but LGBT people are far more likely to crossdress.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Inco posted:

I hate playing shooters on consoles because of the twin sticks. Aiming with the stick is always so fiddly and imprecise, and it always feels like I'm just putting as many bullets as possible in the general direction of the enemy and hoping for the best. The one exception is with gyroscopic aiming, which feels very nice and is easy to use.

I prefer twin sticks to keyboard and mouse. Fight me.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Inco posted:

Why? It works for you, so go buckwild. Have fun.

No, you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to talk about "console peasant" and "PC master race" and have a meltdown.

Try again, please.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The best way to play Hearthstone is to uninstall it and play Gwent instead.

Although Gwent isn't on mobile, which drags it down.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

FeastForCows posted:

I don't remember having any kind of trouble with this part in Witcher 3, but you have awoken some long forgotten memory of the Mafia racing course bit that I had successfully suppressed until now.

I beat every race in Witcher 3 by galloping ahead at the beginning and then just body blocking forever.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A flaw with Witcher 3 is that no matter how complex you set your character for combat, you can just be a higher level than the enemy and steam-roll the opposition.

There's a setting in the options that levels up all enemies below you.

Vic posted:

gently caress issun.

How dare you!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://youtu.be/94Y3vh84FMw

It looks easy in this video, but the physics in the jump at 1:40 are really hosed up and you have to be basically pixel perfect. Jump too soon and Mario hits the spinning platform like a wall, gets stunned, and dies. Too late and you don't have time to get to the end and make the jump to the ledge, and you die. It just took me 23 loving tries, and completely ruined the big fun set piece that comes immediately afterwards.

Yes, it's a fresh pain, and yes, I'm salty.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

bewilderment posted:

I don't even own a Switch I just know about this game from random videos but can't you just do the thing where you throw your hat and then jump on the hat to make a longer jump?

Actually, that's more of a legit complaint that isn't just me bitching over a jump I couldn't get for some reason. If you throw your hat using the Y button you can hold it to have the hat stay out and do a high jump, and if you throw the hat by wiggling the controller you can make it home in on enemies. But, there's no way to make the hat stay out if you use the motion control setting, and no way to have it home in on enemies if use the button push setting.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The more I read about the other souls games the happier I am I've only played Bloodborne.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Holy poo poo I just got this pun.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

They are? I don't think I ever lost a single one. Were you playing on a higher difficulty?

They're hard until you figure out "hold block, sidestep, punch two or three times, repeat" wins every time.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

Why won’t blood borne just get a goddamn pc release so I can play it???

Just but a PS4 already.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Picked up an old copy of Madden 2106 for 5 bucks

I know this is proooooobably a typo, but just in case, what's the 22nd century like? Did polar bears make it?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Len posted:

A Madden set in the dystopian future would be pretty sweet. How come we hardly ever get sport games like that? We get shoot man games set in the grim future all the time

The original PlayStation had a game that was basically 2 V 2 basketball, with a whole bunch of different alien races and robots and whatnot. I remember that the campaign mode was actually super cool because you can bribe the other team's players.

I can't remember what it was called, though.

Edit: Pitball!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I don't understand the point here. You let go and jumped when the leg was moving, lost your balance, and fell. Turns out missing a jump in a platformer is bad.

Or am I missing something else?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Also, it was more like a 10 foot fall, and it was directly onto his head. Necks break, yo.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Morpheus posted:

True body ragdolling physics, finally!

You're the one who brought up real world physics so maybe make up your mind what your argument is? :shrug:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Also apparently on Columbia you can buy magic remote date rape drugs that also make your victim kill themselves. That's totally not weird at all.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Poulpe posted:

All of the "I walk faster" movement abilities, Witch Doctor, Necro, and I think Crusader?
They got the short stick in a big way.

The Crusader summons a giant flaming horse, so you are very wrong.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

Final Fantasy XIV is probably the only good traditional MMO that came out post World of Warcraft.

The recent City of Heroes nostalgia party in the "favorite things in games" thread disagrees with you.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Samuringa posted:

I haven't played Twin Snakes but I doubt it can be any more In Your Face than MGS 2 and 3

Compared to the rest of the games MGS1 is a realistic Tom Clancy novel.

Some of us prefer our crazy slightly less batshit.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

At least it had butt-stomping.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Literally the only reason I bought a GameCube.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Just did the fight with the Vampires in Illusion of Gaia. Preferred it immensely to the first boss, who I died to a bunch of times simply because the game gives you no room to move to dodge the sheer amount of poo poo flying your way. The vampires at least often ended up on the same tile and both taking hits at once. They died fairly quickly.

I don't know what kind of bizarro universe you live in. They're generally considered the hardest boss in the game, and a huge bounce point for people.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, the penultimate scene where you have to protect your family is great, and then they follow it up with "make my monster grooooooow" and it's the shittest thing ever.

Actually, climbing the spinning blade pillars in the underworld was shittier, but still.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

"his dislike of the Metroid Prime games" and "the failure of the Metroid Prime games" are not synonymous.

Crazy shitheads often dislike good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I still don't get it. Prime features Samus as a tough, highly competent, driven woman

And that's what he didn't like. He wanted a pathetic, weak girl who obeyed what a man told her to do, apparently.