Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I remember when RE4 came out, the game just felt so detailed and well-loved. There are tons of unique art assets that make every area feel unique.

The inability to move while aiming means you got to run around a lot and funnel your enemies through chokepoints. It helps that you're not facing enemies with guns. Sometimes I see that people prefer the wii version for aiming, but there are few things as satisfying as really mastering the laser-pointer aiming on the GameCube controller, and shooting axes out of the air as they flew at you.

now I really want to beat re4 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

I think Nintendo's overall philosophy is that any game could be someone's first game, and streamlining and intuitive use are valued over customizability. I think they could stand to tweak the execution of these concepts but the philosophy has made them a lot of money.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Gestalt Intellect posted:

...of course it's still miles ahead of super paper mario. God what a disappointment that game was by comparison. Whether you judge it as an action game or as a paper mario game it's just dumb.

What a disappointing sequel. I know that it's easy to complain that nerds just want more of the same, but seriously, it's been over a decade since TTYD, and the two games that follow substituted limp-dick action for the tight rpg design, and ripped out reams of character and world-building and exposition and replaced them with garbage and the generic Mario bros 3 aesthetic we've seen dozens of times.

I'm not asking for an annual franchise, just one more game that followed the template would be amazing.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Regarding saints row IV , you can go to the radio option from the pause menu and design your own playlist. I thought the game was so fun it's one of the few I've 100%ed, and I made a good playlist from all the radio stations in the game. When you're in game, just hold B or whatever to pull up the power menu, and then use the Dpad to find your playlist.

Although when I was grinding for achievements, I would smoke spliffs and listen to Gigamesh's All My Life on repeat. Very hypnotic. Rad game.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

At least to III.

I remember the people pulling over and stopping in sleeping dogs being really smooth and clear. In other games sometimes your sirens make other drivers erratic or freak the gently caress out, but in sleeping dogs they pull over and make way like humans would.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

This weird reverse difficulty curve is dragging down a ton of RPGs. Is it so hard to make the starting enemies weaker or start the player at a level where they're not helpless?

The third penny arcade game has skippable dialogue and an insanely fun combat system that is well maintained throughout. The game is entirely combat, and it's fast and "puzzle-y". It's fun.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

BlueKingBar posted:

I think it's weird world that we live in that games are now supposed to be storytelling pieces. Something something "back in my day". Real talk, it's not a bad thing, just a foreign concept to me. Like, if I want a good story I'll go watch a movie or read a novel so I don't have to play the crappy game that the framework of the story is draped from.

Same. If I want a narrative there is a lifetime of wonderful written work that only takes a little research to start uncovering, a whole world of ideas and wordplay and intricately developed characters in lived-in settings. Or there are the great movies and critics to guide you through them.

Videogame plots are basically a matte painting to disguise the actual only reason to ever play videogames, which is good gameplay. The only exception being if they manage to advance narratives through actual gameplay mechanics, like that mission in Metro 2033 where a kid is on your back the whole level so your aim and control is all hosed up, or you massacre all the civilians in Spec Ops: The Line without thinking about it and then you think about it for years, or any emergent narrative you might see for example in FTL, when almost all your crew gets massacred and you limp your broken ship across a hostile galaxy only to have that perfect burst laser II fall into your lap and turn the whole game around.

Basically what I'm saying is jam on the skip cutscenes button in all games at all times and read good books and you'll be better off.

Edit: and the most important narrative decision in all of videogames, which is making Stephen Heck your buddy in Alpha Protocol, for reasons I'm sure someone else will note.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Mar 11, 2016

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

Other games should steal shanties from those games in some sort of... shanty raid.

This but mixed with the nemisis system. Endless robust personal shanties. Via hireable bards.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

There's a sick burn here about something, I think maybe the Free Market strategy, I know it.

Anyway, why would a company pay money for something when they know someone else will do it for free?

Such a dumb argument. It's a console game for starters, and multiplayer is huge bullet point on the box and great for longevity and virility of a game. Aka why every other game company pays money to ensure this aspect of the product is quality. You pay because if you want something right you do it yourself and you can get marketing on board. Invest capital for multiplicative dividends live fat.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I'm not a big fan of the Batmobile in Arkham Knight and I'm hoping it's optional for most of the game. Who the hell thought gliding and zip-grappling around the city was insufficiently exciting?

That said I did like when i did my first Riddler challenge in the Batmobile and the Riddler said something like "if you don't have the brainpower to get how this race course counts a riddle I'm not even going to bother explaining it to you"

Arkham city is my platonic ideal Zelda game and easily in my top 3 games of all time, but WBs marketing department ruined Arkham knight for me I think. Going back it was the hook marketing demanded for the sequel, so it is in your face the entire game like a stripper you just gave a hundred dollars to during her song on a Tuesday morning. Like you'll be ignoring it by just trying to fly around the needlessly enlarged map that has lost all its tiny personal touches, and all the thug banter is like "I wonder why batman just flew by, I hear his batmobile is powered by quantum bats so it's definitely not out of gas! It's probably sneaking up behind us in a contextual manner!" Late game spoilers I'm not tagging cause gently caress this game but there is a horrible car boss later in the game, and when you beat it's tediousness stupidity your loving horrible car explodes with more gravitas than the dark knight trilogy manages for Rachel Dawes death. I cheered, and then Alfred dropped down a brand new one before you even get control of batman properly again. I drove it into the ocean and posted it on eBay in the same motion.

Edit: Also one of the car achievements is called "You Are Wasting Your Life"

Double edit: and if you are a story or lore dork at all you can go 150 miles a hour with your actual Jet Engine Afterburners as only The Batmobile can, and then sideswipe crush an entire division of unarmed dudes against a wall and then peel out on their dead mangled ragdolling corpses (that are labelled "unconscious" but that dude just did two cycles in my wheel well and got ejected through my jet outtake so if he only made it to unconscious that was a tough son of a bitch.), which makes story batmans obsession with and refusal to kill joker across the entire trilogy suddenly very.... Weird.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Mar 22, 2016

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Danger Mahoney posted:

The thing dragging Fallout 4 down for me was its plot pacing. If you follow the main questline, you find out in the first thirty minutes that you need to go to a place. 90% of the remaining main quests are trying to get to this place and then you're super stoked to go to some final showdown, but instead you're hit in the face with the most anticlimactic ending scene ever. With like no fanfare. It felt like the team writing the main story were about halfway through before realizing they were missing quarter wing night so they wrote "and then the game ends", grabbed their coats, and ran out of the office never to return.

More like ran the rest of the story over to the DLC wing of Bethesda most probably due to the colossally complex nature of the game, and the classic game-designed consideration that most people don't finish games. I mean I'm with you 100%, but fallout three at this point essentially ends differentialy than how reviews at the time reflect; because it comes bundled with the post-game dlc that is now part of the overall experience.

I mean i never played it but that's my two cents and it sounds like a very valid thing for this thread.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Dragons age Inquistions has committed an unpardonable crime, even if it does allow you to color every piece of cloth your entire party wears into yellow plaid for some reason.

There are ten huge zones in game that you fight your way through doin bioware stuff and having a lot of fun. Through these zones are all kinds of quests, but usually one big over-arching one with a big bad and the big conflict of the zone. When you finish these zones you fight the local badass and are showered in cutscenes and decisions showing your awesomeness. You sit in your giant-rear end customizable throne and pass judgements over these bosses like, well, a loving boss. Then your trophies start popping.

Well god drat if I didn't get to the end of the 5th zone of the game and start fighting the boss. He was tough as hell but I was up to it. Then he fell down, and then levitated away over a hill where I chased him for a long time, through a dragon and all kinds of other poo poo.

A dozen hours later there is a death animation, a cutscene, judgements, trophies, overall enormous satisfaction of completing the long cap-stone quest for the entire zone: all of this was supposed to happen when that boss died. He did not fly away to the next zone as I believed, he flew away with my desire to ever play this game again. Oh and it's a known glitch since launch and has not been fixed yet or maybe never will but that information will never effect my life again lol.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

eating only apples posted:

Which enemy are you talking about because, I have no idea which guy or zone you mean

A medium-ish sized desert one about lvl10 or so? Lots of sand and a big dramatically closed door you have to loop around the entire zone to open.
There's a big drat dragon south of this boss also.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Mar 27, 2016

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

The only thing wrong with Paper Mario: TTYD is the tediousness and repetition of traveling in its chapters. I loved fighting it always a felt puzzle to destroy as fast as possible, but slowly walking right is the majority of the exploration and doesn't feel good compared to just about anything else from the game. I say chapters because Rogueport is great as you gradually explore it labrynths.

But Boggly Woods and the spooky Halloween town still have my favorite aesthetic, tone and pallet of all Mario games I think. I just wish they'd remaster it and cut out the padding like they did with wind waker.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Wow, when it comes to poo poo he doesn't gently caress around.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Digirat posted:

Because its a manufacturing and distribution center (the first mission in HR is sarif's detroit manufacturing plant) which makes augmentations cheaper for the company to sell there, they have automatic advertising and publicity due to detroit being the home of the famous sarif industries, and they have the infrastructure (LIMB clinics) needed to support augmented people there. Same with hengsha/tai yong medical.

I might be complaining without having played enough of the game to understand this but my impression is that golem city is the actual dumping ground for augmented people, while the non-augmented citizens and prague police are doing basically everything they can to push augmented people out.

Either way, no matter the number of augmented people in the city, there should be at least one other loving thing these people think about. Instead they rise from their beds each day and then their eyes glaze over as the word AUGS once again consumes their brains. AUGS...AUGS...AUGS. YOU HAVE AUGS JENSEN MAN. DEBATE THE AUGS. AUGS INCIDENT HAPPENED. AUGS ETHICAL? AUGS.

I get it, same thing that happened in Arkham knight, when the whole world could t stop talking about your car.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Claptrap is one of the worst fictional beings I have ever seen, and it's weird to me that there could be fans of him. Like I thought he was universally reviled, but I guess to each their own.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

But there are tons of games out there where the canonical ending may not be the one you chose or earned. Like in Metal Gear Solid I saved Meryl but canonically Otacon survives. What about all the times the main villian dies at the end, but comes back in the sequel? I killed him, yet he lives. I dunno, your opinion is very strange but I don't personally care whether you played xcom 2 or not, it just seems with your logic you'd reject a lot of things out of hand.

Anyway back on topic, I'm playing Far Cry Primal and there are a couple things dragging it down. You never get better weapons than the bow and spear that you start with, so progression feels limited. Also sprinting through the bushes towards objectives usually means you're going to stumble across something truly horrible like a bear or mountain lion and you are going to most likely die.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Thing dragging down ME2: it has gently caress anything to do with 1 and is less an RPG and more a really mediocre shooter.

"Hmmm yes, this level im going to level burning bullets, this is truly the pinnacle of rpg systems"

I don't know about the rest of the shooting in ME2 and 3, but vanguard is fun as gently caress and I'ver never seen it done in any other game. Your main ability is a biotic-enhanced charge thats faster than light, and you zoom across the room smashing into an enemy, which also recharges your shield. Follow up with a shotgun and melee and and charge again. Exquisite, I replayed 2 and 3 again just to play a shooter like that again. With ME3, you can offload all ballast like a different gun and use lightweight armor and gun, so your charge has almost no cooldown.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

im pooping! posted:

I really enjoyed ME3 but maybe that's because I've played it as Van only and I don't ever see myself playing as anything else and while ME2 dramatically changed it from ME, ME3 Van is loving nuts on Insanity mode.

Oh yeah, ME3 Vanguard on insane is really loving badass. One of my only games I can think of where failing over and over didn't frustrate or bore me. I was just enjoying the playstyle that much that the challenge was worthy. The slowdown and that sounds getting all distorted before you launch, and the crashing noise. Smashing into the enemy with a shield that immediately dissapears so you're just standing there, and the enemy is blown ragdolling across the room screaming.

This was so enjoyable to me that I didn't have a problem with any of the story (besides the Asian ninja).

Can't wait to have a new vanguard experience in Andromada.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Yes, he has these wonderful rhymes and anecdotes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKeoACNx7_I

I didn't check this vid, but didn't Calendar Man have something to say on a leap day also? I remember reading that somewhat recently, and it hadn't been discovered in years.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FTL is fantastic.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh no, Far Cry has lots and lots of story. It's just not uh... good.

Some parts of 3 were good. Vaz the villain was pretty great and unsettling. A lot of the story is definitely not presented well, but Jason Brody has an actual arc. It didn't work so much in cutscenes, but in play as a FPS, your character is extremely physical and tangible within the world which is grounding. From there, watching him go from a kid way over is head to a bloodthirsty god of war as depicted by the increase in your power from unlockables attacks and arms and armaments, and especially through his increasingly unhinged voice acting through game.

Pity that most of the cutscenes are pretty crap though.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That reminds me of Tomb Raider, the most 7/10 game I've ever played. You take one Uncharted clone, but after you shoot everyone you can play the game like a boring collectathon, just picking poo poo up. Add in some half-baked RPG mechanics and the most cliched story on Earth and you'll get this extremely average game. Of all the games ever made, this is one of them.

This is all redeemed by the bow. It was the only weapon I used the whole game, most satisfying bow in gaming. Get close to me? Sand in yo face and bow headshot. gently caress yeah. The story was subpar and your companion were complete nonentities, but poping up from cover for a headshot, or getting bum rushed and retreating while bowing felt so right.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Who What Now posted:

I don't know when the video game industry decided that bows were magical super-weapons that create negative sound and hit with the force of a billion nukes, but I hate it.

Boooo!

For real though, getting shot in the head is an instant kill with any weapon, but the bow was immensely satisfying because it specifically wasn't like any other games bow. It was fast and precise and very reactive, and didn't look or feel like firing a gun at all. What's wrong with that?

In what games does a bow hit like a billion nukes?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

That changes jack poo poo. I'm still getting loving mobbed, I'm still forced to listen to the single worst loving British accent in recorded history, I've got knife guys absolutely annihilating me, I've got those box throwing dickheads hitting me when I'm at least 2 meters away from where they land and it takes three loving tried to take one armor guy out.

It's a HORRIFIC design decision, like I'm flabbergasted at who on earth thought that was a good idea.

Yeah, the challenge rooms are like 100X harder than anything you face in campaign, and can be cleared flawlessly. The design is great, it is you that is flawed.

EDIT: whoops, exception for arkham orgins. that game blows.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Feb 6, 2017

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

Tennis Court you mother fucker you made me agree with Poptart Fairy and that is drat inexcusable.

The beatdown is like the most useful move in the game once you realize You can counterattack out of it and then immediately resume it; it's my go-to attack for if I need to think and I'm not confident about my dodging skills.

Something actually annoying about Origins is, as has been mentioned, it's shakier combat; City just feels more polished, my performance is notably worse in Origins which makes no sense when they're effectively the same system, but even if you don't believe me when I say I r gud at vidcons, I've seen that enemies occasionally don't get counter popups in the normal game modes, which is pretty clearly broken.

Note that my game is not fully patched due to stupid reasons so they may have tightened all this poo poo up a year or two later for all I know but it shipped with this stuff at least.

Yeah Origins combat system is way shittier. I love the hell out of Cities, I bought all the DLC and would play endless combat mode quite often, every mistake you make is your own, not the games. Origins was way sloppier with counters not registering in time, heavy enemies looking just like regular enemies, your moves not prioritizing against the proper enemies correctly, the timing of many of your moves slowed down or made interruptible, and a host of other small annoyances that add up to a collective butthole.

Cities combat is basically perfect though.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

10 Beers posted:

Recently played through Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, now I'm working on Arkham Knight(to hell with Origins). The number one thing dragging it down for me is that for some bizarre reason, they switched up the control scheme from all of the previous games. Now you have to press up on the DPad for detective mode instead of LB, which no summons the Batmobile. I'm constantly accidentally trying to summon the drat Batmobile. The new gadget wheel is pretty clunky, too.

And one of my favorite parts of the previous games were the Riddler Riddles, but there's only 1 or 2 per area now, in addition to the 1 billion trophies. The Riddler sidequest isn't as fun to me either, because it's the Riddler building these elaborate Batmobile race courses which doesn't really fit in with the Riddler's MO at all. I guess that can be explained away by Batman always beating him, so he's changing it up.

On the bright side, the Batmobile parts aren't as bad as I remember, they're just really shoehorned in there as much as possible.

I really didn't dig the batmobile, but it's a constant presence in the game. Even if you swoop into a group of thugs, they're all like "it's the bat! I wonder where his sweet car is!?"

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Who What Now posted:

I actually kinda liked the parts where you fight waves of tanks (that you are reminded every five seconds are drones and not people :rolleyes:). They didn't take long, were decently challenging without being obnoxious, and were a nice break from the regular gameplay, plus it was decently fun in its own right.

But that loving boss fight with Red Hood's ultra-tank was just garbage. I lost interest in the game shortly after it.

Also batman is clearly murdering dozens of dudes by side swiping them against walls going 150mph then burning out on their corpses. At that point might as well kit him out with a full roster of guns as well.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

Please tell me there's a 'Rubber bullets. Honest.' reference in Arkham Knight.

There is a move where you knock someone up in the air and your car shoots them, so yes in a big way.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Or Majora's Mask, where the final boss is of course Majora's Mask.

New Zelda looks absolutely amazing, but I can't afford to buy a system for one game.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

you don't have a wiiu?

There wasn't a single game I wanted to play on the Wii U until now.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Unfortunately AAA game titles are waaaaaaay too expensive to develop so much content that huge portions of your player base are never going to see.

Also most shooters are hallways nowadays.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Counterpoint: getting lost in a maze level where every corridor looked identical or backtracking through a cleared level because now you have the red key and the red door is right back at the start, was not actually that fun, it just made the game take a lot longer to get through.

Yeah, but Goldeneye and Perfect Dark aren't really designed like that for the most part. There's usually a straightforward route through a level and a lot of optional sprawl for more objectives.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Schubalts posted:

The Outsider really was the best character in Dishonored 1. They nailed "god who is bored out of his loving mind". Like when he mocks the people who worship him in hopes of gaining power, because he'll just bless whoever, as long as they're not boring.

He's also a god for a dying race in a dying world. Which explains his "gently caress it" attitude towards loving with humans, and his very bleak enjoyment of their pain. I was bummed in Dishonered 2 that they made all of this a lot more explicit rather than implied.

I also really liked Cecelia, the redhead servant in the Hounds Pit Pub, even though she's an incredibly minor character. She's kind and under-appreciated and saves your rear end later on.

Also Anton Sokolov was a pretty great take on the mad scientist renaissance man.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

If you fly into a group of thugs, they all wonder where your car is and if it's about to ambush them.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Riddlers front should definitely be an owning an enormously successful subcontractor business. As far as building poo poo goes, that guy gets poo poo done fast and well.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

In Fallout 3's dlc you get on a working tram at one point. The engine can't actually do that though, so what actually happens is you step into a tram that's really a gigantic hat on an extremely tiny man, who runs along a set path at the same time the AI walks your character along at an increased move speed.

hahahahahaha

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Dewgy posted:

It's really useful up until the point where you get a silencer, after that it gets delegated to rope duty.

They really improved it in Rise by giving it an triple lock-on headshot upgrade, which was pretty rad.

I beat the whole game only using the bow because it felt so fun. You don't need to draw all the way back, and always be headshottin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

But sandstorms have the best loot and aren't that bad? Hook megaloot crates and position your car so you're in the lee of the wind when you jump out to break and loot them, make like 2,000 scrap per storm. You actually want sandstorms they're the fastest way to make scrap in the game.