Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«6 »
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I'll grant you that I might be being a bit unfair to OoT (it's still a fantastic game, and the fact the dungeons don't make in-universe sense is honestly very minor), but that actually did make sense. The game made a very, very big point of demonstrating that the Iron Boots made you as heavy as a Goron. The Gorons don't need the Iron Boots to use those switches, because they're already heavy dudes.

Didn't the TP Iron Boots involve some walking on magnetic walls/ceilings puzzles, though? TP was better about making the dungeons makes sense from the outside world but it got video game-y as gently caress once you were actually inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

I have to say, I like Metal Gear Rising less the more I read goons talking about it.

Senator Armstrong might've been mildly entertaining if the entire internet hadn't ruined him for me by the time I got to play the game.

(gameplay's still fun though)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Left click to do the action you'll be doing more often than right click--which is far more context sensitive--makes perfect sense actually.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

Was there ever a reason as to why the clothing customization options were dropped from ORAS, that was literally the best feature of X/Y and is something that really drags the game down for me that it's gone.

There was some super dumb excuse thrown out about how they wanted some features to stay unique to some regions to keep the regions more memorable.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

I don't get it.

First letter of each word.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Len posted:

I love that complaint. "Using these abilities trivializes everything! Too easy!" Why use them then?

People don't like having to intentionally avoid useful obvious strategies, it's straight up bad game design.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Len posted:

And what's the excuse for Skyrim? How many times has "It's too easy to break the game." been posted in here?

Elder Scrolls games are far more about player empowerment and open-world exploration than providing strategic challenges, like SMT and EO games.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

IIRC, the book of revelations forces a horseman to be the boss.

This isn't the case with Rebirth(don't remember the original enough to say one way or the other). It increases the odds of them showing up but hey, that still gives you another avenue to get bad RNG

On top of all that there's also Conquest who can spawn instead of War, dropping the White Pony instead of one of the two necessary items

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

And to everybody else: if you feel any emotions at all besides "gently caress yeah I killed that evil baddie" or "aw man i died", in a video game you are the autist. Jesus christ go outside more.

can we please officially retire 'autistic' as an insult now that we're at the point where 'having empathy for fictional characters' is being labeled as autistic, which is stupid for like 3 different reasons

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

If you're after a roguelike, Crawl's default skill setting relates XP allocation to activity.

Of course no one ever actually uses that setting because just choosing what skills your XP gets allocated to is so much more efficient

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

You can throw gear into your armoury chest in the inn room with the only penalty being that the spirit bonding will be reset to 0.

You can only do that with specific gear, stuff like holiday equipment or subscription awards or AF1 armor.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

I feel like exploration games reveal something hypocritical about myself. I'm all for games trying new and experimental techniques to convey experiences and tell stories but besides Thirty Flights of Loving I've never purchased one because I'm not sure if I wanna put money down on something that doesn't have a "gamey" (any form of interaction besides walking around a space and inspecting objects) aspect to it and Thirty Flights was only $5 at launch. It's a value for dollars issue with me, I guess.

Gone Home has piqued my interest from time to time.

it doesn't seem that hypocritical to me to appreciate that unique experimental things can exist for those people who enjoy them without being that into them yourself

(at least I hope it's not because I feel pretty similiar)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Gaige is awful because her only good damage skill is Anarchy, and Anarchy is a stupid mess. Not only does it have that weird reloading penalty, but in order to use it you have to build up a ton of stacks of it and not die. So if Gaige dies you have to run around for like twenty minutes minimum to be able to do enough damage to deal with any high-level threats.

Meanwhile, a bunch of other classes can hand out even more damage, without the accuracy penalties or weird requirements, anytime they want. Gaige might be the worst-designed character in the game, which is a shame because she'd be pretty interesting. Left tree doesn't scale into high levels, middle tree is just straight-up useless, right tree is built around the flawed Anarchy mechanic.

wait so is gaige the only character that majorly pigeonholes what weapon type you should be using? she's the only class i really put any time into and the anarchy mechanic eventually soured me on playing any more because literally all gaige wanted were shotguns with 1 or 2 ammo per reload and i like switching between weapons alot in fpses but playing her meant i had 2 or 3 empty weapon slots at all times

if any of the other classes are better about this i'd probably give the game another chance

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

there should be a hint guy in every town but i haven't replayed earthbound recently enough to say for sure

that being said earthbound is a game where you should look at a walkthrough real quick once you get stuck; it's not a game you play because of the combat or the 'puzzles', you play to see the next goofy fun thing

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I gave up when I hit 45 and someone told me that I had "hours" of questing left to do before I could even enter the level 45 dungeon.

assuming you mean dzemael darkhold the level 44 dungeon it's a completely optional dungeon unlocked by getting high enough in your grand company, you just do various poo poo you'd be doing anyway or turning in items to gain company seals and spend them on promotions

(also it's not even that fun a dungeon so you're not missing much )

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

does the tutorial mission help at all or is it just worth it to go in blind and see what happens? I've had this on my hd for a while but I feel like I'm trying to unfold a road map in my car while someone's giving me directions when I play the tutorial.

the tutorial mission helps with the super-duper basics but you'll probably still be kinda lost to alot of major mechanics with just that

standard advice for new people is to play as the duke of mumu on ireland at the default start date; ireland is a very isolated area so you can start small and managable without having to worry about big fuckers like france or the holy roman empire breathing down your neck

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

There is (or was) a monster in D&D that was supposed to be a lemur (a kind of monkey) but was spelled wrong so it was turned into a slime monster, or something.

you might be thinking of a magic card that was named 'lemure' which was some kind of spirit in greek myth but the artist thought it was referring to the furry animal so they drew a deadly lemur instead

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Fallout 4 was ridiculously popular and well-liked just about everywhere on the internet that normal people go, just like Skyrim and Fallout 3 and Oblivion. It's time to accept that you haven't been Bethesda's target audience for over a decade and move on.

moving on from bad video games is basically the exact opposite thing this thread is about

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

I really don't know how people dislike it, it's a real cool system. Like it's not even "Good or Bad" in a lot of cases, hell pretty much all of the "non-lethal" ways to take out the big conspirators are much, much worse than just running them through, the very first one sets the tone of that pretty well. First big guy you reach is Campbell the High Overseer, the big boss of the sorta national cult. Now you can make sure he just gets flat out dead a couple ways, or you can knock him out, drag him into one of their headquarters little torture rooms, then brand his face with a big ole hot iron, which marks him as a heretic and will pretty much get you shunned and exiled, even if you're the bossman himself. If you do this, the sorta loudspeaker news will talk about how he's been cast out and later on you can even find him in the flooded district of the city, the poorest and most messed up part of the place, brain fried and insane from catching the plague.

i think the high chaos stuff clashed with some people because of hang-ups with Bad Endings in games by conflating 'endings where bad things happen' with 'endings where the game is punishing me, the player by depriving me of content for not doing things the right way'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Digirat posted:

This was discussed in the dishonored 2 thread. The idea behind chaos making everything worse is not that every little bad thing you see specific to high chaos is a direct result of your actions (which would mean the "bad ending" is your fault), but rather that the game is changing the tone of the story to fit your actions. If the story told by what the player does is "a fuckton of people are getting violently killed" then the game tells a darker story for you. Which is a very clever way to keep things tonally consistent in a game where the player could behave in very different ways.

my first dishonored 1 run will always be magical to me because i killed a fuckton of people not out of malice or because i wanted to kill lots of peeps but because i was godawful at stealth and kept getting caught but didn't like constant reloading

so my internal narrative ended up being that corvo was just a bumbling goofball who sucked at anything more complicated than 'sword goes here, bullets go here' but the world treated him like this heartless juggernaut that murdered anything that breathed near him

(also that part where emily is drawing some hosed up picture of corvo standing over a bunch of corspes and talking about how she wants to be just like you when she grows up genuinely gave me an emotional reaction of feeling like a bad person but that's less funny)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

Thing that dragged that DLC down for me was the villain doing a "we're not so different, you and I" speech because he's willing to perform horrific medical experiments on kidnapped civilians while you're willing to kill his men who are trying to kill you. I just can't see the similarity.

mine was the weird scanner doors that just existed to hide loading

just show me a loving loading screen, it'd annoy me less

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I think I'm in the minority but I didn't care much for DQ Warriors. The enemies eventually become super damage spongy which I don't think works very well in a Musou game. It also put a lot of emphasis on grinding, which I guess is a nod to DQ. And the menu navigation was absolutely glacial.

i started playing this the other day and yeah, halfway through the mini-bosses/bosses start feeling like they have waaaaay too much HP to stay exciting

the actual gameplay is fun enough though, guess i just gotta smash my head against this giant lion fight until i eventually don't lose to attrition

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'd still playing as a hardened yakuza who's trying to win a Hatsune Miku figurine from a claw-machine.

not seeing the problem here

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

The life tank in Boomer Kuwanger's stage in Megaman X requiring you to replay the level with Boomer Kuwanger's boomerang weapon after beating him is a huge middle finger since it's the one item that makes you replay a level no matter what regardless of how you play through it. Also it's the one time they re-use an item collection gimmick since you use that same weapon to collect an E-tank in Spark Mandrill's stage.

if it's the one i'm thinking of you can do some tricky walljump shenanigans to get it w/o the boomerang

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I like clicking thumbsticks, it's got a nice tactile feel to it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

im pooping! posted:

i recall ulysses bitching about my background the whole time in lonesome road and i just clicked random responses and bludgeoned him to death with a old car bumper

your background in lonesome road is 'was a courier'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

rydiafan posted:

I prefer twin sticks to keyboard and mouse. Fight me.

wouldn't do this if i were you, all someone fighting you needs to do is circle-strafe slightly faster than your r-stick lets you turn

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

rydiafan posted:

The best way to play Hearthstone is to uninstall it and play Gwent instead.

Although Gwent isn't on mobile, which drags it down.

what's the big boobs status for gwent though? cause it sounds like it's got some work to to do get on hearthstone's level

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Len posted:

Cat unplugged the PlayStation so I finally bothered to patch Wolf 2. Go to load my game and it tells me I have to start the level over because I was playing on an old version.

What the loving gently caress could have changed in a shoot man's game?

damage of enemies, health of enemies, environment problems that can trap the player out of bounds, location of items

should i keep going

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

why call them achievements if they're not hard to get

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the only game i played where i feel like achievements actually enhanced the game in a noticeable way is eu4(and to a lesser extent ck2) because there's a lot of variety and provide a lot of potential difficulty and goals to aim for in what's otherwise a very sandbox-y goal-less game

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the translation gets better; atlus japan was basically hovering over the translator's shoulder for the real early game stuff

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

It's true. Much like the Xbox One, Mount Everest, Chinese people, Star Citizen, Doobie's Dog House, Lena Dunham, fat people, cops, Indian people, Ouya, and Bitcoin me thinking that a thread about spending years humorlessly obsessing over something you hate isn't entertaining is actually just because I secretly love the thing you're making fun of.

what thread do you think you're posting in

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tired: humorlessly hating that the president of the united states finds new ways to be an awful person on a daily basis

wired: humorlessly hating new mario doesn't jump right or skyrim is shallow or whatever

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

rodbeard posted:

Considering the huge step backwards fallout 4 was I wouldn't be surprised if the next elder scrolls, if they ever get to making one, brought back individual pauldron slots.

i'd be all for that if the inventory ui was good

(the inventory ui won't be good)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

is it worse than the smt4 map

'cause boy was that also some horeshit

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

every town has a shrine immediately next to it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

I didn't see that because I've only done the first palace and was only I think a day or two before the deadline.

The 30-second long unskippable animations after every fight are also rather annoying, as are the multiple loading screens between locations.

I feel like Persona 5 is a ten hour game that takes 100 hours to play because of all the stupid bullshit. I enjoy the plot concept, the combat, using different personas and juggling real life/phantom thieves life but the dialogue and presentation are so absolutely awful that it's making me struggle to continue.

This is the first JRPG I've played and not hated and thrown away within an hour, mind you.

protip: hold down triangle during the post-fight stuff and they'll go by faster than if you were mashing X

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

It's more like 70% Star Wars only Chewbacca is a girl in a chainmail bikini and Luke has nothing to do with the actual plot once he meets Han and Leia.

that doesn't sound like star wars at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I played 4th edition once, and from what I remember of it it seemed to be a lot better, but apparently no one liked it.

4e was a genuinely good step forward that tried to excise some of the issues that d&d had built up from past editions and leaned in on the game's original strength of tactical dungeon diving with some neat new game design ideas

so naturally the fanbase completely loving hated it and decried it as a souless WoW-clone and 5e ended up being a complete about-face back to garbage-rear end 3.5 to cater to those idiots

«6 »