Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The Sims 3: why is there no option to disable the opening cutscene? I don't mean the three unskippable ones (EA logo, Maxis logo, The Sims 3 logo), but the actual opening cutscene which can and will always be skipped. Right now, if I launch the game and go grab a drink or to the bathroom, when I come back it's still the middle of the opening cutscene, and then I have to manually skip it and wait until the main menu loads. It would be much better if I could just launch the game, go grab a drink, and come back to the already loaded main menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

I'm guessing its the same reason Civ 5 Vanilla had an unskippable cutscene: They're trying to hide a loading bar behind the cutscene. Which is stupid. Just show me the bar so I can see how long I have to wait, instead of forcing me to mash the spacebar or escape key the entire time.

I don't think this is the case, since it takes the exact same time to load the main menu if you skip the cutscene as it takes if you let the cutscene run its course (yes I'm a big enough :spergin: to have timed this shut up).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

The boss fights could only be beaten by combat even though the rest of the game offered multiple paths and ways of achieving your objective. It's not even a matter of difficulty. I played on the hardest mode on a stealth run and still had enough combat skills to beat the bosses without too much stress. It was just a letdown that they only had one way to be beaten.

Play the Director's Cut version, it solves this problem. There are many ways to beat each boss now.

(However, the Director's Cut comes with a thing dragging it down of its own, namely that it forces you to play through the terrible Missing Link DLC.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Hobo By Design posted:

The special DNA was dumb. "Are augs a good thing?" is a dumb question for the player when there is no downside to sweet robo-arms.

For the player maybe, but there are really deep discussions going around in real life with the whole concept of transhumanism.

Consider these questions:

- Would you get a robo-arm if you had lost your actual arm?

- Would you cut off your arm to get a robo-arm?

Pretty big difference, even if there are no downsides to augs.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Been playing the Dishonored DLCs since they were on sale on Steam.

Random enemy chatter is repetitive. Could the sound bites get any worse?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I've been replaying Deus Ex Human Revolution and it annoys me to no end how the game rewards stealth gameplay much more than non-stealth gameplay.

Both gameplay styles are viable, but: if I take down NPCs non-lethally I get experience for the takedown and for being non-lethal and for doing it without them noticing, and if I get through an area without being spotted I get extra experience for doing so. If however I want to go in guns blazing I get experience for taking down the NPCs and maybe for them not noticing me for the first enemy, but I can forget the extra non-lethal experience and stealth experience and ghost experience. As a result a stealth character levels up much more quickly than a non-stealth character.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

As do V, VI and VII.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Futuresight posted:

VII does not.

Yes it does. Sephiroth summons Meteor to wound the Planet, planning to gather all the life energy the Planet uses to heal itself and use it to turn himself into a god; you kill Sephiroth and put a stop to his plan, but Meteor is still incoming; through the intercession of Aerith's spirit, the Planet recognizes that hey, maybe letting Meteor smack into itself is bad, and uses the life energy to summon Holy, which stops Meteor, and after that all's well.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

It also recharges on its own as long as you're on the ground, but yeah, the only drainable source is DUPs. But gently caress that power, smoke is the best one :colbert:

That's a funny way to spell neon.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Jeesis posted:

I Played 5 hours of huniepoop according to steam and this was about the only real funny thing in it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcGPYxpPt6Q

...Why isn't :sever: an option in that dating sim? It looks like it should be an option.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

In Zelda BOTW those lion centaur things can go eat a thousand bags of dicks. I've been grinding my face against one of them for days and I think I'll have to leave, level up a bit my life meter and cook lots of things, and then come back. In a game that had so far shown a smooth difficulty curve, this is a super huge spike for which I was 100% not prepared.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

GTA:SA is fine up until the very end where CJ is guilted into getting back into the gang life.

I never finished San Andreas because the build-up to the final mission requires you to conquer lots of territory for your gang to draw the bad guy out of hiding, and I hated that gameplay mechanic with a fiery passion. "Hey here's a game where you can do all sorts of dumb poo poo! It's awesome! Except for that one mechanic that requires you to stand in an area and have enemy waves come at you! Now guess what mechanic you have to grind before you're allowed to play the final mission!"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Aaaaaaauuugh, this actually gave me flashbacks :gonk:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Whenever you're defeated in the final battle against Bowser in Super Mario Odyssey, you end up at the very start of the whole sequence. So you have to walk down a corridor, into a hall, then watch (or skip, thankfully) two cutscenes, before you can fight the big guy again. It takes maybe a minute, tops, to get back to it, but it seriously breaks the flow. Just put me back directly into the fight, please.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Morpheus posted:

That's pretty much Skyrim's sorta thing though - it's a vast game where you can a ton of stuff, but all the stuff is extremely shallow and has no bearing on anything. There's no depth to any aspect of the game, but there's a ton of it so it doesn't stand out as much as it should.

"Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle" is kinda Bethesda's Thing nowadays.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Like I get ghouls aren't really human anymore, but I think 220 years of solitude would destroy someone's mental state.

I dunno, it's only 2,2 Marquez, it's not that much.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Zelda BOTW devs, do I really have to root into my bag for the correct ingredients and combine them in the pot every time I want to make a food or potion? Seriously? What about having a way, once I know a recipe, to make several of them in quick succession without the hassle?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I honestly do not get the appeal of Kingdom Hearts. Though that may be from meeting one person offline who was into it, and he was the patron saint of being greasy and offputting.

But that sounds really dumb and a waste of time.

The Kingdom Hearts is a series of perfectly fine-to-good games on the technical and gameplay standpoint. It's the whole story and "lore" that reaches always-expanding :psyduck: levels.

e. I must add, the majority of the :psyduck: was added by the sequels/prequels. Kingdom Hearts 1 had a straightforward story which was retconned and complicated afterwards.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

It's complicated. If you have half an hour to throw away, this video gives a summary of the "plot" and "lore" of this disaster franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

More like oldpenniless.