Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Action Tortoise posted:

Someone mentioned it in the thread. No one can have a sane discussion over this particular game so we all patiently wait for the inevitable Dr. Who war cry and, well, the thread starts looking like this:

until everyone gets it out of their system.

Dark Souls chat never got this ugly in this version of the thread. People walked on eggshells talking about DS2 here back then because we all remembered how stupid the discussion got and never wanted to fall back into that cesspit.

Fallout for some reason brings out the worst in people.

You're being unreasonable. Please post about fallout dragging a baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

Computer games can only account for so many outcomes and it's harder for AAA games to pull it off than isometric games because the former have to spend more resources on visuals and having accessible/engaging controls where a game with sprites can fill more of the blanks with text that's easy to edit and pad out.

poptart_fairy posted:

there are quite a few weird people who get unreasonably angry when a game doesn't cater to their very specific backstories, and judging a game on that basis is pretty unfair. Triple A budgets can only go so far.

Exactly! I mean all fallout games (and most crpgs in general) give you the character creation screen, and that's about the extent of the roleplaying you'll be doing. You wanna be a punchdude and call yourself M. Bison, you can do that but it just relates to how you will approach combat. Your choices are do the quest or don't do the quest with an occasional a and b ending. The [get thingamajig] and [kill big bad] is what you're gonna do if you play a fallout game. When they try to add flavor to the story like in the best game ever Fallout 4 I can only appreciate it considering what we had before.

There are MMOs with RP servers out there for you, don't drag my post nuclear baby hunt simulator down.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Byzantine posted:

In F4, you are male soldier or female lawyer. "Can I be male lawyer?" No, sorry, triple A budgets only go so far. Honestly, the budget was so thin we can't even explain why a lawyer has power armor training. The bar must be an absolute bitch in 2077.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Sleeping Dogs

I like the general premise of the undercover cop John Woo style hong kong crime drama, but since the game is less sandboxy compared to GTA and Saints Row games I'd expect there'd be more of a hook in the story for you to feel more involved with the main character. It's a shame because the voice acting is really good throughout, but there's no motivation for Wei to continue this incredibly dangerous undercover cop thing as the whole HKPD keeps making GBS threads on him. If it was more like Fallout 4 where they take your baby and Wei would have to rise through the ranks to find out the baby is now grown up and the head of the triads I'd like it a lot more.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Barudak posted:

Resident Evil 6, why are your levels insanely long? Like just split them up into thirds, theres no reason a stage should be over an hour and a half long and within it have multiple level transitions, cool down areas, and boss fights.

Not only are the levels long but they feel even longer. The boss fights and setpieces overstay their welcome every time. The slav-land boss fight with the big hulk monsters especially dragged on for so long I never want to play that game again. And once you beat a boss fight you have to watch the fallout four ten minutes because yeah let's discuss this monster #78 and what we've learned today.

Vic has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Jul 14, 2017

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Hel posted:

You know that saving to Documents or %APPDATA% and not the game folder has been standard on windows for over a decade right? It's only recently that indie games without installers have been bringing back same folders saves. But really if you want to solve that you can have windows relocate the Documents folder to another drive if you want. Having all saves in one place makes it a lot easier to find them instead of having to dig around on a game to game basis.

This is the correct solution to this. Nothing like shaking your C: drive with spacesniffer and have 4gigs of saves fall out.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

The problem with Diablo 3 is that it's easy and boring for part of the game and pointless for the rest. Combined with the specificity of builds needed for higher torment it really kills the fun of hunting for new its and playing with your abilities.

You can comfortably reach torment 10 with any lvl 70 set you pick for any character you pick, with uniques that play into the same skills. I'd agree it becomes pointless once you get to play with all the items for the class but then you have 6 more classes to play with so if you like the feel of D3 you have hundreds of hours there while listening to podcasts or something while you make numbers go up. I had the same set fall out 4 times in a row and started bitching until I realized D2 was much more grindy.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I never played Diablo 2 past Nightmare, but I enjoyed it more anyway because the main quest content was more interesting and it could reasonably challenge you.

Diablo 3 story mode is terrible and boring and I wish they made adventure mode free. I liked Diablo 2 more also, and the story is much better even today, but also I was a kid back then and that clicky game genre was pretty new. There are like 4 games out every fall with the same spin.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

For people who didn't play d3 recently, the idea is you own Reaper of Souls and play adventure mode where you do challenges in each act that after completing reward you with loot and crafting materials.
After you get that you can recraft your gear to better suit your needs, change magic attributes to better fit whatever skillset you chose.
Levelling still goes on in the paragon system infinitely.
Loot equals your build. There are 6-7 item sets for each character that basically boost certain skills to insane levels requiring you to pick other skills to play into those.
Over the course of one play session you're pretty much guaranteed to get a set item drop, which you can rejigger in the cube into another item of that set to minimize the grind.
Uniques are more about getting a new ability or removing a cooldown to an ability
The thorns crusader I've been playing for example had a constant rain of barrels full of spikes which thanks to a unique item activated every 5 seconds by itself.

4 of the 6 set items I got as a reward for playing the season for a little bit. It's the least grindy feeling game about grinding.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Dewgy posted:

Finding out the prince was dead in D1 and used as a sacrifice was just so depressing and scary and genuinely sad, where the big reveal of Hakan II being Belial is basically played like a Scooby Doo villain pulling off the mask, when it really should be just as hosed up and bleak.

The whole story is like a saturday morning cartoon complete with the whole act 3 being all "ha ha ha you and your puny catapults can't defeat me nephalem" followed by "ha ha ha you might have defeated my army commander but you're no match for me" which repeats like three more times up until you kill the act boss. And then bam act 4 where boob diablo goes "you can't defeat me mortal ha ha ha". It was super grating the first time I've played through the story and the game insisting on just cramming this down your throat constantly because more content. Act 5 is the same but a bit closer to the Diablo 2 story feel. Of course the color scheme is black and bright blue/purple because blizzard universe is color coded and death is a cool edgy robedude but the scenery and music direction was pretty okay. Of course you can ignore all that as your Tuollaf the 4th thunderfarts through the game on the second playthrough.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Stealing innocents' cars and shooting prostitutes is entirely on you in today's open world games, though. You can go out of your way to do it but it doesn't mean that's the gameplay.

It's funny that people have a problem with this in open world games because it was totally them doing that thing and get upset the game allowed them to. It's like when they take your baby and you don't go looking for it right away.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Fallout 4 is the best game posted:

Yeah I picked up on the adventure mode thing pretty quick, but like. They could just put what you said as the actual adventure mode description and it'd be 100% better. I'm really enjoying it though. I only went with the season because it promised me a free armor set and by "clear act I, II and III" I thought it meant story mode, not random achievements.

Yeah there's bounties, rifts, greater rifts, keywardens and then season journey that grants you the armor set and unique pets and poo poo. The season is in no way for speedrunners only - it's a great incentive to come back and play again (you keep your stuff and paragon xp you gained each season for your account)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Hel posted:

Modern games always limit that stuff to like 3 zombies that live for 20 seconds or something and that's if they even let you have more than one.

spit on my clit posted:

31 concurrent summons

Hel posted:

That's still not even close to the permanent 20 Skeletons+ 20 skeleton mages + 1 golem+ 20 timed revives you could have in D2

Even if you were right that's some :colbert:ing right there

In Diablo 2 you could raise 8 skeletons and 8 mages max. That's 16 + golem. You wouldn't raise enemies because that skill was useless and they would live for like 20 seconds and would be only be useful as a gimmick if there were 8 players with you on map. Oh an you wouldn't play summonmancer before patch 1.10 because before synergies the skeletons were useless in hell.

You're way off

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Agent355 posted:

No, it was 20+20 back when it was first launched. It didn't become 8 max until later and people absolutely played it.

I know people played it but it wasn't viable in the late game. Like you hit a wall difficulty-wise and had to create another build. Also even after 1.10 your main damage output was the teeth spell.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You wouldn't be able to beat bosses on normal but I digress. D3 has this poo poo figured in regards to summoning characters. All characters in d3 have a zoo style build :toot:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Captain Lavender posted:

I guess it's not really the place to ask, but does anyone have their own gimmick build or way of playing that's really satisfying? Like if I heard throwing explosives exclusively could work, I'd probably try that; that kinda thing.

I got you. I'm just gonna list some fallout 4 perks here:

Pain Train at lvl1 STR 10 Choo Choo! All aboard! While wearing Power Armor,sprinting into enemies hurts and staggers them. (Robots and oversized enemies are immune to the stagger.)
Pain Train at lvl3 STR 10 Sprinting into enemies while wearing Power Armor now causes massive damage and knocks them down. Impact landing near enemies inflicts even more damage.

Rooted at lvl3 STR 9 While standing still, you may automatically disarm enemies that use melee weapons against you.

Those are all high level perks so it's kinda like taking candy from a baby that was stolen from you.

In NV you either go melee for similar but more varied experience but explosives are easy to abuse on really low level. Otherwise it's shootymctooty.

F4 EDIT:
Big Leagues at lvl5 STR 2 You now do double damage with a melee weapon, and gain a chance to cripple your opponent, or grand slam their head clean off!

Vic has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Jul 26, 2017

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

New Vegas does a really good job making Unarmed a viable playthrough for everything in the game but there was one part where there's a guy up on a ledge in a destroyed church that you cannot physically get to and is too far away for your VATS teleport to reach him.

Also a lot of the really powerful Unarmed perks require you to sink a bunch of skill points into Melee and other completely unrelated skills in a way that is pretty clumsy and counter-intuitive without a guide.

That's fallout 3 (the church sniper part). And unless you really don't want to use firearms at all ever, using a gun to kill stuff is super easy since you've been saving so much ammo.

Vic has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Jul 26, 2017

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Captain Lavender posted:

Thanks y'all

This especially sounds amazing. New Vegas actually sounds like the type of game where intentionally crippling your build would be rewarding.

It's gonna be the same game, it's a player imposed challenge. Fun if you're into that kinda thing.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

I'll be over here crying into my giant pile of unplayed games that I bought from people who aren't weird autists who think they're above basic commerce.

What's basic commerce? Are you one of those people who'll buy an item for more money if it says 15% off?

ur dum

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Not singling out any particular game in this regard so much as a trend I've noticed in an awful lot of games in the last several years, especially fantasy games: games, it's not a shock anymore if the primary religion of your world is secretly evil, their leadership is corrupt, they're worshiping eldritch horrors, or what they're worshiping is actually something quite mundane and their beliefs are woefully misguided.

At this point, what would be a shock would be a religion that actually is the force of good it proclaims itself to be and has no dirty secrets to uncover.

Sounds like all jrpgs to me.

Another trope is you being an orphan of some sort or the ever present "you and me are not that different" poo poo every main villain pulls.

No fucker i'm killing your mooks because they're burnin' rapin' and pillagin' and also you killed my parents!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'm still waiting for a game that does that villain speech and your character instead of contemplating goes: "Wrong." *fires shotgun*

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Two worlds was brought up as the reason why open world bethesda games are poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeR-bT3uv0

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Gitro posted:

A bunch of villagers forming a mob to beat the final boss up is a better ending than most RPGs out there tbh

Two Worlds is beautiful and perfect and wonderful

I'm not disagreeing

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Considering damage is almost always unavoidable in ARPGs, I don't get why all modern ARPGs rely so heavily on massive burst damage and rapid healing to be the gear/level gate. You can pull that poo poo off in a game like Bloodborne or Dead Cells because those games have super nimble characters. Diablo-likes are super sluggish and fat and so taking damage isn't the issue, but rather than long-haul resource management and balancing your mitigation for the long-term it's always a crazy zigzag of damage and healing and getting hit by CCs and then using cooldowns to instantly negate them. So, if you are in an area you're not geared for, you just die immediately to poo poo you can't avoid and it feels so dumb.

The worst is in Torchlight 2, where all damage resistance was a flat numerical reduction, so if you got hit by an attack it either would do no damage or kill you. But pretty much everything past Diablo 2/Sacred/Titan Quest has that problem in spades.

Diablo 3's got you covered as every character has one or more mobility skills. Especially at higher torments it'll require you to use them, because most character builds won't be able to just resist & outheal the damage spikes. It's fun to build a glass cannon build in earlier torment levels just focusing on max damage output and using those movement skills, because it's more involved and you can just blink your way through the fools in no time flat while they're finishing their dying animations already offscreen.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

kazil posted:

Real thing dragging Phantom Pain down is why the gently caress would anyone do a mission during the day time? It's bullshit. "Hey I can see you from a mile away gently caress face."

There is no difficulty slider. You can either get dropped off with minimal gear and procure on site remembering the basics of CQC and fulton fools up no matter if it's day or night, or you can play the bitch rear end helicopter taxi simulator which brings me to my next point

Nuebot posted:

The real problem is why would anyone not use the dog as their partner. You think that guy spotted you from a mile away? Dog already saw him two miles away and now he's dead.

You can't ride that dog, and that dog has limited bark up range. Scout poo poo up and it stays marked, do your stuff and then while running away, whistle on your horse which comes running alongside you so you can jump on it mid gallop.

You're both rookies not even worth fultoning.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Why would I want to ride the dog when I can pet him instead? The only use I had for the horse was to park it in front of tanks in that one convoy tank mission so I could go fulton all of the tanks when they stopped because there was a horse on the road. Also no need to ride a horse when you can just steal a jeep and ride it anywhere.

Your jeep can't jump over obstacles, turn 180 quickly, traverse narrow moutainous terrain, nor you can summon it by whistling to, again, come running alongside you so you can jump on it mid gallop.

I love dd but she's a Disability Assistance Dog

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Dark Souls I finally gave it an honest try and strated to actually enjoy the game. But gently caress the camera. It was bad enough with the capra demon, but right now im in Anor Londo, the Fatguy/Lightning spear dude bossfight and the camera constantly fucks me over when im locked on because they jump around and swing my camera into a pillar or a wall and im looking at the back of my dumb helmet or someones giant gold plated crotch.

Is it better in later games?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I beat them without solaire and the best/worst thing was that each time I was so close but made a panic roll in the wrong direction every loving time

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I finished Dark Souls and thought I was done with the series. Even though I really loved the game as a whole, the falling deaths and the fucky camera screwing me over in big opponent fights kinda soured it. But the game is great and I'll probably replay it.

But a friend of mine bought me DS3 so I gave a shot and man I don't like the emphasis on rolling in this game. DS1 was slower and more methodical, this one is more fluid but even though I'm making steady progress I don't feel like what I'm doing is calculated on my part exactly. I'm in the swamps right now and up to this point all opponents got owned by me rolling like a spaz and then slashing their butt a bunch of times on repeat. You can't afford to be in front of them too much because all opponents will just shred you. There are many more tough guy opponents now that'll tank a bunch of damage while dishing out more, and they won't disappear forever like they used to in DS1. They counteract this with rolling being less expensive and more frequent bonfires but that aint making me like the fighting more. I'll probably finish it because I love the worldbuilding but I feel like they fixed things from 1 that didn't need to be fixed and added a bunch of mandatory rolling.

Also gently caress pvp it's always some guy with a long reach weapon on fire and due to lovely internet I'm fighting this rolling idiot who's getting hit a second later after my swing, so I don't know whether to continue combos or I'm missing backstabs and parries. I just wanna play with my friend who's not that good at dark souls either and I have 2 embers left.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Resident Evil 6 managed to get boring even with the co-op mode. I mean all games are just better when you're playing with a friend, drinking beers and making fun of the RE storyline. But not RE6, that game's just a fun drain. It's long too, so if you wanna complete it you're gonna watch things explode endlessly for what feels like decades.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Eh, stuff you can listen to while sneaking is much better than being forced to watch talking heads.

Yeah especially when the dialogue was people throwing exposition at snake who'd ocassionally go "nanomachines huh"

Granted the tapes in mgs5 were kinda bland but that's the material they were working with.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Tim Burns Effect posted:

My man have you ever heard of a little thing called Monkey Kombat?

eek oop chee

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I am also bad at pushing buttons. Such is life

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I use arrow keys on the keyboard to move in fps games.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Tunicate posted:

The three-key maximum input generally makes platforming on a keyboard a pain in the rear end.

#notallkeyboards

Seriously tho this isn't true of most modern keyboards.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You're the shittiest Watson to his Sherlock

EDIT: You're the Watson who came up with no poo poo sherlock

Vic has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Nov 9, 2017

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Tunicate posted:

It's been true of every keyboard I've used in the last 20 years, including the one I bought last year I'm typing on right now.

What kind are you using?

The feature is called n-key rollover or anti-ghosting. Most non-basic keyboards should have this feature. You're looking at $40 keyboards and up.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Kaincypher posted:

Tried Resident Evil 7 for the first time. Was wary after 5-6 were hot garbage. Should have known. I like the switch over to first-person, but the controls are garbage. Fighting the first moss-leech-whatever enemies and then the hillbilly dad sucked so hard. I've finally got "full control" over a player character, but he moves like he's taken a fresh dump in his pants at the office Christmas party. Constantly. Hey, there's a pscyho-billy weirdo with a chainsaw coming right for us. What can we do? Well, I can eat it and die, block and still take significant damage for a long-haul boss fight, or backpedal at a slower speed than when I'm crouched-walking. What a bunch of poo poo. Look, zombies and moss/leech/whatever monsters aren't "realistic" but having the normal human protagonist move at speeds so hosed up even Michael J. Fox would be pissed is just bullshit. Make the game difficult because I failed to have skills to match the bad guys, don't make my characters so crippled in normal movement I end up destroying controllers because I'm mashing reverse at max and my guy is moving at proto-slug pacing. This would be less onerous if I didn't know how actual people move. But anyone playing paintball/airsoft/actual gunplay know that people can move in reverse pretty darn fast, even if that trashes their aim (which, would actually make sense). Otherwise, it's just a frustrating gameplay move to have me lose against Hillbilly Dad a zillion times with a weapon I've never used before (chainsaw)... oh, and I've got a zillion healing herbs but since I can't quickheal without chems they might as well be gently caress-all. I hope that refund goes through because gently caress all that noise.

I get a feeling you're not a big fan of survival horror games. Limited controls are a staple of the genre. But the problem here seems to be you didn't figure out you can run and quickturn?

Did you repeatedly just slowly back up from threats "destroying controllers" while your character is faster than anything in that game?

Because that's hilarious

Vic has a new favorite as of 09:51 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Kaincypher posted:

I love the internet, especially SA. It's just so predictable. Hey, we've got a thread about what's dragging a game down. OK, well, how about lovely movement from a series of games I've been playing from over 20+ years? Nah man, Vic says you should be able to run from a boss who's entire kill-box is about ten to fifteen square feet. Again, in which you cannot run or escape from. Fortunately, they've got a singular pillar the in the boss fight you can hide behind. Sadly, he can destroy it anyway and you're back to square one. Nah, Vic says you just a bitch. Oh, OK. Well, you got me. I'll continue to play both FPS games, survival horror games, etc. that simply don't assume that the actual challenge is the enemies, it's the protagonist's inability to move as much or as able as a typical human. When the character is some sort of soldier/cop/whatever it's only that much more pathetic when they can't outmaneuver just about everything.

The newest Killing Floor, Silent Hill, Resident Evil 1-4 (especially 4, which was amazing), Dead Space series and another handful of 3rd-person/FPS/survival-horror games were a treasure. Sorry again that the protagonist from RE7 moves like a sloth on Quaaludes. That might make the game harder, but only artificially so. Might as well make the next FPS only for left-handed shooters with rickets, and bitch about players that don't get the "aesthetic."

I was just trying to figure out what boss fight is giving you so much trouble because I'm bad with controllers and I breezed through the game. Like the game's balanced around your movement and similarly to classic resident evil (you know the game where you couldn't both run and turn or shoot while moving) all the enemies are slow and you're not supposed to fight them all and save ammo. Boss fights go through stages so IIRC with some boss fights you're not supposed to just DPS them. If you wanna be more specific maybe someone would help you.

I guess you're trying to be hyperbolic about it for goofs but I'm picturing a caveman like figure punching the TV screen yelling "JUMP! JUMP! loving IDIOT GET OUT OF THERE!" while stomping the controller.