Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I really like Toukiden, because it's basically Monster Hunter without most of the tedious grognard stuff that plagues that series, but it's still pretty grindy at times and getting a useful item for breaking an oni's body parts is still a crapshoot.

For example, one quest (that you need to do to upgrade your mitamas, which give you your non-weapon abilities, beyond level 8) requires you to get 5 items that you need to break a specific part of a specific monster to maybe get.

Cleretic posted:

This is how I felt about Mass Effect 2, but nobody agrees with me on that one.
Mass Effect 2 is a much better game than Mass Effect was, but it lacked a lot of the charm of the original and the overarching story was pretty haphazard.

Dragon Age 2 is just plain terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

Me too. That and the railway rifle. It wasn't the best gun in the game but sometimes it's just fun to pin ghoul heads to a wall with a gun that goes choo choo.
The railway rifle was the best, but iirc eventually you run out of ammo for it and can't get any more.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Lotish posted:

I was most disappointed in the latest soul calibur's way of unlocking stuff, by putting everything behind levels. To unlock costume and weapon pieces, you have to grind up to level 53. I much preferred the method in soul calibur 3 where you unlocked pieces by beating characters wearing those pieces in the chronicles of the sword mode (still my favorite sc game mode).
One of the biggest things dragging down Soul Calibur as a series is how they keep sacrificing the single-player modes on the altar of multiplayer. SCIV's was bare-bones compared to SCIII's, and SCV somehow was even worse.

Also, they just sort of threw away all the new styles they added in SCIII. While a lot of those were just knockoffs of existing characters' weapons, several of them were really cool and should have been kept (like the bladed boots, a completely unique weapon type that has never appeared again).

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

Hell, even the knock-offs had some great moments. Like the one attack the Cassandra/Sophitia clone gets that just involves mowing down the opponent, kneeling over them and wailing on their face with your hilt and shield about twenty times.
My favorite was the generic greatsword, which had some double overhead swing that the AI just couldn't deal with. It was wonderful :allears:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Thoughtless posted:

Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga.

1) Quests that get marked as failed if you complete them "wrong". Early on some guy wants you to bring in some debts from some other dude. He turns out to be a blackmailing rear end in a top hat, but you take the victim's side, the quest fails when you turn it in. :wtc: I mean, I guess I technically failed the job he gave me, but that's an incredibly weird way to do it in a game.

2) NPCs that gently caress off to somewhere after giving you a quest. I can't remember the exact ones, but several of them give you a quest and then haul rear end somewhere else. Thanks! This is made doubly as annoying because...

3) NO QUEST MARKERS. Yes I'm a lazy spoiled entitled dumb idiot gamer but I need quest markers or I bumble around and never find where I'm supposed to go.
Also your dragon form is weak as hell, especially compared to your regular human form.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I'm a few hours into Dragon's Dogma and the combat system is really good- you can jump around, pick up and throw enemies, even climb onto the bigger ones- but holy crap is there a lot of it. I don't think I've gone more than a minute without getting piled on by bandits, wolves, goblins, harpies, or a mix of two or more types at once. I successfully ambushed a Bandit camp, and then a pack of wolves swarmed me, and in the process of fighting them I managed to aggro another Bandit camp 50 feet away. I don't know if I'm going to be able to get through this game if it's this same level of constant, grueling combat the whole way through. Hopefully now that I've reached Gran Soren things will calm down for a while.
Yeah, it's ridiculous, especially at night (where you'll kill a dozen wolves for every 10 feet you travel).

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite games ever, and the sheer amount of trash guns over good ones is why I just loving cheat to get better ones. It's a really glaring flaw on an otherwise great game. Getting anything above white or green drops feels impossible.
Yeah, when I played BL2 I got gently caress-all as loot, virtually all my weapons were quest rewards.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Nostradingus posted:

The AI allies in Hyrule Warriors can lose the battle for you. How am I supposed to defend all these forts when you guys are just standing there and letting the monsters steal all of our poo poo???
This is a longstanding problem with various Warriors games, and it's always annoying.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

One of the things that bugs me about Fishing Resort is that your character model blocks your view of where you cast your line a lot of the time.

Also gently caress oilfish :argh:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I really enjoy the Monster Hunter series, but holy gently caress the game is probably the worst game to try to get into, and Capcom is simply adamant about not providing any sort of tutorial beyond "Hurrr here's how to swing a sword good luck!" The only reason I got into it was because my roommate basically coached me in how the whole shoddy mess works.
I have no idea how Monster Hunter has become as successful as it has, I played Freedom Unite and I think every single mechanic in the game is unbelievably clunky and awkward and there's a ton of tedious grognard mechanics.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

I've been playing Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm: Revolution, and it's pretty good for what is blatantly a stopgap between "main" games in the series, but there's some dumb issues.

There's still a ton of character slot bloat, where multiple versions of the same person occupy more than one slot. The bizarre thing is that sometimes different versions of a character are in one slot, so they clearly can do that, but they refuse to do it consistently for some reason. Also, I wish they'd do away with support-only characters entirely and promote them all to full playable status.

Also, they're really averse to giving old characters new ultimate jutsu. Pretty much every character in Naruto's age group except himself, Sasuke, and Sakura has had the same ultimate since they first appeared in Storm 2 (4 games ago), and it's getting a little embarassing now. Especially considering how much better the newer ultimate jutsu cutscenes look in comparison.

Finally, they added the ability to equip accessories to your character, which would be great except most of the cool ones are restricted to certain characters.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not a rhythm game, but you reminded me of that God-drat flute in Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks.

Edit: Also just about everything else about Spirit Tracks...I kept going through the game, thinking that finally, this train upgrade is the one that will let me kill those demon trains, but nope...you can never kill them, only try to escape them. It made it a huge PITA anytime you traveled.
I literally traded in Spirit Tracks because of that loving flute. I couldn't get through the second mandatory flute sequence no matter what I did, and eventually just said "gently caress this".

It's a shame, I actually liked the game otherwise.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Nuebot posted:

This is where it comes down to the specific franchises. Soul Calibur, for example, you are 100% correct and the fact that they destroyed the single player campaigns really hurt 4 and 5. But Soul Calibur isn't exactly a super competitive or skill-based game.
Soul Calibur 3's Chronicles of the Sword mode was pretty much the best thing the franchise had ever produced :colbert:

Speaking of Soul Calibur, it bothers me that Lost Swords has you playing as regular Soul Calibur characters instead of CAWs, which would fit the storytelling better. Just have unlocking a character unlock the "Soul of X" for your character instead, and pretty much nothing else would have to change.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Geomancing posted:

Dry erase marker on the TV screen. Get a sequence that's easy to remember what order they happened in, boom, done. Why yes, I'm a cheater.
I just took video of it with my phone.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

I beat all the Muramasa Rebirth DLC, and went on Youtube to see the other endings (because there's no way I'm going to unlock them all myself). Anyway, they're almost all more depressing than the regular endings (except Rajyaki, for some reason, which is good because Rajyaki owns).

It's not even that they're bad, per se (Arashimaru's second ending is actually really cool, if you ignore that the whole thing happened out of nowhere at the last second and how badly he got hosed over), but man I'd be pissed if I did all that work and got something that was less satisfying than the default ending.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

It really annoys me that the original Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F for the Vita doesn't let you use your sticks for the scratch notes like its sequel does.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Saint's Row 3 and 4 let you buy an ability that made the collectibles show up on the map, which was really helpful.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

I find it strange that Dragon Ball: Xenoverse doesn't let you play as a woman of Frieza's race, even though it presumably has them (Frieza had a family, after all). I mean, hell, I didn't know Majin Buu even was part of a distinct race, and that race has women (also, female majin are the best :3:) so I don't get what the deal is there.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

And second are there any RPGs that do the dual-hero attacks like in chrono trigger? Where two people can wait and then take a turn together to kick tons of rear end?
There was an Inuyasha RPG for the... PS2 I think where that was a mechanic, pretty much everyone had combo attacks with everyone else. It was a pretty fun game, all things considered.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

I feel like the duels in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger were cool, but they had a little bit too much going on at once to really work. I might just be bad at gunfighting though.

Morglon posted:

Most of the endings are pretty depressing when you try to help everybody. I did most if not all the things in a helpful way and only for two character did that turn out okay, one was fairly meh and the rest made everything actively worse.
Obsidiangames.txt

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Basically I want more games like Shadow of the Colossus, except with giant robots, because fighting giant robots on foot is never not fun. And Platinum should make those games, because Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is The Greatest Game.
Freedom Wars is basically Monster Hunter with giant robots. It's got issues of its own, but it really nails that part.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Nuebot posted:

What trailers have you been watching? Pretty much all I've seen of FO4 is "look at our kickass shooting now, look at this god damned death claw it's gonna get you! Now you're ironman! Yeeaaahhh!" it's been pretty heavy on the guns and power armor.

Anyway, more in tune with fallout 3, what really bugged me was that the karma meant pretty much nothing. You could blow up a whole town and murder everyone and dad would just tell you how disappointed he was in you, and you'd be forced by the plot to Do the Right Thing because it's Your Destiny.
Doing something the opposite of your alignment made Three Dogs' broadcast about it hilarious too.

Alaois posted:

as proven time and time again, any time people complain about fake sounding accents in video games, it was actually done by native speakers
See also: Leliana in Dragon Age.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Tiggum posted:

This really annoys me in Skyrim, especially when I've got a steward who can just order in more wood, stone or clay for me, but for some reason I've got to go out find my own iron, glass, or whatever else. I've got a bunch of minions who'll follow me to the ends of the Earth and into the jaws of death, but I've got to do my own shopping?
Divinity 2 was pretty good about this, once you get your Battle Tower you get these dudes you can send out to collect crafting materials for you.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Nuebot posted:

:ironicat:

Anyway for something not related to fallout: Yokai Watch is a lot like Dragon Quest Monsters in that you feed the monsters and hope they join you after the fight. The downside is that the rates for monsters joining you even if you feed them their favorite food is abysmal, it can take ages for even low ranked things to finally join your party and half the side quests in the game are "catch X monster and bring it here" type things. The worst is when something finally joins you, and it wasn't the monster you've been hunting and feeding every fight.
Yeah, it's really irritating. I don't know why every single non-Pokemon monster collecting game makes the actual monster collecting so RNG dependent.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not that one. This one comes later and the dude is camped out in a train tunnel with no way of getting around him.
The armored guy? Yeah, that one is just painfully unfun.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Which was really disappointing because there were several small quality of life changes they made in the driving for SR4 that made driving, especially motorbikes, a lot more fun and less poo poo than in 3. But you drive for all of like five minutes then get to super run everywhere.
Also, they added some new vehicles like one of those three-wheeled motorcycles and a bigger version of the Toad ATV (the Toad was one of my favorite vehicles, because it was basically a motorcycle with the stability of a car), but you have no real reason to use them.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

NotAnArtist posted:

I loved those janky as gently caress spacecar sessions :smith:

Tootlin' along on planets was fun, and though I've never played me2 or me3 I was bummed that they took them out.
The Mako was great. Near-invincible (if you look at the Normandy crash site in ME2, the loving thing's barely damaged :allears:) space APC with a bigass cannon that thought it was a mountain goat. If they'd given it a booster and the ability to jump it would have been perfect.

So of course its replacement in ME2 is a hovercraft made of cardboard with a weapon that hits like a wet noodle :negative:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

iirc, they were working on a Pokemon Z, but for whatever reason scrapped it and are making Sun and Moon instead.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

Saints Row 4

i'm going through and trying to get gold on every activity, but superpowered fight club is rough. the one with jyunichi sucks bc wave 2 is king of the hill and i keep getting stunlocked by the gank squad repeatedly hitting me with bats, and jyunichi himself can keep you in an infinite stunlock loop while he rabbit punches your health to zero. i think i got through this last time by maxing out the aura power so i'll have to settle with silver until then.

the stomp mayhems are pretty rough as well. i feel like there's an optimal path, but i'm always 50k short of gold.
Turn the difficulty down to easy, it makes the challenges more lenient (this is really helpful for rifts and Genki's MOM too).

Also, super sprint (especially the upgraded version that tosses everything around in your wake) cheeses the hell out of on-foot mayhem. Even the TK one (pick the ball up and hold it in front you while sprinting, this counts for some reason).

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

The rocket and laser tanks in Kaiju-A-GoGo and their ability to hit you from approximately a quarter mile away can go gently caress themselves.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Death Zebra posted:

I wanted a fun game to play over the Xmas period and Saints Row 3 was a loving good choice. However, the last few challenges I had to do require too many repetitions so I really had to go out of my way to do them. Also, the last few carjacking missions are painfully difficult. With the truck, the police can destroy you at will at any point during your incredibly slow drive over the length of the map. In another mission the cops will easily shoot your supposedly bulletproof vehicle to death. Finally, the survival missions require you to wait for a phone call and is immediately cancelled if you die. Obviously it would better if it were immediately accessible and repeatable like every other piece of side content.
Call a tank for the survival missions, it makes them hilariously easy (they actually did make them regular activities in SR4, for what it's worth).

Also for the trickier carjacking ones, use the notoriety wipe after getting in the car.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Dragonball: Fusions seems to have a weird thing going where a good number of the female generic characters are referred to as male in their profiles (but still have the female symbol there). It seems to be exclusively women it happens to, I haven't seen the reverse so far.

I assume it's some sort of translation error (perhaps the Japanese script was using gender-neutral language or something), but it's real weird.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Actually in some games he isn't the bad guy. Like uh, Phantom Hourglass I think
Or Skyward Sword, where the villain is a giant muppet that becomes Akuma.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Somfin posted:

Really though the game would be better if you could undo the effects of that quest because I don't want to play as an oldster but I also don't want to not experience playing as an oldster why can't I do both on one save file *spasms tiggumistically*
The aging in Fable was honestly really annoying because every time you leveled a skill it aged you, and you end up being older-looking than your own older sister and it's just loving dumb.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Oldstench posted:

Nier: Automata pet peeve given to any new players as advice:

Don't ever do a main quest until you have finished ALL the sidequests you can first. You will get locked out of doing them as far as I can tell.
Also good advice in Dragon's Dogma. You can completely lock yourself out of doing a bunch of characters' sidequests if you progress too fast.

I think the worst are Quina and Selene, because getting to the Witchwood takes you past some really nasty enemies for the level you're at and you can't even come back later because the quest fails automatically upon doing the next main quest (the one that takes you to Gran Soren).

Action Tortoise posted:

I think Paul Dini spoiled me with Riddler because every portrayal of him that's not from the DCAU doesn't come off as clever with the riddles or just forgoes them altogether like the one in the The Batman cartoon made by the same team who did Jackie Chan Adventures.
The DCAU has literally the best version of every character (except Aquaman, because Batman: The Brave and the Bold knocked that one out of the loving park :allears:).

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Futuresight posted:

I don't understand why developers think flying enemies loving off for a minute is fun? It was poo poo in Skyrim and it's slowly driving me crazy in Dragon's Dogma. The wolves also constantly run the gently caress away in DD as well. It's kinda maddening and is enough to drag the game down an entire star rating in itself considering how often you run into the loving things between several types each of wolves, harpies, and dragonkin all over the place.

Dragon's Dogma itself is kinda amazing in how it still manages to be worth a drat with much it's loaded down with annoyances, terrible design decisions, and the storytelling. I'm pretty sure you could just describe half or more of the systems in the game as a thing dragging it down.
Also those dumb ghost enemies that can only be hit by magic, especially since mage pawns are idiots about fighting them and can't seem to actually hit them most of the time.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

The kart racing game was great too. It had the issue of the second game where everything felt needlessly extreme, grim, and dark, but considering it was set chronologically around that time, it worked for me. It was fun to play. Mario Kart with machine guns.
It also literally didn't work on a lot of PS2s.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Len posted:

Wouldn't be the first game to give a poo poo ending for better percentage.
Muramasa Rebirth is like that too. Every single DLC character's alternate ending (which requires, iirc, beating all the bosses from the base game with them or something) is worse, both for them and in general, than the one you get by default by beating their stories.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

scarycave posted:

Speaking of Npc's. I think it does suck pretty bad when you find out a character that you needed or wanted alive (usually to get a good ending or if its like a traveling merchant) managed to get themselves killed or in one case, a character that you need to make peace with the khans literally despawns after you do a certain quest which you can start well before you actually meet the khans.
People get weird and pissy about characters being flagged essential in Bethesda games for some reason, but this is basically why it needs to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

I beat Knack and I wish the titular character didn't have such a gigantic goddamn hitbox (it's not as much of a problem when he's small, but the bigger he gets the worse it becomes), because a lot of the time I'd dodge when the game prompted me to and still get hit because his arm or something was still in the path of the attack. Honestly, the hitboxes in the game were just wonky in general.