Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I guess you could pretend they're supposed to be the Florida of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Little warning in regards to that: I've been told you currently shouldn't do that because it doesn't properly transfer to every mechanic, so the day cycle no longer properly matches up with how long it takes you to go through a loop. Using something like Cheat Engine's speedhack function is recommended until they patch in more speed options, which is apparently being worked on.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

All roguelikes start painfully slow. I'm trying to learn Noita and the first two areas are basically the same every time with wimpy unmodified spells, but you have to be thorough so you got the cash to play with later on.

Plus I'm really bad at it and wish for Assist Mode style options
I suggest checking out some of the more popular mods. Many are specifically meant for mixing up the early game and making it more interesting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, you do you. If you ever change your mind, there are a ton of mods available by now and they really add a lot of fun to the game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think that's a Stadia thing. As I remember it, someone in the Stadia thread said that every time you start a game on Stadia, it has to be patched, because for some inexplicable reason they just don't keep their VMs stocked with an image of the patched version, or they only update that image once a week, or something similarly dumb.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I had to look that up since I never knew a difference between hotfixes and full patches
There isn't really one, anyway. A hotfix is just a small patch for a single important issue that has to be addressed right now. Most games have pre-scheduled patch cycled and just release everything they do between patch days as a single package. A hotfix is for those things that just can't wait.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Depends on what they told you, because that's certainly the only way I've ever seen the word used.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

They were claiming hotfixes were basically executed on top of the main code (like this example), vs full patches being completely integrated so you don't have to sit around waiting for it to execute every time. That's way deeper than my knowledge of programming so I have no idea if it even makes sense.
Yeah, no, that's basically bullshit, then. The only way that could work would be if you created a second program that basically modifies the memory of the game on the fly, which is something certain cheat utilities do, but not something that a developer with direct access to the game's source code and the ability to just change the executable itself would ever bother with.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sininu posted:

Some games, mostly MMO-likes have system where the devs can change parameters of the game without changing any code (imagine it's like editing .ini config files). Useful for speedy balance changes.
That's common in non-MMOs too, yeah. Has a lot of advantages, really. Still, it would be read and used by the main executable, not on top of it. I've never seen anyone call a change to that kind of data file a hotfix as opposed to just a patch.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Okay, that's kind of hilarious. Makes sense, though. PS2 games have no ability to install locally, since they run directly from the disk, so unless a developer shipped a game with some baked-in code for downloading and integrating patches on the fly, that would've been literally the only thing they could do about it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

For a game that revolves so heavily around constructing an efficient road and traffic network, it was astoundingly badly programmed to actually take advantage of one when you provide it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm gonna with you there. Traffic modelling is so complicated it's basically a research field in the overall study of civic engineering all by itself. A game that wants to put any kind of detail into it has to either make it the central mechanic of the game or should just leave it well alone, because half-assing the mechanics it just guarantees that it'll be endlessly frustrating and a pain to deal with.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, in the real world we build highway bypasses of particularly busy metropolitan areas because we have found that an increased flow of traffic and ease of travel are good for trade and the economy overall, so I think that doesn't need to be debated.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'll admit and own up to the fact that I actually kind of like lens flare. I think it's pretty.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If your graphics card produces more frames per second than your monitor can display, it makes sure than only that many frames are used. Otherwise, you get screen-tearing, which is when half the screen is still on one particular frame and half of it is already on the next because the monitor can't keep up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You know, I've never consciously thought about it, but it really is strange how difficult the new trilogy of AC games makes it for you to just drop to the ground even if you want to. I know I've struggled with that myself far more often than I think I should have, but I've never really mentally added it all together before. There are annoyingly many occasions where I accidentally got stuck on some ledge because autoparkour just wouldn't go the right way and then the game just wouldn't let me drop back out of it. It might be a holdover from earlier games, where dropping too far actually would have killed you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of which, I'd be curious how other people feel about this: maybe memory is playing tricks on me there, but does anyone else feel like parkour was somewhat easier to handle in the early games just in general? Maybe because it was less dynamic, and handholds had to be more actively and consciously placed, so that there was more of a human-made and human-vetted path for climbing across most surfaces. The latest games basically just let you climb whatever in a procedural sort of way and it often seems like it ends up just making you go the wrong way, and I kind of wonder if it's maybe because the scale of the game worlds just doesn't allow for that kind of manual detail-work anymore.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Playing a bit of Origins and then going back to AC2 the latter felt a lot clunkier to me.
Fair enough, thanks. The parkour in Origins and Odyssey just really didn't feel good to me and I never was quite able to put into words what my problem with it was.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, the "procedural generation" (as little of it as there actually is, with the game chunks being so big) is overall not something that really improves the game. Some games benefit from having procedural generation, but Remnant just isn't one of them. Even if it weren't for that, it still feels pretty tacked-on and vestigial just because of how lacking the implementation is. You can very easily recognize individual chunks after seeing them a few times. It doesn't even really feel all that random, just like you're seeing the same setpieces in a slightly different order each time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

My wifi occasionally wavers enough to make always-online games poo poo themselves and quit, just pure trash design when I'm doing single-player stuff only.
Same. I have good internet, but the in-house wifi is not the 100% reliable at all times that you really need for always-online games. One more reason I'll never play Diablo 3.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

People have accused Odyssey of having that problem and I think the sheer scale of it might make that a likely example. There is simply no feasible way that all developers on that game were in regular contact with each other, simply for logistical reasons.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think Satisfactory is the worst of the Factorio knockoffs. It feels like the game just doesn't get the point of the whole thing. Like that whole "overloaded fuse" mechanic. It's purely annoying and adds absolutely nothing to the game. It's just not satisfying to play. It feels like it wants to be some sort of middle ground between Factorio and Subnautica and does neither all that well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I usually find this kind of thing a very acceptable and flavourful alternative to that "yup, that Lesser Zombie Chicken just dropped 50 gold pieces. No, I don't know where it kept them, either." poo poo that so many games do. Way too many devs seem to pay no attention to making the system convenient to use, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's a pretty great way to ensure that you get new gear in direct proportion to how fast you're going through the game without making you feel like stuff just spontaneously pops into existence without justification. That old Final Fantasy "dirthole town in front of the final dungeon has gear orders of magnitude better than the capital city of the nation" effect, you know what I mean.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Never-ending pickup animations are definitely one of my biggest pet peeves in games, along with having to hold buttons for interactions.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn: the rewards for turning in collectibles in Meridian have been, so far, super underwhelming. Yay, a pile of money and some weapon mods that are worse than the ones I already have. :geno:

I mean, the actual exploration and climbing to find the collectibles is still fun, but if it wasn't I'd be pretty let down.
Yeah, that exact feeling is why I gave up on the game after finishing about half of it. I felt like there was really not much point to doing things anymore, the rewards just kept getting proportionally worse for the effort.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It also gives you an item hoover ability that just collects everything you can currently see in a fairly wide range. Only what you can see, strangely enough - items you're looking at will actually be marked with a little icon. Stuff that is behind you and which you can't see won't be collected. Strange choice, but still very convenient.

Cardiovorax has a new favorite as of 14:46 on Apr 1, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

And that's why you don't sell heirloom jewelry for scrap metal value.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hardcordion posted:

The little thing dragging Horizon: Zero Dawn is that its name is backwards. I always have to stop myself from calling it Zero Dawn: Horizon
The little thing that really drags the name down is that it makes no sense. I've played the game for 20 hours and I still don't know what it's even supposed to refer to. It's random gibberish.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, it sure would've been nice if the game told me about any of that while I still cared enough to keep playing it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It has a tendency to run away from you and escape into traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Every game would be better with rocket fists, that's an obvious statement.