Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

A civilization game with splitting civilizations might almost be kinda interesting, though.

This is one of the things I enjoyed about Distant Worlds and Crusader Kings. If you gently caress around too much with your population they'd revolt and splinter off into their own Empire.

I've had several instances in both games where a minor revolt grew into a civilization in its own right and took over half the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall is a huge step up from the original campaign, but christ the story party members are the most useless loving scrubs I've ever had to carry through an RPG. I'm currently on the last mission and while my character consistently crits 30+ damage with every shot and almost never misses, these assholes miss four out of five shots and only do around 15 damage on average when they do bother to hit their target. Especially loving Dietrich, who can't get through a simple milkrun without two trauma kits and platinum med unit.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

SpookyLizard posted:

Metal Gear has the same problem. It gives you a bazillion neat guns, all intricately and lovingly modeled, and then smacks you on the knuckles for using them.

I didn't feel this way about Metal Gear at all. I frequently did multiple playthroughs of all the Solid games using different playstyles without much issue. In my opinion the series is actually really accommodating to how you'd like to play it.

I've beaten the game as a ghost that no nameless grunt ever laid eyes on, and I've beaten it as Rambo storming the enemy base like an 80's action movie hero. Both ways worked just fine, with the Rambo style being a bit harder due to infinitely respawning enemies when in alert mode, which really just encourages you to keep moving.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

I always like going through the woods or a dungeon in some game and finding to corpse of the last "adventurer" that got sent on my errand. :v:

One of the better mods for Skyrim adds in three or four NPC adventurers like you that you can run randomly into out in the wild questing. It was nice to enter a dungeon only to find the Vampire nest inside already wiped out by a guy just as decked out in gear as you (why is the PC in Elder Scrolls games the only dude with decent gear in the entire world?) picking their corpses clean of loot.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I also have a gripe with Destiny, but the issue is in other MMO's as well. Namely, bare minimum character creation. I'm one of those guys that can happily spend two hours just making a character if the game offers a robust enough creation system. And I've played plenty of MMO's with Elder Scrolls levels of detail tweaking in character creation. So I know it's well within the limits of modern hardware.

So, I'm pretty bummed when I get a game that offers a character creation system and it turns out to be basically an afterthought with nothing more than a handful of prebuilt faces and hairs and maybe some atrocious looking facepaint if you're lucky. Thus, it's an exercise in futility to try and make a unique character. I spent a good hour making the most unique Destiny hunter I could given the limitations, and thought I had done a good job, only to run into a near exact clone of me as soon as I get to the Tower.

Destiny is a pretty great shooter though. I just wish I hadn't dropped $60 for so little content. But that's the state of modern gaming today, so what can you do other than not play games at all.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Thinky Whale posted:

City of Heroes had its problems, but by god did it get this right.

Related, DC Universe. It's the only MMO that I know of with the kind of armor system it has. Upgrade loot drops are just stats, and the armor pieces are a separate item entirely (called "styles", I believe). So you equip the stats you want, then whatever armor piece you like on top of it, which opens up a ton of customization because you can wear whatever armor you bloody well feel like.

For all the games faults, DCU's armor system is revolutionary and every MMO in the history of ever needs to adopt it.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Sep 14, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Skyrim is easily the most time I've ever sank into a game. I play it with the maximum 255 plugin mods and almost as many non-plugin mods. My version of the game is customized to hell and back and only barely resembles the original game, which is what I love most about it. If you put in the work you can essentially create your own RPG world.

But the thing always dragging it down is the goddamn first person view. I think the terrible combat in Elder Scrolls games rest solely on the fact that Bethesda is adamant about adhering to the first person perspective.

I don't doubt many of you will disagree with me, but I feel first person only belongs in shooters. A swords and sorcery style game needs a solid third person camera and combat system and I personally feel that every first person game with swordplay has failed miserably at it. And every Elder Scrolls game has the third person view tacked on almost as an afterthought. I prefer to play Skyrim in third person with mod assistance to make it more bearable, but while playing it all I can think about is how mind-blowingly awesome an Elder Scrolls game would be with something similar to a Dark Souls third person camera and combat system.

So, if you ask me Bethesda needs to drop the first person camera all together. It's an unnecessary hindrance that is holding the series back.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Oct 18, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Counterpoint: Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is loving great and has a fun combat system, unlike Skyrim.

I respectfully disagree. I disliked DMoMM combat because it had the same shortcomings as an ES game but without the awesome world to make up for it.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

GTA Online is a blast to play but the user generated content can get downright ridiculous. Setting yourself as "on call" for deathmatch will more often than not end with you being dropped in a usermade arena with weapons in one area that requires platforming and abuse of physics glitches to reach and whoever gets to them first gets to spend the next twenty minutes slaughtering everyone else.

Honestly, they're kind of fun if you get to be that guy who gets there first. But otherwise, not so much.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Finally got Shadow of Mordor and I have to bitch about this stupid game because I cannot fathom why it was so critically acclaimed upon release.

The combat is just AssCreed's boring as hell counter system. And the AC platforming is still just as janky and horrible as ever. All that's been covered to death via the AC games so I won't go into it any further other than wondering why they copied AC of all things when it's infamous for having some of the worst combat and movement ever devised in a video game.

The enemy encounters are what really piss me off. You can't start a battle with a named Orc without alerting everyone within a two mile radius. So two or three Orcs quickly becomes two dozen. And often the fight attracts every other named Orc in the area so not only are you trying to survive fighting one extremely difficult Orc, invariably you end up also fighting five of his buddies who are all just as strong if not stronger.

And when you're outnumbered don't even bother trying to run away! Because every named Orc is apparently psychic and will chase you to the ends of Middle Earth no matter how many bushes you jump into, rocks you duck behind, or towers you climb. Nearly every battle I start ends with me running across the landscape like Benny Hill with every citizen of the area following behind in a half-mile long conga line of death.

This all also makes it a pain in the rear end to finish off a named Orc since every single goddamn one of them runs away when you whittle down their HP enough but you rarely have the opportunity to chase after them because you're drowning in nameless peons that block your way. So good luck downing your target in one battle. Chances are they're going to get away and you'll have to hunt them down again later and do it all over again.

Also, you can forget stealth since every single thing that exists in this game is the same shades of brown. So trying to sneak around is either useless because you'll end up missing those archers that blend in with the platforms they're standing on, who will then alert all of Mordor to your existence, or you have to walk around in that stupid ghost mode all the time which kills immersion and also defeats the point of being stealthy and careful since it tells you where everyone is everywhere at every time. Plus, stealth kills don't work on 80% of Mordor's population anyways.

The cutscenes at every new Orc encounter are annoying as all hell. They could've just flashed the name of the Orc up on screen while he talked rather than pulling me out of the game every time I stumble across a new Orc.

Graphics-wise the game is passable. But I resent that even on lower settings it brings my PC to its knee's when plenty of other new games play just fine on higher settings and look much better. But I assume it's the Nemesis system that eats up most of my resources so I can take some responsibility for that one.

Lastly, the plot leaves a lot to be desired. I have no reason to give a poo poo about anything that is going on.

The Nemesis system is a neat idea, and I did get a bit of a thrill out of hunting down an Orc that backstabbed me to death while I was trying to fight a Captain. But all the packaging that goes with it is horrible and everyone should feel bad for accepting this kind of poo poo from game developers and then praising it like people have. This is a bad game with a neat gimmick and nothing more.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Finally got around to playing Metal Gear Rising and there are way too many instances of "open door, listen to codec for several minutes, walk down empty hallway, open another door, listen to codec again."

Also, the Monsoon boss fight was total bullshit. Once I died enough to figure out his patterns I was able to clear it, but it took me forever and really killed the flow of the plot coming off that awesome "The Ripper Returns" scene right before. You see Raiden turn into a terrifying badass in the cutscene and then get his rear end handed to him in the actual fight until trial and error gets you through an hour later. Really killed the mood.

All that aside this is a loving amazing game.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

This is factually incorrect.

Eh, I'm kind of torn about the plot.

On the one hand it shows us the tech we saw developed and refined over the course of sixty years worth of plot culminate in its natural conclusion of a crazy as gently caress future where cyborgs, AI's, and giant mechs are almost passé. I really dig the world they've built with Rising and hope we one day get a traditional Metal Gear game set in it, even if it's a different protagonist.

But on the other hand Etsu Tamari's story is so cliché that I can't believe Kojima signed off on it. It removes just about everything that makes Metal Gear what it is and substitutes it for a run-of-the-mill "chase down the bad guy, save peoples" plot with little depth beyond Raiden questioning the real reason he became a crazy techno ninja with a super blender powers.

I did, however, appreciate that Raiden straight up cuts a little kids head clean off just to kill the guy standing behind him, and the next scene immediately after that is all "It's totally cool, we just plugged his noggin' into a robot. He's fine." Like it's totally not a big deal that the hero of the story just decapitated an eight year old.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 07:54 on Dec 18, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

And also the PC version is like 24 gigs and most of those are uncompressed video files, but as far as Japanese PC game ports go it's still one of the better ones :japan:

One of the better ones? That game was ported perfectly. I have a lovely Lenovo notebook with like 4 gigs of ram, an intel "it turns the screen on and nothing else" video card, and an i3 and the game still runs at full 60fps on medium settings with the slashy option jacked up to max.

I only installed it for shits and giggles and didn't expect it to actually work. Imagine my surprise when I was hacking apart Metal Gears ten minutes later without a stutter in sight.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Dragon Age: Inquisition on PS3 is terrible to the point of absurdity.

The animation is laughably bad, and often incomplete. Everything clips through everything else. Characters frequently speak without moving their lips. I've seen PS2 games with better textures. The sound will often fail to load, leading to battles with music but no sound effects and vice versa. The script barely even qualifies as such, and the voice actors are very obviously in it for the paycheck. The controls are about as responsive as an ex-wife. Everything everything everything looks absolutely like poo poo, but in a twist of irony there's occasionally a no-name npc in the background wearing generic clothes or armor that are better modeled and textured than that of main characters. Everything is so shiny it looks like all of reality is sweating at all times. Dialogue choices are meaningless because the PC has the same bored tone no matter what you choose and the subsequent dialogue rarely matches the dialogue choice (for example the seemingly hardass choice of "unhand me!" results in "I'm innocent, please let me go!").

I mean, gently caress. Does anyone at Bioware give a poo poo anymore?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Walking Dead always rubbed me the wrong way because apparently the writers believe that in the event of an apocalypse only mustache twirling, baby eating, psychotic assholes will survive. Nearly every person the main characters meet in the game, show, and comic that doesn't join their group is evil to the point of absurdity. And even a few that join them are!

Humanity has its lovely moments, but it's not that bad.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Just did the 1st raid in Destiny with some goons.

Well tried to, we made it to the end but it was just an hour of one bug after the other, just an endless avalanche of bugs, 3 hours and gently caress all to show for it because Bungie can't code for dick apparently.

I take some responsibility since I bought the game too, but if you're still playing it after the incomplete, broken shitfest that it turned out to be then that's your own drat fault.

Between Destiny, and the new Dragon Age I've since sworn off ever buying a game at full price without finding a way to demo it first. The rate at which games are being released broken, incomplete, and filled to the brim with expensive DLC just to regain features that should have been in the game in the first place is getting ridiculous and it amazes me that developers just cannot fathom why piracy is such a big thing.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

The problem though is that "demoing"games leaves you with a copy that's even more buggy than the retail due to the lack of patches and new bugs introduced by circumventing the drm.

For instance the Unity face bug was solved for most players by the day one patch (not that Unity lacks other problems.)

I meant like a Redbox rental or something. I don't pirate for the exact reasons you mentioned. Trying to get an illegitimate copy to work correctly is often a pain in the rear end and I'd rather just wait for a steam sale.

On a related note, I know Ground Zeroes got a lot of flak for being so short but I wish that sort of thing was more common (though for a cheaper price). If you don't want to give an actual demo then give me some kind of prologue or side-story that I can purchase for ten bucks to get a feel for the game before I throw down $60 on the full one. Other than it being too expensive for what it is, I found Ground Zeroes to be a neat idea.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Leal posted:

Shadowrun Dragonfall: Man the AI really likes to go for the player character don't they? A lot of fights I'm often making my main character haul rear end after the entire enemy group focuses on him, sometimes he flat out gets incapacitated before I get my first turn cause often the enemy makes the first move. This has a side effect of my melee companion a murderous force cause the AI wont attack her, they go for me. I can't see their chance to hit, but I'm sure my guy in the far back in full cover is harder to hit then the woman with claws currently gouging their eyes out.

It got really dumb in a fight where I released some basilisks from their cage that proceeded to run past the enemy to beeline towards my character.

A lot of games do this and it's annoying as hell. That's one thing (of many) that made me swear off modern FPS' entirely. Nowadays even if it's a squad game the enemies act like the player is the only threat on the field.

It's really obvious in the Battlefield series. Enemies will straight up saunter right past a squadmate pumping bullets into their chest, brushing shoulders, just to get to you.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Game Dev Story is dangerously addictive, but I hate that using the same employee for a certain aspect of the game twice gives you a stat reduction.

Bitch, that's what I'm paying you for. Shut up and do your job.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Game Dev Story again. If you put even a cursory effort into leveling and training your employees there comes a point about halfway through the game (year 10) where everything you touch turns to gold with no action on your part. By year 10 I essentially have infinite money, and don't even use my boosts at all anymore and still Hall of Fame everything I put out.

It kind of kills the momentum and made me lose interest.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Kruller posted:

The story is less stupid, for one. It feels more like you have a good reason for being a psychopathic murderer, as opposed to rich white kid in the wrong area who got some native pussy and went loving crazy. Pagan Min is a loving charismatic bad guy, as well. I haven't even unlocked Northern Kyrat and I don't actually want to kill him, based on our interactions.

Rhinos can eat a dick, though. God drat armored murder-beasts.

At least you can see Rhino's and avoid them.

Most of my deaths have involved badgers popping up out of nowhere and tearing me apart before I even know whats going on.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Kaincypher posted:

State of Decay is an amazing and cheap zombie game. I feel like it's the best of the many, many different zombie survival games right now. However, 2 things bother the hell out of me. First, when you're on a mission, lets say picking up a survivor, you have to immediately head back to base to drop them off. Even if another survivor or mission is on the way or can be accomplished at the same time. Nope. Drop the dude off, turn around and head straight back to where you just where five minutes ago. Second complaint: loving ferals. Easy kill by firearm at a distance, but they have this adorable habit of spawning about 5 feet away from your character. Usually from behind. Has an insta-kill attack move, and is almost unkillable once they're on you. Unlike most games though, there's no saving or respawning of characters. So if a plot character dies, you're pretty hosed. Had to uninstall the game after I saved this plot important doctor, only to have him charge into a mob of zombies solo when I turned my back on him for 10 seconds to loot a warehouse. gently caress me game, I'm sorry the AI is bloody suicidal, that's your fault not mine. Otherwise, it's an amazing game.

Depending on which system you're playing on, there's an invaluable mod for the PC version called something akin to "skilled characters stay home", which applies to all plot characters since they all have some kind of special skill. They won't step foot out of your base unless you take control of them.

My thing dragging the game down is that even on a pretty beefy gaming rig you have to tweak a bunch of settings to reduce stutter, and even then you still get some occasionally. And their shadows are just godawful to the point of being distracting. Before I learned how to disable them completely I would avoid wooded areas entirely because the shadows from the tree leaves were so annoying.

Also, the Breakdown DLC is kind of pointless. All it does is turn off the story, but you still go through the same motions that you do when playing story mode. So really it's just a $7 toggle to turn off exposition.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's pretty good if you ignore the story mode because the story mode is garbage.

Well, yeah. But it's kind of silly that Breakdown is the devs asking for seven bucks to let you play through the same missions the story provides, just without a story. You're essentially dropping cash just to make NPC's stop talking to you.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

That's a change from Dead Island where you'd hear the exploding zombies from literally miles and miles away.

That was one of the few things I liked about Dead Island. Hearing one of the specials screaming from some far off place you couldn't quite pinpoint was foreboding.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I think the activities are kind of fun, especially in online mode. I spent a solid week playing golf more often than the actual game.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Tardcore posted:

poo poo so they're scattered across the whole world map then?

Speedtree is a blight that drags down every game it's used in.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

This more general, but a lot of PC games are really dragged down by horrid optimization.

My laptop is in no way a powerhouse, but it can play games like Metal Gear Rising, Ground Zeroes, Shadows of Mordor, Skyrim crammed to the brim with mods, and a slew of other very pretty and complex games on medium settings just fine. But then I load up Far Cry 4, Dying Light, Witcher 2, or Dragon Age: Inquisition (which runs on lowest, but looks like a PS2 game when you do), and they all run like dogshit even at the lowest settings and the lowest resolution available. And they really aren't any prettier or CPU intensive than most of the games that run just fine.

This just smacks of devs who don't give a poo poo about their playerbase except for the small percentage with unnecessary $1000+ gaming rigs.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Dragonball: Xenoverse is the DBZ game I've always wanted and I can't put it down.

That being said, it has a lot of annoying quirks. Armor drops are MMO style RNG, so you can completely clean house on a mission and not get poo poo for it. The same applies to optional bosses, sometimes they show up sometimes they don't. Also having three teammates can get too hectic to tell whats going on. Especially when there's only one enemy, who ends up getting ping-ponged back and forth so much you can't get a lock on him.

Speaking of which, the lock-on system is retarded and will frequently lose your target and there are portals in every level that it loves to switch to at the slightest provocation. So you'll be flying toward an enemy only to suddenly veer off to the left as the targeting system switches up.

The beam attack system is also really awkward in my opinion. I'm constantly accidentally firing off the wrong special attack because of it, and using an ultimate attack tends to activate your "zoom forward really fast" movement ability by accident causing you to fark up your aim.

The game is still baller as gently caress though.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Finally decided top give Dark Souls 2 a try and I don't get the appeal. Everyone gushes over the "difficulty" of the series and how high stakes the game is, but the difficulty doesn't stem from brilliant game design or amazing balance. The difficulty is solely based on the fact that the game has the most horrendous control scheme and button response I've ever seen and making your character perform the simplest of actions is an exercise in futility.

I guess gimping the player with a nightmare of a control scheme is a kind of difficulty, but it's not the kind I was expecting.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Finally got around to picking up a PS4 and The Last of Us came with it. I was pretty excited because I had heard good things, but my excitement quickly turned into disappointment and anger.

I'll start by saying that there is quite a lot the game does superbly. The graphics are top notch. The levels are beautiful (most of the time, but I'll get to that in a minute) the characters look great, and the animations are among the best I've seen. The little things are what drives it home, the subtle facial movements and hand gestures really lend life to the characters and make it a lot easier to care about them. On top of that, the plot is very well voiced and engaging, and frequently has me alternating between sitting on the edge of my seat or wiping away a single tear.

That being said, the actual gameplay is dogshit and has made it a chore to enjoy the wonderful story. Crafting is almost useless since supplies are so sparse you almost never have enough to do anything which led to long stretches of me actually forgetting it even had a crafting system. The gun combat is unresponsive at best and no amount of fiddling with the aim sensitivity alleviates the problem. Melee weapons are an absolute joke since apparently the fungus had a side effect of also turning everything into glass, so a loving steel pipe shatters like fine china after only a couple hits. Every enemy both human and zombie alike is a bullet sponge that requires more ammo to kill than is usually provided by the game in the first place, forcing you to fall back on your Glass Stick of Uselessness. And good luck landing a headshot because not only is the aiming working against you, but the zombies twitch like epileptics so landing anything other than a torso shot is an exercise in futility. But it doesn't matter! Because headshots are never OHK's unless it's point blank with a shotgun.

Then there's the levels, which alternate between beautiful set pieces and blatantly obvious arena's. You can walk through a beautifully crafted forest that looks natural as can be and is brimming with eye candy, then exit into a nice open area with random debris that are all conveniently waist high and also conveniently placed to separate you from the enemy. And good luck with stealth, since enemies are haphazardly placed 90% of the time and sneaking around one will almost certainly get you spotted by another no matter what route you take. So keep your Porcelain Bat handy, and try not to shatter it by looking at it funny.

Also keep an eye out for two main characters that many might overlook. I call them "Convenient Plank" and "Convenient Dumpster". These loyal motherfuckers will be with you on your journey every step of the way, always showing up anytime you need to cross or climb something. Because the devs are loving proud of their plank and dumpster system they came up with and you will learn to love it too, even if they have to shove it down your throat. Which they will. Repeatedly.

And also enemies that can one hit kill you without recourse just because they stepped into your bubble are loving stupid, especially in a game where you are frequently dogpiled by multiple enemies and stepping out of their range is never an option. It's lovely game design no matter how you slice it. The Last of Us is just chock full of artificial difficulty via a cheap combat system and overpowered enemies because apparently Naughty Dog has no goddamn idea what "skill" or "balance" is.

I will finish this game, because god forgive me I loving love the story and I've managed to become attached to the characters. I want to see how it ends. But as soon as it becomes clear a cutscene is about to end I groan as dread overcomes me, in anticipation for the hell that I'm going to have to slog through for the next hour in order to enjoy the reward of more exposition.

In conclusion, I have a new title for this game: Should've Been a Movie

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I'm about 15 hours into Dragon Age: Inquistion and there is a lot to commend about the game. There's tons of stuff to do, the combat is pretty baller, the graphics are gorgeous, and the plot is pretty engaging once you start getting the Inquisition off the ground. But after 15 hours I've been given no real opportunity to mold my characters personality.

One of my favorite player created character experiences was in Dragon Age: Origins. My character was a psychotic tattoo'ed barbarian nutbag who killed indiscriminately and did as much damage to Thedas while pursing the Darkspawn as the Darkspawn did themselves, but over the course of his journey grew to respect his companions and ended his story by sacrificing himself to the Archdemon so that his new friends could have a chance to live in a world without monsters like him. Origins gave me the tools to craft a real arc for my character and because of it I have always looked back at Origins as one of my favorite gaming experiences.

A personal story like that doesn't seem to be in the cards in Inquisition. Every dialogue choice so far as characterized my Herald as Generic Fantasy Hero #1294. There are almost no options to do anything other than be a stand up noble who only wants to save the world. The best I've gotten so far was an option to give the Mages freedom then tell your court that you lied and they'd all be sent back to the Circle once the war was over. But even that choice has had zero consequences so far and none of the other characters even seemed to care.

It's possible that I just haven't gotten far enough for the story to open up, as I spent way too much time in the Hinterlands and only just now started going to other areas. I hear that everything before you close the Breach is essentially a very long-winded prologue and the game doesn't really get going until after that. So I'll keep going and hope things change. I'm enjoying the overall plot, but it's hard to give a poo poo about my own character so far. Because he's not mine. He's shackled by the way the writers decided they wanted him to be. All I really got to do was choose his hair color.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

The sheer amount of stuff to do in Dragon Age: Inquistion was something I absolutely loved at first. I'm 30 hours into it and I've only just met Corpheyus and left Haven for Skyhold, then started the quest chain to find the Grey Wardens with Hawke. And Bioware did a great job of making all the "mundane" quests that are usually repetitive in most games more fun to do by giving them all a twist, or at least some fun dialogue. Which altogether really makes it feel like I'm getting my $60 worth.

However, I've now played long enough that I've decided I don't like the direction I took my character and on top of that I got bored with being a warrior class about 20 hours back. So now I'm faced with a choice: Start all over and lose 30 hours of progress or just own my choices and power through it.

It also seems that Bioware apparently had a memo during development that stated "Put as many quests as you can on top of a giant mountain with only one path that can be used to scale it so players spend as much time as possible circling around mountains looking for a place to climb. And make sure the player character can't walk up an incline greater than 45 degrees." I swear to god its like plains don't exist in Thedas. It's all mountains, all the time. And gently caress the Forbidden Oasis. That area is nothing but tiers upon tiers and good loving luck figuring out how to get anywhere. A quest object can be literally two feet away from you but require an hour of climbing, crossing bridges, and walking through mines to reach it.

The romance options kind of suck too. For a straight male you've got a choice between a bitchy zealot with the personality of sandpaper and a rich girl who spends more time worrying about how her wealthy family is going to survive some minor debt than she does about the end of the goddamn world.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Walton Simons posted:

I'm playing GTAV for the first time and while the replay feature is pretty boss and something I think all action games should have in one way or another, it's a real shame that I don't think there's a way to record your deaths and car/bike crash deaths are always spectacular. I catapulted Franklin halfway down the street before he smacked into a lamppost, killing him, I want to see it again.

Also, the online goes by XP over level/Elo/trueskill but I have that gripe with almost every online game since Halo 3. I want the numbers to mean how good I am, not how much I play, massive loss of tension.

That reminds me of a thing that drags a lot of games down. Most sandbox games with decent physics result in pretty hilarious deaths for the player more often than not. But most of those games give you a split second to laugh at the result and then force you to re-load the game. For exceptionally spectacular deaths your character may still be careening through the forests/streets/whatever for awhile but you can't see it because the load game dialogue has been forced open. It's not too much to ask to make it so the player has to press "X" to re-load and until they do so the scene continues to play out.

One of my favorite mods for Skyrim was one that extends the slow-mo death screen by a few minutes and it's made for some hilarious deaths. Such as that time I got an axe to the back of the head while climbing a mountain and had to watch as my character ragdolled down the mountainside like a grotesque game of plinko. Or one time when I was shot so full of arrows I died but as the slow-mo effect kicked in the bandits continued to fire arrows into my corpse for a full goddamn minute, because apprently when its the Dovahkiin you make certain he's fuckin' dead.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm a little late on this, but have you actually played the game or are you just spreading hearsay? Shooting other players is perfectly fine, and while it WAS the case a while back that blowing up someone's car would get you marked as a bad sport, that's been changed. You have to blow up a shitload of players' personal vehicles - in other words, spend time devoting yourself to griefing despite the game popping a warning the first time you destroy someone's personal vehicle - to get placed in the bad sport servers.

Yeah, in my experience they've gotten pretty good about differentiating between players just playing the game and players intentionally setting out to ruin the game for others.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Lap-Lem posted:

Also if a cop never spawned within 10 feet of you, you just haven't played the game long enough. It'll happen, trust me. Try running from 3+ stars in an airplane, a heli will spawn 5 feet in front of you and cause you to crash into it and die I guarantee.

Another way to see the spawning blatantly is to get a lot of stars and then go up a mountain. You have line of sight in all directions and can literally see them pop into existence a few feet away from you on the mountain top.

As for them being "psychic" it is certainly true. I've had instances where I killed an NPC in the middle of nowhere with no witness then ducked into an alcove or something, and the cops show up with cones indicating they're looking for me yet instead of canvasing the area they just make a straight beeline for my hiding spot right off the bat.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I admit to loving Bioware games but I wish they'd just quit with the whole importing events from prior games. Because it rarely means poo poo and often actively ignores what you did in past games. They may as well just pick their own goddamn canon each time.

My Dragon Age: Origins character was an unrepentant psychopath who mostly just used his crusade against the Darkspawn as an excuse to rape and pillage across Thedas. Since he was kind of the worlds only hope and all, so who's going to stop him? He did eventually sacrifice himself at the end, but in my head-canon it was mostly so he wouldn't have to face justice for all the war crimes he'd committed during the Blight.

Well in Dragon Age: Inquistion any time Leiliana or Morrigan bring him up they praise him as a great hero and express deep sadness and regret at his passing. Hell, Leiliana actually quit over my characters shenanigans and I had mostly forgotten she was even in the first game. By all accounts they should be cursing his name.

I've chosen to establish head-canon that it's just the whole "don't speak ill of the dead" thing, since he did sorta stop the end of the world and it wouldn't do Thedas any good to badmouth the Hero of Ferelden. But it's still really jarring that every time he comes up he's referred to like he's the greatest man who ever lived and the world is a worse place for his passing.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

DStecks posted:

How do you feel about a game like Crusader Kings 2 (if you've ever played it)?

I've never really understood why CKII is one of the go to games for "crazy poo poo happens". I love the game and have clocked hundreds of hours on it, but there really isn't much that can happen that can really catch you off guard. "Oh no, the King that sleeps with every chamber maid in his Kingdom died of Gonorrhea, who saw that coming..." The game is fairly heavily scripted, it's only the order and frequency of events that changes with each new session. It's a fun as hell game but It's not really as "emergent" as a lot of people like to believe.

Hell, nine times out of ten the only time anything even remotely substantial happens is when the player actively sets up the domino's to facilitate it. Otherwise the AI just goes about its merry business and the landscape remains mostly unchanged.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Finally got around to playing Alien: Isolation and drat there isn't a whole lot of direction in this game. The first couple hours at least mostly involves wandering around until something happens or your stumble across something. I spent a good hour bumbling around in the terminal near the very beginning of the game not knowing what the hell I was supposed to be doing until I realized there was a door in the goddamn floor. I mean, who would even think of that without prior knowledge? A little memo with some info would've be nice. "Hey, jackass. There's doors in the floors. Just fyi."

I like the atmosphere and everything, but if the game keeps going on like this I'll probably give up. A slow pace for immersion is one thing, but keeping objectives needlessly obscure just to slow down the player artificially is bad design.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

oldpainless posted:

That time spent searching is meant to build suspense because finding it too fast ruins the atmosphere. One does not simply walk into a floor-door.

I get that. I just wish there was some direction via a memo or dialogue that facilitated a vague idea of what to do next. In fact, the terminal in particular steers you in the wrong direction. The only remaining normal door says you need an ion cutter, so I spent an hour wondering where the bloody hell the ion cutter is before I found the floor-door. It's counter-intuitive and drags the game down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Why anybody even bothers with collectibles in games boggles my mind. Most of the time they're only there to pad out the play time and don't even give you anything worth your effort.

I've never completed a collectible challenge. Never even thought twice about it.