Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Sims Medieval was pretty good about letting you do various other poo poo and had you actually involved in your sims job.

Plus you could play as a lunatic murderhobo, so points there.

It helped a lot that you only had 2 needs to babysit instead of 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

marshmallow creep posted:

Nah Nick is based on a guy who was trying to take down a criminal mastermind who killed Nick's girl and then walked because he cut a deal. You can help him find the guy, who conveniently turned himself into a ghoul before the bombs dropped and locked himself in a secret room no one could get into and stayed there for 220 years so Nick would have the chance to track him down and kill him at long last. 220 years in the equivalent of a one room apartment.

FO4 also gave us Billy the ghoul, a child who was trapped in a loving refrigerator for 220 years.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

The Moon Monster posted:

It's weird because aside from human faces the art is actually pretty good. I think it's the artist's "personal style" or something but I'd be surprised if it didn't have a significant negative impact on the game's sales. It seems to be the first thing everyone notices, and not in a good way. It's a shame because the game is pretty great otherwise, some balance issues aside (why can poison and daggers never be good in these things :qq:).

They look like humans to you?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Olaf The Stout posted:

Zelda for me, easily. Okami is pretty, but very very easy and very long, with the worst companion ever. Hard mode BotW really kicks your rear end in the beginning, making your ascent to power even sweeter. Also the implication that you have the hardware and the game already means you already passed the vast majority of the price hurdle. Just my opinion though, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of others.

Zelda dlc doesn't let you pee on your enemies, though.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Noivern.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BioEnchanted posted:

It's not a boob window - those are two seperate pieces of armour. They do not connect at the back. It's a shoulder/neck guard thing, then a steel halter top made of spikes.

A boob breezeway.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

A corrupted version of the really big robot that isn't animal themed or a Corruptor.

Its the robot that's an angry rectangle.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cythereal posted:

This is why I've never bought Subnautica despite loving undersea settings. If it was just about exploring, I'd be all over it.

If you don't mind the gathering/crafting elements, you can turn the survival poo poo off.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

VanSandman posted:

I'd love to read about the fall of Final Fantasy as a series, from what was once a 'must-buy' for Playstation owners to a niche, at best, product. Anyone know of a good writeup?

First couple results for "fall of final fantasy" seem to be what you're looking for:
https://www.alteredgamer.com/final-fantasy/123269-ff-the-demise-of-the-series/
https://medium.com/@felfortes/final-fantasy-viii-and-the-beginning-of-squares-fall-f4aa6b402048
https://www.wired.com/2013/08/final-fantasy-is-still-dead/
https://leviathyn.com/2014/03/06/fall-final-fantasy-part-decline-square-enix-flagship-franchise/

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Picke up Observer on the PS4. I like the atmosphere and story thus far, but the controls were just a pain in the rear end. You rapidly alternate between manipulating a static camera and running around a space station - I want an inverted Y for movement but not the camera. Several other games allow for this, but not this game. Pair that with the controls being intolerable sluggish for the camera and ridiculously sensitive for free movement and I ended up getting a refund.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines.

This is true up until the last 25% of the game in which you're hosed if you can't fight off legions of sewer beasts.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

food court bailiff posted:

It would be, except the modern Hitman games are littered with game modes where you can’t save and/or only get one attempt, so glitches like that are less “haha” and more “oh poo poo I hope I didn’t ruin literally my only chance at this Elusive Target mission”.

Ugh, that sounds awful. Why on earth would you make a single-attempt quest like that? At least make it a challenge mode you can opt into.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Len posted:

Elusive Target missions are unique, as they only appear once, and if the mission ends in any way, other than restarting, they cannot be attempted again. So far, they've appeared at a rate of roughly once every few weeks.

The target cannot be seen on the map or through Instinct Mode, but the briefing gives mediocre clues about their location and antics, which mostly consist of background. The level can also be modified during the mission to seal off certain areas that are available during normal gameplay, and can also contain extra guards.

That seems fine then...

Len posted:

When a new target is added to the game, players only have a limited time (initially ca. 48 hours, though the norm has since become a whole week) to compete in the mission, or it'll be lost

Oh gently caress that noise.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Len posted:

I mean I haven't played it but there's a chart here that says otherwise

https://hitman.fandom.com/wiki/Elusive_Targets

quote:

On October 24th, 2017, iOi announced the return of the elusive targets[1] to be available for purchasers of the newly released Game of the Year Edition. This re-activation would allow players to try any elusive target that they didn't finish on the first appearance. If a target was killed or the mission was failed, they would not return.

So purchasing another edition allowed you one more, time-limited attempt, that must be completed in a specific date range. That doesn't read as 'cycles' to me.

Games can have challenges without artificially upping the difficulty by adding real life calendar restrictions. God forbid I have something do to in the 48 hours the mission is available.

Its okay for people to dislike something in a game that you don't have an issue with. Its weird to white knight for a game you haven't even played because someone had a negative reaction to someone's experience in the game.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I’ve always wanted a Pokémon-themed Harvest Moon-style game. Looks like some Early Access game on Steam called Re:Legend is trying to do that but with original monsters, hopefully that turns out good when it’s complete

There's about a million mods for Stardew Valley that you should check out.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HaB posted:

- I have yet to find a game where Hunger / Thirst adds anything good to gameplay. Subnautica is no exception. It adds tedium - that's it. It's not difficult to catch food or purify water - it's just annoying.

When a game gives you the option at the beginning to not have hunger/thirst mechanics, you take it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nostradingus posted:

While I appreciate that subnautica gives you the choice, by doing so they clearly admit that it sucks so why even include it

There's masochists that mod in hunger/thirst/fatigue/temperature requirements into Skyrim and that grognard demographic must be accounted for.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The real thing dragging down Gen 1 was having to go all the way into the items menu to get the bike/fishing rod out.

One thing I miss from early gens is the Item PC. There's a lot of stuff I know I want to use, but don't need/want to scroll through it when looking for exp candy or a pokeball. Let me tuck it out of the way.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cleretic posted:

Is Rimworld the game that had outright sexist character traits in the game that were found really soon after launch, or am I thinking of a different basebuilding game?

You're right.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/02/rimworld-code-analysis/

The developer later doubled down and said that science says there's no such thing as straight women or bi men.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

The Zombie Guy posted:

Jumping in on crafting chat. Yeah I know it's not dragging it down. So here's something that dragged down FO:NV for me:
Not having more expansions.

Crafting wasn't a problem for me, but repairing was just tedious. First thing I did when I replayed it was to mod that one feature out and it plays so much better.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

FF7R load times aren't terrible but there are also plenty of slow climbing between walls sequences to mask additional load screens. It's noticeable but far from the worst I've seen.

Compared to the God of War solution that has you literally running in circles in a shapeless dark void to 'mask' load times, this is nothing.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nuebot posted:

This is the only enjoyable way to play skyrim imo. The dragons have always been my least favorite part of it; I hated how they'd show up and kill every killable NPC in town because the NPCs were too stupid to not stand right in its fire breath (the vampire invasions have similar issues) and whoops there go your side quests. Also they just kind of weren't fun to fight. I'll sacrifice the ability to chat up balgruuf if it means being able to enjoy the rest of the game without hearing that dragon music, a screech and then fighting a dragon for like ten minutes before it fucks off to its special dragon tower to die that I'm not going to walk to because I was going somewhere else.

The run for your lives mod was a godsend and I don't know why that wasn't in the game from the start.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ruffian Price posted:

It's possible to play this game for a hundred hours and not realize this but this button

allows you to start from any point in the song

god damnit

Content: The difficulty jump from Expert to Expert+ is insane. Its bigger than the difference from easy to Expert to me.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Morpheus posted:

Well, that looks exhausting.

That's only because each of those cards doesn't have their own animation and sound effect like in Arena. :downs:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Gerblyn posted:

Isn’t there a mod that switches the dragon raids off? I refuseto play skyrim without the mod that turns off the Vampire raids, they drive me nuts.

There's one that makes all the non-guard NPCs go inside instead of die horrible deaths when dragons/vampires attack, which isn't perfect but it does help.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the best and worst stop-gap side-games? This is when to fill the gap between two major installments of a franchise a smaller side-game is made, usually by another studio under the same publisher, and it repurposes the same engine and a number of assets. Sometimes it's intended to release on last-gen hardware.

Positive: Borderlands TPS, Bioshock 2, Fallout New Vegas

Haven't Played: Resident Evil 3 (1999), all those later Mega Man titles on the NES, Persona 4 was made in just a year out of recycled parts and spawned a franchise. GTA: Vice City and San Andreas.

Tepid: Far Cry Primal. This game has no reason to exist when you can just play Horizon Zero Dawn instead. Final Fantasy X-2, this game has merit but it's incredibly embarrassing to be seen playing.

loving Sucks: Arkham Origins. No question about it. I played it for the first time in 2018 and it still blew. The unfixed bugs, the boring map, the wasted storyline, the missable challenges.

I beat HZD twice and then moved on to Far Cry Primal. I really liked the language aspect of it - it seemed pretty ballsy. But yeah, its a poor man's HZD.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

JackSplater posted:

Horizon: Zero dawn
Melee combat seems to be a complete waste of time outside of stealth, and stealth has a hard cap on how useful it is for killing things. Some of the mid-late machines can take upwards of four sneak attacks to kill.
Resource scarcity is only a thing in the super early game. By the time I left the tutorial area I basically never ran out of materials for anything beyond specific things needed for gear.

Play on a harder difficulty.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bussamove posted:

Subnautica Below Zero, the standalone expansion, does a lot of things wrong but the seatruck module that automatically catches and stores fish in an aquarium to eat later isn’t one of them.

This would be the place to elaborate on those.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

rodbeard posted:

The weird thing about The Last of Us's lovely plot is that a book with the exact same we need to dissect this girl to get a cure for fungus turning people into zombies plot point.

The Girl With All the Gifts executes the plot better, too.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
The Spectrum Retreat, an indie not-Portal puzzle game I got for free from Epic, nags and gives hints incessantly and instantly.

Example: In the opening, you are in a hotel restaurant. You are told in the restaurant that you need to go to the elevator. This is nearly on the other side of the hotel map and requires crossing the restaurant, ballroom, stairs, and several hallways. If you leave for the elevator immediately upon getting the instruction, you will get a voice-over nagging you no less than 3 times. It is physically impossible to get to the elevator in a short enough time to NOT trigger them.

"Did you hear me? I said to go to the elevator."
"You need to get to the elevator to continue. Its upstairs."
"What are you doing? If you can hear me, go to the elevator."

Similarly, you're in a series of hallways of doors with a lot of intricate symbols and lines on them. You are told to 'find the door that is different." Before you can lap the hallways, the voiceover nag is telling you exactly what is different and where the door is.

Giving you less than 30 seconds to navigate an unfamiliar map is obnoxious, not helpful.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

JackSplater posted:

Didn't help that at least two of them were "this is entirely dark for absolutely no reason because that's how we can jump scare you with enemies".

I mean, its p on-brand for the ocean to get loving dark in places. By that point you should have multiple light sources.

Subnautica Below Zero requires too much gold too early in the game, however.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
The instructions for the melee pit challenges in Horizon Forbidden West are utter poo poo.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Josef bugman posted:

Nah, owning the physical copy means it can't be revoked because you only rent it from the streaming service.

DRM means even physical copies can be rendered non-viable.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

credburn posted:

I started off playing MUDs, and I know what MOBs are. But I hated when MUD acronyms started seeping into non-MUD places, like MMORPGs and even first person shooters. Suddenly after playing Everquest, all my friends started referring to any enemy as a mob. I said no, sirs, that's now what a mob is. That's not what a MOB is. But friends and the Internet at large were like NO MOBS ARE ENEMIES and I felt like I was losing this battle of... whatever, it was just a naming convention that I was hoping was a fad that was going away. So fast forward like twenty years and I'm playing video games again, and I start playing Minecraft for the first time ever. My friend Melissa keeps referring to the zombies and poo poo as MOBs and I am like, gently caress what is this, I thought we were done with the MOBs thing, and I go on nagging her about ACTUALLY MOBs come from... blah blah blah, real insufferable grognard poo poo. And she's like, Dude I've never even heard of a MUD I'm just telling you what the game tells me. And I'm like, well the loving GAME doesn't call them MOBs and she's like ACTUALLY IT DOES and gently caress, it does. So in summary, what's bringing a lot of games down for me appears to just be me :mad:

I'm imagining you running away from quest givers in MMORPGs because they have exclamation marks and those meant something else in Metal Gear Solid and gently caress an understanding of how context changes amirite

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Playing VTM Swansong and its been aight so far, except now I am trapped in a room with apparently no way out. I need to open a door. According to every guide, there are two routes to open it, one through NPC dialogue and one through a logic puzzle. Except the NPC won't talk to me and another NPC is standing in front of the logic puzzle so I can't solve it, and I can't leave the room. Restarted level, following a guide, same thing. Really sucks the atmosphere out of it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

moonmazed posted:

it's not supposed to be inspiring

This. And its only one tribe. The Carja, Oseram, Utaru, Nora, etc. have nothing to do with that.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Necrothatcher posted:

There's a big speech about fighting against indomitable odds that ends with everyone proudly saluting. Seems intended to be inspiring to me.

The speech that pushes them to be less militaristic is proof that the writers idolize the militaristic tribe? I don't think you can have it both ways.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
At least the drop rate on fox skins and goose feathers is higher than the original

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

credburn posted:

All of my favorite games for some reason have segments where you must stop what you're doing and calm a baby down.

...how many games is that a mechanic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Frank Frank posted:

Ah come the gently caress on, Forbidden West. How the gently caress are you going to stick me a room away from GIANT MUTANT 1000 YEAR-OLD TED FARO and then have him killed off-screen without me even getting to see him. What the gently caress? Why?

I am genuinely angry at whoever made this game for doing that. It seems like it was a choice made to deliberately antagonize the player who wants nothing more than to kill Ted Faro

I'm glad. For one, whatever we imagine is going to be way grosser than what they show. For another, it was already bad to include him, Ted, King rear end in a top hat at all. The horror of his evil was that he would never get his comeuppance as he was safely ensconced in the past. Showing us his mutated form and letting Aloy kill him would have been far too much.