Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

biosterous posted:

The first Bioshock is still lots of fun to play. but it takes way too long to get to actual gameplay when you start a new game.

I mean yeah that happens in a lot of games, but this is what I'm playing now so

Ironically the exact opposite is true of Bioshock: Infinite, where the intro is the best part of the game by far. The moment you actually start shooting things is a real letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

X360 and PS3 are old as dirt. Get with the times.

Shouldn't have released on them then. Can't blame the customer for expecting something to function at a base level.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

I don't get it.

read the first letter of each word

edit: bleh

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
One thing bothering me about Wolf TNO is the weird tonal dissonance that keeps popping up every time I start enjoying myself. One minute I'm fighting giant 60s Sci-Fi robots with dual wielded mega shotguns, then I get sent to a concentration camp and have to hear about how people are getting randomly abducted and tortured to death. Later on I'm sneaking around a U-boat stealth killing dozens of Nazis like a loving ninja when I get an audio message about Anja's aunt having a DIY abortion of her rape baby.

loving hell, just decide what kind of game you want to be and stick to it for more than 5 minutes :(

Convex has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Apr 4, 2015

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

So I've been replaying the new Tomb Raider and on my play through, I liked that the characters had a sense of history with each other. Upon replaying it though, does it really make sense that Lara gets to bring her dad's buddies along with her? She's a grad student work under a world famous archaeologist. Why did she get to pick the crew?

I'm assuming that her dad was also an archaeologist, then why did he train her to use guns and bows?

Also, Roth repeatedly reminds her to trust her instincts, but we never really see her doubting them.

She's incredibly wealthy so maybe she's bankrolling the whole thing? Also rich people have weird hobbies I guess, which might explain the second part

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

Is Prototype 2 worth picking up though? I had fun with the first game, but not enough to justify full price.

Fun game but not a great port. Apparently it has real issues with AMD graphics cards so maybe avoid if you have one.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Inco posted:

I've checked out replacement dll files, DX3D wrappers, compatibility modes, and a bunch of other stuff, all to no avail. I know the game is very, very old, but it's so much more of a pain in the rear end than the original Dark Forces was (which, for the record, I beat two days ago).

Are you playing the Gog version? Because it's actually fixed to work on modern systems unlike the Steam version.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
That explains it then! The Steam version is garbage - the videos and menus all switch to a 640x480 window, and iirc there's no actual CD audio either. Do yourself a favour and pick it up on a Gog sale sometime, when it's working properly the game is still pretty fun!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

Those of us with the 'tism love 100%ing games and strive for it where possible. I did it with Just Cause 2,

Isn't that literally impossible due to a bug though?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Morglon posted:

I actually like the Metro games but I didn't finish the first one when I got it, only after they released the Redux version and I finished Last Light. You see the thing that ruined 2033 for me the first time around was the crossfire bridge level. It took me forever to get through, I spent hours there trying to do it right only to finally get a perfect stealth run, climb up the ladder on the other side, get stuck and my save corrupts.

That section was a brick wall on Ranger mode, until I googled and realised there's a way to sneak underneath the bridge.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Like a lot of games, development is way more focused on the start of the game than the end. A lot of players never make it to the ends of games, even relatively short ones like DX:HR. So when things have to be cut for time or budget, which happens a lot because games are an insanely huge project, it's usually from the end. Hence all the games with disappointing last levels and endings.

Psi-Ops was terrible for this. 90% of the game was awesome mind controlling scanners type stuff, then right at the end they introduced invisible floating monsters and mines which made the game completely impossible. If you somehow stuck that then oops turns out theres no ending as they never made part 2

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Don't know if anyone mentioned it already but man I hate the new trend of adding additional multiplayer only content to patches without giving me the option not to install it. DOOM used to be about 55gb, now with the extra multiplayer crap that no-one plays it's 78gb. At least the COD games let you install the SP and MP separately so you can avoid all the additional poo poo if you don't want it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Usually if you can't skip cutscenes there's a reason. Often it's because the game engine needs to load a lot of stuff and bugs can happen if that doesn't happen.

Max Payne 3 is ruined on replays because of this. Even if you have an SSD and the level has loaded in 5 seconds you have to sit through the whole cutscene. This is made exponentially worse by cutscenes turning up every 2-3 minutes.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

MGS4 has bad install times but is a good game. Chapter 4 is amazing

They patched it so you can install the whole thing in one go now.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The thing dragging Far Cry 4 down for me is I spent dozens of hours on FC3 and it just feels like the same thing again but somehow much less interesting. I hope FC5 goes back to the tropical island holiday type environment.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Biggest problem I had was that the game carried on with a villain I didn't care about after Vaz died.

Oh, that and both the endings being a bit poo poo.

Second island felt really unfinished as well. Nowhere near as fun as the first one, just a bunch of hills with a base with some kind of magnetic field stopping you flying over it in the middle.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

im pooping! posted:

mgs3 is best played by calling everyone on your codec after every single action, and every once in a while arbitrarily saving the game and resetting the system

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

I should really go back and finish the first Xenoverse, that game was much better than it had any right to be. I gave it up when I finally had internet again and could play other poo poo more reliably.

On that note, any developer that requires an always-on connection for a single player campaign mode should die in a fire. CoD:MW3 is a game that is surprisingly fun and unique even among the other MW games and it was ludicrous that when I was stuck with an awful ISP I couldn't even play single player - any time it dropped connection for even a second it would shunt you to the main menu.

Just set Steam to Offline mode if you're having a problem. MW3 shouldn't need a constant connection for SP.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Timesplitters 2 is too hard on the challenges. :colbert:

The story mode on Hard is solid too. gently caress the robot factory in particular, I never managed to finish that one.

I think the genesis of this was most of the Free Radical designers being ex-Rare, whose design philosophy was pretty much 'gently caress you' on higher difficulties. See the requirements for unlocking the Invincibility cheat in GoldenEye as another example.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The best thing about hard mode is the reward you get for beating it is the single worst multiplayer map in the game. At least finishing GoldenEye on 00 Agent got you the Temple level and unlocked 007 difficulty so you could gently caress around endlessly.

I never beat Perfect Dark on Hard so no idea if that was worth it. The level design in that game really fell off a cliff towards the end

Convex has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Mar 7, 2017

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Homefront: The Revolution constantly plays awful Grundy music whenever you're outside (i.e. all the loving time) and it gives me a drat headache. It's like a ten second loop and might be appropriate if it played as you were seconds from death but not all the time, Jesus

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Vic posted:

Dark Souls I finally gave it an honest try and strated to actually enjoy the game. But gently caress the camera. It was bad enough with the capra demon, but right now im in Anor Londo, the Fatguy/Lightning spear dude bossfight and the camera constantly fucks me over when im locked on because they jump around and swing my camera into a pillar or a wall and im looking at the back of my dumb helmet or someones giant gold plated crotch.

Is it better in later games?

Turn off Camera Auto Correct (or something that sounds like that) and it's way better.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If you have Rebirth+ you can use the " Isaac Item Pool Editor" in the Resources folder to edit all the item pools in the game. I did it and it made the game 1000x better. Never have to see dunce cap, breakfast,any bean item or all the lovely devil room items again.

Care to share your file?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pseudohog posted:

Like the original Thief. "Hey, are you having fun sneaking around, knocking out guards and stealing everything that's not nailed down? Great, here's some catacombs full of zombies and spiders. gently caress it, we'll throw in some dinosaurs that spit acid as well, why the hell not"

To be fair it released at a time when people expected first person games to feature shooting monsters. Also it was criticised on release for not featuring multiplayer.

But yes Thief 1 is equally good and bad. 2 is far better

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Playing Mad Max at the moment and absolutely loving it in general, but holy poo poo why is it normal to have to hold the button down to get in a car or pick up a piece of scrap? Loads of games seem to have started doing this and I don't understand why, it just makes everything feel slow and unresponsive.

I mean why can't Max just automatically pick up scrap in the first place, it's not like I'm ever going to intentionally leave it on the floor. The new Wolfenstein games do the same thing with health and ammo and it sucks.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I apologise that this isn't the thread for it, but is Black Flag worth persevering with beyond the first few hours? I loved Far Cry 3 but hated 4, and the first few hours of Black Flag seem boring as hell.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks! I'll give it another shot and try to persevere through the intro to the actual pirate bits.

As regards liking 3 and hating 4, the latter just felt like a facsimile but with a way more boring setting and the random encounter frequency turned up to 120%. I could play tropical island paradise game all day but the Himalayas just came across dull to me.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

Same with me for Far Crys. 4th's lack of oceans hurt a ton, and the AI for humans and animals was dumbed down significantly. Also the upgrade system seemed far less interesting and rewarding. Everything else just feels like a lower-effort version of the first game.

Man I think you nailed it, the lack of sharks and beaches definitely harmed it for me.

In fact I think any game would be improved by adding sharks.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm about half way through Infamous on PS3 and man that game loves to put tiny men on rooftops to relentlessly snipe at you. Like, not just in particular places but throughout the entire loving game.

Want to start a mission? Well, run halfway across town past dozens of snipers. Then once you start the mission you get to run halfway back (past a load of snipers) to the mission area, which is filled with even more loving snipers.

It's infuriating. Even worse they don't stand still and snipe, they take a shot then retreat so you can't see where it came from, the pop back out after 10 seconds to have another go. Have fun getting shot to ribbons if there's more than one around as you'll never figure out where they are without getting shot at least 5 times.

Seriously thinking of just dropping it and starting on the sequel now :argh:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Ah ok, fair that
Don't you have the countersniper power? Just shooting them back was usually fine

And I'd honestly play the first over the second story wise at least; if you just want pure good gameplay go straight to second son

Though I do still love the twists in the first infamous. They're pretty good

I have the slow motion sniper power yes but it uses loads of energy and also its so loving boring having to deal with snipers all the time. That said if the story is good I might as well stick with it, I dont plan on buying any more Ps3 games so might as well get the most out of what I have.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jawnycat posted:

What's really dragging MH:W down is it won't be out for PC for half a year. It's gonna be my first foray into the series now that I won't have to add the price of an entire console to the game, but man, having to hear everyone talk about it while you wait hurts. Also the slight, hopefully misplaced, lingering dread that the port will end up as a trash-fire somehow.

It's on the MT Framework engine which usually has resulted in quality PC ports, so don't worry on that front.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Retroarch is great with a Steam Link and a 360 pad. Also the CRT filters look good with older pixelly games on a big TV.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Playing Forza Horizon 3 and it's a great game but man the amount of DLC and it's placement in the game is pretty egregious. If you just buy the game itself then you have:

Big tabs on the menu for the two DLC areas
    In-world markers for getting to the DLC areas that take you to the store
    Radio ads for DLC areas
    VIP pass ad on the menu screen
    Ad on the map screen for a treasure map
    Real cash tokens along with link to buy on upgrade / buying screens
    DLC cars interspersed with normal ones when you go to pick a vehicle
    User challenges which take you to store to buy DLC cars you don't own

Best part is that it's all loving ridiculously expensive as well. I picked up the game and Hot Wheels DLC for £19.50 and feel I got my money's worth but man I wish there was a way to switch off all this bullshit.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I don't get why Japanese companies like Capcom, Konami and Square Enix seem so reluctant to release the original versions of their old games on Steam or GOG. I'd pay a decent price for fixed versions of the original Resident Evils 1-3, Silent Hills 2-4 and Metal Gear Solid 1-2 (all of which have PC ports already) but despite the fact it would be guaranteed profit for like zero effort they just don't seem interested :(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah in cases like that it makes more sense to stick the difficulty down to easy. I generally do that for superhero type games where it should be easy to take down tonnes of goons without breaking a sweat, e.g. Infamous or Prototype.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
At least with older PC games the retail DVD actually has an installer so you can still play it without any problems. Newer games just have a Steam key so second hand copies are worthless and sooner or later it's impossible to get hold of a delisted game without going on some dodgy Russian website

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The Darkness II is a cool game but every time I start it I have to remember to mute the TV as the developer logo is a violent screaming noise about 200 times louder the the game itself. Scares the poo poo out of me if I forget about it.

It also can't be skipped or disabled even on PC :eng99:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You might be able to go and delete the video file or replace it with something else, that usually works.

E: or, on Steam, go into properties and there should be a text bar somewhere where you can put in -nointro which usually works.

Unfortunately the game files appear to be encrypted, and there isn't a startup parameter to disable them either :sigh:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The rest of your post is genuine bad-design garbage, but this has a "reason" that "makes sense" from a "fygm" (gently caress you give money) perspective.

By showing you what the DLC grants, in a persistent in-your-face manner, they consistently show you exactly what you're missing out on, rather than letting you just be satisfied with what you've already got. This can improve conversion rates and lead to people buying when they normally wouldn't.

For me, I don't buy games from companies that do that (or I wait until it's 75% off).

Yeah I remember the first game I played that was really bad for that was Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012). You got new cars by driving up to them in the game world and pressing a button, except half of them were DLC cars that popped up a $$$BUY$$$ prompt. There was no way to tell what was DLC and what wasn't, so through the course of normal play you would end up opening the store by accident dozens of times.

There might have been a difference in the key prompt once you got up close enough, I don't remember, but it was loving annoying.

My other problem with that game was that each car had individual races specific to that car, and you were unable to do any others. You had to get silver or gold in those races to unlock parts for that car, except by the time you'd fully upgraded the car you'd done all the races. The whole game was basically a series of small treadmills with loving nothing at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I loved DS1 mainly because I checked a wiki anytime I lost patience with it. Otherwise I probably would have given up after a couple of hours and missed out on a great experience