Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

muscles like this? posted:

Apparently he was also put off by the increase of violence in the series. While Sam has always carried guns they were mostly a last resort and if you constantly used them you were playing the game wrong.

That sounds unlikely. Not that many voice actors actually play the games they voice, and at Ironside's age...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Alan Wake is pretty much the game that Deadly Premonition would have been with ten times the budget,1/10th of the talent and 100th of the self-awareness. It's not very good in general, is what I'm saying.

But towards the end, it seems to improve quite a bit. You get cutscenes setpieces that aren't just spoooooooooooooky dark woods stuff, you get companions, plentiful ammo to breeze through the boring combat...

And then the ending is literally "I should be the one to fill your dark heart with liiiiiiiiiiiight!".

Also, two minor things that rather annoy me about Alan Wake - whenever you pick up ammo from a crate, you auto-switch to the weapon you just got ammo for. Auto-switching when you pick up a new weapon is annoying enough, but what the poo poo is this.

You also can't turn your viewpoint around when in a car - the game will just grab your mouse and wrench is right back to the standard pov.

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Jul 4, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Hannibal Smith posted:

The talk about awkward walk speeds reminds me of something that I see in countless games: being forced to stand still to avoid missing or accidentally skipping dialogue. When, for example, a couple of characters start chatting when the player enters a hallway entering a hallway, but opening the door at the end throws up a loading screen that cuts it off. The only way to hear all of the dialogue is to just come to a stop (or walk excruciatingly slowly) any time anybody starts talking about anything.

This is especially bad in any game that uses audiologs, but I hate those things anyway.
Mass Effect 3's Party DLC (which is generally quite good) gives you a big apartment with a dozen or so audio logs scattered about. If you decide to keep exploring as the log plays, it just cuts off when you walk a few steps away. Genius.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

One reason I hesitated before purchasing Avadon 2, was reading a post from the creator savaging a fan who dared suggest that all the combat with spiders, rats, bats etc in 1 was a bit pointless. Rats are the foundation of old school RPGs, you know.

And Avadon 2 certainly shows it. Rats, giant rats, rabid rats, frenzied rats, diseased rats, scorching rats, summoned rats, guardian rats, freezing rats, plague rats, poison rats, lava rats, void rats, space rats, elite rats, laser rats, rats galore.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Arcanum is a remarkably fun game even more than a decade later (compare and contrast with the first 2 Fallout installments) but the maps are killing me. They're (necessarily?) large. Thankfully, you have an automapper and can drop waypoints for your character to across. Unfortunately:

1. Your character will randomly stop running if he bumps against an NPC, or a street corner or a fly.

2. The automapper only maps a tiny portion of the screen. You literally have to hug the walls and physically stick yourself into tiny dead ends to make sure they show up on the map and you won't have to waste time checking them out later.

3. For some random reason you can barely scroll the screen from where you are, and your character AI is actually worse at navigating around obstacles than the Baldur's Gate AI. You basically have to babysit or waypoint for any significant run across the city as you fetch quest.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Thoughtless posted:

Arcanum could have a whole topic about things dragging it down. Here's a few more select bits, other than the giant load of bugs:

1) No matter how burly your character is, you can't break open doors. No problem for companions though...

2) ...but these companions have the worst AI, they eat up your XP, and barely have personalities.

3) The game likes punishing you randomly by spawning enemies way above your level. I ran into mobs that one-hit me on the trip to the very first city, and quite a few other times too.
You don't really get bugs with the current GoG version (and/or the unofficial patch). Otherwise:

1. You totally can though?

2. Not really / yes - that's the tradeoff and you'll have more than enough xp to max out anyways / yeah, that's unfortunate.

3. Oh my, an RPG from 2000 doesn't scale enemies to your level? What a shock.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Replaying rear end Creed: Bros.

Everyone in the game should really be about 10 years younger. Ezio's family should have been betrayed when he was 16, he should have met with Mario at 17, and disrupted the Pazi conspiracy at 18. Everyone's characterization (Mario, Ezio, Claudia) would work better with a decade removed.

"Reduce your distance to target". The leash is literally just a few meters short here. Grr.

Unskipabble cutscenes everywhere.

Desmond sections, aaaargh (yeah, not the most original of complaints, but still). It's not just Desmond either - the entire crew is just so loving obnoxious, with the sole exception of Lucy. Meanwhile, Ezio's people are all fairly tolerable.

The bloody camera just... won't... let me... look around. Incredibly annoying when you don't know where to go during jumping puzzles. I remember this was particularly terrible in the Brutus crypts.

It takes *forever* to open a new shop, and you have to open hundreds. Even after the animation is done, the game lovers to grab your camera (one of the more annoying things any game can do) and leave it stuck to the shop for quite a while.

More on the subject of the game grabbing your camera - if you deal with a bunch of enemies on a wall section, take them all out except for one, and that one surrenders but has nowhere to run - the game will grab your camera, point it at him, and just not let you wrench it away until you've ran to the other side of the map.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Back to AssCreed Bro:

The final game section is just a series of story missions you have to accept, with no opportunity to gently caress around in the open world. And since the last collection mission for the ultimate armor and the first plot mission in the inescapable sequence leading straight to the endgame are right next to each other...

If you try to quit during the longass credit sequence, resuming will dump you right back into the final bit of gameplay. If you want to get to the postgame content, you have to allow the credits to play out.

(You can't actually hurry up and shank the poo poo out of the person in that sequence, no matter how much you want to)

There's a bunch of other minor stuff, but these things overshadow pretty much everything.

Ok, in more general complains: I actually stepped out of the animus this time around. There are little sequence that flesh out Desmond's team and make them slightly more bearable. I believe the current favorite theory is that all the Desmond stuff was trying to inject personality into him in order to make him palatable as the protagonist of his own game. But none of the current day stuff even tries to give him personality. His team is interacting and displaying their assholish personalities, and Desmond's input is basically the milquetoast generic equivalent of a JRPG "?". A prompt for more info, no more, no less.

So many little bugs. My favorite one - failing the courtesan mission where you're supposed to defend two mercenaries for two minutes several times in a row with no idea as to what I was doing wrong - until I stopped trying to kill people and just hung back. Apparently if you kill all the enemies before time runs out, the mission fails. Fun times.

One more ray of hatred towards stupid fixed camera angles. Goddamn are those annoying.

The map is terrible in general, but the ability to choose which icons are displayed is rather nice. Shame you can't disable treasure chests icons, even though those are going to be the most frequent and useless icon by a longshot.

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Oct 12, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tiggum posted:

That sounds good in theory, but in reality that just means that most players are disappointed because everything got resolved without them and they didn't get to play it. Yeah, it doesn't make sense that the Jarl of Whiterun has been waiting literally months for me to go deal with this dragon, he should definitely have gotten someone else for the job by now. But on the other hand I might want to do that eventually, so I'd be annoyed if some random NPC had dealt with it while I wasn't looking.
Based on your previous posts, I'm fairly sure that you've never actually played a game like this, and are just speculating based on pure nothing.

I, on the other hand, freaking love Star Control 2. The plot moving without the player (at a reasonable pace) is fantastic.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I still chuckle when I think of the guy who insisted that Spec Ops: The Line had bad gameplay on purpose because it was a metaphor for how war is also bad.
"the" guy?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

rear end Creed: Black Flag:

You can no longer go around punching and shoving and swording and hidden blading and blade-hooking (no blade hook!) innocent civilians. In fact, the only way you can kill civilians is via pistol shot and various tricks.

Trees. Trees are loving terrible. Particularly when combined with the:

Overtly sensitive parkour system. Sometimes I have absolutely no idea where Edward is going to jump for no particular reason.

People no longer automatically drown when they hit the water, so you can't dispatch enemies in easy and fun ways by leading them onto docks.

The combat system is a bit unresponsive and non-intuitive. I get it - you got a lot of flack for the "counter-kill-kill-kill-counter" spam of 2-Bro-Rev, but... eh. Particularly eh when I can't pistol or smoke bomb in the middle of a fight.

Pistols are no longer a one hit kill. What the hell.

No more medicine. Again, I'm sure people were complaining about how simple combat becomes with it, but still. The only way to heal is to run away.

The ship combat annoys the hell out of me. Yes, it's me that's terrible, I'm the one who never really liked ships or pirates etc etc - but seriously, I pound a ship with cannons for minutes, it barely takes any damage, then I keep trying to get the "board" prompt when the ships health is nearly gone and I CAN'T until it has either severely damaged me or was blown up by an errant cannonball (and of course, three other enemy ships have joined in by now). Oh, and then I restart the mission and have to get the same speech and the same goddamn spyglass tutorial prompt that takes forever to go away even if I use the spyglass as the tutorial pops up (which should really be a given in general: "if the player has already used a certain mechanic, don't pop up an obligatory tutorial for it")

Might be my old computer, but the game is fairly sluggish in general, and incredibly unresponsive in menus.

I pick up an axe from a fallen guard. I check to make sure the axe is selected as my current weapon. I run up to another guard and attack him. I drop my axe and kill him with a hidden blade.

This is an old complaint in the series, but having your camera angle restricted, or better yet, forcibly yanked back when you try to move it is so goddamn annoying. I just want to look at the pretty sky, is that so wrong?

All the "nod nod, wink wink" stuff in the codex entries are just annoying. You can take potshots at soulless corporations if you're a tiny indie studio. When you actually are a giant soulless corporation, that poo poo rings really false.

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnpE0xlJ5Uc

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

More rear end Creed BF:

The high camera angle when you accelerate the ship to the top speed. I'd much rather have it be a camera toggle that you can turn on and off at will. The top speed also making your ship health and aiming options disappear certainly doesn't help. Oh and the constant glitches when you get to top speed - based on previous rear end Creed experience, I think that I went out of the area limits and am about to drop dead desync on the spot.

Gave up on the first pirate mission for now (after hours and hours ago, during which time the game saved several times over) and the chests I looted and the equipment I bought hours ago were reset. Not the viewpoints. Not the assassin contracts. Not the animus fragments. Just the chests and loot. Why?

Edward's ever so careless and edgy "kick the chest instead of opening it" animation wastes a lot of time compared to the chest looting in previous games - which would just teleport you on top of the chest and start the animation. Instead, I have to circle the chest to find the right spot to kick.

The swivel guns prompt. I think I bitched before about the rear end Creed button prompts being arcane symbols rather than actual buttons, but... ok, it's "up". I go into the options menu, rebind it to the "up" arrows just to make sure... and it doesn't trigger. I hold the button, I tap the button - nada.

There really should either be a docking prompt for any random island with loot on it, or you should get an additional whistle. We can whistle for horses, we can whistle for enemies, so why not whistle for the goddamn boat to park near the island?

The ship upgrades bring back the lovely time wasting of the shop upgrades in previous rear end Creeds. Yes, let's get an lengthy overview of the ship every single time I upgrade a cannon. I'm pretty sure that most of the time nothing actually changes about the way the ship looks.

Firing a broadside of cannons at a settlement doesn't actually kill anyone.

You can dump Blackbeard overboard and leave him to drown (which is nice), but then the game gets stuck until you hit the "skip cinematic" prompt (for some reason) and it starts the nearest mission automatically.

Honestly - when people mentioned that the Pirate rear end Creed has you tailing ships while avoiding detection, I kinda thought it was a joke - you know, how the series throws in a new gameplay element or two while keeping everything else the same. Nope.

Doomsayer posted:

You can very much use pistols and smoke bombs in the middle of combat though? And pistols are also a one-hit kill. Well, maybe the bottom-rung pistols aren't, it's been a while, but I've cleared a number of ships by just emptying my brace of six pistols to make six dead guys in the middle of a fight.

I just shot both a fort commander and an assassination target twice each, with the third/fourth pair of pistols you can get.

Edit - you can't free aim or really reload in combat either.

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Dec 3, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

rear end Creed: Black Flag.

You can no longer kill people with brooms and rakes and shovels. Corpses actually keep these implements in (literal) deathgrips. And when they do drop them, they can't be picked up to wreak havoc. (Not that you could use them anyways, since the game autoswitches to hidden blade at every drat opportunity)

Tying specific shanties on the map to specific shanties your crew sang would have been nice. Or at least randomizing things a bit, because I'm pretty sure each shanty just adds to a fixed list.

Having recruitable officers would also have been nice. Yes, I am in fact looking for a proper pirate rpg. (Like all the assassins you help kill Templars. They should be hanging out on my ship now)(The crew probably be a bit less poo poo at killing people while boarding if they had actual officers)

There's very little point to looting people. In previous rear end Creed's high value targets generally at least had a fair bit of money on them. (And money is actually useful in this game)

Guards literally materializing out of thin air in front of me. Annoying.

The scruffy beard on Ed is hella distracting.

None of the black guys seem to have visible hair. Did someone sit down and figure "the hair on white models look perfectly good, let's not overreach"? Because it really doesn't.

If you put the map marker on an icon, it tells you how far away it is in the regular hud. If you put the map marker on the map but not on an icon, it still guides you but doesn't tell you the distance. In related news, whenever you think you have your mouse clicking precisely on an icon (because the icon is highlighted) apparently it's not quiiiiiiite there, and you set a marker on an empty map spot instead.

Feeling pretty proud of myself, because I quickly caught and tackled a guy by taking a clever shortcut. Cue cutscene in which he runs onto a ship. Welp.

Why are assassination missions on different islands prominently displayed on the map, looking like they're on the island I'm currently on? (Having them shown while I'm at sea is fine, of course)

Boarding a ship, shooting swivel guns – "this ancestor did not kill civilians or domestic animals"

Fast travelled to my ship, it turned upside down and killed my entire crew.

What's that weird gesture Edward just did? Oh, he's mimicking pulling a cowl over his head, except this armor doesn't have a cowl. I mean, it's just an important storyline outfit, not something to bother integrating.

The game lets you know you when you have enough supplies to upgrade your ship. That's good. For some reason it counts cosmetic upgrades (which are in their own separate menu for a reason). That's bad.
The game has (essentially) two separate upgrade currencies. You need money and materials. Money is handled rather well – you gain some with every activity you do, but the reward / upgrade cost balance is such that you should only start getting more money than you know what to do with by the time you hit the late game (and even then, you only have more than you can currently spend because): it's the materials that are the problem. You can only get some by taking down ships and robbing warehouses (and warehouses take forever to be refilled).. Furthermore, metal is far rarer than the other upgrade materials, and is required for all the important upgrades. You basically have to grind ship encounters, bad RPG style, in order to upgrade your ship (since just progressing through the game and doing regular activities won't help you a bit) This means that when it comes to upgrading your ship, you can (and should) ignore all the chests and buried treasure, and the stupid trading mini-game – none of those actually help you one iota.

The ship-to-ship combat is fun, but it just highlights how bland the on-foot combat is. You have to board ships in order to gain the most resources while grinding, and it's hella samey and boring. (My computer also suffers from a slowdown when boarding, so that doesn't help)

I come back from a diving expedition / smugglers den infiltration, and swim up to the ship in diving gear. Just as I'm thinking "hey, boarding a man-o-war in this outfit and without weapons would be a challenge", I grasp the wheel and automatically get my regular outfit and weapons

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

From what I remember of the Pirates! LP, it's a hundred times more grindy than Black Flag. Like you have a dozen map pieces, and you have to track down and defeat each map piece owner three times to get it?

I'm not saying I want a pirate simulator, I'm saying I want more Skies of Arcadia in the Caribbean.

kazil posted:

Also, I have a ton of time in Black Flag and never got half those bugs.
I'm keeping a running tab:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77/screenshots/

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 09:25 on Dec 7, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

rear end Creed: Black Flag, final thoughts

Retarded mission limitations are nothing new for rear end Creed games, but this is just... Your target is at a party. You don't have to sneak through the party undetected - you can walk right up to him and ensue shanking. But you can't be detected while killing him, even though there's no reason whatever to stay at the party after he's dead - and in fact, right after his death babbling cutscene ends, you get detected anyways.

Having played through the entire game, I must contend the sniper sentries are pure bullshit. rear end Creed mission design simply isn't built around having enemies with huge detection radius. (And you often don't have good tools for neutralizing them, much less neutralizing them from outside detection range)

Berserker darts are pretty neat, but you don't get nearly enough space for them and the guards don't seem nearly as aggressive when under their effect. Also, the berserk damage boost apparently only works against the player?

Unskippable credits. In Revelations, at least, you got dumped right back into the credits if you quit. Made some tea, a salad, an extremely elaborate sandwich, came back - the credits are still playing.

When the credits were finally over, a map popped up with a bunch of locked forts and assassin contracts. I thought "cool, I can do all that stuff with my upgrades". Sadly, apparently that was just... a glitch or something, and you can't respawn all the forts etc? Lame.

The rear end Creed wiki is terrible. (My point of comparison is the Fallout wiki)

Was Marie Reed revealed in the trailers or something? The actress does absolutely nothing to try and disguise her voice. Makes Kenway seem kinda stupid.

Kenway is kinda stupid. I appreciate the change from typical Ubisoft "you're everyone's errand boy", but still.

Having finished the game, I unlocked the UPlay reward for... completing the first memory sequence. The others are locked away. Kinda wanted that Epic Edward outfit.

In retrospect, I really should have stuck to the "1 rear end Creed per year" rule. The game felt a bit tired.

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 13:25 on Dec 8, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

You've convinced me to buy this game asap. Good job.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I was playing Professor Layton Unwound Future last night, and used a hint on a puzzle. The hint basically boiled down to "This one is tricky! Think about it carefully!"

Wow thanks Professor go to hell
On a similar note, once you've solved the puzzle in Puzzle Agent, the "why is this the solution" section is "this is the solution. Just because" like 90% of the time. Gets a bit better in Puzzle Agent 2, but still.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Valkyria Chronicles is a pretty fun anime, but goddamn is driving the loving tank (the game's centerpiece) a total nightmare. You drive using the mouse and keyboard, but even if you leave the mouse alone entirely (which you should, if you don't feel like turning in place forever) it will still keep trying to make your tank whir off into the sunset.

Edit - Oh, and the missions are ranked solely by how many turns it takes you to complete them. You basically have to run a single scout to the final objective (with pre-knowledge of enemy placement) in order to get an A rank.

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Dec 25, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

cyberbug posted:

Stacking every Order (=temporary buff) you have on Alicia and having her run all the way to the objective by herself is amusing when it works, but it's not an option all that often, since the missions are quite varied and figuring out the optimal solution to each of them is challenging every time.

Putting a single order (Caution, which allows you to basically ignore enemies as you rush forward) on a scout and just bee-lining for the enemy flag works on like 80% of the missions and is an important part of the other 20%.

The game would be a lot more interesting if you had more defense / evacuation missions (a longer first part with the protagonists being on the losing side). Also - if you got one turn for every unit on the field and CP's were extra turns / orders.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

Seriously, Legion has zero depth and it's annoying because even villains should have some ambiguity about them.
There once was a dipshit on these forums who inspired the smug roman smilie. Talking to Caesar when you know that people like that exist and might survive the apocalypse makes for a very different experience.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

DStecks posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that FC4 is to FC3 as Bioshock 2 was to Bioshock, and I mean that as a (somewhat backhanded) compliment.

It's actually the Brotherhood to rear end Creed 2.

The camera in Wasteland 2 is so goddamn clumsy and awkward and lumbering. I rather think a fixed camera position would have been easier and forced the team to put more of an emphasis on aesthetics (poo poo is UGLY in this game)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Who What Now posted:

That actually sounds like a ton of work to get money in a game where money becomes trivial in the first few hours of playing so I'm legitimately confused why anyone would actually do this.
How would you sa-

Pidmon posted:

You can buy savepoints for nontrivial amounts of money in that game so it's kind of useful to get those early on.
Huh. I don't remember that being a thing. Where, how?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Pidmon posted:

That's what buying houses is for. Each house has a save point, and a closet (to play dressup) inside and some have garages to store houses.
Oh. I thought more along the lines of FF7's freely deployable save point.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

She's using the whole "We don't hate black people, we're just proud of being white!" excuse closeted racists fall back on.
People look back on Ashley's personality and sum it up as "space racist", but she's really an exceptionally accurate portrayal of someone who (for instance) votes Republican and is worried about the "demographic balance" but would never support the KKK (Terra Nova or whatever the actual space racists party is called) and/or might have actual black friends.

In a way, ME2 characterization takes a step back, insofar as everyone except Mordin are big badass archetypes with daddy issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

STALKER: Call of Pripyat is so goddamn buggy.

I can hear your astonished gasps - a buggy Stalker game? What a surprise.

But it's the third game in the trilogy, and supposedly the most bug-free one. I'm also playing it with a user mod that supposedly deals with some of the bugs.

I can't finish the game because some scripts refuse to play. The last few rounds of cutscenes were completely silent, NPCs just eyeing each other lustily, because some scripts refused to play. A few major quest chains broke down in the middle because......

Quest markers for quest that failed or were completed remain on the map. You get to assemble a full seven (4) samurai party to take on a dangerous mission (yay), but you can't heal them or give them guns (boo).

Shame, because when the game works - when a whole bunch of poo poo interacts in the environment, and you get multi faction pileups, or guys going around with a dozen guns because they looted them all from various previous corpses - it's a lot of fun.