Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Transistor froze and wiped my save when I force quit. I restarted and the game froze in the very same place it did the first time I played (exiting the Goldwalk Channel into Goldwalk Plaza). I'm wary about playing further as is because it's likely that it'll eat another save when it freezes at the other points it has already. I'll wait on a patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

kazil posted:

Oh my sweet summer child. Just wait until all the bullshit bosses after the wall of flesh.

Hardmode is coming.

I have never beat any of the bosses in Hardmode, and I've played almost 250 hours of Terraria. gently caress those assholes.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

I really want to like Dark Souls II, but there are so many annoying little things dragging it down. I think the worst one of all might be Agility. In the original Dark Souls, you could roll at three different speeds based on your equip weight, with the faster rolls having more generous invincibility frames. In DS2, there are two speeds, and the limit for the faster one is pretty generous (which I like), but the number of iframes you get is now based on your Agility, which is increased by putting points into Adaptability and Attunement. Which basically means your roll will be completely useless for dodging attacks until you sink 20 points into a stat that does basically nothing else (or 40 points into a stat that increases your spell slots).

Oh, so that's why the roll is completely useless. That's just excellent. I stopped playing because of a combination of the roll being utter poo poo, and getting oneshot by everything because my max HP is now half of what it's supposed to be. I can't get anywhere and it's bullshit.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Jose posted:

Using a small white soapstone lets you co-op for 5 minutes or so and come back as a human. No need to do a boss

Is the online better this time around? Last time I tried to do anything online in DaS1, everyone just teleported around constantly and then I fell over dead. My ping also likes to randomly shoot up to 500ms and hover there for minutes at a time.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Alouicious posted:

There is a sharp moral difference between playing a common criminal and playing what is essentially the futuristic version of the paramilitary groups paid by Coca Cola to massacre South American workers seeking unionization.

Dude, it's just a video game, it doesn't necessarily reflect on the person as a whole

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Lost Planet only had 360 input pictures, and no way to check or change the bindings. Tab was switch weapons, and the number keys were the menu screens. It was impossible to play without trial-and-error and a cheat sheet.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I started playing Max Payne 3 the other day and stopped playing Max Payne 3 somewhere towards the end of the second level. The cutscenes go on forever and are not written well enough to justify it, movement feels annoyingly fiddly , I was getting used to the Epic Slo-Mo and then it put me in a helicopter and made me shoot a million bad guys at a weird angle so it was hard to tell where my bullets were going. I'll give it another shot soon because I've heard it's great over and over, but it sure doesn't make a great first impression.

Yeah, I had a lot of problems with the game as well, and everyone I talked to said to ignore the cover and just slow-mo dive shoot everyone. If the best course of action is to ignore the cover, why is it even an option in the game? Then I got to a part where some guy in ridiculous body armour with an implausible minigun shoots me to death through cover, and I beat my head against that fucker for 30 minutes before uninstalling the game.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I don't understand the point of this game. I played for about an hour, and it was really easy to lose track of time just dragging different things into the fire, but once I stopped playing and looked back at it I realised I hadn't actually been having fun, and I couldn't see any reason to ever play again.

It's kind of like Cookie Clicker, where you burn things to get coins to buy things to burn, but once you burn everything, the game ends. It's supposed to be one of those artsy games, I guess? It's mostly just an idle timewaster.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I remember getting cajoled into getting to the bank level after getting stuck on the docks for a long while, but then some invulnerable rear end in a top hat with a minigun absolutely destroyed me for a solid half-hour. Life's too short to play bullshit video games.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm so glad that they dumped the franchise on Ubisoft, the core concept of getting to gently caress around in big exotic jungles with tons of guns is a lot more fun without Crytek's fetish for crowbarring unfun superscience monsters into every game they make.

Far Cry 2 got tedious fast, though, with the constantly respawning checkpoints filled with enemies who will follow you to the end of the goddamn earth if you look at them funny. I never played more than a few hours of it because I would inevitably get tired of clearing the same checkpoints over and over. It's a shame; it had a lot of promise, but the core gameplay was really samey.

Far Cry 3 was good, and Blood Dragon was even better, so I'm still happy they got it.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I've been playing with the SPERG mod and it adds so many little quality of life improvements. You can melt down equipment for crafting materials, the perk system's been reworked so most perks benefit your character in general instead of that specific tree, plus you can reset them at any time.

SPERG is really great. The speech tree is actually useful now because there's a set of perks that affect the strength and cooldowns of your Shouts, so there's actually a reason to bother with it. The only problem I have with it so far is that the "Bullettime" Block perk is completely hosed and should be avoided at all costs.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I picked up Wonderful 101 the other day. I apparently made the second level unwinnable because I bought Unite Spring instead of Unite Guts, and couldn't reflect an enemy's projectiles back at it to damage it. At least you don't lose any money on a game over, so I could buy the move I needed for the second time around. There's a lot of moments where I've had to run around an arena for a while trying to find the one mook who's decided to go play hide and go seek in some corner behind a building. There's been a lot of times where the path forward isn't apparent, making me wander around some more. I'm stuck on the boss of the first level because the game wants me to build something in the eyesocket of not-King Ghidorah, but whenever I try to do it, nothing happens.

I want to like this game, because the parts where I'm beating up guys is fun as hell, but there are just way too many points where I'm wandering around because someone really sucks at conveyance.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Wonderful 101's "switch playview to Gamepad when indoors" was cute when they did it the first couple of times, but gently caress the designer who thought combat in the Gamepad view was a good idea. I'm using the Pro Controller, and my audio is being supplied by the Gamepad, so I'm forced to use the Picture-in-Picture mode. It's not too terrible, because I can dismiss the PiP view, and the PiP controls only take up a small portion of the main screen.

In this combat zone, however, you have to either play on one-sixth of the main screen, or a lovely-looking 6x blown up version. You're entirely at the mercy of the uncontrollable camera, because the camera controls in the "indoors" sections are tied to the Gamepad's gyroscopes. The Gamepad controls are completely locked in Pro Controller mode, so I can't just grab that and use it. I also can't open the menu, so I can't change the Gamepad to the active controller. Also, you're on a time limit in a maze with tiny tiny corridors and floor hazards.

Obviously, the best course of action is to switch to the Gamepad, but the indoor sections are still terrible because the gyroscopes are the only way to control the camera. In every other game I've seen use them, the gyroscopes are used for fine-tuning, while the right stick can move the camera faster and the player can change view without having to stand up and spin around.

Inco has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Aug 12, 2014

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Huh, I always thought Star Control 2 was a 4X game or something. What the heck game was I thinking of?

edit: Oh, I think it might have been the original GalCiv.

Inco has a new favorite as of 15:51 on Oct 25, 2014

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Fishing is boring and annoying in real life, so I don't get why developers keep putting it in their games. I don't understand the rationale behind completely breaking the flow of a game for garbage. This applies to any lovely minigame segment, but fishing is always the worst.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

I wish Mario Kart games would start doing more with Grand Prix mode. Mirror Mode is kind of a pointless extra by this point because it's not actually any harder than 150cc.

I'm not sure what I'd like to see, exactly, but by this point Mirror Mode just reads as :effort: and I kinda wish there was more to it.

Mirror mode was only good when the track was Toad's Turnpike so the race was into oncoming traffic.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Jade Empire is pretty good, but the camera is absolute dogshit. Unless you stay in the dead centre of every arena, the camera is liable to clip into the wall or zoom in on the back of the character's head. The worst arena for this is in the Necropolis, where you have to fight this dead emperor rear end in a top hat who has an unblockable and undodgeable attack that has a range that covers the entire arena and steals both health and chi, recovering his own, and he seems to use this attack almost exclusively. He also doesn't get stunned easily, is immune to weapon and magic styles, and has an entourage of three of the most annoying enemies in the game so far.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Anatharon posted:

I don't actually remember anything about that in MGR:R.

It was probably all in Codec calls, which you could be forgiven for never seeing because they're completely optional, somewhat lengthy, very numerous, and they trash the game's flow. I've never bothered listening to them outside of a couple from the first level, because that's valuable time I could be using slicing mooks in half and harvesting their cyborg spinal fluids.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Holy poo poo, the controls in Metal Gear Solid are really loving bad. Punching people is the most awkward thing because you'll somehow punch past them half the time, or you're not quite in the right spot/not facing the right direction and miss completely. The Grey Fox fight sucked. It didn't suck half as much as the Sniper Wolf fight, which I'm certain I'll never beat because the sniper controls are the worst controls I've ever seen. The crosshair shakes like Michael J. Fox in the midst of a 4-day bender, and in the most nauseating way, and the camera moves painfully slowly until it suddenly rockets way past the target. It's impossible to control.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Is there something special I have to do? I tried to use it, but nothing happened when I hit the action button with it equipped.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Yeah, okay, I got it to work now. The shaking's gone, but I still can't hit her because the crosshair is slow as poo poo until it moves uncontrollably fast, so it's really easy to overshoot, and I don't have enough time to correct it before she shoots me. It's frustrating as hell.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Len posted:

First fight or second? Because if the second it's way easier to use Nikita Missiles.

You can use stingers for the first but I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to have them there and only get them if you cheat but I might be remembering wrong.

First one. Nikita missiles are greyed out. Don't have stingers.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Do you have the infrared/night vision goggles (can't remember what they're called)? that makes spotting her a loooot easier.

Spotting her wasn't the problem; her breath gives her away well enough. The problem is whenever she moves, it takes me about 7 seconds to get the crosshair centred, within which time she usually shoots me.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

on normal mode this means that rather than die your health will fully recover automatically 10 times before you die for real so even the final boss isn't too bad.

Unless Sam pasted you and you enter the final area with no nanopaste at all, which is a very real possibility. It's the reason why my hard mode run has stalled out, I can't even get to Excelsus because I'm completely out of paste.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Sequence is an interesting kind of RPG/Stepmania hybrid, but my controller is ill-suited for the game, and it doesn't appear to have customizable keyboard controls, or even a keyboard control reference at all. All in-game prompts are given in Xinput commands.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Fighting the Metal Gear RAYs in MGS2 is like setting up 5 separate copies of Zelda and then having them all make the "low health" siren. The constant beeping is absolutely maddening.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Iirc that quest either doesn't have a marker or the terrain makes it very hard to see.

It didn't have a marker when I bitched about it earlier in the thread, and there was a kid fishing off the pier next to the old man. Those two are what caused me to spend 30 minutes fishing in the wrong spot.

fishing is still boring btw

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with MGS3, but one thing I'm not a fan of is the new survival viewer. It's rather cumbersome to use and inventory management is not fun. If something is not in my immediate inventory, I tend to forget about it, so I'll die/waste a bunch of pistol ammo because I forgot the shotgun or assault rifle was in my backpack.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This doesn't really drag any games down but a pet peeve of mine is dumb loading screen messages. Very often they don't consider context at all which leads to some really stupid combinations. Others have useful information that isn't communicated anywhere else in the game, but that might not actually end up randomly showing up on a loading screen until you're two-thirds of the way through the game.

More games need an Uncle Sheogorath mod.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I have Peacewalker but haven't played it yet as it was released after 4. They got rid of stuff like being able to easily walk silently, now you have to barely push the analogue stick which is irritating for long periods of time. I'm not saying the new controls are bad just that the past 3 games got you insanely used to their terrible old style.

What? It's easier than ever to walk silently in MGS 4 because of the crouch walk. I'm in the same boat you are, having played through the first 4 games in the past month, and MGS 4 is the best controlling one. It's Peace Walker that gets rid of being able to walk silently, even in the MGS4 control type.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I assumed that it would be silent but right at the start some dickhead keeps hearing me, and I don't have my dart gun yet. I'm on Big Boss Hard so maybe enemies hear better? Or maybe I am retardo and he saw me from a distance and then investigated. P sure he mentioned footsteps though.

Maybe he saw your footprints? If you need to be quieter, you can go prone, or walk along a wall. Also, you should have a knife that has a knockout secondary fire. I only played on Liquid Medium, I think, whatever one is just above Big Boss Hard.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Far Cry 4 has a lot of mechanics, and sometimes these mechanics can interact in ways that totally gently caress up whatever the player was doing for the past half hour.

One of the skill trees has a perk that allows non-stop running. A prerequisite perk lowers falling damage, but to unlock the prerequisite, you need to liberate two outposts undetected. Once you get past the opening cul-de-sac, this becomes more difficult as more enemy types are introduced. That's fine, just have to be more methodical.

So I've hosed up liberating a few undetected, and I was just about to finish the second undetected outpost. The last guy is not far away from a shack, so I climb on the shack, run and jump at him to take him down from above.

Except right before I take him out, Ajay pops his wingsuit because I guess I held shift for a split second too long. I hit the ground and lose half my health, the guy notices me and shoots me. At this point I'm thinking of just giving up on those two skills and liberating every outpost in a hail of bullets and grenades.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

MindlessHavok posted:

Every outpost has a high hill next to it. Get a silence sniper rifle, take out the alarms then take out the soldiers. Even if you don't like being sneaky like that it's the easiest way to take them undetected.

This is what I ended up doing, I just had to unlock the second rifle. The SVD cannot accommodate a silencer.

The other thing dragging Far Cry 4 down is that the high-mountain Blood Ruby mission has a major performance hit. I'm running a rig with an i5-4650 @ 3.5GHz, 8GB of RAM, and a GTX 970, and the game runs really well, except in the Himalayan section.

Inco has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Feb 21, 2015

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Tiggum posted:

because the character (as written) does that, and it makes sense.

The character in Skyrim, as written, is the most boring motherfucker ever to have walked the continent in 200 years and has no motivation besides "DRAGONS BAD", unless the player decides to imbue the character with a backstory and motivation themselves. I tried the roleplaying thing in Skyrim, and it didn't work out for me, but I can see why people would want to do it.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

DStecks posted:

Far Cry 4 would be a lot less frustrating if one missed shot didn't mean that everyone in a 50 meter radius now knows my exact location.

They just know where the shot came from. Pull back, drop a mine near where you were standing, and relocate. As long as no one sees you moving to another position, you're fine. You can actually get an "Undetected" rank using only a grenade launcher if you keep relocating properly.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

After playing a little bit of Hotline Miami 2, some things are sticking in my craw.

The plot is extremely disjointed and incredibly hard to follow, with events taking place in 1991, 1989, inside someone's head because they're delusional, inside someone's head because they're asleep, and on a movie set (which might be inside someone's head? I don't loving know). It's all ultra-complex and I don't give a poo poo about what's going on. I'm just finishing levels because I want to hit people with lead pipes and baseball bats, which is fine enough for me.

This leads to the second problem, where the game's design has shifted, and melee combat is disincentivised by the number of guns available and the number of enemies from which to take those guns. Even the early levels in HM2 have rooms full of guys with guns, with maybe one or two melee attackers. The Tony mask returns (no weapons, but punches will kill instead of knock down), and I found that the only way to clear some areas is to pop out from around the corner in order to kite enemies to the corner to kill them. The original game was described as a "gently caress-em-up", but this just feels like a regular shoot-em-up like Crimsonland most of the time.

tl;dr: the story is hosed up in a bad way, and there are too many guns.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

quote is not edit

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Binary Domain's voice recognition gimmick works about 30% of the time, and loving up some of the voice prompts can lower your teammates' trust levels, but this is a minor detail because their trust levels will skyrocket if you are good at shooting robots, and you can turn off the mic and use button inputs instead. Annoying, but not game-breaking.

No, the game-breaking part is the QTE that dealt with me changing my keybindings by breaking the prompt. The prompt doesn't show anything except two keys with the sideways [ and a curved arrow above it. Usually that sideways [ denotes the space bar, but space doesn't do anything, nor do any of the other keys the game uses. Nothing works.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't have any problems with the PC version. What's wrong with it?

What, you mean like giving undefined QTE prompts and having awful mouse acceleration that you can't turn off?

I still haven't figured out what buttons the game wants me to press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Because you killed a Zombie-Hitleresque guy in Return to Castle Wolfenstein and a Cyber-Hitleresque guy in TNO?

Can't remember what the final boss was in Wolfenstein, probably zombie/skeleton something because it was all occult-y.

It was the other robot with chainguns dude from 3D with a new robot, and then him without the robot except hulked out and magickal.