Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Sardonik posted:

Going back to the Max Payne series discussion earlier, I recalled something that I think everyone, of all races, religions, political leanings, and ages can agree drags Max Payne down. Two words:

Blood. Maze.

The drug-induced, green flecks falling, subtly pulsing screen, tiny blood trails, baby crying in the background, floaty jumping physics blood maze in particular. Also the baby screams in a way that can only be described as "blood curdling" if you go to a dead end.

I've played that game several times and I still have no loving idea how to get through the maze. I love the first two Max Payne games more than any person probably should, and those mazes in the first are completely indefensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

cobalt impurity posted:

What? Except for a glitch that happens in the final boss fight only if you skip a short cutscene it's an amazing port and runs better than the original.

I have to use a 3rd party program to force the PC port of Metal Gear Rising to 1920x1080 and 60hz because I use HDMI to connect my monitor to my video card. If I don't, the UI thinks that it's a much larger resolution, and the refresh rate drops down to less than half of what it should be. Without that program running, I get a headache from playing for five minutes.

Also because the refresh rate is so hosed over HDMI, a weird form of "burn in" occurs where the codec menu gets half-overlaid on top of my monitor for about an hour or so, even after the game is closed.

I'd say that the game's inability to work properly over an HDMI cable makes it a mediocre port at best.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Brain In A Jar posted:

Valdis Story in one of the current Humble Bundles is a great metroidvania, except for the fact that there's a merchant about an hour in who sells an item, and if you buy it, it summons a superboss early and prevents you from going to the area that lets you upgrade your poo poo.

There is exactly zero indication that this item does this, and there is no way to bypass it. You just have to fight this loving boss whether you like it or not. Your fault for buying things from the shop, motherfucker

At the start of the game, after you arrive at the first town, you're told to go right. What the game doesn't tell you is that if you go left instead, and backtrack to where you fought the first boss, you get the opportunity to fight a late-game boss.

Valdis Story: Abyssal City is a bad game.

Fighting that boss is necessary for 100% completion.

These two facts may be related.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Those actually pretty much are his ages though. He's 17 when his father dies, and returns to Florence 2 years later.

I wanna say he's like 38 by the time he goes to Rome in the endgame of AC2. They keep skipping long stretches of time where he apparently does nothing but sit on his butt all day eating cheetos.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I picked up South Park: The Stick of Truth a few days ago when it was on sale and the thing dragging that game down for me is Al Gore.

Early on in the game, you can find him out in the world and he gives you a series of quests to investigate manbearpig. The first two quests aren't so bad and just involve running around the game world and using objects in specific places. But after you finish the second quest, he agrees to become your friend on Facebook and promptly starts spamming messages at you every 30 seconds or so. The game encourages you to go "de-friend Al Gore" but what it doesn't tell you is that he's the game's optional super hard boss.

You can easily become his Facebook friend in the first third of the game and be unable to defeat him until the end. Which means that every 30 seconds for more than half of the game, his face will pop up in the corner of the screen with "New Message from Al Gore" attached. You can delete the messages, but it's really loving annoying having to go into your menu every couple minutes and delete all the new messages from him.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

scarycave posted:

Someday, I hope we get a character wearing a getup made entirely of zippers.

This was one of the first results on google image for "Tetsuya Nomura zippers" and I'm pretty sure I saw this exact character in some concept art at some point.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I've been playing through the first Metroid Prime game again, and it gives you no indication if you've found all of the pickups in an area. Once I finish this next section, I'm gonna be 9 missile tanks short of maximum and have absolutely no way of knowing where those last tanks are short of consulting GameFAQs. You'd think that Nintendo would have made a change like that for the Trilogy re-release, but no such luck.

Also gently caress the ghosts and their frantic miniboss music every time you enter a bunch of rooms in the ruins. They're not hard to kill, they're just loving tedious to fight even with the x-ray visor. Most other monsters in the game have the common courtesy to stay dead for a while. Not the ghosts. You could kill a pack of them, leave out the doorway, turn around and re-enter and they'd be back for round 2.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Do you have to gather all the dragonballs to wish for Piccolo's turban or something?

Piccolo's outfit specifically requires you to grind the easiset sidequest in the game. You have to beat up Yamcha, Tien, and Krillin and hope you satisfied enough of the optional objectives for Piccolo to spawn. Then it's straight rng whether or not you get a piece of Piccolo's outfit, and more rng if it's his turban instead of his chest armor.

The dragon balls are for filling out your character roster, getting stat respecs, and also new abilities I believe. Could be wrong on that last one.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Golden Sun is not an inversion of that idea. If I remember right sometime in the second game there's a twist where you actually find out that not having done anything is the correct choice and the world is only put in jeopardy because you went on your journey in the first place.

I could also be misremembering. The Golden Sun games had a bad habit of rewriting history to suit the story writer's current needs.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

"Boss, get down! That's an enemy sniper."

"That's an enemy gunship. It's gun could cut a man in two."

Good god are the repeated tips annoying. Yes, Ocelot, I get it, I'll crawl to make sure those things can't see me. Speaking of gunships, gently caress gunships, the later stage ones are sturdy enough to withstand several volleys of rocket barrages. :argh:

You knocked out the enemy's anti-air radar? That wasn't one of the objectives but it's created a hole in their air surveillance network. You could probably land a chopper nearby now.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

One of my favorite moments in games is at the end of the first Max Payne, where you're going up a skyscraper towards the villain, and just absolutely wrecking the poo poo out of everything she throws at you. About halfway there, she's on the loudspeaker all "What do you mean he's unstoppable?".

"What do you mean he's unstoppable? You are superior to him in every way that counts. You are better trained, better armed. You outnumber him at least twenty-to-one. Do your job."

I know it's the wrong thread, but I seriously love that part of the game.

I'm starting to think that maybe I gave up on Max Payne 3 too early, but that stadium level was so awful.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

Why did the auction house die? Was it because of abuse of the horrible real money idea? Player complaints? They didn't want to gently caress with it at all when the (superior) console releases came out?

There was actually a pretty lengthy post on that exact topic yesterday.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=460737601

The takeaway is that there were a whole host of reasons why neither auction house could stay once the expansion launched. Chief among them being "staring at the auction house for gear upgrades is replacing playing the actual game for most of our players."

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Pharaoh Rebirth+ is a fun level-based action platforming game. However the thing dragging it down is midway through the game you are traveling through a mountain, and the designers decided it would be fun to make you drive the way there yourself... on minecart rails. On the best of days I absolutely loathe minecart levels, and this game commits the sin of not only having a minecart section, but having four of them back to back. Each section requires both perfect reflexes and rote memorization of the route in order to succeed. The optional collectibles for the level are all scattered across the minecart tracks as well, and you don't keep them if you die after grabbing them.

But that is not the worst part. No, see you can return to any level from the menu provided you've beaten the boss. If you return to the minecart level to grab collectibles you missed, the on rails segments are not only harder, longer, and unskippable, but also timed.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Haha oh lord, you're playing these games like I did when I was a kid.

Both in Pharaoh, Ceasar 3 and Zeus there are solutions to this but it's kinda counterintuitive to figure out on your own as walker logic is chance based. Every time walkers reach a crossing they make a roll on which path to pick. This means that routes become immensely different and unreliable in just 2 crossings. What you actually have to do to control this is to wall of your cities into small condensed service neighborhoods using the roadblocks. (or gatehouses in Ceasar 3) These neighborhoods should have one perfectly circling route that leads back to its beginning with no crossings. This way you can have the walkers walk the same route a 100% of the time.

Basically this, yeah. The old Impressions city building games are all puzzle games, where the puzzle is always "How do you build neighborhoods without any intersections?" The first few levels are always a pain for that very reason, because you can't stop your walkers from going to the far end of the Kingdom Road if they so choose.

For content, I want to complain about the same games. The fact that they had to have a shoehorned in military mechanic is annoying. Nobody is going to look at Caesar or Pharaoh and go "I'd totally play this but where's the army management?" I'd rather just build cool looking Egyptian cities without having to worry about being raided by assholes. :sigh:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Have you tried Children of the Nile? It's probably one of my favorite city sim games of all time. There is some light military stuff but it varies depending on the scenario. Some are literally just chill, build your city and giant pyramids/statues

I have! I even have it installed right now and played it a few days ago. But as nice and fun as CotN can be, it just doesn't have the charm of Pharaoh. The little walker quotes are permanently ingrained in my brain. gently caress, I think I need to play through that again.

Also COTN, for some reason, needs external software to force the game to render at 60hz. Otherwise it's all too happy to display at an eye-watering, headache inducing 24hz.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I've been playing Car Mechanic Simulator 2015, and it owns as a "chill out and relax for an hour" type of game. But there are a couple of things that really frustrate me about the game. Like the loading times, which are typically measured in minutes. Each time you leave or go back to your garage, you're staring at a loading screen for somewhere between 90 seconds and 2 minutes, unable to alt-tab or even open the steam overlay.

The auctions are also really annoying, because you're bidding against the AI to buy junk cars to fix up and sell, or keep in your collection. The annoying part is they accurately modeled the auction in that the AI will bid only to drive the price up for you. So a piece of junk car that won't start under its own power and is missing three tires might cost you $50,000.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

You using an ssd?

No, I need to get one. Each time the game loads the garage or auction or whatever, it's loading every single part in the game, of which there are hundreds, in case you need to buy them or put them in a car. If you have multiple cars in the garage, it also has to load and render all of those parts, including all the various bits of damage on each. The developers know the loading times are awful, but they've come out and said there's basically nothing they can do about it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I maintain that Ulysses had no loving idea what a courier does.

If I'm not mistaken, the culmination of that DLC was him ripping you a new rear end in a top hat because you carried packages back and forth and didn't care about some town that appeared because it was in the middle of a highly trafficked road between California and Nevada. It's also apparently your fault the town was destroyed because someone paid you to deliver a package to the town. To be fair, that package contained a thermonuclear device that then blasted the town from the face of the earth permanently. But to hear Ulysses tell it, you were the mastermind behind the whole thing.

He simply could not conceive of a person ferrying packages for a living and not being a Legion/NCR spy.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Bussamove posted:

I finally fired up Elite: Dangerous after buying it on sale and the advanced combat tutorial is tearing me to shreds. :( I just hopped into the game itself after a couple tries but goddamn, those ships tore me apart after killing the first one.

You are very much not intended to complete the advanced combat tutorial. I don't even know why it's still on that menu, as it's one of the hardest challenges in that game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I know it's my own fault for playing this tire fire of an MMO, but I've been slowly working my way through the class campaigns of Star Wars: the Old Republic the past several weeks. The storytelling conventions are really starting to wear on me. Spend an entire conversation calling someone a useless prick and they'll still give you a quest at the end just the same as if you spent your time agreeing with them.

But what's really wearing on me are the designated planet bosses. Each planet you visit has a story arc for the planet, as well as one for your class. And for the most part, they're exactly the same. The designated boss du jour spends the first 3/4 of the quests in the arc being a smug prick and constantly being a step ahead of you. Then you corner them in the final zone of the planet and they continue being a smug prick until you beat them and you're given the light side choice to spare them, or the dark side choice to kill them. Every. loving. Time.

I just did a quest where I entered a top secret Republic prison that nobody even knew about. And right away, the head warden has been working for the Empire the whole time. He even designates my character as "a class 10 escapee" whatever that means. So I had to go find four items to fix a computer that immediately resolved the issue in the same quest where it was introduced. I'm sure the next time I go do a quest with this guy, he'll introduce another zero stakes problem that will get resolved within five minutes. Then I'll defeat him in combat and be given the choice to spare or kill his rear end.

Then repeat ad loving nauseam. Bioware storytelling is so tiresome.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I've been playing through the Max Payne series recently. While for the most part the games still hold up and are extremely enjoyable, I need to complain about Max Payne 3. Inside of three chapters, he gets disarmed in a cutscene four times. It's a tad ridiculous and the frequency with which it happens is starting to make me roll my eyes pretty hard.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

I had this problem with Infamous: Second Son. Delsin gets clowned on in cutscenes sevaral times as a way to reset the narrative and never give him the upper hand. Stuff like that is supposed to give you the feeling that the villains are masterminds that can play you hard but you can run the risk of making the main character come off like an idiot.

This so loving much. Some game stories are way too in love with showing how loving omnipotent the villains are. It's my biggest complaint with Uncharted 3. The writers seemed almost afraid to let Nathan Drake have even the tiniest thing over on the bad guys. So the entire story is a long slog where every time a cutscene takes over you start rolling your eyes preemptively.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Oldstench posted:

What's dragging this game down is that it isn't on Steam or GOG.

What's dragging it down is if you reinstall it to play it on modern systems, you have to launch an elevated command prompt and re-enable a form of DRM built into the operating system that Microsoft disabled universally in 2008.

Also yeah the not available on Steam or GOG thing

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Sniper Elite V2, is a very fun and cathartic game about shooting nazis with high powered rifles. However, almost half of its ~6 hour campaign is spent shooting Russian soldiers and jerking off the Cold War before it even starts.

I don't give the slightest poo poo about the Russians. Weren't they part of the Allies during WW2 anyway? Or, barring that, at least not part of the Axis? Like, why would a lone American agent care what "the reds" are doing when there's a bunch of nazis that need to be introduced to their new best friend Mr. Sniper Round?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Sniper Elite 3. The game is really fun, it controls better than the previous entry, and you can't go all Fallout Sniper and expect to win. But there's just a few things...

The game is super crashy. If I didn't enjoy it so much, I'd be pissed off. It crashes for arbitrary reasons. In the last stage I did, the game would reliably crash if I was ever detected by a patrolling armored car. This armored car, I should mention, was capable of detecting me when I was crouched, in the shadows, behind it, from 500 yards away. Occasionally the game crashes when I try to use flint and tinder to start a fire for a distraction. Just a little bit ago, it crashed because I heard a nazi trying to flank me and I ran to surprise him.

If you turn bullet physics to "realistic" and leave on aim assistance, you get a little red diamond showing you where your bullet will hit. This is really helpful! Except, unless you focus your aim for about 5 seconds to completely steady the shot and make it as pinpoint accurate as possible, the bullet will not even hit your target.

The Siwa Oasis level has an infamous longstanding "bug" where by using loud objects in the environment to mask your shots, you'll render the level unwinnable. So you have to either ghost the level by tediously sneaking around everyone, or you have to use your silenced pistol to pick them off slowly. You also have to be drat certain you hide every nazi body, because leaving one out in the open anywhere on the level is enough to, again, render it unwinnable. You see, you're supposed to follow an officer to find some papers he stashed. If there's even one thing out of place on his very long circuitous route through the entire level, the game will just instantly fail you.

The reason "bug" is in quotes above is that Rebellion support have clarified that it's intended behavior. A malfunctioning generator, in the middle of the Sahara desert, in the middle of World War 2 obviously means that something shady is going on.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Nuebot posted:

It's not a VAC game, the worst that happens if you do it bad is the game will crash. Finding a cheat engine table that automates 90% of the work is super easy and there's probably a solid one on the cheat engine forums because they usually have one for any popular game. If you're really worried you can always go offline before doing it.

Worth pointing out that the Cheat Engine forums got hit with a nasty C&D a while back from someone or another. The whole site went down for weeks as a result. So they don't store tables on site anymore. If you want CE scripts, you want this site instead.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

1stGear posted:

I was watching a video the other day that was mostly about the mess the KH series has been since 1 but brought up the trail of destruction Nomura has left through other Squeenix properties and it's really confusing to me how he keeps getting made director.

If you can find that video again, I'd very much like to watch it. Having a full picture for Nomura's incompetence would be interesting.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Len posted:

That I can't just go to gamefaqs and get a guide anymore. loving everyone just has YouTube videos where I have to skip around through 20 minutes just to find the location of the 10th scrap in this drat camp.

This, but writ large for Paradox games. They're either super easy to grasp (Stellaris) or the mechanics are so obscure that you will literally never figure them out, and the tutorials are so worthless as to be actively unhelpful or even dangerously wrong (CK2, HOI4, presumably EU4).

And searching for any information on how to actually play the loving games is met with "Oh it's really simple. All you have to do is watch a 175 part let's play series on youtube, where all the videos are 45 minutes long and literally nothing is explained."

If you're really lucky then occasionally someone will have a 35 part tutorial series where they delve into weirdly precise detail about all the tiny mechanics in the game that don't matter in the slightest, while glossing over all the actually pertinent information. All the while their channel icon, video descriptions, and the fact that they're a little too eager to show you just how Hitler could have conquered the world give you the uneasy feeling that you're watching a white supremacist explain how to play the game. No I haven't recently tried to get into playing Hearts of Iron 4, why do you ask?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified needs to let me drop a loving hard save while back at base. Or just in general. Relying on autosaves is a terrible idea when the game doesn't autosave religiously. I lost nearly 20 minutes of doing stuff between missions because I tried to do a bunch of errands all over the base before stopping for the night. So now when I go back to it tomorrow I have to redo all that stuff again before I can continue on as planned.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Last week when Fanatical had the deal for $1, I picked up the Sniper Ghost Warrior bundle. I finally got around to trying them out tonight and I'd kinda like my four quarters back. I could put them to much better use in a gumball machine.

The first game, Sniper the Art of Victory is ancient. The bullet "physics" such as they are don't work. There's a little red dot showing you where your shots will go when you fire, and that little red dot has a tenuous, at best, relationship with where the bullet actually winds up. On a target less than 100 yards away using a high powered rifle, the bullets should more or less have hit dead center on the scope's reticle. Instead I can only assume they went off to never never land because I never actually saw where they hit. It certainly wasn't anywhere in the scope.

The second game Sniper Ghost Warrior is competent, but boring. 20 minutes in and I decided I'd much rather play anything else with my time. Also the player character character, a trained special forces operator, can only hold his breath for about 4 seconds. If his heart rate went above 60 bpm, his aim also swayed like he just spent all night doing keg stands while hooked up to an intravenous drip of pure caffeine.

The last game in the pack is Sniper Ghost Warrior 2. I'm pretty sure this was a game originally developed for consoles and then extremely lazily, or very quickly, ported to the PC. That's the only explanation I can come up with, because there is zero excuse for showing gamepad prompts when one isn't currently hooked up to my PC. Even if there was, there's still no reason for the prompts to not automatically switch. Also from the five minutes I spent in the shooting range mode, the player character still has the lung capacity of an asthmatic fat guy. And, like in the previous title, once that tiny capacity ran out, the scope started dancing like there was an earthquake happening.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Was Heavy Rain the one that had "Shuan! Shaun!....Shaaaauuuunnnn!"?

Because that was pretty loving funny.

https://youtu.be/0t0uCWjQ6Og

This is all that I know about the game. Tbh I think it's better that way. Quick time events the game looks terrible to play.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Why even bother with needing to respec? Diablo 3 did it right, just letting you change your spec and abilities on the fly.

Because for some reason people think it's the highlight of character building to have to assign stat points. I have never seen a game do stat assignment correctly. Either there's only one correct way to assign your points and every other way is 100% incorrect (Diablo, Diablo 2, Torchlight, Torchlight 2, presumably Path of Exile), or you have to spend skillpoints to level up your stats (Titan's Quest, Grim Dawn presumably).

The fun of assigning points in skills you might think are fun is also usually a huge trap as well. Leveling up skills in most Diablo-likes is the exact wrong thing to do because a level 1 skill costs 2 mana to spam, while the level 5 costs 20.

I don't even understand the point of having trap stat choices. Look at Torchlight 2, where leveling up the Vitality stat is completely worthless because the biggest gain from it is shield block chance. This is in defiance of every other convention that Diablo 2-likes have where the only worthwhile stat to invest in is the one that gives health.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

Whole buncha people ITT think you start counting at 2, apparently.

Loot grinding in Diablo 1 involved duplicating gold and then save scumming Wirt for enough resistance gear that you weren't completely miserable in the Hell levels. The alternative was to replay the Catacombs and Caves over and over again, hoping for drops. I don't know anyone who did Nightmare or Hell difficulty legit.

Getting rid of the need to grind resistances for higher levels is one of the best changes made by Diablo 3.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

A friend talking about it again got me to reinstall Unepic. Before I could even do that, I had to dig deep into the oubliette that is the Hidden section of my Steam library. I couldn't remember why I threw it in there. Now I remember.

The game is the type that thinks memes are the pinnacle of humor. You literally run into an NPC that looks like Admiral Ackbar, and it says "It's a trap!" talking about the obvious trap nearby. There's a sidequest where all your character has to do is have sex with some goblins because they're "in heat." At one point you run into a small orc child who talks exactly like Short Round.

And finally the thing that made me give up entirely... the fourth boss is a huge floating brain with an eye. It can only be damaged by using nearby ropes as ziplines and attacking its eye as you fall past it. Every so often this boss stops and channels an attack that deals a bunch of ticking damage. This attack can also make your attacks reflect back to hurt yourself instead of the boss, it can make you stand in place and just repeatedly discard healing/buff potions, or the attack can make you use a random teleport item in your inventory. Teleport items that, up until that point, the game has been throwing at you right and left.

The intended strategy is to drop all of your potions, scrolls, and your emergency safety teleport items on the ground. If you don't drop everything that can teleport you, the boss will randomly make you teleport you out of the room at some point. This is a problem because if you drop anything on the ground and leave the screen, it's gone forever.

I can't even begin to fathom that thought process that went into designing a boss like that. As a special bonus, the boss is completely immune to magic and ranged damage. So if you've been building your character in a way other than melee, you can just get hosed according to the game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

FF13's combat really opens up and gets good when you get access to 3 party members. So it's a shame that the game kept manufacturing more and more dumbass reasons to keep you at 2 party members for nearly half of its run time. It artificially added difficulty where none needed to be because Lightning had a martyr complex and kept blowing off everyone else. By the time I got to Pulse where the game supposedly opened up, I was so done with the game's bullshit that I stopped playing.

Also the game crashed after a tedious 20 minute boss fight.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

If you're playing on PC you owe it to yourself to track down the cheat engine script that edits the game's loot tables. Being able to manually adjuat the drop rates so they aren't terrible makes the game slightly more playable. There will still be a lot of trash, but it'll be interesting trash in a variety of loot colors.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I picked up PC Building Simulator during the steam sale. While it's enjoyable in the same way other simulator titles are, it's starting to annoy me. Every job you do requires you to run the 3dMark benchmark which takes 90 seconds real time. Most of these benchmark score jobs also pay a lot less than the parts cost, so you wind up losing money by even trying.

You can do other stuff while the benchmark runs, but so many of the random jobs ask you to meet arbitrary scores. So often the game turns into swapping out a part, booting the PC, and then 90 seconds of running the same benchmark and hoping that the new part causes a score to increase.

The game would be so much better if you didn't have to watch the same Time Spy video slowly scroll past every time you try to complete a job.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Petit Gregory posted:

I just picked up Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and so far the only thing dragging it down is that this no longer greets me every time I boot up the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNbabKjKpA

If you have the PC version, then do I have good news for you! Because that can be added back in.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I've been trying to play the first Pillars of Eternity and I'm really starting to think that maybe these pseudo-tactical top down Infinity Engine-alikes just aren't for me. It's really, really, really annoying when the game auto pauses three times in the span of a quarter second because three different abilities ended at the same time. Like, yes, I loving know the ability ended, because the enemy is dead.

I also know that the game is only pausing when it hits the reasons I told it to. But there really should be some sort of sanity checking so the game doesn't auto pause like an NES controller stuck on turbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I've been tearing through the various isometric RPGs recently, trying to find a decent one to play. To that end, I returned to Wasteland 2, because I remember having a pretty good time with it a few years ago. The thread that used to be in Games appears to be gone, and all of the wonderful advice in the OP that demystified character creation along with it. I spent 2 hours tabbing back and forth between a page on reddit, a steam guide, and the game. I finally got pissed off and uninstalled it. Nobody, it seems, is capable of writing a guide in plain loving english. Instead they dive straight into the granular math that drives the systems and my eyes cross because the "guide for beginners" instantly loses me. I'm looking for the remedial version and all that I can find is the advanced stuff.

So that's my complaint: RPGs that have completely insane character creation rules using some dumbass proprietary system instead of something easy to understand. It's something Pillars of Eternity actually got right. The stats in that game are well explained, and it's not just a wall of numbers thrown at you that you're expected to parse.