Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

A gripe I have about Final Fantasy VI: Narshe and Figaro both look like really really cool places, but the game has too many characters to develop for it to spend time on world-building. It's such a wasted opportunity.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and I just don't talk to NPCs enough, who knows? I kinda hope I am!

Figaro gets some fleshing out, given two main characters position as monarch heirs, thoughts its exclusively at that desert castle.

Narshe basically only gets filler for its recent history.

Tbh ff6's world would make for a wonderful series setup in both the original esper wars, and the post kefka WoR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

High Chaos in Dishonored is definitely spun as a bad thing. They talk about by doing it you're making the plague worse because you're feeding more rats by creating corpses. Also the High Chaos ending points out that the new Empress is a blood thirsty monster because she followed your lead.

Technically the Empire is now a embargoed shutout among the world in a desperate bid to keep out the plague by other States, running to a resource crisis at full speed, and has only recently finished a year long civil war. The place is hosed with a Child on the throne regardless, at least if she has force to her words she might calm things down before her inevitable death. All endings are the bad ending.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Magic is fake and can't be used. Like, really fake. The human body no matter what mutations you throw at it can't simply project force aura or waves of fire, hell its be less useful then just throwing a Greek fire canister at them anyway. Against actual bears or men in full plate a quick bust of flames with no sustaining fuel you'd see better luck burning him to death holding a candle to his rear end. If you must have magic in your fantasy universe, a man skilled in illusion and chemistry is simply a better idea.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Nice job with your obvious and idiotic strawman, would you care to try again?

I apologize for your autism masking obvious bad jokes.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Geroge Miller is actively antagonistic to the idea of canon and timelines connecting his movies, trying to figure out the year Mad Max was born is like trying to figure out what city Babe 2 takes in place in.

Well that's obvious, its Las Vegas post climate change.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Samara and Thane are the odd ones since they are the Daddy Issues. In a future RPG I'd like to see a party-member with no emotional baggage holding them back. They're loyal to you from the get-go and they just love killing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDr9axb7X7E

I'm 100% certain you just described Zaeed.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Morglon posted:

So Vermintide. Okayish Left 4 Dead clone I can see enjoying. Eventually. For now the game still has massive flaws like:
-Completely toxic community. I've seen people snatch up and use healing items for what amounts to a scratch while you're barely holding on next to them, run off while you're still fighting specials or are getting swarmed by tons of small crap and just be dicks in general for no real reason. Playing with bots isn't really an option either since
-Bots are completely retarded. Seriously, mine got stuck walking up loving stairs a bunch of times. Stairs. That's not mentioning all the times they just stood there and looked at me while I was fighting a boss, getting stuck on other random pieces of terrain, just wandering off and not coming back, failing to help me up when I get downed and just not being much help in general.
-The loot system. Oh god the loot system. The general idea is do things on harder difficulties and snatch up bonus items during a mission and get better loot, in practice you're likely to roll like poo poo anyway, if you even get an item your class can use and that's also a weapon type you actually want to use and forget about getting trinkets that are worth a poo poo.
-Sword fighting is still as awkward as ever in first person
-The music slider. This is kind of a big one for me, it tells you outright if you turn this off you may miss some things the game wants to tell you but it might as well not because it doesn't actually turn that part off. Fight music would be grating under the best of circumstances, it's pretty much the same three notes looped over and over and it's not just the fact that it interferes with you listening to something else, it's also constantly playing on difficulties higher than normal since it plays for waves of small poo poo and specials so it's a bit like water torture eroding your will
-The banter. Your party will never. shut. the. gently caress. up. This ranges from information you actually want like telling people where potions and the like are to the outright annoying like characters calling each other out for friendly fire which isn't even a thing that's possible. I cringe every time the elf calls someone lumberfoot. Oh yeah, the elf is also Scottish for no reason.

Having written all this I feel like I should probably play something else.

-Play with goons, the Gooncave.com Teamspeak or CampingtheStairs mumble both have people who like the game and hop in and out a lot.

- 100% correct. See above.

- 200undoubleplusgood% correct. The sooner a borderlands 2 like trainer the better.

- Eh, opinions but granted. Play with a sword/board and get used to rolling Rmb to lmb to quick bash.

- haven't had problems can't comment.

-You are in the wrong mood to play Warhammer: Bad Rats 2 Edit: Also ranged/bomb FF is possible on Nightmare/Cataclysm

StealthArcher has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Nov 2, 2015

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Tracula posted:

Here's something mildly annoying.

I realized Adam Jensen and Keemstar have the same facial hair and NOW I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO UNSEE IT.

Do remember that DE:HR came out 5 years ago.

In all likelihood, Jensen did it fart earlier.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Marche's little brother gains the ability to walk- or be a warrior or mage or do other cool things- Ritz stops getting bullied for her computer paper-white hair and Mewt's mom comes back to life and his dad stops being an alcoholic and he's the guy in charge of all the judges.

And everybody else gets to be the equivalent of medieval serfs for Mewt's overlording. Nevermind that monarchs are scum and regicide is a moral good, the fantasy world deserved to be dissolved for being such a selfish focus on those three fucks at all.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

What happens in *sniff* Vegas stays in *sniff* Vegas.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

He offers nothing but free demonstrations on imitating the density of a neutron star.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Far Cry 4 and 5's best endings and stories are both the easter eggs for inaction at the start.

Prove me wrong.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

RatHat posted:

Ugh the final boss of Mario and Luigi Superstar saga is such a massive difficulty jump. I found the rest of the game piss easy and never died but this boss has already killed me 3 times. Oh and did I mention that it takes like 20 minutes to kill?

99% of the difficulty in the ethereal Cackletta fight is in the opening attack.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics had an infamous section that was very easy to gently caress yourself over if you didn't save in a second slot.

Mine was Queklain, actually, probably not the one most think of.

I beat Wiegraf first try :v:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

KH3 really is going to be a question of is Squeenix can put what theyve learned since 2006 into play.

I have my doubts.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Dewgy posted:

PYF thing dragging Overwatch down

Vic(ophant)

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Far Cry 5 is great for 5

minutes, to get the ending in the opener.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I disagree. 4X Mario. Got some really crazy potential civs in that one.

What would Fawfuls stats as a general be?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Is there a thread that's like "I'm currently playing this 10 year old game and there's no megathread for it so I will post my random ramblings about it here", that is if you have nothing particularly negative to say about it?

What should i know before i play this? In Games.

Also has a site https://beforeiplay.com

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

What were you saying...rear end?

"uuh" it's in the second image

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The part of N:A's intro that got me for years was random screen lockup, despite the game clearly still playing in the background, complete with all the sound matching my inputs.

Took me almost 18 months to bother googling to find out it was just my fault for having a 780Ti, now roll your drivers back to sometime in mid 2016 fuckboi.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Please tell me 01488 gives you an instant game over.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Super Mario Bros. (NES) The loading transition after pressing start was too boring and i compulsively removed the cartridge and shoved it up my joker body pillow.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

If OMD had made enough money Bibbity Bobbity Whoops I Forgot to Tell a Joke would be saying all the normal TD games were wrong so I don't know why anyone bothers.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Zero bl one v ten n dot exe.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

hrwah hrwah hrwah

Huhahuhahuhahuhahuhahuhahuha

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

unlocking the engraving that limits your health to 25% but boosts your damage by 100% improved the game immeasurably for me, mainly because it let you... do this properly, with the boost (and a few levels in the assassin skills, because obviously a game about assassins should require you to level up an assassin skill in order to assassinate properly). Still bloody stupid but I'd recommend any new players beeline it

Its amusing that this setup improves a lot of games. Risk of Rain 1 was much more fun on the 10% health quad damage setting.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Well blow me down!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's so seriously tedious. Let's say I die during a particular encounter X. Then I would like to have another go at X, because improving against a specific challenge is the fun part of difficulty. What I do not particularly want is having to go through the encounters A through F that are on the way to X. Those encounters are, by definition, not much of a challenge anymore, since otherwise I'd never have managed to get to X in the first place. At this point, they're just filler. And if you're using some sort of Estus system, they're tedious filler, since you're encouraged to go through them with the most defensive, passive playstyle imaginable.

Fallen Order is less bad about it than most, since its combat system actively encourages aggression and you've got enough tools to make dispatching trash enemies quick and entertaining, but holy poo poo is it a pain in slower games.

Hello to why the end of Cave Story is a worse version of all that came before.

Still loved it and the special end tho.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

It really is a setting with limited possibilities. Even New Vegas 200 years after the bombs dropping everything looks bombed out and lovely outside of a few places because thats the aesthetic people want. I wish Sawyer had been able to finish his Fallout tabletop game and published sourcebooks instead rather than having to keep continuing a loose storyline.

OWB for Hearts of Iron has kind of become the best Fallout thing in quite a while just reasons like this. Just wait till me and another goon get done shoving (western at first) Canada in.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Isn't it just a case of crouching, moving slowly and throwing grenades towards the other side of the pit to distract it?

It's supposed to be, but it never really worked, and even if it did a grenade bought you like 2-3 seconds and it would be right back to nailing you.

I wound up spamming all my grenades out, and satchels the rest while running back. Made it with 3 health.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I was cured of that particular item hoarding issue after I was diagnosed with adult ADHD and began ritalin. This probably reads like it should have a punchline but it's true

Nah that bout sums it up minus the getting treated part.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Bushmaori posted:

That article was bad and wrong though? Not about the story being overindulgent and poorly delivered crap, but in other stuff. For example, claiming you were taught shields were all overloadable (just the blue ones, easy to figure out instantly), you can run out of ammo because the game doesn't produce enemies (it always does in combat encounters), the Marauder has a minimal tell (his eyes flash green brightly and there's a noise), that you can't bait him (you can), etc. I mean I understanding not liking the game if you're not a fan of 2016, or pretty much all of Perestroika's other complaints, but that article was pretty not good.

Wow the D:E thread came here and lost its mind instead.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

YggiDee posted:

I hate the 'click the crosswalk' captchas so much. Whatever happened to the wiggly letters? I miss the wiggly letters.

And you know what, if a robot wants to play GTA so badly, maybe we should let them.

You could enter anything you wanted for the non wiggles is why. I entered poo poo for every book reading word cause gently caress you you'll get no free labour from me.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Oak trees drop apples.

Two cows can gently caress and give birth and gravity has no effect on dirt either.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Copyright was a mistake.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Leal posted:

Thing dragging down Rimworld is that its got so many mods that adds so much cool poo poo, but they're all balanced with the assumption that you're just using those mods. Namely research times. Trying to get into a little of everything just takes so long.

Scenario editor or god mode. Balance is a filthy word.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's the most literal :wtf::psyboom: moment I've had in a while, like, I'm trying to be legit here and they're just making my computer unusable for who-knows-how-many hours with no apparent way to get around it, all because I felt like trying a product made by one of the world's major tech corporations.

Because running their launcher counts as running the game and oops youre over the refund time limit.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Cyber Punk Forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Littlr Things Dragging Down: None genitalia with left ball.