Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Leal posted:

Also the wiki, you can't look up poo poo without getting spoiled. Yeah sure on the top it says "this article contains spoilers" but I kinda assumed the spoilers would be on the bottom of the page while other info (again, builds) would be up top but no. I'm sure there was an article where the opening paragraph that would normally just say "this person is this who does this" it says "this person is this who does this and they do GIGANTIC loving SPOILER". I actually got spoiled trying to look up where to find a certain item, for whatever reason the location of the item was "It can be found here, where SPOILER". Fuckers.
Related, you absolutely can't look up anything related to Metal Gear Solid as a whole if you want to avoid the big MGSV spoiler. Even just looking at a list of characters you're bound to notice Venom Snake is listed separately from Big Boss. It's a really unfortunate tendency to write wikis from an in-universe point of view that I think it detrimental to media reception as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Watch_Dogs' premise was pretty cool when it was first announced and then it got focused grouped to hell and back because it's a big seller AAA game. The heavily advertised "hacking" is basically just a long-range interact button and the bulk of the game is still car drives and shootouts like in any other open world city game. The tone of it all is all over the place, the game may at one point have aimed for "serious and bleak" but missed that mark completely and landed a bullseye on "edgy the way a 14-year-old is edgy."

However, the LP is great fun.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

A bunch of scottish dudes in their 50s having the writing prowess of a 10 year-old with ADHD who just found out that 69 is The Sex Number and started watching South Park after his parents go to bed got old about 5 games ago.
I think it's more that they're very aware they found a target audience and it's not the same they say it is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've come to the conclusion that I enjoy the recording puzzles in The Talos Principle least. They're kind of a one-trick pony. It's the same stuff you do in the other puzzles except you worry a lot more about timing things. As well as that, so many of them go hand in hand with the platform that it barely seems worth it having that as a separate item.

Come to think of it, I don't think it would have hurt the game to lose about 10% of its puzzles. When you walk into a puzzle area and immediately go "oh okay another flying connector one" that's maybe a sign that that particular combination of elements has overstayed its welcome.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

gun emplacements juuuuust under a thin tent that you can't extract
There's a way to deal with those eventually. And it extends to other things under cover.

quote:

and the fact that I honestly feel I can get through the whole game with out needing anything beyond an upgraded Traq pistol, the level 1 suppressed assault rifle, some C4, the ability to call in more fultons/ammo and D.D. with me
Yeah that's pretty much true though. I'd add a sniper rifle to that loadout and occasionally you'll need a rocket launcher, but the vast majority of the game can be pulled off with that setup quite comfortably.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm playing Nom Nom Galaxy off of PS+. It's similar to Terraria from general gameplay; you build soup factories, harvest ingredients and defend your factory, and a big part of it is automating the processes. For the tutorial it throws you in a fully built factory, which is overwhelming at first, but you quickly learn what all the automation elements do, how to interact with them, and generally how things are supposed to flow. And then once you've got your head around it, you enter the game proper where you start with nothing and have to unlock elements and features one by one, and everything suddenly seems like pointless busywork.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

gently caress if I know how you'd stat that sort of thing, though.
It's become fairly common to say "just stat it however you need for the mechanics to work, and how you describe it in the end is up to you."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Saints Row 3 and 4 are testament to Volition's amazing ability to put mostly finished games together in a way that they hold up surprisingly well. If they ever get proper development time for one of those again it's gonna be amazing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Game's actually pretty good but there's a really sharp shift in boss fight strategy with the last two bosses that is kinda dumb. Jump/dodge/shoot gets replaced by be up all in their face and never stop teleporting to out-DPS them. I guess it kinda makes sense since you have tons of health but I can't imagine hard mode in this being any fun.
Applies to regular enemies in the last two or three areas as well, particularly the flying machines.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm a bit surprised that Minecraft doesn't already have Buy 25 Bonemeal for $0.99, actually.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

10 Beers posted:

I really liked the parts in Asylum and City where a riddle question pops up and you have to take a picture with detective vision solve it.
I like those in theory but at least in Asylum they boiled down to "find the unique model/texture in the room."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Might be my playstyle but Assassin's Creed IV sure likes to give me tutorial missions on things I've been doing for hours at that point. "Edward, come look at this Mayan stele I found, I wonder if-" - "yeah you climb up and do some stuff and dig a hole, wanna see my Mayan stone collection?"

Either lock that stuff away until I get to the mission or just give me the context for how it works in the setting when I find my first one. I'm expecting a mission that teaches me about assassination missions any minute.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

I think you'd like Dunkey's video detailing perfectly why the series sucks as a whole
I'm enjoying it despite myself. A while ago I played Shadow of Mordor and even though it was good, near the end I found myself just turning off mid-game, shelving the disc and proclaiming to myself and the world that I was done with formulaic collectathon climb-the-tower open world games. APPARENTLY NOT

It helps that the pirate setting has a certain novelty and that the metastory isn't terribly intrusive. Also that I don't give a poo poo about the story and so don't feel compelled to chase the mission markers as fast as I can. (Not using fast travel also makes it a lot more fun.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Might be my playstyle but Assassin's Creed IV sure likes to give me tutorial missions on things I've been doing for hours at that point. "Edward, come look at this Mayan stele I found, I wonder if-" - "yeah you climb up and do some stuff and dig a hole, wanna see my Mayan stone collection?"

Either lock that stuff away until I get to the mission or just give me the context for how it works in the setting when I find my first one. I'm expecting a mission that teaches me about assassination missions any minute.
goddamnit

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The promo material back then made it very clear that you were supposed to use either the d-pad or the stick along with the buttons and hold either the left or the middle handle. (Or left-and-middle but barely any games used the d-pad and stick setup.) Like, that info came with the very first pictures of the controller. You were never supposed to be able to use all of the controls at once. This LOL THREEHANDS thing is stupid and only works from a contemporary perspective where in most games the d-pad does only serve as additional buttons. Goddamn kids :argh:

Then again I also didn't think anyone could assume the Wii U was anything but an entirely new console.

quote:

art
I read an interesting book on the aesthetics of video games the other day (in the Very Serious philosophical sense of aesthetics) where that topic came up. The argument was basically that there's no reason video games couldn't be art, that no form of media can be said to automatically be art (but all of them have the potential), and that whether or not you could say a game was art was independent of whether it was a good video game. Seemed perfectly straightforward to me. One example was Tetris. Fantastic as a game, hardly art. Bioshock and Planescape Torment were named as examples of artistic value.

e: this is also not the same as cultural or subcultural relevance.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The recorder puzzles got a lot easier for me once I got into the habit of visualizing a solution, then working out which items necessarily would have to be placed by the "real" avatar. They're still real bloody aggravating though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah the walker minigun shreds them in an instant. Probably sucks if you've neglected it and don't have the upgrading cash handy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

English voice acting in fighting games is just wrong. It's not a proper fighting game unless the special attacks are shouted out in English but by a Japanese VA with a strong accent.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Integrated DLC completely destroys the pacing of the game. It always butts in shortly before the end, in the case of Assassin's Creed II it even goes to the DLC right after a big "right, let's go kill the evil mastermind" speech, and it's always disconnected from the main game's story at that point. Not only in terms of story content, but also in gameplay, since it's usually designed for people who played through the game already and want more, so it's more difficult than the main game or has other gimmicks, and when it integrates it just creates a huge difficulty spike right before what's supposed to be the climax of it all.

I can't even fathom who thought it was a good idea because surely the majority of people who buy a GOTY edition with integrated DLC are folks who are about to play the game for the first time and who are now about to have a worse experience.

LA Noire was pretty bad with it as well. It was already a long and repetitive game without having to solve additional cases that don't even add to the main plot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Planescape: Torment is another one, surely.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I agree with the people that say Arkham City's story put way too much focus on shoving you to the next plot location. Batman's gonna die in a few hours, and Strange is straight-up announcing every hour of plot time when the special surprise is gonna happen. If you do skip all the open world and side stuff and just do the plot, Strange's hourly in-world announcements coincide with your playthrough of the game in real time, which is such a baffling decision to me.
The thing that's starting to drag games down in a major way for me is open world and side stuff. Especially coupled with a grindy upgrade system, and especially if it's set up so later story missions are obnoxiously hard if you don't have a bunch of upgrades, so you can't just breeze through the story. Mad Max is one of the worst offenders, since it even locks story progression behind open world side stuff goals, but I somehow ended up playing a ton of open world games lately and I can't say any of them actually do it well. Say what you will about GTA V having nothing to do in the open world, at least it manages to keep its focus.

All these games should, by law, have a New Game Plus mode, but not an inane Batman New Game Plus mode that makes things harder, just one that allows you to replay the story without having to collect the hundred secret horse bollocks again.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Thing dragging No Man's Sky down: I can't read any posts about it without thinking something's not mind safe. :nms:
I accidentally abbreviated it with NWS the other day.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

I know this game came out a million years ago and I haven't been playing the console iterations in forever so I don't know if this is an ongoing thing or what but it sucks poo poo that in Mario Kart 8 there don't appear to be any dedicated battle stages - you just battle on the racetracks, which is lovely and boring.
Mario Kart battle mode has steadily declined in quality pretty much since MK64, and MK8's still stands out as :effort:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The cloudburst fight towards the end of Arkham Knight is some major bullshit in a game that has otherwise been excellent. You have to hit a huge tank's four weak spots with a cannon that locks on veeeery sloooowly. The weak spots are on its left, right, front and back, so you have to position yourself correctly while it's driving around, and while you're dodging its rotating cone of vision. As soon as you hit it it knows where you are and starts chasing you at top speed, constantly firing three different weapons and cornering about as fast as you do, and you can't hit it from far away cause you'll lose your lock-on. And to top it off, only once you've done that do you get to deplete its energy bar by firing at the weak spot on its front, which means you're going to be driving in reverse while it pelts you with missiles, and let's just say it's a good thing they at least set a checkpoint between the two phases that refills your energy.

I can absolutely see what kind of boss fight they were going for, but each of its many elements interacts with the others in juuust such a way that the whole thing comes together into something deeply, and uncharacteristically for the game, unpleasant and frustrating.

e: there's also entirely too much going on in fights now but that was already a thing in Arkham City. Too many different prompts, too many gadgets, too many multiple press button combinations. But at least once you nail it, a complex fight is fun.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Aug 22, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Serious ending spoilers: I'm very disappointed Arkham Knight doesn't give you an unmasked Bruce Wayne skin to do the post-game with.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Better take off that rainbow badge when you go to the store, and don't kiss or hold hands with your partner on the street. Your average joe doesn't have to know about that silly pride tattoo, either.

like I get the idea when you take it literally just like "discrimination happens to augmented people" but at the same time I'm not totally convinced you get how this works as a metaphor

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not saying it's necessarily a good or subtle one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Where's the hipster who hates augmentation because it's so popular he's tired of hearing people talk about it?
"Man, I was already done with that whole augmentation thing before it took off like this." *shows peg leg*

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

Oif, I have something for the thread: people who watch Pewdiepie and similar youtube white noise garbage, and ruin all wiki and forum resources with their inaccurate edits and vandalism in the guise of an "inside joke."
In the same vein, people who ruin all wiki resources with their accurate, but far, far too detailed and extremely badly written edits, and don't know how to write from any other point of view than in-universe.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah I think I can more or less guarantee that whoever put the word "microaggressions" in the localization didn't do it because the scene explores the concept but because people will know that word from the internet and have a laugh because recognition humour.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The thing that drags down SRIV's Mayhem activities is that it loves to stop spawning traffic, and if there aren't any fences in the area you have to resort to blowing up tiny clusters of garbage cans. That's not mayhem, that's misdemeanor.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

The Arkham and Modern Warfare games have suffered similar - first one gave everyone erections and ice cream, but then suddenly their sequels are actually really awful and jesus christ so repetitive.
I would have disagreed with that until a few weeks ago, when I picked up Arkham Knight on a sale and it was actually really really good and I realized I'd got suckered in by that sentiment.

Bioshock Infinite is alright, you can tell it had development trouble where plotlines got mixed and matched but that kinda works with its gimmick (jumping through parallel universes). My main complaint was that it had much better atmosphere and exploration sections than it had combat. It has some very cool moments and plot twists; some might say too many, and sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Issun is very possibly worse than Navi and Fi combined, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like FFXV a lot but it constantly sends me from being worried I'll overlevel on sidequests and trivialize story encounters to being worried I'll miss sidequests.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I guess I worded that badly. I meant that if I do all the sidequests, I'll be way above the recommended level for storyline quests, but if I skip sidequests, I'll be overleveled for them when I eventually revisit them. I wish it was easier to just coast along and do whatever but at the same time I accept that it's mostly my slightly OCD character traits that are at fault here. Kinda wish I could just turn off the level recommendations. Out of sight, out of mind. :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So in XCOM I just had the UK withdraw from my project. I've literally never had a single invasion or event let me reduce panic in the UK. Every other location in the game? Sure, go ahead. All but like 3 places are at minimum panic. But the UK? Get hosed, now they're dead from aliens.
Man everything has to have political commentary these days.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Stories: The Path of Destinies has a surprisingly fun gimmick where you shape the story by making decisions at key points, and not in a lame copout way where you end up at the same outcome either way, only along a different path. It does heavily reuse levels, which is alright for a low budget game, but unfortunately it likes to play voiceover clips that clearly belong to a different plot variation than the one you're in.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Who What Now posted:

I lost interest in the game shortly after it.
That part is terrible and I almost gave up on the game there as well, but it never really gets that bad again. Unless you want to 100% it, that is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It seems World of Final Fantasy is robbing itself of some tactical depth by not allowing you to change forms in battle. I don't really get the changing gimmick in light of that. Otherwise it's delightful though and should have gotten the roman numeral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Got a mission to do boop beep" is only the central conflict within the character of Naked Snake and, by extension, the whole game, and his actions resulting from it shape the entire series.