Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Missing Link DLC for Deus Ex, while having nice atmosphere and highlighting the darker side of the whole augmentation business, plays loving awfully. Unfortunately it's firmly integrated in the Director's Cut of the game. Doesn't just come with it, but is part of the storyline and can't be skipped. I'm probably never going to play Deus Ex again once I'm through just because of that bit, and it's a pity because I really enjoy the game otherwise. I think I'd rather deal with generic FPS boss fights using weaponless stealth Adam than go through Missing Link again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The boss battle on its own was decent enough, yeah. Enemies possibly a little on the clairvoyant side notwithstanding. Maybe if I replay the game I'll be a little easier on the DLC now that I know what to expect and can spec Adam accordingly (i.e. get the drat cloaking system and spend less on the hacking because codes are everywhere), even though it goes a little against the spirit of Deus Ex but eh, it's side story DLC.

I see your point on the recharging but I can't be too hard on that one because I invisi-melee chumps all the time and still carry more candy than a pedophile.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Illuyankas posted:

The Missing Link DLC for Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut does this thing where it strips you of all your spent and unspent praxis points, so you're baseline unaugmented from the start. You get quite a high number of points back while in the DLC area but after the final boss you get access to all your gear and your missing praxis... but not all of it. In order to stop you maxing out on augmentations from the DLC, the game caps it to a certain level and only gives you back enough points to reach that cap with what you earned in the DLC. The last time I played I ended up with less praxis points than when I entered the DLC. And yes, as was said before you cannot opt out of this DLC in the Director's Cut version, and it's pretty terrible.
I said this and playing it I even thought "well at least I'm gonna max out or close to it on this." NOPE. Not that I didn't already have more augments than I ever used without what I got from Missing Link, but come on.

Now that I've beat the game the real kicker is that Missing Link gives you a bunch of actually quite relevant background for the last bit of the main game as well. Damned if you play it, damned if you don't.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just finished the new Tomb Raider, which was a whole lot better than I expected, but Jesus, Whitman might as well have been wearing a neon sign reading GONNA TURN ON YOU. Every time he appeared I started gritting my teeth and wishing I could just get it over with. "Backstab me already, you bastard, I know you're gonna, we could have called a rescue team with your telegraphing alone."

At least they didn't make him the secret mastermind behind it all, which I was half sure was what they were going for.

Also the sudden introduction of major supernatural stuff gets accepted a little too readily if you ask me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You might start getting doubts that you really need such a large TV.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Replaying, as well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

bilperkins2 posted:

You joke but with certain games, using mouse with your right hand and this:

In your left hand actually is pretty awesome. Best of both worlds.
That would be pretty drat good for fighting games. I've found with a controller I can't hit the buttons properly, but with a fighting stick I have trouble reliably hitting diagonals.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Here's a thing that drags Sleeping Dogs down: right at the end, during the final fight, your objective gets updated with "put the bad guy's head in the wood chipper" and that just takes me the hell out of it all immediately. I feel like it's bad form to highlight the scripted nature of the fight like that; of course you'll be hard pressed to find a game that doesn't do this in one way or another but they all do a much better job of at least attempting to hide it from you, even if it's just to keep up appearances. But even more than that, the game spoils its own climactic moment for no good reason by announcing the resolution of the fight right there. "Oh, that's what I'm gonna do, is it? Okay, I guess. Mmmyep, that's sure what's playing out now. Welp."

Take a look at Portal 2, where similarly the very last action you perform leads to a "what" moment. That one wouldn't have been half as effective if they'd put PORTAL THE loving MOON across the screen right away, instead they naturally direct you towards it with the camera direction and previous clues and leave you that little moment where you don't know if it's really going to work/if it can possibly be what you're supposed to do, and you won't find out unless you pull the trigger. No reason Sleeping Dogs couldn't have done a similar thing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Red Dead Redemption had a sidequest like that. You come across a man trying to kill his wife. Because it's the Wild West I shoot him in the head, she runs away screaming, mission failed, you killed her husband! Okay. So I reload, because I need to see all the quests dammit, and do whatever it is the mission actually wants me to do, thinking about how limited the morality system is after all.

The way the mission eventually plays out is they get back together, he kills her while you're not looking or something, and you come across him at her grave, where you kill him in a duel. I thought, you know, if I'm gonna kill him anyway, we could have saved a lot of time and a virtual life if we'd done it my way. Such a Rockstar moment.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At the end they give you back slightly less than what you had, because you gain a lot of levels during the DLC. You'd probably end up with a surplus otherwise. I think you still come out on top in the end.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The trick to not telegraphing your attacks is to swing the controller only in the direction you want to slash. Natural tendency is to move your hand in the opposite direction first and swing from there, that's why it's hard. It's pretty stupid because Link will still move like that so it breaks up that fabled connection between your and the on-screen movements, and it feels like gaming the system. Plugging the controller into port 2 this isn't.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EXAKT Science posted:

I played Tokyo Jungle for the first time last night. For the most part, I really enjoyed it. The concept is interesting (humans disappear from Tokyo, pets and zoo animals escape and go feral, and you play as those animals), the mechanics are easy to grasp, and combat is really intuitive and fast-paced. However, there are definitely a few issues. For one, the inventory and equipment systems are never explained during the tutorial, and so I had to look through the documentation, which is thankfully in-game, to figure out how to use consumables. More glaring flaws are the camera, which can't be adjusted and is sometimes a pain, especially during stealth sequences, and the map, which is awful. There's no way to move around the map screen, and so you can only ever look at the map of the area you're in, and maybe small portions of surrounding zones, or you can zoom out and look at a map of most of the world, but with virtually no details.
Huh, the first time I picked up a consumable and equipment a large info window popped up with the controls listed at the bottom. Definitely agree on the map though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Saboteur has some issues. I'm not squeamish about some good old-fashioned exploitation but even so, setting a personal revenge story against the background of the Nazi occupation of France seems a bit self-indulgent. So Sean's fighting the Nazis because they killed his friend and shot his car. And, one suspects, that's not necessarily his order of priority, but even apart from that: you'd think them being Nazis and occupying France would be a perfectly good reason for character and player alike. The impression I get is that if it wasn't for the race and his friend he wouldn't give two shits.

Even more than that, though, I'm bothered by the fact that Feeling Good is on the radio. It's from 1964. I wish the game could pass that off as a Bioshock Infinite or Inglourious Basterds thing, but it's not a game that gathers a lot of goodwill as it is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FF9's other hook is specifically "back to basics after 7 and 8."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I got The Last Of Us for my birthday late last year and am only now getting around to it. Frankly, I don't think it's all it's said to be.

Not that production values aren't through the roof and all but it's not as revolutionary as all the reviews led me to believe, and there's some combat stuff that really grinds my gears. Chiefly among those would be instant kills by clickers. Nothing like spending ten minutes clearing out one of those huge areas and then dying not even to your own fuckup, but some fluke of the stealth/combat system, and getting to do it all over again. And unlike oldschool games where you die, get sent back to the start of the level, but at least you're learning the pattern along the way, combat develops more dynamically now so there's hardly a learning effect save for the area layout. It's the worst of both worlds. I completely get that it's supposed to make you respect the infected as enemies and learn tactics the hard way, I just don't think it works all that well. At the very least I think Shiv Master should have been a starting skill.

And another thing - it really irritates me that there isn't a localized damage system where you can shoot people's legs, arms etc. and get a meaningful advantage out of that. You could do fantastic tactical stuff like shoot a melee enemy's leg out, disarm a gunman, deliberately injure a guy to draw his friends to his position (the game is about how far you'd go to save yourself, right?), but instead it's really obviously just a run of the mill hit point system. All the more irksome that I'm coming fresh from Shadows of the Damned, a decidedly non-AAA game set apart from the crop mainly by dick jokes, and you can do that sort of thing there no problem.

That being said, when the combat does click, it's really good still.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Enemy spawning is another thing I'm not quite happy with. Several times now I've carefully searched a location, closed doors at both ends, to make super sure I'm there alone and can run around with impunity. Then I do a plot thing and whoops here are ten enemies suddenly in there with me. I'm not opposed to scripted encounters, but with the way combat works, I feel like clearing out an area would carry the same danger either way.

Basically this complaint and the one about localized damage boil down to "it's a lot more of a regular third person shooter than I was led to believe."

Looking forward to meeting rear end in a top hat. Probably, see above, too much to ask for to be able to clear the area there completely so he has no one left to alert, right?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

DStecks posted:

Right now my personal TDTGD is Troy Baker.
I played Saints Row 3 and 4 and then Bioshock Infinite and kept giggling to myself.

The effect doesn't seem to extend through to The Last of Us, which is probably just as well.

e: the real kicker is that the man himself couldn't possibly look any less like a grizzled shoot man.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Oct 7, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I got a Wii U recently, and it really drags Okami down that it's not on that. Here's the perfect hardware finally but no one's going to port it again.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nathan Drake talks too drat much about puzzle solutions. It's one thing to give hints when the player is clearly stuck and to space them out, but when you grasp the solution immediately and set about putting things in motion, maybe you don't need to hear all of the hints in quick succession while you're doing it. "Oh, these pedestals turn." I KNOW. I'M TURNING THEM. Best example so far was in Uncharted 2, when I revealed a keyhole towards the end, and Drake excitedly exclaimed "Three sided, just like the key!" Thanks, Nate, we've only been using this exact key on triangular keyholes four or five times so far, and we've also only been looking for precisely the keyhole, plus it's not like when I press triangle a huge inventory of things to use on the keyhole will pop up and I have to choose between the key and the rubber chicken.

And then you get stuck in a courtyard feeling like an idiot because the only hint is "climb to the window" and you go I KNOW, FROM WHERE because the patch of climbable bricks blends in with the background and something like "oh hey, some bricks" wouldn't have gone amiss during the last quarter of an hour.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 09:11 on Dec 2, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All this just makes me appreciate more how much the Saints Row guys have their finger on the pulse of games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvAJIVSLqK4

With better production values, to boot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It really bothers me that after the 3D modelled beards in Saints Row 2, the ones in 3 and 4 all look like they're painted on. Impossible to make a wizard this way.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I played a warlock in Neverwinter Nights 2 and never wanted to take off my starting armor. Needless to say, didn't work out. (Kind of a bad example though because you can craft any armor into something that dwarfs any existing equipment and warlocks are the god-kings of crafting, but then I never got that far into it.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I swear I can feel my left stick loosening up as I play Metal Gear Rising.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GelatinSkeleton posted:

thye thing dragging down dying light is that you cant perform sick stone cold stunners on every zombie that you see, also that you can't do insanely brutal ddt;s on all the zombies that you encounter. If only it had a create your own wrestler mode..

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Every game would be made better if it gave you the ability to make your main character a mongoloid bart simpson approximation, imo.
Saints Row, bitches

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm replaying Okami HD and it's held up incredibly well in a way that many PS2 games probably haven't, but it would have been better to dial down Issun's presence a whole lot. He's not only one of those annoying objective reminders in the worst way, i.e. spell out absolutely everything to the point where you don't so much play a game as go through the laid out motions, but he's also just a plain annoying character to deal with and clashes with the rest of the game's tone. It's obviously deliberate but it's still not a lot of fun.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alouicious posted:

Her skirt was made entirely of belts because Nomura wanted to test the modelers to see if they could get the exact arrangement and layout of the belts exactly right each time. In response, the modelers took every opportunity they could to not show her from the waist down during pre-rendered CGI cutscenes.
And in the HD remaster it becomes painfully obvious that she has a single thigh modelled under that skirt and otherwise hovers in the air like Orko.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Then again I can hardly remember ever shooting a gun in Human Revolution.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

Can I write hardware in here? Because the Wii/WiiU sensor bar cables are loving ridiculously long.
When I set mine up I kept thinking "I thought this poo poo was made for small Japanese apartments, where the gently caress do these people set up their consoles relative to the TV, the mainland?"

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 10:53 on Feb 20, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty sure at that point you'll be out of the gamepad's working range.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okami HD crashed on me yesterday after like an hour of doing sidequest stuff. I don't know how hard it would have been to give it autosave, but I sure would have appreciated it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Wasn't it GTA 4 that did this?
When GTA V came out I specifically thought "ugh there will be so much invincible car bullshit but I'm gonna play it anyway" but I was pleasantly surprised. They either dialled it way down or masked it better or distracted me with Los Santos.

Worst example in GTA IV, though, was the mission where you have to chase a train and whack a guy when he gets off, and you fail the mission when you lose the train from sight. It's a train, I think I know where it's going to go.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Hell here it is:
Would not have guessed that the Navy has their unofficial official songs written by Tootleg Boy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At some point I didn't even do the stick waggle anymore and just eat the additional damage, because I felt like I could feel my stick become loose as the game went on.

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: On the subject of Moral Choices in video games, I would love to see a video game include these only to reveal that the writer has a seriously twisted outlook.
Dishonored does something like that. There's always a nonlethal way to complete your objectives but they invariably involve subjecting your target to a terrible fate for the rest of their lives.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been playing Sleeping Dogs, and the single most annoying thing about it was the stretch of highway from North Point to Central, where the construction work is. There's only a single lane and it's always clogged and all the barrels and barriers slow you right the gently caress down. I'd give it major bonus points for realism if it wasn't the one stretch of road you'll reliably go down like a hundred times because you go from North Point to Central so drat much.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I wonder if real cops ever experience the phenomenon I did in True Crime NYC, where pedestrians constantly would leap from the sidewalk into the path of my car, killing themselves instantly and tanking my Good Cop Points.
Only in Ferguson.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The key to Shadow of the Colossus horse controls is you don't suddenly control the horse, you still control the rider.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Jesus Christ there's a mission where you torture a man in GTA5 and I had to put the game down. I didn't expect video game violence to actually bother me.
I still think that would have been a lot more effective if they hadn't had Trevor's speech afterwards. It's like they didn't trust their audience to get the point, which all things considered is probably right on the mark and the thing dragging all games down.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If I remember correctly you can totally get to all those places again before the Dark Aeons show up, it's just you won't have the airship yet and it will require walking all the way back along the course of the entire game so far. Fairly designed! :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

A really creepy and weird thing from the comics is that once a Darkness bearer conceived a kid they died. It had absolutely no bearing on the plot except that Jackie had to wear a condom to have sex or (even creepier) use his powers to create a sex puppet.
Even as a teenager I thought that was kinda weird and trying too hard. Then 10 years later I got back into comics, got to know a few authors' styles and themes and one day googled some of my teenage favorites and realized Darkness was written by Garth Ennis. So many things fell into place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Contrecoup posted:

All bad things that happen in games are entirely because you choose to advance the plot.
But I had to find Colonel Konrad!