Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jastiger posted:

Planescape:Torment: The story is really fun and I really love the dialogue. Its a blast!

But...the combat....the combat. I think I may be under leveled because every time I go into these goddam sewers everything just beats my rear end. I have to run past everything to even advance the story. Wererats that require +1 items to hit, yet I haven't even seen a +1 item the entire time! I feel like the pacing could have been set a bit better if I'm going to have my team die the entire time I go into a new area.

Otherwise lovin' the game.

Are you on easy difficulty level? There is no reason not to be on easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
You could edit your save game to give yourself a bajillion of every mineral. I don't know why everyone didn't do this after their first few times mining.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Shadow of Mordor is neat I guess but the berserkers drive me mad. I like them in principle - they auto-counter normal hits and greatly increase the difficulty of enemy groups - but the problem is that a) they're distinguished by wielding two weapons, which can be really bloody hard to notice in the murky darkness especially when you're drowning in supple multi-colored orc flesh, and b) the only way to hurt them is to stun them and unleash a flurry attack that you will never, ever get off in time if there's a single enemy in the same zip code as you. I'm usually reduced to running away and capping them with arrows whenever there's more than two or three in a group.

I treat them the same as I treat shield dudes - vault over (easy to tap the space bar), rack up a few hits on their behind, hit somebody else, and you're charged up enough to execute them. Not too much trouble as long as you're aware of them in the mob.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Thoughtless posted:

With all the Assassin's Creed talk and the fact that I like pirates, I figured I'd try the series. So I started with the first game, planning to play through them all (because jumping right into Black Flag seems like I'd be totally lost with the time travel/genetic memory exploration story). Oh boy.

It's not a bad game at all by the mechanics, it's pretty fun to play and I like the story. However, it has some Things.

1) I feel less like an assassin and more like an unstoppable juggernaut of destruction. Stealth isn't very good, but the combat is, and there's no real risk no matter how many guards gang up on you. I guess this isn't as much a bad thing as it is completely dissonant with the theme of the game.

2) Holy poo poo is this game repetitive, it feels like Groundhog Day. I'm doing the same thing over and over and over and unless the ending is the second coming of Christ, it won't be worth it.

There are so many of the AC games and each game is so long that you really shouldn't force yourself to play all of them if IV is really what you want to play. Play AC 2 or Brotherhood and then skip to IV, the story is colossally stupid anyways.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

If they ever made a modern one with Desmond, they might have to actually make it about stealth.

Could be

plus parkour. Original Splinter Cell, I mean.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Tiggum posted:

From what I've heard, that's more like there are alternate ways to go through the game, not just bits of the game that you skip? That sounds fine to me. But I did try playing that game and didn't like it at all, because the actual gameplay seemed kind of poo poo and also I think the way dialogue was handled was terrible. I may be thinking of something else, but as I recall you kind of have to choose your response before the person you're talking to finishes speaking because as soon as they're done it locks your choice in? That is just the worst.

It seemed like it would be fine if you wanted to choose the arsehole option every time, because that was pretty obvious, but if you want to do anything else you're pretty much guaranteed to gently caress it up and pick the wrong thing a lot because you get no time to think and react.

It gives you a little time once they finish speaking, but it's not like Mass Effect where you can wait around as long as you want to make a decision. It makes the conversation "battles" far more intense, puts pressure on the player to make a choice quickly, and the conversation comes off far more natural and real. In real life, people don't pause for 15 seconds of silence to decide how they're going to respond to something the other person said.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

J-Spot posted:

I'm enjoying Rogue Legacy a good deal more than I thought I would, but the random selection of traits and classes got tiresome fast. Sometimes the game will just give me a useless selection of mages with near-sightedness and vertigo and I just have to go get them killed to get a new selection.

Once you're far enough away you don't even need to worry about silenced weapons. You can stealth clear an outpost with a rocket launcher as long as you change positions after firing.

You can use the M79 grenade launcher sidearm from the gyrocopter - every outpost is trivial if you bomb it from high altitude, and the AI usually can't figure out what's going on so you get it undetected as often as not.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Disgusting Coward posted:

I bought SPACE MARINE on impulse cause it was hella discount, and while it's a perfectly acceptable walk-along-kill-poo poo game it's really lacking oomph in the sound design. A big ol' GM monster man with a machinegun cannon fighting waves of screaming green barbarian space monsters in a video game version of one of the most OTT IPs ever to exist and it's like poppoppoppop "die space marine :geno:"

The first level you're inside a giant artillery cannon [?] and when it fires it goes "pup" all disappointing. Where's the thunderous explosions and room shaking bass and YELLING? I demand YELLING.

This is right on about the yelling. A bit part of WH40k is yelling stuff about hate and fury and vengeance and the emperor. It's something they did really well in Dawn of War. There should have been a keypress to make Titus shout something badass, anytime you want. And it should have been an easy key, like spacebar or something, so you do it all the time. Huge missed opportunity in the game.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

I thought Outcast had a stronger story since Academy is a bunch of semi unconnected levels.

Jedi Academy has one of the worst stories in the Star Wars EU in my opinion, and that's a very bold statement. It's fun game and some of the levels are pretty cool, but drat it is a lame plot.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

That's dumb. So if you've already grasped how to make a city you're still bound to making cities in a specific build order until you reach those population milestones?

I don't think you even need to download a mod to change it, I have some kind of "unlock everything immediately yes/no" choice I can make in one of the options/extras menus.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

I read that on Windows 8 or 10 it works fine.

For whatever reason my experience was the opposite, it ran just fine on my XP desktop and years later it was unplayable on a 10 laptop. I'm sure there are hardware differences that contributed to it but just a part of the mess that is SR2 on PC.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

have any from games ever made a good whip weapon? threaded cane didn't look so good compared to the other starting weapons.

Monofilament whip in Shadowrun Hong Kong is probably the best weapon in the game, but it's not really that "whippy" - it's just another ranged attack weapon, you can't grab things with it or other Indiana Jones stuff.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I called it a day in Arkham Asylum when I had to fight that Titan, and waves and waves of mooks, all in one small room in a sewer. I was 90 percent of the way through the game and I knew that the best parts were over. I hear that Arkham City is the best game in the series before they go downhill, but I'd like to know if Titans are still the worst.

Also, the gadgets seemed so contextual that you never use any in combat outside of the Batarang.

You still have to fight titans but you have some new moves that make them a little easier to stun and beat. I haven't played Origins or Knight but City is really a fantastic game.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Honestly the "no rebel fleet time limit" mod fixes the biggest problem with FTL, with that mod you have the time to do the exploration that solves any of the other bullshit problems.

gohuskies has a new favorite as of 01:11 on Apr 16, 2016

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Without the time limit you could just build yourself into a massively overpowered state in the first few sectors.

Yes, you can get overpowered if you want to, but it also gives you the assurance that you're very unlikely to miss out on the key things that you need for your build. The worst part of FTL is when you plan for a specific build like drone or something and you miss out on one key element you need to make the build work, and you know you have zero chance against the boss.

I'll admit that my feeling is partially motivated by disliking time limits in games in general, but I think getting screwed by the shop RNG happens enough in FTL that some kind of solution is appropriate.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Getting killed on purpose to create an enemy, and then destroying him effortlessly when you decide to actually foght back, is not exactly as satisfying or memorable as having one tough enemy rise up the ranks by consistently blindsiding you and then finally beating him

I will say the nemesis system worked for me - I had a poison damage javelin dude who dealt a ton of damage who wrecked me like five or six times until I put on a resistance to poison rune. It was so satisfying to finally get him, he was the only one who the system really worked with but it definitely worked.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Breetai posted:

In Tales of the Borderlands, everything after the nanosecond you attempt to go back to a section and make different choices. I know it's a storygame or whatever, but I get the impression that the illusion of player agency was more important than any actual player agency in the game. All you're really doing is choosing the specific way that your characters react the the events that are inexorably progressing around them, and the biggest change to how events play out seems to be which characters are available to form the vault-monster-killing Friendship Voltron at the end - and even then it's largely a cosmetic change. I'm not saying you need thousands of branching paths, but choices that would have altered how things played out down the line to a meaningful degree would have been nice.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it for what it was, there were some nice moments, and the cafeteria/fingerguns scene had me roaring with laughter at how gloriously retarded it was, but I get the impression that it could have been a lot more.

Someone give Telltale a bigger dev budget and the license for Archer, please.

This is fair, but it's true of nearly every "you can make your own choices" game. Even games lauded for player choice like Deus Ex have very few choices where the player can actually really redirect the story. The choice is almost always choosing how or why something happens and how you react to it, but the fundamental blocks of the plot.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah Jedi Knight 2 has good parts but I think most folks would be well advised to skip right to Jedi Academy. JA has one of the worst fan fic-style Mary Sue stories in entire Star Wars EU, which is a very bold statement that I think is fair in this case, but the gameplay is good and there is lots of fun lightsabering of bad dudes.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

I don't remember there being any permanently missable collectibles in Arkham City.

I'm almost certain there aren't, and besides the Catwoman DLC that comes with pretty much every copy of the game adds more question marks without increasing the number that you need to collect, so you can skip 25-30 or so of the most difficult ones and still finish the Riddler story.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

They're pretty explicit in 4's intro that they knew they were softening the Saints up to avoid the sociopath characterization. even gat in 3 mentions that they've lost their edge. the choice with the prostitutes in 3 feels like growing pains between the switch.

still it's hard to not to sideglance at the game talking about the difference between being famous and being a hero when citizens are still little more than cannon fodder

Exactly - 2 is dark and you're really pretty evil, and 4 is a hilarious and light-hearted romp. 3 is an odd middle ground where you are kidnap trafficked women into sex slavery and it's played for laughs.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Nuebot posted:

It always just feels like they're jerking themselves off to it too. Like, everyone I know who's played it loves The Line for that sort of thing but I just can't get into it because the game makes you do poo poo then tells you you're poo poo for doing them. IIRC the developer in an interview said something along the lines of "You do have a choice, you can turn the game off" but that's not a bloody choice. That's not playing the game. Basically it's just kind of dumb for game developers to make something in a game specifically so they can gape their assholes at you and scream "This is youuuuu" to the player.

Spec Ops The Line is the only game I've seen where the "but you can turn off the game" thing works, because it's really baked into the plot and the whole idea is that it's a choice but you just don't think of it as one. The main character accomplishes his stated mission of contacting the US troops in Dubai within like the first 15 minutes of the game, and he could just walk out of Dubai any time at any point after that and call for back-up - but he doesn't, because that's not what he's there for. He's there to ~be a hero~ and it leads him to do terrible things. So I let them get away with it.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I think it would've been cool if they'd left it in, if it was a thing that was in the game before. Because, if it was, I can't imagine that if they had the option that a good amount of their testers chose to walk away in game and then just sat there refusing to play the game any further once credits appeared. I'd assume, they'd walk away, say that was cool and then actually decide to play the game normally.

It's not like people stopped playing Golden Sun just because they let you end the game by saying no to the request for you to go save the world.

I do think a simple step they could have taken would have been to label "quit" on the main menu as "Leave Dubai" or something like that. Something to make it clear that quitting was actually a choice and not leave it up to guys on internet forums to say "but you didn't have to play".

Guy Mann posted:

Like, even if you didn't care about the story of Spec Ops at all the level design and the setting was way more interesting than most other cover shooters and the way that they kept using it to organically split your team up so that you were constant splitting between being rescued and providing cover is like the one time where being part of a squad was actually put to use outside of being a diagetic excuse for a co-op player to exist. People surviving a devastating natural disaster in the ruins of the obscenely opulent Dubai is like the one time that the :jerkbag:destroyed beauty:jerkbag: Gears of War promised was actually delivered on in a meaningful fashion without going full-on genre nonsense with zombies or aliens.

I agree with this too. The gunplay wasn't much in Spec Ops but the level design really was excellent.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's actually really bad. Roguelikes in general have a lot of randomness, but FTL doesn't give the player very much input into what happens. The random elements are way too large a part of the game, because there just isn't enough going on in terms of the options you have and decisions you're making.

If you mod out the fleet chasing you, FTL gives you a ton more room to breath and you can explore and find more weapons. You still have the chance of stuff happening like space spiders killing one of your crew, one of the super overpowered drone enemies popping up, or escaping a fight with heavy damage and jumping into an asteroid field, but at least you never get the "you never found any halfway decent weapons lol" situation which was by far the most frustrating for me. At least the others were kind of exciting.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

im pooping! posted:

Dawnguard is one of the worst examples for artificial content because it legitimately adds a lot to the game. I won't elaborate because if you want to cheat yourself out of the $5 or whatever Dawnguard costs now you are free to do that.

*e

also this:

Yeah if somebody is mad about bullshit game-padding quests, they probably shouldn't be playing Skyrim in general.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Len posted:

The biggest problem with SR2 is if you do the gangs in any order other than Red being last it never measures up. Like there's no way to top how grimzany that mission chain gets.

No, the biggest problem with SR2 is that it's such a pain in the rear end to get to work in a modern PC. I would love to play it again but I can't control the cars at all despite my best attempts to install fix mods.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

dordreff posted:

Similarly, the ending to Neverwinter Nights 2 involves you going underground to kill an ancient evil in the centre of its power and once you beat the final boss, there's an earthquake and the dungeon collapses and the final cutscene is just everyone loving dying from rocks.

If you play the Mask Of The Betrayer expansion pack, the player character survives the collapse but you wake up with amnesia. The most cliche way to start an RPG.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Glukeose posted:

Then if we're specifically working within canon, the Jedi get clowned by robots who are often too incompetent to shoot straight. They also get killed by a bounty hunter whose son would die later by falling into a giant mouth in a desert. They're really not infallible or overpowered.

Excuse me but Boba Fett did not die in the Sarlacc. He escaped, was captured by Jawas (lol), then their sandcrawler crashed into the Sarlacc pit and he fell in again (double lol), and he escaped yet again. He hasn't yet died, the Expanded Universe has some really good content.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

alright let's smother this derail.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

gently caress X-18 and the floating barrels. they're not scary, they're just super annoying when you're trying to punch in the code for the doors.

You can stop the floating barrels by killing whatever's responsible for them.

The barrels are being controlled by a poltergeist, the poltergeists are only partially visible though. Poltergeists are those crackling clouds of electricity flying around, shoot them and they die and become fully visible.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

I really hope that cock lightsaber isn't a Photoshop

I was pretty certain that both the cock lightsaber and the nipple lightsabers were photoshopped additions but I google searched and I couldn't find the original so we can't absolutely be sure.

Edit: Okay this is definitely a photoshop of Lord Nyax/Irek Ismaren who does not have the cock or the nipples:

This is still pretty embarrassing though. The knees lmao.

gohuskies has a new favorite as of 10:14 on Dec 23, 2016

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

finally just finished STALKER and got one of the true endings. that final stretch is such a slog, and the portal gimmick makes it feel very half life 2-ish.

i'm not sure if it's in the base game or if zrp added it, but once i beat it i got one last portal to take me back to the cordon and on the way was the same barn you have to assault in the early game. it felt really good to take out the bandits there with endgame equipment by myself. :unsmigghh:

Stalker might be my all time favorite FPS but the end game enemies have enough gauss rifles and exoskeleton armor among them that you end up having to do a lot of lean/sniping and/or quick saving, and that gets tiresome. That middle to late game experience when you are well equipped and roaming around Wild Territory/Yantar and Army Warehouses/Red Forest is really some fantastic shooting though.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I don't know why but I never seem to use snipers. I roll mostly with assaults and heavies, which might also be why my dudes die to poison a lot. My team is basically just the never not be shooting team. Occasionally someone will be completely and absolutely hosed so I'll just nuke them and anything around them with rockets or grenades :shepface: I am a good commander. Also hilariously, aliens keep mind controlling my dudes only when they have no ammo. So they'll take them over, reload for me, then die and return control.

Yeah, I find myself abandoning snipers in XCOM as well. There are some maps where they are awesome but if it's one where with a lot of close quarters and you don't have those lines of sight, they aren't nearly as helpful as an assault, heavy, or a MEC.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

I thought FTL and Enter the Gungeon had mods that made them much more bearable? I've wanted a reason to start playing both of them again.

Modding out the rebel fleet chasing you in FTL gives you a lot more time to fly around collecting scrap and getting better weapons and equipment. Some people don't like it but it means you're nearly certain to at least have a chance against the final boss, whereas in the base game the boss is often basically unbeatable if you don't get enough upgrades. It also gives you a better shot at unlocking the new ships, which is fun. I liked it better.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

This basically makes it so the final boss is the only actual game-ending threat you'll ever encounter.

This is true, but I think that's still a fun game. It turns the game from "can I make it through the main game successfully and then have an extremely small chance of beating the boss" to "can I put together a ship capable of beating the boss" since main game survival is almost certain. It puts the focus of the game onto the boss and I enjoy that challenge.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Eclipse12 posted:

Why can't I have a modern tactical turn-based combat game with tons of cool guns and environmental destruction?

Why can't I have a modern Silent Storm is what I mean. Why has nobody tried to duplicate it yet?

Oh poo poo, there's a house full of bad guys. I'm gonna lay prone with a heavy machine gun and spray bullets until the walls are swiss cheese. Meanwhile, my 2nd man is throwing a grenade into the basement to collapse the floor underneath the enemy. My sniper is cracking shots at anyone poking their head out. My fourth man is sneaking below windows and popping up to spray his SMG point blank at fools inside. Hell yeah, that house is literally falling apart around them! Bad-rear end!

It's too bad a lot of little decisions make the game a lot more frustrating and slow than it should be...

This is the time when you can tell me about X game that was recently released and is a spiritual successor. Please?

XCOM scratches this itch for me. The first one gave you a ton of fun tools to play with but still got a little formulaic at times once you figured out the best way to handle situations, the expansion pack and the sequel made you do some different stuff and some of it worked really well. I liked them a lot although I will admit to save scumming out of frustration several times. Have you tried those?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I never played any of the Assassin's Creed releases but am looking to pick up some cheap games. It doesn't seem like my cup of tea but what game(s) would most people compare it to?

It's like the Batman Arkham games, if you've played them. Combat is combo-based hand-to-hand third person, some moving around in the 3D space to explore the environment, more climbing around than swinging on a grapple but comparable.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I've never played Sekiro but "Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice" is one of the coolest names of a video game of all time IMO.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When did everyone decide they hated fall damage? That feels like it’s been since like 2018 or so.

I'm working on Assassin's Creed Odyssey right now and I like how they handle fall damage - you take damage, but it heals. So if you fall in a combat situation near an enemy dude, you can die real quick since they can kill weak you before it regenerates, but if you're just trying to get from point A to point B and you don't notice a cliff in the way, you don't have to bother with a save game or checkpoint reload.

Edit: Sorry, I see this is "dragging this game down" so it is like, why do I have to spend so much time running around caring where a cliff might be anyways?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

10 Beers posted:

The worst offender for this IMO is AC:Valhalla. You have to unlock the ability to do a leap of faith into a pile of hay/whatever from any place high up.

Lol what? That is so stupid, the fall into the pile of hay has been a part of AC since like the very beginning.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I know it's a cliche that gets said over and over and over again but there may not be anything worse in the wide world of gaming than when an Assassin's Creed game makes you stop having fun so that you can do stuff in the present day with Abstergo and the animus and etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's happened in every AC that I've played that I've completely forgotten about the present day stuff and I hit a wall where it makes me get out of the animus and it takes me a couple beats to realize what's happening.

And you've completely forgotten who these present day characters are or what they're doing, you don't care about them at all, and it's like okay what conversation option do I have to choose or what interaction prompt do I have to find for the game to let me go back to Ancient Greece.