Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Steam page for The Age of Decadence, an otherwise really good throwback RPG, states that combat is designed to be balls out hard. When you start a new game, a message pops up stating that combat should be a last resort, and that trying to kill is the fastest way to die. The trainer in the tutorial tells you that you're not expected to win every fight, and that, when the swords come out, you've already lost.

Boy, but there are a lot of forced combats with no exits in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fried Watermelon posted:

My favorite tied to FPS game mechanic was in GTA SA you had to ride a motorcycle onto a plane that was taking off. If you had too high of FPS the plane would travel faster and you could never reach it in time.

Oh gently caress me, THAT'S why I could never catch up to the plane?! I must have tried that mission a dozen times before I finally got on it! Goddammit, Rockstar.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

The combat in Technomancer feels really janky to me

It's janky. It's an incremental improvement over Bound By Flame, which was an incremental improvement of Mars: War Logs, but yeah, still janky as hell.

That said, it feels loving awesome coming off of an hour of walking from point A to point B and back again. I love the setting and the concept and the game is beautiful for a budget title, but hoo drat is the constant backtracking annoying.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gloryhold It! posted:

I actually learned how to play blackjack from persona 1 :shobon:

Same. Persona 1 had a lot of flaws, but I'll always love it for being the first modern-day JRPG I ever played.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm bummed Pandemic got scrapped; Saboteur is a definite B-Game and is enjoyable as hell.

I really like how I can climb up most sides of buildings and find my own way in and out of combat areas. Ledge grabbing is pretty dodgy, though. I wish it was smoother when you move from handhold to handhold.

The Saboteur is fun as hell, but it does something with the climbing that always takes me out of games a bit. If you fall from a building, you die, but if you catch a ledge on the way down, even at terminal velocity, you're totally fine. It makes for some really funny gameplay, but always throws me off when it happens.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Fallout 4's writing was dogshit. The sidequest that killed the game for me had me tracking down, picking up, and returning a mother deathclaw's egg for the good resolution, because MOTHERHOOD IS THE BEST THING, GEDDIT? PARENTING?! FIND SHAUUUUUN!

It makes no sense within the game world, had all the subtlety of a brick through a window, and looped back to the main plot in an incredibly hamfisted way. Credit where credit's due, it has the best gameplay of any of the Fallouts, but that one sidequest took me out of the game completely.

Non-Fallout talk, Hollow Knight is really good but I keep attacking unfamiliar NPCs because I can't tell if they're friendly or enemies. The one time I didn't I bounced off of an enemy, so now everything gets a whack to see if it takes damage.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I stay away from Amalur the same reason I don't buy books written by Orson Scott Card, because it's an end-product from that prick and soiler-of-socks, Curt Schilling.

Even with its less than stellar development story, I really wish that game got a sequel. It was the first open world game with combat more interesting than "click button, hope it dies." Dragon's Dogma was a great follow up for that, though.

I was playing Castlevania: Kojima edition, and absolutely love the presentation of it. What killed it for me was reaching a point where I needed to find five keys to fight a boss. To get one of those keys, I needed to get three keys for an NPC, who would then give me one of the boss keys.

Motherfucker, I'm not going to do a fetch quest to get an item for another fetch quest. That's just lazy design and padding in a game that's already starting to drag by that point.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was actually pretty excited to play AssCreed 3. I've always lived either in Philadelphia or in the adjacent suburbs, and we all know AssCreed games always give you three cities to run around in, so it'd be pretty cool parkouring around Old City back when it was new. I mean, hell, a good chunk of the wilderness in the game is Valley Forge; surely I'll be able to get to play in Philadelphia!

It still wasn't as disappointing as loading Homefront: Revolution and seeing beautiful, metropolitan Camden to the north of Port Richmond, just across the north/south running Ben Franklin Bridge. They got so much right in that game, down to the style of the street signs, but completely hosed up the map.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
To TNO's credit, the only weird tonal disconnect I got was from BJ himself. It was weird playing this brick shithouse of an American soldier who looks like John Cena with a thicker neck blasting my way through hundreds of nazis and their assorted robots when he just sounds so sad all the time. It worked well in the camp level, and his burst of joy playing Buffalo Gals on guitar was fantastic, but I really wish the VO and vocal director gave the character a little more emotional range.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's why it's so popular. It's a game where you can buy status and the admins or whatever Rockstar has will punish anyone who messes with your paid stuff.

:capitalism:

That's also probably the best bit of satire in the GTA series and completely accidental.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Weapon and item durability can be a positive thing in games if the game is centered around using weapons and items hard and fast before moving on to the next one. Goon-made roguelike Cogmind is a great example of this. where the premise is that you play a floating robot core who can get weapons, items, legs, engines and the like from scavenging them from store rooms or dead enemies, but they can all get blown off of you quickly, forcing you to continually adapt your play style based on what you find and hold on to. The STALKER games decent examples of it, too, since there are always new weapons around the corner and decay is a running theme through the games.

It's dumb bullshit in open world RPGs, though. If I have one sword available that is considerably more powerful than any other, and is also the only sword I've found that is level appropriate for the enemies I'm fighting, don't make pay a goddamn tax after every other fight to use it!

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Attestant posted:

I'm a massive witcher 3 fan, but yeah, the loot is easily the worst thought out part of the game. Ramdom stuff is almost 99% complete junk, just because crafted Witcher gear is vastly better easy to get. As a rseult all rare loot is immediately sold or chopped in to crafting materials.

This was one of my big complaints about Witcher 3. It's my favorite game, hands down, but they put in all of these awesome looking armors and weapons that are all but useless because they're so much weaker than crafted Witcher sets.

I haven't found a game that can strike a balance between "crafting is worth the time and in game resources put into it" and "crafting is powerful enough to make found gear useless." The only games that come close are the latest Tomb Raider games, of all things. In those, crafting is limited to upgrades to weapons and equipment and on the fly grenades, both of which are useful without being wholly necessary.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter is all about making deductions and picking the right suspect in a case - but its reasoning doesn't make sense.

In the first case, Prey Tell, I'm being hunted through the woods by a man with a rifle who continually yells at me and quickly chases me down as he shoots. My choices for the suspect are a former soldier with a grudge against the rich and an (apparently) charitable aristocrat that I've proved has tuberculosis. I reasoned that there's no way a dude that's wheezing and coughing up blood was sprinting after me while yelling, so I picked the soldier as the suspect. I was wrong and the game never explains why.

Booooo.

I'll spoiler this since you're a few hours away from it, but...

gently caress the Mayan temple. I skipped through most of it because it was dumb bullshit that didn't even fit the premise of the game. That case was also nothing but loose ends. How the gently caress did a Brazilian dwarf move those mechanized statues, and how the gently caress wasn't the guy who built those statues with super spear throwing action responsible for the corpse at the beginning of the case getting a statue's spear through the back?!

It seems like for every interesting mystery and story beat there was a bullshit part. The best part of the game was the realization that Jon Hamm would make a good Sherlock Holmes, since they obviously modeled Holmes off of Hamm.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

That was dwarf fortress.

Oddly enough, the super carp in DF dragged dwarfs down.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Watchdogs 2 turns into kind of a joke once you get the gang and police power-ups. I've cleared entire missions by calling the cops on security guards and recharging on civilians.

That's not a thing dragging the game down for me, though, because on the odd event where it gets old, I just call in a gang hit to make things interesting again.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
4e was good because it's the only edition where the designers realized that, if you're going to design a heavy, combat focused RPG, you should probably make the combat interesting.

3.X was killed for me when I was hit with Tasha's Hideous Laughter on the first round of a long fight. I was out for 8 rounds, but, since I kept my reflex and Dex bonus to AC, nothing could touch me outside of an enemy rolling a natural 20 on me.

It was a three hour real-time fight. I pulled out a book and started reading because, well, gently caress it, there was nothing I could do but roll Will to save against a spell DC I couldn't hit outside of a natural 20 on my turn. Lost rounds are fine in a video game where you can control multiple characters. It loving sucks in a tabletop game where you can only control one.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

It also let's you more or less sequence break if you save up and spend it all on the grenade launcher upgrade for your rifle well before you get the explosive arrows in the story.

...which is pretty much the only reason to use a gun instead of the bow and arrow once you upgrade your bow skills. I wound up using guns just for the novelty of them.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Modern tabletop RPGs seem to be going in two directions. First is the D&D/Pathfinder stuff, where come hell or high water we're going to make people buy a shitload of books. The other is the lighter, more story and roleplay focused direction, which I greatly prefer. If you're at all interested in tabletop gaming but think there's too much to learn and don't want a full combat minigame, check out some Powered By the Apocalypse games like Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, and Spirit of '77.

Also, I don't agree that roleplaying is all on the group. The system determines how the group's characters interact with the world, so it has a huge impact on roleplaying. Running a D&D adventure using Paranoia would give it a much different feel, after all.

D&D is boring, Pathfinder is boring with a fresher coat of paint, and Starfinder is loving hilariously broken while still being boring.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

New Butt Order posted:

The only reason that Pathfinder even exists is because a bunch of 3.5e canned adventure makers didn't want to stop so they made a system that let them keep doing it forever. "Fresher coat of paint" is the opposite of why that system exists.

I meant it as in "has a different art style in the books," since that's the biggest difference between the two. It's still a near 1:1 copy of 3.5.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Man, here I was thinking the thing dragging Prey down was how boring the enemies are outside of mimics. Mimics were cool and interesting, especially in the early game when they were a threat. Every other enemy was one bland FPS cliche after another.

I also prefer combat in which enemies and the player character die quickly, so Prey's bullet sponges always felt more like a pains in the rear end to slog through rather than actual threats. Having to avoid enemies because they're deadly and can gently caress you up is good. Having to avoid enemies because they're boring to interact with is not.

I've been playing Seven: Days Long Gone lately. It's a really fun post-apocalyptic, techno-futuristic action/stealth/parkour RPG in which you play a thief dropped off on a prison island for ~*mysterious reasons, ooo*~. Running around the island is really fun and the setting is interesting. The thing dragging it down is the map's UI.

Most quests don't give you the exact location of a target, instead appearing as a grey or blue circle, depending on whether or not the quest is your active quest. Hovering your mouse over any element on the map brings up a label with a small description, including the quest name when hovering over an exact quest location. The grey or blue circles, however, don't have a hover state. In order to figure out which quest they are for, you need to switch back and forth from the quest log and the map until the circle you want to investigate turns blue.

The other, bigger problem with the map is that the game has an incredible amount of vertical motion; climbing over and on top of things is one of the chief ways of getting around and literally getting the drop on enemies. The map, though, is entirely two dimensional, and doesn't represent changes in elevation at all. This leads to a lot of wandering around gorges to figure out how to cross them.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

It's not just ship-based stealth, you're in the middle of a swamp so you're doing it through very narrow paths and also gotta do it at the ship's slowest speed. It's absolutely infuriating anti-fun.

It was pretty ballsy of them to think no one would question how an ocean-faring pirate ship could conceivably travel through a swamp, too.

I'm one of those weirdos who likes the Syfy quality modern era plot line running through the AssCreeds, but having slow, plodding sections of Adventures In the Office without a way to gently caress with your co-workers was a terrible idea.

As of last night, Spec Ops: The Line was free on the Humble Store. It might still be for anyone who hasn't played it.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Seventh Arrow posted:

I had a different kind of camera problem in Seven: The Days Long Gone, it's third person but the camera is almost directly on top of you, looking down. You can move the camera left & right, but you can't tilt it down so that you can see a bit more of what's in front of you. It's a stealth game, I kinda want to see if there's a guard at the top of the stairs or not.

Same. Great game, but maybe having an almost vertical camera in a stealth and platforming heavy RPG was a pretty bad decision.

Neir: Automata had the camera pan down to level with the ground when running that I swear was meant to tease a panty shot when playing 2B's section. It made for some awkward running both because I had to keep flicking the thumbstick up to see past her, and when I was playing it and my wife walked in.

OutOfPrint has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Apr 6, 2018

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

Whats even better is a surprise mandatory party and next thing you know you're forced using people you haven't used who are under leveled or geared.

This is what killed Arc the Lad 3 fore me way back when. I had a character who came into the story after everyone else, so I never used him, because why bother spending all that time leveling up some new guy when I have a perfectly good, well rounded team ready to go.

Then they threw in a mandatory mission with him. My party, and the enemies, were all nicely leveled. He was still at the same level he was when he came into the game.

Also, I really don't like latecomers in party based games. Chances are that I'm not going to use a character who shows up halfway through the game much if I already have a viable party, especially if money is too tight in the game to properly outfit that character.

Chrono Cross had 45 goddamn characters. I used 6 of them regularly.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Attestant posted:

Combine this with weird rear end comments from Randy Pitchford about how the "artstyle was holding Borderlands back", and I feel like they have no idea what they're actually doing.

Hey, it'll be the third (or third and a half) game in the series, just in time for a dark and gritty, grey and brown reboot!

DoubleNegative posted:

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified needs to let me drop a loving hard save while back at base. Or just in general. Relying on autosaves is a terrible idea when the game doesn't autosave religiously. I lost nearly 20 minutes of doing stuff between missions because I tried to do a bunch of errands all over the base before stopping for the night. So now when I go back to it tomorrow I have to redo all that stuff again before I can continue on as planned.

This, but for every game with save systems that don't respect the player's time. Relying on poorly implemented auto-saves is a great way to piss off and burn out your player base as they lose progress because they haven't hit and arbitrary save point in a half hour.

The auto-save implementation in Ubisoft games is one of my favorite implementations, though. Those games save after almost every action pretty much invisibly to the player, besides the save icon popping up in a corner of the HUD.

One of my favorite indie games, In Celebration of Violence, has the worst save system I've seen. You can only save and quit after defeating a boss. The levels can take up to an hour to completely clear. In the levels, you can find black keys to get you into a bonus dungeon after the boss fight, but you can't save and quit and still hit that bonus dungeon, because saving and quitting puts you at the start of the next level when you continue your game. Also, you can only save and quit; you can't save your progress and continue playing. There is no auto-save on quit, either, so if you do need to quit in the middle of a level, you lose your character, progress, and need to restart the game.

Motherfucker, I have a kid on the way, I'm not going to have time to commit an uninterrupted hour of game time with a penalty for saving and quitting to take care of her.

It's a shame, too, because the rest of the game clicked with me more than almost any other game I've played. I wouldn't recommend it to everybody, but the gameplay just feels right to me, and it's still one of the few real-time roguelikes that feels like a roguelike.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

A game that handles surprise nuclear armageddon extremely well is Hotline Miami 2, because that game is all about an escalation of violence and death for its own sake, and the entire world wiping itself out in nuclear hellfire is the only logical conclusion. You're right, FC5 is mostly about good old American rednecks taking back their hills against some weird drug cult and that trademark level of Far Cry irreverence until, apparently, if you actually pay attention to the game's garbage lore, nuclear war breaks out in the background and the entire storyline about liberating Hope County is a complete waste of time anyway since everyone dies. What a waste.

I haven't played the game yet, but reading these spoilers wants to make me play it even more. I'm a sucker for any media that takes an abrupt and overwhelming turn completely nixing the entire story. One of my favorite pet ideas is a movie in which the heroic lawyer, walking from the parking garage to the courthouse for the final legal showdown, gets smacked by a bus, and the movie ends on a shot of his case breaking evidence flying gently down a sewer grate.

I really, really wanted to like Underrail, but there are way too many little things bringing it down to make it enjoyable for me, all of which have been mentioned here. My main bit is that the difficulty isn't challenging enough to make fights a puzzle to solve, but so deadly thanks to the enemies having comparable stats as the PC, despite outnumbering the PC X-to-1, that every fight feels like bullshit.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Here's one from Divinity: Original Sin 2 that pretty much killed it for me. It's pretty late in the game, so I'm wrapping it in spoiler tags.

Toward the end of the game, you come across an impish pocket dimension, with imps being the clockwork inventor goblins of the setting. The pocket dimension is a puzzle dungeon in which switches need to be pressed, either by party placement or throwing boxes onto them, to open doors. The lovely part is that there is a constant slow effect applied to your party for the duration of the dungeon. Considering the characters move so slowly that I was alt+tabbing out of the game if I had to have them travel any real distance, having them move at half speed through an entire dungeon is painful.

Whoever thought that was a good idea, especially so late in the game when players' enthusiasm is already starting to flag, really didn't think this one through.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The whole experience made me appreciate Spiderweb Software's take on character movement in its earlier games. Since Spiderweb Software is one guy with better poo poo to do than make walking animations, the party teleports to where you clicked so long as there isn't an obstacle in the way. The games with actual running animations makes the characters move at a pretty quick pace.

My rule going forward is going to be that if a game routinely expects me to sit for longer than a minute while my character moves from its starting point to another point on the map with nothing to make that time interesting, I'm putting it down. It's one thing in an effective horror game to use slow movement speed to heighten the tension, or for a game to have a big set piece in the background to show off, but if I'm just trying to get characters from point A to point B, then, gently caress it.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The landmine fields were fun if you could lure enemies into them, but otherwise, yeah, they weren't fun.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

This ruins all the fun of an ARPG to me, which is testing new combinations of things and seeing what turns out to be good. And dodging attacks in an ARPG isn't "skill." ARPGs don't have deep enough moment-to-moment gameplay to require that kind of skill. It's just tedium.

I mentioned it over in the PYF Little Things in Games thread, but check out Chronicon. It's a rare thing, a game in early access for about four years that actually gets steady updates without the developer flaming out.

Each class has four subclasses, each with a different elemental flavor. If you think you don't like a particular subclass, though, respeccing potions are so cheap that I typically have a stack of 10 for a character at level 4. Leveling comes fast enough that you can get a good idea of what each power feels like before deciding to respec, which is a nice change of pace.

It's also a really fun game, and the upgrades to each power makes you feel like a god of death pretty early. My poison mage has so many stacked poisons, infections, and summons that the game gets a little hard to follow for all of the exploding enemies.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

DoubleNegative posted:

Because for some reason people think it's the highlight of character building to have to assign stat points. I have never seen a game do stat assignment correctly. Either there's only one correct way to assign your points and every other way is 100% incorrect (Diablo, Diablo 2, Torchlight, Torchlight 2, presumably Path of Exile), or you have to spend skillpoints to level up your stats (Titan's Quest, Grim Dawn presumably).

The fun of assigning points in skills you might think are fun is also usually a huge trap as well. Leveling up skills in most Diablo-likes is the exact wrong thing to do because a level 1 skill costs 2 mana to spam, while the level 5 costs 20.

I don't even understand the point of having trap stat choices. Look at Torchlight 2, where leveling up the Vitality stat is completely worthless because the biggest gain from it is shield block chance. This is in defiance of every other convention that Diablo 2-likes have where the only worthwhile stat to invest in is the one that gives health.

That's actually another thing Chronicon did right: there are no ability scores to manage. You get, and can respec with a separate cheap potion, Mastery Points, which give minor bonuses to certain types of skills, elements, and health and mana, if you want those, but they are strictly presented as bonuses rather than something necessary to not suck. Putting points in a particular subclass also gives a small bonus, like a percentage point of extra poison damage and attack speed, but, again, the bonus is small enough to feel like an added bonus rather than a necessity. Damage, health, and mana are calculated by level and equipment, with every piece of equipment giving a damage, health, and mana bonus. All skill damage and extra damage sources are presented as a percentage of that base damage number. All of this makes skill choices feel meaningful, and, so far, I haven't encountered any trap skills. Some are better than others, but every skill is workable for a specific build.

That said, though, I hate passive, "numbers go up" design in skill systems, in which you need to pump X points into a single skill to have its damage keep pace with enemies' health, or have passive bonuses as necessary points along the skill tree to dump points into before getting the skill I was trying to get in the first place. If uninteresting, thematically blank passive* bonuses is necessary to the balance of a game, then just bake those bonuses into leveling rather than forcing the player to waste a skill point.

*I mean stuff like "+10 HP" and "+2% crit chance" for uninteresting and thematically blank passives. Passives like "gusts of wind periodically blow projectiles away from you" on a wind-based character, especially with projectiles visibly altering their trajectory when affected by them, are A-okay in my book. Spending extra points on a fireball skill is also fine and good if the fireball gets noticeably bigger, or goes from a red ball exploding with a small foom to a blinding white one that rattles speakers off of shelves. Audio and visual presentation is key here.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Poulpe posted:

...Blizzard... Here's hoping they've learned from their mistakes!

So long as what think of as mistakes are profitable, even in the sense of "we could fix this, but, eh, it works enough, let's not spend wages on it," they will continue to make them.

See also: Bethesda

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
It just hit me that the only games that do weapon degradation consistently right are 90's side scrolling beat 'em ups. In other games, it either happens too fast and leaves you with a lovely back up weapon, is trivially avoided, or wildly unwieldy and silly like the Bethesda Fallouts needing copies of the same item to repair it.

Those beat 'em ups had you already fighting like a badass, and weapons were basically power ups that gave a little more range or damage on top of what you already dish out until they broke or ran out of ammo.

I can't think of any games in which weapon degradation makes them more fun except for brawlers. Maybe something like STALKER, where it's in keeping with the game's theme, but, for the most part, games that treat found, breakable gear as a temporary bonus rather than a permanent, always slowly breaking, part of your character handle it much better.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The sad part was how many people were okay with giving away their ORIGINAL CHARACTERS DON'T STEAL.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

I can see you're going to enjoy Shadow of the Tomb Raider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_z7zo3Zyyk&t=192s

Jesus Christ they're leaning hard into the "Lara is a loving psychotic slasher movie villain" thing. I like that, though, since they've been gradually setting it up for two games.

Well, except for the end of the first game of the reboot. That wasn't exactly subtle.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Ultimately, what dragged down MP3's plot for me is that Max doesn't have a motivating reason to care. In MP1, Max had a vengeance quest against the people responsible for his wife and daughter's murders. In MP2, he had Mona making him feel something like love. In MP3, he has a paycheck. He has no personal stake in the matter. He hates the people he's paid to protect. There's nothing keeping him in Brazil other than maybe not having enough money for a plane ticket once things start going pear shaped. If the character has no motivation to continue on, why should the player?

Of course, that's made worse by the unskippable cutscenes that make me wholly disinterested in replaying it, but, plot-wise, that's what dragged it down for me. I mean, that, and the unrelenting bleakness of Max's life making each cutscene in the first 2/3's of the game a chore to sit through that it seems like they focused all writing in the game on how lovely Max's life had become and not on giving him any kind of motivation.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'd love to see a Chosen One mix with actual game mechanics rather than just being a narrative device. "How did you get here so fast? You ran?! It's six loving miles! And you haven't eaten anything in three weeks?!"

Doing regular player character poo poo like that is downright superheroic. Why not lean into it?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Coming back from hunting, you deposit 18 dead wolves and two bears with the butcher and ask them to carve this into food, head to the inn and fall asleep, only to immediately regain your health and grow your leg back as well.

Meanwhile, the butcher stares in horror at the mountain of dead animals you delivered unasked onto his counter, because anyone who could kill and carry that much has to be a loving monster.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Chosen One narratives work best with blank slate characters who need an external motivation to interact with the world. It's lazy, but it works.

Personally, I prefer a good ol' fashioned revenge story or engaging mystery, but that typically involves playing a pre-existing character rather than a blank slate, and Chosen Ones make for an easier plot.

So basically FO:NV roolz, FO3 droolz.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Bloodlust: Shadowhunter is one of my favorite jank fests. It's a modern day, vampire themed hack and slash with randomly generated dungeons made by one guy. Despite it's awkwardness, the game has a certain charm and dungeon delving is pretty fun. It gets bonus points for having the most broken, permanent stat increasing alchemy since Morrowind (for example, leveling up gives you 5 points to spend on attributes. With my current character's alchemy score, I can make potions with fairly common ingredients that increase the character's stats by 55 points a pop).

The sequel, Bloodlust: Nemesis hit early access a few days ago. The developer has cleaned up a lot of the stiffness of the first game, and the overall presentation is leaps and bounds above its predecessor. The broken alchemy is gone, but, really, that's probably for the best.

What drags it down, hard, though, is the wraith. The wraith is a randomly spawning entity that occasionally attacks after moving to a new zone. It's unkillable and fast. The only way to escape it is to move to a new zone.

It doesn't deal any damage or incur any kind of mechanical penalty. It merely drags you to its lair.

Which is a load screen away from the game's start point.

Which is two load screens away from the game's main hub.

Which is where the wraith can spawn.

With most stuff dragging a game down, I can tell what the line of thinking was. Usually, they're just questionable design decisions that could have made sense at the time. The wraith, though. I can't figure out how the wraith's inclusion is supposed to make the game better. There might be some story based reason, but even then, this is a really lovely mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I picked up Assassin's Creed: Origins, and, man, it's like they took the best of the mechanics Witcher 3 and the previous AC games and threw it in ancient Egypt, making it extremely my poo poo. There are two little things bringing it down for me, though.

I'm playing on a PC with an XBox controller. Rather than being able to scroll through options in the main menus like every other game with controller support and menus since the dawn of time, it gives you a cursor controller by the left thumb stick. It's slower, less precise, and utterly pointless.

Second, I like the new leveling mechanics and the overall move into an action RPG, but they are not loving around with enemy levels. Trying to stealth kill a higher level enemy makes them take a paltry amount of damage instead, and hitting them with a sword that normally does ~120 damage on a hit deals about 3 or 4. In a Witcher game, that's feel about right. In an AC game, a series where stealth kills always killed enemies, that takes some getting used to. This is just an adjustment, though, and not stupid bullshit like that cursor.