Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
That's exactly what's dragging down Far Cry 4 for me. I really don't have the time or patience to listen to Longinus speak spiritual crap for minutes prior to action, same goes for most story stuff. Unskippable cutscenes are hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

RyokoTK posted:

Morrowind was never, at any point, the worst game in the series.

Yeah, because it was the best.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's because Ratchet and Clank did them really well. It's a great series.

gently caress those puzzles. I flat out stopped playing the game cuz it was taking me upwards of like 15 minutes for one of those dumb puzzles with a rotating platform and several robo things. Ain't nobody got time for that bs.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

For a second I thought I was in the Elder Scrolls thread

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Tiggum posted:

To be fair, that's not Bioware's audience, that's just the people who are obsessed enough with the game to bother making mods for it. You could make the same argument for, say, Harry Potter, based on a sampling of fanfiction. Especially when you take into account the fact that utility mods only really have to be done once, but each person who makes a sex mod wants their own specific preferences catered to.

That would be true if Harry Potter had Hermione sex scenes in every other convo. But they don't.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Kruller posted:

It works best with a controller,

People always say this poo poo about a variety of PC games but it never works for me, except for Racing games I guess. I recently played the Darksiders action game series with PC + Mouse and everybody on forums I read were like "OMG PLAY THIS WITH A CONTRLLER BLA BLA" and I actually gave it a shot with my PS4 controller. Then I spent like 30 seconds fighting with slow camera controls and lack of keyboard shortcuts and not being able to quickly aim at things. Even in an action / adventure game the mouse makes it so easy to center your view instantly on what you want, or enemies or objects you need to get to. Controllers will always be clunky beasts that I will suck at using. I guess that's what I get for growing up without consoles and just PC games though.

And don't get me started on FPS games on Console. I recently started the Uncharted series and I can't for the life of me get through sections on Normal without intense effort to shoot the baddies. It is soo hard to aim and it doesn't seem like the game has any aim assist.

TheShrike has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Dec 16, 2016

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

credburn posted:

When Girlfriend moved in she brought her PS3 with her so I'm finally getting around to playing these Uncharted games. They're fine, except that I am getting so loving angry at the way it teaches me something and then punishes me for learning it.

Game: Hey, if you see a ledge that looks like this, you can climb it. Nathan Drake can climb on ledges! Try it!

(later)

Game: Uh, but not that ledge. Not that one, either. No, not that one. Uh, no. Wrong. Haha you keep dying!

Man going through this right now. Uncharted makes me feel like an old man playing games for the first time. Everything looks the same, half the time I have no idea where to go or what ledges to grab. Just a mess.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Goofballs posted:

A thing I dislike in the new Hitman game are opportunities. I guess that's what they're calling the ubisoft breadcrumb trail.

I know you can turn this poo poo off but I tend to play games on default settings because normally that's what they're built around. Like in their previous go with Hitman Absolution you could turn off the instinct mechanic but lol good luck to you if you do.

So for example in the Colorado level you're killing some people out in some militia/terrorist compound. Some of them are planning a raid where they ram someone off the road and to simulate the car ramming they have a mechanical ram hitting a car full of crash dummies. But they're not practicing at the moment because the "pointman" is injured. So the game points you towards him then points you back to planning area when you have his outfit and then it points you to the ram when the target is wandering around after you finish a practice run of the raid. You go press the button.

Anyway what it boils down to is the game is really, really heavy on the hand holding because it seems like ubisoft believe the average person can't put two and two together or occasionally because the method of assassination is really obtuse and people aren't going to put it together. Its not a bad game and I'm being a mope harking back to the day of blood money where if they had the same content they would leave you to go figure it out.

Yeah because I totally want to spend my time after work listening to NPC's have long convos and piece together random stuff in levels to finally get to do one opportunity. I play with full assist because I'd like to have fun in the game and not turn Hitman into the latest Agatha Christie novel.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

So I bought the Skyrim Remaster for PS4. This seemed like a wise choice because I played it extensively for years up until my ps3 went out about 3 years ago. I started it up and got to Whiterun and figured out that I don't really seem to like it anymore.

Unlike Morrowind Skyrim is completely unplayable for me after finishing it once.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

Dishonored 2

(this is not a spoiler for the plot per se, it's a nitpicky thing)

Emily's letter: "oh hey my boyfriend do you remember that time I was in my office at the desk talking to the head Watch Guard and he couldn't see that I was without pants?? LOL"

Why did they even feel the need to include that Emily supposedly has some boyfriend, and specifically, those aforementioned graphic details? What is the point? To show she's "grown up"? It just sounds like creepy slash or fetishism... Not on the level of FF13/Lightning/its producer of course. Nonetheless it's still really weird and unnecessary to me.

e: Also I'm super disappointed no one mentioned "whiskey and cigars." They would mention them separately like, "hey I got those cigars," but I had wished they would have a silly throwback to the overly-repeated lines of the DH1 guards. These new guards don't even have a cool whistle, either.

On the plus side the DH1 whistle gets stuck in my head a LOT while playing this game. Don't know if this is good or bad.

e2: is there a Dishonored 2 thread where I can complain about stupid stuff because I'm an uber nerd who has played DH1 over 10 times?

e3: don't get me wrong, I love this game, it's fantastic.

Lol and people still think games should be viewed as a form of art. Give it another 40 years maybe.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

ever heard of The Precursors?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQsNCrKGO48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWzC9R4UBpc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrhDiDfjSLc
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/04/wot-i-think-precursors/

so i don't know if this is available anywhere besides Gamer's Gate. i've only read reviews and watched a couple of videos about it so i can't say for sure what the experience is like. but it looks like if Mass Effect were done by an Eastern European studio. it looks ugly as sin, but i've been playing through S.T.A.L.K.E.R. again and it's got me looking for unpolished games.

I loved STALKER and I thought the precursors was a piece of poo poo so YMMV

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Remember in KOTOR2 where Atton talks about his days as a Jedi hunter, and all the ways they figured out how to deal with them? A game of that! I read a post by a guy who played that kind of character in Star Wars Galaxies, it was lots of fun to read

I too want to play a game where in the first 30 minutes I get sliced to death by some random Jedi because I'm a boring rear end peon in the galaxy.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

2house2fly posted:

modern gaming has robbed players of their imagination

I was bored to tears of SW Republic Commando

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

jedi were dropping like flies in episode 2. they're literally space ninjas in that the more of them are onscreen, the more of them will die off.

boba fett is the 90's antihero of the sw universe. rogue one showed me you can do tell a star wars story without having a lightsaber duel. i could see a bounty hunter game with small scale thugs amping up to taking out a jedi/sith as a final or at least second to final boss.

The best part of Rogue One was Darth Vader and the rest was bland uninteresting characters- the whole premise of the non-jedi movie was also incredibly boring so it doesn't really help the quality of non-jedi entertainment. There's a reason the best of Star Wars media involves Jedi ;)

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Glukeose posted:

Episode 3, while not being good, had a whole montage of Jedi being killed by regular rear end troopers. Some of them even died from really silly bullshit, like the one who got shot on a speeder. Wasn't a key theme of KotOR 2 that a Jedi is just as frail and mortal as any other rear end in a top hat, especially if they can't hide behind a saber?

That was the theme brought about by the game being limited to D&D Rules, not really canon.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Glukeose posted:

Then if we're specifically working within canon, the Jedi get clowned by robots who are often too incompetent to shoot straight. They also get killed by a bounty hunter whose son would die later by falling into a giant mouth in a desert. They're really not infallible or overpowered.

The STRONG jedi, i.e Yoda / Darth Vader / Palpatine etc., have never been clowned or subject to any pitiful deaths. The younger ilk I would agree have their flaws.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Leal posted:

KOTOR 2 had 2 NPCs that told you how to easily kill Jedi. Shooting at them en masse, sniper rifles at a distance, mines, grenades with magnetic targeting locks so the jedi couldn't push them back at you, shoot at innocents, wound their padawan, also being spontaneous as its harder for the Jedi to predict.

My lvl 29 Sith Lord could kill an army with a Force Lighting so beat that!

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Yeah I thought the entire canon now consisted of Episodes IV - VII and Rogue One (I honestly believe they will not make explicit references to the prequels but by the broadest of strokes) the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons, the relatively recent marvel comic books and book tie ins released after Episode VII.

That's the pleb canon. The EU canon lives on- the yuzhon vong will never die!

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Forgot what thread I was in and thought suddenly we were talking about Brexit.

I love DOOM, but jesus the updates are insanely large. I want to play arcade mode but I don't want to download 25 gb of crap to do it.

Complaining about large downloads in TYOOL 2016/7

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Leal posted:

Unfortunately in TYOOL 2016/17, ISPs still put caps and limit downloading speed. Also it'd be nice if a game wasn't taking up 20% of my SSD by itself.

Where do you live, Kansas? Doesn't like every metro center now have the choice of ISP with unlimited data at fast speeds?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Large downloads are bullshit even in Current Year.

I have not once this year been annoyed by large downloads, but then again I don't have 10mbps internet

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Countries that aren't America also exist, sir. And some of those countries have poo poo internet.

America has poo poo internet compared to a bunch of the world! Go to Eastern Europe and see the blazing fast speeds.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Time to warm up that ignore button again. Troll harder.

Average goon poster isn't from a place where internet is atrocious, so don't blame me for being inquisitive.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Hi. Australia, where rotting copper lines are still the standard, usage caps are still ubiquitous (and hit against hard now that Netflix exists) and since the policy to fix that got torpedoed will not improve. It's not fun!

EDIT: because this argument isn't fun for most people, I'm going to risk bringing back the last one and say that Star Wars is dragging down all Star Wars games. It's a shame it's the only one of the big sci-fi genres that gets good games with any degree of frequency, because it's not a very good setting unless you want to play a Jedi dvery time. I want to play a Jedi none of the time, personally.

You guys gave us "down under", you deserve better - I'm sorry

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

The other thing that makes the download issue really sting is that it's not even necessary half the time. Often the vast majority of the filesize is uncompressed audio and video that would have been compressed a console generation ago for disc space reasons but now they just can't be hosed, as well as stuff like other language audio tracks and various texture qualities that you'll probably only ever use one of and could be made free DLC or something.

The nerd equivalent about a passenger complaining about route a pilot takes to his destination.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

stop being a loving idiot please

"Why is every AAA game a large download? THEY LAZY AS gently caress, JUST COMPRESS YOU IDIOTS!"

Personally I think Blu Rays are useless and we should go back to DVD's to encourage game devs to make smaller games

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Thing dragging every game down are the luddites above.

In more on topic news, Darksiders 2 is an incredibly boring and formulaic game that almost made me stop playing games forever. Filled with fetch quests where in the middle of the quest to find 3 people, one of the dudes asks you to find 3 more things to complete his 1/3 of the quest. Horrific. Also platformic a ripoff of PRince of Persia but it messes up actually having original areas so you do the same thing about 1k times in the game.

TheShrike has a new favorite as of 18:42 on Dec 23, 2016

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

don't do this parting shot bullshit and then add content to justify your post

Lol can you hop off my back someday? Last 3 posts all about me :)

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I'm loving Dishounoured 2 but the character models look really weird when they are dead. The arms aren't proportional to the body, they hang almost to their knees and their hands are bigger than their heads. When ever they end up rag dolling they look like that Ronnie Cox puppet at the end of Robocop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip7GGf2_b6Y

Dishonored 2 is the first stealthy game I'm trying to play without being a sperg and quick loading every time I mess up the stealth and it's making me realize I am horrifically impatient and horrible on stealthing I am. 8/10 encounters end with me having a full blown combat fight when the stealth inevitably fails. I put the difficulty up to Very High to compensate for this however, and the combat works well so it's not a disaster when it happens - I might do a sperg run as Emily however.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

Merry Christmas, thread! :toot: hopefully we all got games off the winter sales that we can whine about here!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
whatever they call those psydudes who can deal damage whenever they catch you in their line of sight suck. you can just run up next to them and they can't do poo poo. but even when you drop them the psy damage can last quite a bit and it's like someone tried to simulate vertigo.

Will never forget the first time you encounter one (I think?) when you're exiting the tunnels underneath the mil base. Love the screech and zoom into them until you riddle them with bullets. Worst enemy def would have to go to the invisible telekinetic fucks though.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

The camera in mgs5 is incredibly up close to snake all the time and the lower your stance the more up close it gets leading to moments where all I can reasonably see is Snake's back or rear end. What the gently caress kojima

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Lol no roguelike is good unless you're a pc gamer sperg stuck in the 80's

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

It sounds like a bad video game.

Anyway I started XCOM 2 and I'm not sure if this is a sequel or an alternate timeline. I murdered all those aliens, why is my cool sweater wearing soldier man now an angry drunk?

I thought it was a funny and interesting hour - two hour diversion - I for one didn't get emotionally wrecked by the one-man indie game like some of the others seem to have been.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Dumb nerds gang up on some dude because he suggested having achievements locked away behind a game mode most people never play is a bad idea. #gamergoons

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Resident Evil 4: I cleared the mine cart section, did the jump, I'm at the last QTE in the whole thing, mashed Square like a motherfucker, the game kills me anyway... and gently caress I have to do the entire mine cart section again.

Whole poo poo this part. I never got past this part, it would never let me complete that loving QTE. No matter what. How much of the game was left after that? Does anybody have a save to share? Lol.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

I have to pause every cutscene in mgs5 and alt tab to youtube to view it because loving cutscene counts for the time in mission rating. Time is literally the biggest factor to getting the best mission rating and it keeps running during cutscenes- da gently caress kojima

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Only goons would act incredulous at some wacky idea for a game that tbh would probably be better than the boring poo poo environment and (non-existent) story the Far Cry series has had.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Metal Gear 1 - the penultimate boss battle requires a precise amount of 16 explosives in order to succeed. The game relies on a ranking system (1-4 stars) in order to decide how much ammo / health you can hold, you get more stars as you save hostages. If you mess up in a boss battle towards the end of the game and hit a hostage or two your stars go down. If you end up at the penultimate boss fight without at least a rank 4 stars you will be unable to finish the game. Best hope you have a save you can go back to.

loving 1987 games.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

gently caress one of the ending battles of Metal Gear Solid 2. The last 10% of the game literally becomes a lovely version of tekken or some dumb poo poo where you fight some dude with the worst controls ever (no autolock on LOL have fun swinging into the air thousands of times) and it absolutely ruins the good will the game had up to this point. What the gently caress was Kojima and team thinking taking a "tactical espionage game" and shoving in loving sword fights in it like it's revengeance.

I similarly threw a gigantic fit at the end of Metal Gear Solid 1 where you have the fist fight.

Metal Gear 1 and 2 never had these issues because they were made before Kojima lost his mind. (at least the fist fight at end of M2 wasn't annoyingly hard)

TheShrike has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

Playing through mgs3 right now and I must say what's dragging it down for me is having played all the ones before it. I've just gotten to the part where you get told how to get to the big bad base and have to backtrack - and to be honest it's boring me.

There's almost 0 of that classic metal gear over the too cheesy emotional stuff. Every environment feels dark and grimy and lacks spirit. Naked snake is bland as gently caress as a character, at least raiden and solid snake had personalities and verbally grappled with issues but naked snake is just like "got a mission to do boop beep".

Mgs1 had a story with beats that worked perfectly and never kept you bored, mgs2 diverged a bit but poo poo happened and kept your attention. Mgs3 is like "time to crawl through jungle portion 12. allright, took down dude with bees. Ok passed through another forest. Allright bland warehouse time. Allright dark tunnel time. Allright swamp time." And the codecs are snooze fests.

Maybe it gets better, but for now I don't understand why it's said to be the best?