Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

StarMinstrel posted:

More Watch Dogs

Making me feel like I have massive cognitive dissonance by having the PC rant about justice non stop and then commiting crimes like a lunatic.

Yeah, that trips me up as well. It starts you out by giving you all those subtle hacking tools and having you sneak around all opponents at first, making you feel like a low-key, budget batman. Then the game tells you to buy a fully automatic assault rifle and sets you to storm some company's office building, helpfully pointing out "those guards you're about to murder are like PMCs or some poo poo, they have it coming". Most of the time the game doesn't even bother to track whether you nonlethally subdue somebody or just shoot them in the face.

At this point I'm basically going with the interpretation that the protagonist is just a full-blown terrorist who just happens to target criminals most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've got one for Sniper Elite 3. Every time you receive damage from something, your ability to shoot is completely disabled for a few moments. As you might imagine in a game like this you're often taking pretty difficult shots from a long distance, so that can make quite the difference. You're in a heated firefight an just lined up a split-second shot at some dude's dome but then the game's just like "nope" and blocks your controls because some dude 500 meters over there winged you. I don't even particularly mind that being hit spoils your shot, but letting you hammer the trigger to no effect is probably the most annoying way to implement that.

You can usually work around that by stealthing around a lot and not getting into opposed firefights in the first place, but occasionally there are places where there's too much open ground to cover with your silenced pistol and no reliable noise sources to cover your rifle shots. And that's if the game doesn't decide to just drop a tank in your way and demands that you destroy it before you may proceed with your ostensibly covert-ops mission. Snipers were always part-time tank-hunters, right? :shepface:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

After having it languishing in my steam backlog for ages, I've finally given Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising a try. While the basic engine and gameplay is pretty solid (if a bit janky, but that's to be expected), the campaign really doesn't make very good use of it. In the original Operation Flashpoint you really got the impression that you were just one small part of a big conflict, but in Dragon Rising it's really just a flash in a pan that's over before it begins, and the outcome in your favour never seems to be in any doubt. You also never get to drive anything bigger than a jeep, the only two player characters you get to control are infantry squadleader #1 and infantry squadleader #2. It still had some decent missions, but the scale seemed so very limited most of the time.

After Dragon Rising I tried Red River and :wtc:. The less said about that pile of a campaign the better.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Wasn't one of the closed fist choices something like killing your party members and enslaving their souls forever?

Another option is to just straight-up mind-control any party member that objects to going maximum evil, with them being fully aware of it at the same time. This gets extra creepy if you use it on your love-interest to, well, make them continue being your love-interest. :stonk:

Open Palm/Closed Fist was an interesting concept for sure, but in excecution it was really just Light Side/Dark Side x 10.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, I want to like the new Borderlands Pre-Sequel, but like with the prequels (or...sequels, or whatever?) the wonky balance has a habit of making things pretty drat annoying. If you haven't found a good gun for a while it starts taking annoyingly long to kill even standard enemies, and with the sheer quantity that's thrown at you, mopping them up can get really tedious. By the same token, the damage that the enemies deal to the player fluctuates a lot. Sometimes you can just stand out in the open and eat shots all day long with minimal risk, sometimes all your life and shields are blasted away in half a second with little indication as to what has just killed you.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

"Bombers" in Dying Light are your typical suicide zombie. Unlike, say, every single other bloody version of such an enemy in other games they're near silent (screaming only a half-second before they explode and sometimes not even then) without any distinct appearance except for easily missed blood boils.

They can kill you in one hit. :argh:

That game really likes hitting you with instant-death explosions out of nowhere. Another frequent source of that are the giant zombies with their huge clubs accidentally hitting an explosive barrel. And there are also guys in CDC suits whose oxygen tanks will start leaking after they're killed, propelling their corpse into a random direction before exploding. It's fun if you do it on purpose and send them flying into a group of zombies, it's less fun if they just randomly fall down some stairs and die right behind you without you noticing it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hey, Pillars of Eternity, you're pretty fun so far, but maybe don't put a surprise mini-boss fight with a fairly steep spike in difficulty right after a very long and drawn-out dialogue phase with no chance to save inbetween.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DStecks posted:

That was me. The fact is that RDR really does have about the same amount of "social commentary" as GTA, the critical difference is that it gets fewer chances to deliver it. The entire opening sequence is a five minute parade of "hurr hurr people sure were stupid in the old days; here's a preacher who doesn't believe in flight even though hot air balloons have existed for a hundred years derp". And the newspapers and watchable movies are more of that. But you have to seek those out.

GTA doesn't need to go grimdark, it just needs to stop trying to make "cutting social commentary". You can have an irreverent tone without acting like you're saying something of substance. A modern GTA with a fun sensibility, without lovely satire or the go-for-broke excess of SR, would probably feel like Trailer Park Boys.

On that note, am I alone in finding that GTA V was just pretty drat unfunny for long stretches? It seemed like 90% of the time it was just a matter of plopping down lazy caricatures and have them go through tired old cliches. Boy, that yoga instructor sure buys into pseudomysticism. Yup, the federal police certainly is corrupt. It just felt completely uninspired with no wit or bite to it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Bioshock Infinite is bad because it had a great opportunity to do something neat and just dropped the ball. All of the dimension tearing could have been bad rear end to have it splice with more modern alternate times. Instead we get what, one cut scene in England playing an 80s tune and thats it? What a missed opportunity. Its been mentioned before, but I'll mention it again, they totally, TOTALLY hosed the game up when they introduced the Vox Populi as equal enemies as the main enemies. Seriously? The proletariat revolution is JUST AS EVIL as the people that kept literal SLAVES? Are you kidding me? You had build this rich, beautiful world, full of social, religious, economic, and political turmoil, coming at it from all these different angles...only to have the flip switched and OH LOL guess BOTH SIDES ARE JUST AS BAD. Yeah, no.

Its almost as if they hadn't put as much effort into the game I don't think I'd be as upset, but they did. They put SO much effort into it, just to kind of sputter out the last half.

Yeah, the game just couldn't stop and focus on one particular theme. It started out with the weird floating city with the strange founding-fathers myth and an enigmatic leader that could have been a perfectly fine thing to base the entire game around on its own. The part about racial tensions eventually leading to revolution could also have been a decent base. And finally the whole thing about Comstock, Elizabeth, and weird dimension-hopping and gene-splicing experiments would have been plenty to fill up the game on its own. But they tried to juggle all three things at the same time, and as a result none of them really got enough time to be particularly developed. The flying city remained a pretty but largely inconsequential backdrop to shooting mans, the revolution got stupidly simplified as you pointed out, and the whole dimension thing was left pretty rushed and never really fleshed out even though in the end it was elevated to centre stage above the other two.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Leal posted:

Well it IS the chamber of lies...

MGS5: Really needs a quicksave system. Trying to get a mission out before I head out to work, but when its time to go I can't quicksave and have to redo everything I just did since the last checkpoint.

The checkpoint system really is terribly annoying. I managed to sneak all the way into a huge enemy base, picking up a whole bunch of good soldiers along the way and preparing C4 on a number of generators to cover my eventual exit, only to be spotted some 100 meters away from the final objective. I end up reloading the checkpoint, and it puts me back a full kilometer outside the outer limits of base, probably something like 30 minutes of gameplay ago.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Esroc posted:

The Skulls in MGSV are the worst bosses. Usually Kojima is pretty good about making memorable boss battles, often with puzzles that need to be figured out to beat them. But the Skulls are just omniscient bullet sponges. They know where you are at all times and can take multiple rockets to the face without giving a gently caress.

The last straw was when I called in an air-strike on them and not only did they survive, but they immediately dog-piled me from across the map despite there being no goddamn way they could've known where I was, which means they're just programmed to hone in on you any time they take damage regardless of the source.

I'm disappointed in Kojima.

Yeah, trying to actually kill them is an exercise in frustration. Even when I knew they were coming and had the opportunity to stack everything in my favour (putting down a minefield, equipping a rocket launcher and body armour, deploying Quiet in a good spot) it was still useless because sometimes their AI just decides to end you by teleporting behind you and riddling you with bullets.

At least in some instances they don't immediately go into combat-mode, allowing you to sneak past. They'll still shamble in your general direction, but they do it so slowly that you can still outdistance them even when crawling. That way you can lead them away from the objective, then circle back to fulfill it, and then run like hell.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Deport The Irish posted:

In the hour long opening "tutorial" (a cutscene where you have to hold forward the whole time so you can't just go make a sandwich) for MGS V, there's a bit where some panicked guy grabs your ankle and begs you to save him. The ELITE EVIL ASSASSIN responds by shooting him in the butt and dragging him away, screaming, then shooting him in the butt three more times to kill him (no man can survive with four pieces of metal in his behind). The EILITE EVIL ASSASSIN then walks away without bothering to look around for who or what the guy was holding onto and begging to save his life. This is a tense dramatic moment.

MGS V is a great game mechanically but good god it should have never tried to have a story because it's garbage.

Another annoyance in the same vein is that there are several instances where you manage to sneak up on a given bad guy in a cutscene, and instead of just putting a bullet/tranquiliser in their face the Boss will just stand there and scowl in their direction until they just walk away and/or trigger a boss fight.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

You knocked out the enemy's anti-air radar? That wasn't one of the objectives but it's created a hole in their air surveillance network. You could probably land a chopper nearby now.

The worst part about this is that the game never gives any indication about the point of radars beforehand. You will never know that blowing them up is actually really quite useful until you do it out of boredom or accident, and afterwards you will hear about it every drat time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

To whomever decided that "lets make the Fallout Farcry 4 ending bleak because that's how the kids like it right?" gently caress you, you loving arsehole.

There's a perfectly nice and fulfilling ending if you just sit tight for like five minutes during the initial dinner like you're asked to, like a proper civilised person. :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I've really been enjoying Valkyria Chronicles since my friend gave it to me as a Christmas present. I'd never really looked at it before, but it's got a lot going on with it that I like.

But good lord the Battle of Barious. I don't think I've ever hit a wall this hard in any game I've ever played, it takes 'unfair' to whole new levels. Your job is to take out a fuckoff-huge tank bristling with turrets. It's got the classic 'wait for exposed weak points, hit it three times' structure, but the fact it's in a turn-based strategy game makes that setup extremely grueling. The fact the whole thing is armored (including the turrets that'll be peppering you whenever you get close) means that the only members of your squad that'll be doing much at all are your Lancers and tank, but they're also the least reliable ways to actually land a hit.

AND THEN when two of the three weak spots are down, the game spawns an invincible and highly-powered enemy soldier that will try her hardest to murder anything she sees. So you've gotta deal with that while the enemy tank takes its sweet goddamn time making its way down to the next wall so it can reveal its third weak spot. And after you've done all that you have to take down the actual tank; I haven't managed that part yet, because the invincible soldier rips my offensive force to shreds just by virtue of existing.

Yeah, the fight is complete bullshit, especially since just one or two missed shots from your Lancers can make the difference between victory and defeat. There is however one thing that makes a huge difference: Once the weak points are exposed, you don't have to destroy them with Lancer shots. Instead, you can just climb up the side with a Scout and lob a grenade into the hole on the top to destroy them with a single hit. That alone removes a huge headache and leaves your Lancers free to kill the smaller turrets.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Death Zebra posted:

IIRC they aren't that good for that because there's a limit to where magic can heal you so you need items regardless. My healer certainly sucked but maybe I messed him up.

While that's true, the maximum to which they can heal you back up goes down pretty slowly. Even if you get knocked down from full to 1%, you can still usually be healed back up to ~90% or thereabouts. That stretches the amount of time you can go without another form of healing by a huge amount. My main pawn is a healer, and usually by the time my max hp get low enough to matter I'm through with whatever quest or dungeon I'm in and can just teleport back to rest up to full at an inn.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Leal posted:

Dragon's Dogma: You are limited to one save, though you get a second save of sorts in that there are "checkpoints" made when you go into the rift or rest at an inn. Apparently though, when turning in quests that advance the plot (and generally, plot advancement causes side quests to be failed) the game also counts it as a checkpoint. So I have a single solitary quest showing up as a failure for me because it made a checkpoint save when I turned in a plot quest, when it should only be making checkpoint saves if I went into a rift or rested at an inn.

It's doubly annoying because many side-quests tend to have others as a prerequisite. For me one single early-game quest bugged out, and thanks to the autosave I couldn't revert back to my earlier savepoint before I even started it. Thanks to that, I'm now locked out of three or four further quests and a small area that's unlocked by them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Morglon posted:

So still playing Dragon's Dogma and something weird has started happening. About a third of the time I walk into the castle to do something I will get arrested for no reason. Just walking up the the front door, guard comes up, dungeon.

You're forbidden from walking around the castle at night, so perhaps that's it? I don't think the game really explicitly communicates that to you until you do a certain quest.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

XCOM 2 is pretty great so far, but goddamn it just won't stop loving around with my camera. Any time you come into view of something the game deems important it immediately pauses your current turn, slooowly pans over there, and plays a voice-over. Particularly with mission objectives that'll happen once when the missions starts, once when you come into view of it, and then once more when you actually get close to it. It just gets pretty annoying to have control taken away time and time again when you're just in the process of doing something important.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So I'm replaying Splinter Cell: Blacklist right now, and there's only one question in my mind: Who thought it would be a good idea to have "take cover" and "jump over cover" mapped to the same drat button? So many times now I've been disovered because instead of taking cover behind some wall with an enemy on the other side, the game decided I'd much rather slide right in their face.

Fake edit: Oh, and "drop down from a ledge" is also bound to that same button. So god help you if you want to take cover behind something on a roof.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I finally got around to playing Rebel Galaxy, and while it's a fun little game, the UI is just atrocious. My biggest gripe is with the shield and armour indicators, which look like this:

One gauge each for each side of ship, looks straightforward enough, right? Since you have gauges there already, even nice and segmented in the case of shields, the sensible approach would be to just have them get shorter as things get damaged. Well, the game doesn't think so. Instead, the gauges just get lighter and more translucent. So in the middle of a heated firefight you have to figure out whether that's a regular light blue or a really light light blue and try to gauge your status from that.
But that's not everything: Every time a shield is damaged, the gauge flashes red for a second. Since you're usually in big group fights with lots of rapid-fire weapons, that means it's flashing all the time. So in a game where one significant aspect is turning so that your strongest shields are towards the enemy while the weakened ones, you have no way to tell how depleted your shields are until they fail entirely and you start taking hull damage.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

What dragged down Borderlands 2 for me, going into it basically blind, was that moving made weapons less accurate, crouching more, etc. I would've expected that sort of thing from a more realistic shooter (which I avoid because of mechanics like that), but B2 felt like more of a Diablo With Guns game and it really bummed me out that it was there. Don't think I made it much past the Ice Zone because of it.

Yeah, aside from having a horribly annoying story and being a bad RPG, BL2 is also just not a very good shooter. With the the HP scaling, most weapons don't feel particularly powerful and it often takes an annoyingly long time to even just kill regular trash enemies. And for all their touted weapon variety, many of the weapons don't even feel particularly different in terms of actually using them. Most of the time their differences just boil down to how long you need to hold down the trigger until the enemy's dead.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I haven't touched a Souls game, but in that animated example, I'm guessing you can't just run in, discover the traps, and reload knowing where they are?

You can, but the save points tend to be pretty far apart so it'd take a whole lot of time.

That image always irrationally annoyed me because one of my first experiences with the game was slowly, carefully walking along a bridge that was my only way forward at the time, only to have a giant loving dragon out of nowhere fly by from behind me and spit fire engulfing the entire bridge, instantly killing me. When I brought that up at some point, the response was, no poo poo, "there were scorch marks on the bridge, so obviously you could have seen that coming."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Okay I don't mean to make you feel bad but it's very funny to me the idea you're taking it slow and looking for clues, a flap flap flap roar happens, and you look up to a dragon rearing back and getting ready to roast you, and you're like "wait, wait wait, let's see what he does here"

As long as you have a sense of humor about the deaths and realize any amount of souls you lose is going to be trivial in an hour, there's nothing wrong with dying in this game and no call to tell people to get good. Go get killed it's fun.

I dunno, perhaps I had the sound to quiet or something, but literally the first sign of the dragon was the fire burning me to death. It was pretty close to the beginning, just after you meet Solaire. I stepped out from underneath the arch onto the bridge, took five steps, and whoosh fiery death.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of DS3, and I'm aware that some people probably consider this a feature rather than a failing, but the way how some bosses don't have a bonfire anywhere near them is pretty drat annoying. I'm pretty new to the series so most bosses take me several tries, and the experience is not really improved by having to start each new attempt by having to trudge five minutes along an already too familiar path and killing the same dozen trash enemies along the way every time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of DOOM, while it's overall pretty drat fantastic, I do find it a bit annoying how the later weapons use the same ammo as some of the earlier ones, and as such kind of obsolete them. Particularly in combination with the limited upgrade points. So you put a bunch of upgrades into the combat shotgun early on, only to later on find the super shotgun, which is a superior way of using the shotgun ammo about 90% of the time. It's similar with the plasma and gauss rifles (though they're at least a bit more distinct from each other), and from the looks of it it'll probably also be similar with the chaingun vs. the heavy assault rifle.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Morpheus posted:

The best part is the DLC that's just a bunch of extra equipment that blows away all game balance.

Dead Space 2's PC version comes with all the DLC packed in: a pile of equipment that's available by the time you reach the first save point. You can't turn it off, it's some of the best stuff in the game, and it obliviates the need to find anything else.

The only thing I could do was go through each piece of equipment and discard it, I think, or something. It was a pain-in-the-rear end process in any case.

Yeah, I recently got Rise of the Tomb Raider and it does the same thing where you get a few special weapons right away, which are basically just the regular late-game weapon variants with a fancy skin. Fortunately it's not quite as much of an issue there since all the weapon choices are sidegrades rather than straight upgrades. But the weird thing is that throughout the game you're still unlocking the basic versions of those very same weapons, so you end up having a bunch of perfectly identical guns.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Supposedly the ME novels are unbelievably bad and Kai Leng is an even worse character in them. Reading the EU poo poo is never worth it; if they're mining a series' tie-ins, the story sucks donkey dicks.

It's even worse because the game buys into the hype as well. Everybody goes on and on about how super dangerous this guy is supposed to be. Then you actually fight him, and of course you clown him hard because you're loving Shephard while he's just a weeaboo with a bad haircut and knockoff space Ray-Bans. But then the game pretends like it was a hard-fought standstill that you only just barely escaped with your life, so you have to go ahead and later on murder his obnoxious rear end a second time just to be rid of him.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alteisen posted:

The solution is simple.

Remove snipers from Overwatch, probled solved.

In fact if OW didn't have Widowmaker, Hanzo and Junkrat it would be a much better game.

Honestly, just remove snipers from every multiplayer shooter ever. Snipers are a garbage mechanic in almost every MP game they're featured in.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've toyed around with No Man's Sky for a bit now, and aside from some broader complaints, the spaceship controls are just outright aggravating. The ship has some kind of mild autopilot, probably intended to keep you from crashing into stuff, but you just end up fighting the drat thing all time. When you're in a dogfight in space, it'll suddenly and randomly start pushing your nose in random directions, probably because there's an invisible space-gnat in the way. If you're low above a planet and want to check out a landing zone, it'll unerringly force your view back to the horizon so you can't ever properly see where exactly you're landing.
And even if you want to actively use the autopilot to get you to places, it's still bad. Basically, as long you're in space, you can use an interplanetary drive that's about ten times faster than the regular thrusters, but will deactivate when you're inside an atmosphere. Also, inside the atmosphere, you get slower the lower you go. Now when you tell the autopilot to fly you to a point of interest on a planet's surface, the quickest way to get there would be to just use the interplanetary drive until you're right above the spot, and then to fly straight down in a few seconds. But instead it'll put you down into the atmosphere while you're still well away from your destination, and wants to slowboat you the rest of the way for several minutes. You can try to manually approach it at a higher altitude for more speed, but once again the autopilot will fight you every step along the way.

The most annoying thing is that these problems are pretty evident pretty much from the first time you try to fly from one spot on a planet to another. And you fly around in this manner a lot. Even the most basic QA should have caught this right away.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cleretic posted:

For all my friends, one of the things bringing down Overwatch is Symmetra being an overpowered deathdoor-producing monster.

For me, the thing dragging Overwatch down is that my favorite hero, Symmetra, is objectively underpowered and haphazardly-designed.

Settling this kind of debate is impossible.

Could it be that your friends play on console, while you're on PC? IIRC, turrets tend to do much better on consoles, since their autoaim is relatively more powerful and it takes a longer time for players to take them out. For the same reason Torbjörn used to be incredibly powerful on consoles (until they nerfed his turret's damage by like 30%) while he's always been a pretty situational gimmick on PC.

Edit:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Since we're on Overwatch:

I like playing Pharah, and according to my stats I'm pretty good with her (the only other character I've played a significant amount of time as that has a higher win percentage is Ana,) but MAN, does her Ultimate kind of suck.

Sure, it can do poo poo-tons of damage and maybe get a Team Kill if they're all on the point huddled together...but it'll never happen because you'll get to "Justice Rains-" snipped dead. I don't know of any other character's Ultimate that leaves them so vulnerable. Maybe Reaper's, but at least he gets to move around a little bit while being 2Edgy4U.

Whereas by contrast, D.Va's Ultimate is completely unstoppable, which is pure BS. All the other Ults that are capable of doing a large amount of damage in a small area (like Junk Rat, Reap[er, or Pharah) are can be interrupted. You can kill Reaper or Pharah (very easily, as said) at the start of their attack, or destroy Junk Rat's Rip Tire before he triggers it...but not D.Va. Once you hear "Nerf this!" your only hope is to run. It would be nice if it was possible to destroy the mech before it blows up.

There are a few possible counters to D.Va's ult, though they are pretty situational. Reinhardt's shield can block it, as can Zarya's (her shields can actually block unlimited amounts of damage, as long as it comes from a single attack), and Mei's wall does as well. Worst case a Reinhardt or Roadhog can also sacrifice himself and push/pull it out of the way.

As for Phara's ult, the best use I've found is to use it at very short ranges against targets of opportunity. It's tempting to wait until you can bombard the entire team for a potential wipe, but often just sneaking around and wasting two or maybe three enemies with it (ideally including a Mercy, if they have one) will have just the same effect, since your team can just easily mop up whoever's left standing through weight of numbers.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Sep 6, 2016

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

swamp waste posted:

For me it goes beyond boredom and becomes creepy. You can do anything and nothing matters; you're locked into the limits of an algorithm that gets more and more obvious. The games I like reward your growing understanding of how they work with the ability to handle challenges that used to seem impossible. GTA, Elder Scrolls, No Man's Sky type of games punish that understanding with a weird existential dread.

To me, a single level or cutscene with unique graphics and dialogue makes the world feel "bigger" than a dozen procgen or kit-of-parts levels. It's like, here's some type of actual human expression, here's something specific instead of 20 variations on vaguely the same thing, here's evidence that a world exists and matters outside the computer dream prison that this story can never escape. Towns in Earthbound feel bigger than towns in Fallout because each person has something going on that maybe doesn't even concern you. Dark Souls feels bigger than Skyrim because the proportion of unique experiences in the former is so much higher. MGS3 feels bigger than MGSV because at least there's the illusion that everything is there for some reason, instead of endless slightly different configurations of thugs wandering through a field for you to shoot.

No Man's Sky feels especially weird in that way. On the one hand, you encounter aliens everywhere. You could be exploring an incredibly remote planet, cataloging never before seen flora and fauna, only to stumble upon some alien jerk who got there first or is going on a joyride through the atmosphere. There's a space station in every single system. For a game all about exploration, it never feels like you're actually breaking new ground or pushing the frontier.
And yet at the same time you still feel lonely as hell. Almost every outpost features only one single person, you never see anything approaching a larger settlement or even a city. Even the central space stations are just two dudes in a giant hollow structure, with maybe half a dozen other ships dropping by. It manages to seem both empty and overcrowded at the same time, and as a result feels sterile and artificial.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Witcher 1 was a big PC release at the tail end of the mid-00s dry spell before almost every major game got a simultaneous release on consoles and PC, that got it a lot of goodwill. Also we had just reached the point where WRPGs were starting to come back in a big way so it was like the only recent fully 3D thing not by Bioware or Bethesda out there.

It's kind of like how Torchlight got a lot of praise because it was the one ARPG to come out in forever, but now that we have like half a dozen good ones it's a dull slog by comparison.

Yeah, a lot of it has to do with the context of its release. Another thing that helped was that CD Project released a huge enhanced edition patch with a shitload of new animations, character models, quests, bug fixes, and quality of life improvements entirely for free, which was pretty unheard of for the time (and still is).

It was fairly unique in that it had actual long-term consequences for various decisions with branching story paths, especially since those didn't just boil down to a bioware-style "good/evil" dichotomy.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don't consider it really bad because a bad run will end quickly (and even a good run will end quickly because it's a short game)- I think that kind of extreme randomness can be okay if the game is quick. Long and random would be a pain.

But I may also give it more credit than it deserves since it's a game about flying a spaceship that isn't about trading cargo and mining asteroids so it's already more interesting than 90% of the sci-fi games out there.

Yeah, that's what currently turning me off of Everspace. It's really pretty and has some promising parts, but each run is long. In each sector you'll spend five to ten minutes just collecting the scattered items before moving on. But at the same time the game absolutely isn't above just throwing you into nigh-unwinnable scenarios whenever, so that makes a random loss even more annoying. If nothing else, FTL is quite decently paced and dense. You warp to a new point, you immediately resolve either an event or an enemy, and then you move on again to the next one. No long waiting or faffing about.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tiggum posted:

This always annoyed me when I used to play Magic: the Gathering on Magic Workstation. You'd end up starting a bunch of games against people who'd quit as soon as they saw that you were using anything that wasn't one of the current popular tournament strategies. And this would happen even if you put "casual" or "friendly game" or whatever in the game description.

Probably the weirdest outgrowth of this I have seen was in Gunz: The Duel. Gunz was a free-to-play third person shooter that was popular perhaps ten years ago. It really wasn't very good, but it had guns and swords and wallruns, and most importantly was free to play, so there I was.

Anyway, most of the "competitive" high-level play revolved around breaking the poo poo out of the game's engine any way you could. The most popular way of this was "butterflying", which basically involved doing a jump, airdash, attack and block with your sword all at once. In practice this meant you could move around at a pretty high speed while attacking and defending at the same time (blocking with a sword also blocked bullets). Two people going up against each other this way would just be jumping around each other in circles forever, hoping to hit the other during the small window in which they were not blocking and thus vulnerable.

I took one look at that and basically decided to gently caress all that, because doing that poo poo would probably give you hand cramps three minutes in. Instead I just stuck to using guns and learning how to shoot when the butterflyers were vulnerable. You would not believe how mad some people got about that. Shooting people was the lamest poo poo, and literally destroying the game forever. Apparently there was even some schism in the community about that, but I never got all to deep into that. :allears:

tl;dr: People got mad when I shot people with guns, in a game called Gunz.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Oh ffs

I've really loved the mobile game Zombidle, because the developers keep adding new mechanics to what could've been a basic tap/idle game.

But ever since their Halloween patch, the game just force closes after watching an ad for a boost. You don't even get credit for watching it.

It's also really drat unstable in its browser version. Nine out of ten times it'll run just fine, but in that tenth time something about their ads just crashes the entire drat browser until I can kill the flash plugin.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, against my better judgement I tried to new Call of Duty, and goddamn those fuckers can't write a new plot to save their lives. I mean, it's still CoD so I'm not exactly expecting subversive high literature, but it's just so painfully generic. The game is set hundreds of years in the future, so they had the freedom to do basically anything, but they went with the same old poo poo but ~in space~. You're fighting for the Earth faction which is basically space USA, against Mars, who are Space Russia/China. The Martians have foreign accents, show a casual disregard for their soldiers' lives, execute civilians wherever they attack, and started the war with a dastardly sneak attack pretty much because they hate Earth for their freedoms. It's so goddamn blatant and on the nose that it borders on parody. For the first half hour I was almost expecting some big twist with an unreliable narrator, exposing everything up until then as Earth propaganda and instead putting you in with the scrappy underdog martians or something.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Air vehicles dominating battlefield games has been a staple since at least Battlefield 2. 1942 is the only one that ever got it right by having flak turrets everywhere.

At least in BF1 they made it so that the dedicated anti-air is actually hella powerful, killing most planes in a single pass and shaking them about so much that they can't really hit anything. Infantry weapons are also decently useful, knocking off up to ~10 health per shot. Last but not least, the big bombers are so slow that it's perfectly possible to just bloop them with a tank gun.

Of course the skylords cried their eyes out, and the very first patch included a nerf to AA. So now a bomber can just helldive right at a manned AA and kill the gunner without dying in the process. :dice:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Speaking of Borderlands, how is that the only Loot and Shoot to not be completely awful on release? I can understand why games like Vermintide, Division, and Destiny had loot issues (which they've all gone great lengths to fix), but I have to give Gearbox credit that they're like the only one of their kind that released with an overall good system for obtaining reasonable loot.

Honestly, I'd say that Borderlands' loot was pretty terrible as well, swamping you with useless poo poo and only giving you something good and/or unique once in a blue moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Somfin posted:

The well-implemented ones combine "you can't run," "you do like 1% damage," "they kill like 1d4 party members per turn" and "your party don't shut up when normally combat is silent." Lose two of those and I get nervous.

But I call hard bullshit on any game where there's a fight we're supposed to lose but only after trying for like five fuckin' depressing minutes. What's the goddamn difference between a beatdown and a slightly longer beatdown, huh?

Perhaps the worst example of this that I can remember was way back in Grandia 2. Early on you have a fight that you're supposed to lose, but you have to lose it in a certain way. If you just get all your dudes killed right away it's a regular game over, and you have to redo the fight from the start. Instead, you have to stay in the fight and keep wailing on the unkillable enemy until she decides to kill you with one particular move that will instakill your whole party, and only then does the game proceed as intended.