Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Futuresight posted:

Uninstalled Dark Souls SotFS during Iron Keep. I died 3 times on Smelter Demon and then just couldn't bring myself to go through the level again. I was pretty sure I knew how to beat it and would have the next time but I just didn't want to. It was the 2nd time I'd died that many times to a boss in this game and it was too much for me to do the runback, especially in this zone. The whole game I was constantly thinking why am I playing this? I've died more to individual bosses in other Souls game than I have entirely in DS2 but every death felt way worse because the content I had to repeat was so much worse. I can beat the encounters with little problem, but the biggest difficulty was just not wanting to. I didn't want to learn the Heide Knight attacks for instance because I felt like they were just bad. Just of a quality completely unworthy of putting effort into learning. The Aeld Knights? There are 15 of them on the way to the Smelter Demon. Fifteen. You can't run past them. You can't proactively attack them 99% of the time in melee. You have to pull them one by one unless you wanna get gangbanged by fast aggressive and strong enemies. Their moveset is easy enough to figure out on the first one. But you have to fight fifteen of them to get to one boss. There are more of them elsewhere on the level too. What? Why?

Like... I literally felt offended that the developers would make this game and entice me to play it by labelling it as a Souls game. I don't think I've ever had a more visceral hatred and disdain for a game. I uninstalled the game 2 days ago and decided to sit on this post for a couple days to get space but I still feel disgusted by it.

I know other people like it but for me it's just intolerable.

Honestly I would rather just do The Jump to bypass most of the nonsense on the Smelter run. Run right by all those assholes. Way faster even if it takes a couple tries.

(The Jump being this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SGQ40NjZ0E)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Action Tortoise posted:

It's an RPG maker game so it's not too heavy on storage. Keep it to one drive just to have everything in one spot.

It's real good and I haven't had a game surprise me this hard or consistently before.

My only complaint is that the game advises you to play it on windowed mode but the display is locked on a really tiny resolution on my screen.

Some of the puzzles more or less require windowed mode to work (or a great, great deal of trial and error). I did once almost delete all my progress (since I know where %appdata% is) rather than what the game actually expects you to do, though.

edited to put that spoiler box, but it's as abstract as I could make it

bookkeeper has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Apr 18, 2017

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

To expand on Hollow Knight:

Honestly a lot of stuff is dragging the game down. It innovates very little from the standpoint of inventory items (double jump, dash, SUPER dash, the thing what lets you swim in acid, etc). This is not a strike by itself.

The prevalence of knockback on absolutely everything (enemy attacks, your attacks without a specific charm, touching an enemy, world hazards) and the ubiquity of spikes that make you fade to black and load back in if you touch them is infuriating. Additionally, I have more than once been faded to black by spikes and then respawned directly into a lethal enemy attack without a chance to avoid it. This game's spikes are about as bad as it gets without outright killing you.

Boss fights are this weird mixture of hair-pulling frustration and mysterious ease. My median number of attempts on a boss is two, because I'd get hit by each one of their unfamiliar attacks while learning the fight and that's it, that's all your health, and healing in combat is an exercise in frustration, but after you know the attacks they're mostly trivial to avoid. More on healing, though.

Healing (by focusing soul) is extremely flow-breaking and annoying. It takes too long to wind up, doesn't chain fast enough, and has waaaaaay too much recovery afterwards. Even if you dismiss boss fights as not balanced around healing any time but during boss staggers and phase transitions, healing during traversal is simply a drag. You aren't swigging estus for a second or smashing a lifegem; stopping momentum for the several seconds required to heal is annoying. And the healing requirements...

That brings me to the damage system. When you are damaged you are knocked back significantly with a serious slow-time period and all sound cuts out for a few seconds. But everything does the same damage from the weakest enemy in the game to the strongest (okay, some things deal two damage), and zooming around with your cool fun traversal abilities is often a mistake because you'll blunder into a weak enemy, cut your sound, lose momentum (fall into spikes??) and take damage (that you will then have to heal very slowly). And running out of health sends you back so far that you need to stay relatively topped up, necessitating breaks to heal and/or lots of farming enemies for soul.

The other thing necessitating healing is a lot of Dickhead Design. Spike placement is especially heinous in a lot of places where three of the dash that you constantly spam to travel faster lands you neatly in a spike pit, or where chaining three or four wall jumps will jump you directly into spikes. Given how this game's spikes break flow and respawn you, it's really annoying.

Extremely small Thing: Parries. Attacking an enemy at the same time they attack you gives you a sort of fighting game clash where neither attack lands. Cool, fine. But it creates a slow time pause like taking damage would, and screws up your timing if you're trying to chain aerial attacks on an enemy to stay in the air.

With all that said it's a decent game and I'm going to finish it, but man, it could have been a lot better.

bookkeeper has a new favorite as of 19:04 on May 8, 2017

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Nuebot posted:

More lovely things about Hollow Knight; Enemies and bosses get i-frames you don't. Enemies and bosses can hurt you just by touching you, even after they hit you. A lot of bosses don't really have distinct tells, either. This boss I'm currently at will leap in the air and then do one of two moves. Either dash at you, or do an AOE attack. They have the exact same tell except in one case she stops mid-air the other case she doesn't. You want to jump to avoid one attack, but not the other. So gently caress you if you guess wrong. Same thing on the ground, one attack she'll throw her weapon across the whole room, the other one she'll dash halfway across. Did you think you were safe and try to heal? Nope spear throw this time. The whole time, of course, if you time your jumps even slightly wrong you're just going to hit the body and take damage anyway because just colliding with the boss deals the exact same amount of damage as getting hit by any of the attacks.

Previous boss had the same problem. They would raise their weapon and either A. Slam the ground. B. Slam the ground and make a shockwave or C. Slam the ground multiple times. From the exact same position.

Also everything has like twice as much HP As it feels like it should? Even the little annoying pest enemies that just buzz around, and generic crawly dudes that scuttle around platformers like you find in every zone in metroid take like two or three hits to kill. It feels like bosses are immortal until they just fall over dead.

I think I know which bosses you're talking about and I could always tell which attack it was, though I don't remember how. Probably either an audio cue or just the start-up to the attack animation. As a seasoned Dark Souls player I'm conservative with trying to get damage on bosses, though, so I usually keep my distance.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Nuebot posted:

So I'm almost done with Hollow Knight and gave up on 100% pretty quick when it turned out that one of the health increasing items is gated behind an incredibly bullshit side quest.

You're given an item to take to a gravestone on the clear other side of the map from the quest giver, who is hidden behind a completely secret area. You can't quick travel with the item and have to take it to the destination without taking any damage at all. Every path to the destination is filled with annoying to avoid and fight enemies, explosive enemies and difficult to avoid hazards. You can't take a single point of damage.

EDIT: Still managed 98%. Last boss was weirdly easy.

I gave it my first try and lost the flower only in the last room before the end. Depressing.

Probably if you collect 98% of the upgrades the final boss is going to be easy, yeah :ssh:

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

I played DS2 a dozen times but don't even really feel like doing the last two bosses of DS3 (Darkeater Midir and Slave Knight Gael). Like yeah I could boot up the game and work on finishing every enemy in the series but I could also be playing Prey or Nier: Automata.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

The reward for the DS2 gank squad was the Flower Skirt, probably a titanite something or other, and the hex Dark Greatsword (though you could get that by jumping through a window or something if you were crafty). Gank squad wasn't a hard fight or anything but you had to be patient and run around a lot to split up the three dudes. More of a platforming challenge than a combat one.

I never did do the Doublecat boss fight because I didn't feel like running through Ice Horse Wasteland to get to it, though.

My issue with DS3 is its linearity and its slow, slow, slow start. The thought of rolling a new character fills me with dread, whereas in DS2 you can cheese Dragonrider, get some early levels/weapon upgrades and start whooping the game's rear end if you know what you're doing (similar to running through and wrecking Pinwheel or whatever in DS1). DS2 pvp was also really good (best in the series imo). Agility and Soul Memory did suck though, DS3's matchmaking rules for pvp were pretty good.

Content: In Nier: Automata, you can perform a counter by using your evade button at the right time and attacking back at the enemy. Great. It then anime-lifts the two of you into the air so you can sword combo them. Also great. However, some enemies can't be knocked into the air, so you dash into the air by yourself like an idiot and can't hit them.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

moosecow333 posted:

Pretty sure skill based matchmaking for Destiny 2's multiplayer doesn't even exist. My friends and I who basically just started were getting rolled game after game of people who were ranked plat or higher.

The multiplayer map design is also proving to be very bad.

I am getting tired of rounding a corner into a guy with a sword who kills me in one hit. Even two hits would be fine.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Inco posted:

So I'm pulling a BioEnchanted and I've started going through my backlog. After having found what I like in strategy games like Shadowrun Returns or Shadow Tactics, I decided to revisit Mega Man Battle Network 5 on the DS. The gameplay at the beginning was the usual MMBN fare, but then it got to the Liberation missions, and those are so poorly designed that I don't think I'm going to continue with the game.

The main problem with it is that the enemy units in the Liberation missions are able to double-dip on their attacks, since they get to attack the player both in battle during the player's turn, and then again on their own turn using a field skill. The enemy units respawn instantly after they're killed, which makes eliminating the bases they spawn from a huge pain in the rear end. The fast moving enemies are frustrating to fight, since battles only last 30 seconds, and the player has to spend most of it waiting for them to stop moving to get a hit in. It's especially bad early in the game, since the player won't have much more than the most basic chips and the MegaBuster is useless.

Megaman himself transitions from quite poor with the player's bad deck to the definite power character of the group by the end. Early on you need to abuse your teammates' special charge attacks/chips to get 1-round liberations. Liberation missions also encourage use of individually powerful chips rather than good folder flow with few codes, since it revolves so heavily on 1-rounding the enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Hollow Knight is a pretty cool game nearly buried under an avalanche of little things that drag it down.