Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

Dark Souls II has some pretty in depth character creation.

And in video form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm6He4jFyP0

This reminds me of one of the few things that drags down DS&DS2 for me. I love the ridiculously ugly and freaky characters that can be created, but the grey/blue/gold/red glowing aura's make it so that other players can't really appreciate my horrifying abomination of a PC. I'd really like future Souls games or Bloodborne to tone down the glow so other people can get an eyefull of the monstrosity that I've brought into their world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

The coin in MK8 needs to loving go, or at least patch it to lower how often it shows up.

This. And also the blue shell doesn't play fair. I've had it target me when I'm in fourth or fifth place. I don't mean that it hits me on its way to the first place racer, but specifically does the orbit animation and blasts me while I'm already trailing the leaders.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Mazerunner posted:

Were you in first at all relatively recently? The shell targets whoever's in the lead at the time it was thrown, so you may have changed places in the time it took to get to you. Failing that it might be lag if you're online and if you weren't then I dunno man.

Not playing online, so it can't be lag. I've seen it happen twice on 150cc and both times it was on the clock level. Maybe there's something screwy with the pathing on that level?? I'm also positive it wasn't me being in first, getting targeted by the shell, then dropping back a few places. Both times it happened I was somewhere around 3rd to 5th and the shell specifically targeted me.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

I think it's fair enough to criticize ME2 from being too big a departure from the original. I liked ME1, a lot, and was hoping for another game like it, which isn't really something that exists. Instead I got Gears of War with RPG elements, and while it might be good at being Gears of War with RPG elements, that isn't what I expected, nor what I wanted.

This is pretty fair imo. I liked both ME1 & 2, but aside from the lore, they really did feel like two different franchises.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Mario Kart 8 why do your battle levels occur on the racing courses? This is a terrible idea. How did anyone over at Nintendo think this was better than arenas?

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Suleman posted:

I'm playing Darksiders II and I'm enjoying the brawling, the puzzles and the platforming. Those are why I started playing the game. Now, for some reason, the designers decided that the game needed a lovely corridor horde shooter level (the Earth level) that is overly long and either very annoying or completely trivial, depending on whether you picked up the grenade launcher or not. Three enemy types throughout the level and the same boss repeated three times, with no plot or platforming included.
The inclusion of the level is just completely baffling. It doesn't help that the rest of the game has a wonderful, colorful over-the-top design, whereas this level is just gray and dull.

As someone that really enjoyed DS2 overall, this section was terrible. The biggest thing dragging an otherwise decent game down was this lovely, corridor-shooter level. It's so terrible and I hate it so much that it almost ruins the entire the game.

HairyManling has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Aug 25, 2014

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Inco posted:

Fishing is boring and annoying in real life, so I don't get why developers keep putting it in their games. I don't understand the rationale behind completely breaking the flow of a game for garbage. This applies to any lovely minigame segment, but fishing is always the worst.

Fishing in real life is awesome and can be exciting as hell depending on what you're fishing for. Fishing in games is terrible, so I agree with you there.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I bought my seven year old the new Kirby game, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. The claymation aesthetic is really cool and the game mechanics are actually kind of fun. But what the gently caress is Nintendo thinking? You spend 95% of your time looking at the WiiU gamepad screen. Why isn't this a 3DS game? Why have a big HD TV if the game is impossible to play while looking at it? I just don't understand Nintendo anymore. Their games look and generally play great, but it's like no one over there thinks about which system a specific game works better for. No Nintendo, I don't want to stare at the gamepad when I could be looking at my TV. This should be a 3DS game drat it!

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

FredMSloniker posted:

The thing dragging Kirby and the Rainbow Curse down for me: I don't own a Wii U. :smith:

I'm sorry. Perhaps you could come over and play ours, then I could actually watch the game on a TV instead of the gamepad screen. :unsmith:

Edit: This Kirby experience has really solidified what I don't like about current Nintendo and brings a lot of what they are doing down. They keep implementing these ideas (motion control, 3D, and the gamepad screen) which are pretty cool when used the right way, but you're forced into using them whether you want to or not. I find that irritating.

HairyManling has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Feb 21, 2015

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

I agree with the motion control and gamepad screen but I turned the 3D off like fifteen minutes after turning my 3DS on for the first time and I haven't (intentionally) turned it back on since. I've heard good things about the 3D on the new 3DS, but the original 3DS had pretty awful 3D.

Yeah, I did the same thing actually. I probably shouldn't have used 3D in that list. A friend has the new 3DS and I played with it a bit. The viewing angle is better, but the effect still messes with my eyes after just a few minutes.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Danger Mahoney posted:

How come the best looking armor in Witcher 3 is your terrible starting outfit? All the Witcher gear later looks like it was made in a group home. It makes it really hard to play dolly dress-up, which is the only good reason to play games if you think about it.

Pretty much this. I'm loving the Witcher 3, but I've spent basically 90% of the game looking like some drummer in a dad rock band dressed up as a jester. Why are so many of the outfits vertical, multicolored stripes?

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not exactly unheard of, in terms of design.

Witcher 4 concept art.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

It is, however, below Dante's Inferno.

The game?

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Not as far as I'm concerned.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Just about every Nintendo game that doesn't have volume sliders for FX, music and speech. Yeah, Nintendo generally has pretty decently written music in their games, but I don't want to hear the same tracks a million times. Specifically looking at you, various Pokemon games. I don't want to hear the same battle music over and over again. Why can't you give me the option to turn music off? I end up playing most 3DS games with the hardware slider completely off because I start to go insane otherwise.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Fatty posted:

I can't see what any of these things have to do with its control scheme. Its a 2D platformer, I'd expect it to play like a 2D platformer.
Sure, but the problem with the control scheme in S&S is that you can't remap the buttons and dodge being a shoulder button feels awkward, regardless of 2D or 3D. You can remap keys at the OS level, but then that changes them for every game you play. Not being able to easily map buttons to whatever I want is a thing dragging not only S&S but any game that doesn't have a rebind function down.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

This is what video games do to people which is why we need to get rid of video games
Video games are fine. We need to get rid of the people that play them.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Also, "that's not the real ending, please pay money to play the real ending ok"
They seriously did this?

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Swimmer Shelby:

"Where do I keep these poke balls in a bikini?"

"My favorite bikini makes Pokémon happy, too!"

God drat it, Japan! These are children, in a child's game.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I'm playing Moon and my Ghost/Poison/Electricity crew seems to be wrecking just about everything in my path. The summon help mechanic is kind of dragging the game down for me, but every time some stupid Pokemon gets into a loop of summoning help I just keep killing them to level up my B Team. It all seems to work out in the end.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

Mad Max has a real obsession with talking about the bad guys' dicks. Like half the bios for the Top Dogs mention something about their penis or sexual proclivities.
Let us not forget the Gay Boy Berserkers and the Smegma Crazies from the second film.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
The thing dragging Stardew Valley down is that it's not on the 3DS. I want to play this game while I'm laying bed, not at my desk.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Losing your shield has been a thing since the first LoZ. Not saying it's a good mechanic, just that it's been a part of the series for a long time.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
gently caress you Golf Story. I really want to like you, but I can't. A golf game wrapped in an RPG setting sounds like the last game I should ever need. But it just loving sucks. The golf mechanics are fine and I really like how top/back spin works as opposed to Mario Golf, but just ugh. I have to go through so much crap just to play a round of golf. Yeah, I know it has Story in its name and it's supposed to be more than just a golf simulator, but everything else aside from the golf just completely sucks. The quests are dumb, the writing is boring and tries to be clever but just fails every time. There's an old man that talks to you forever, joking about how old people talk to you forever and waste your time. It's like that sewer bullshit in Deadpool. Haha, isn't this poo poo when it happens in games? We're making you do it while we nod and smile and agree that it sucks. How loving clever.

Why do I have to do frisbee golf to move the story forward? I didn't buy a game called frisbee golf, or bounce off turtles golf or whatever other stupid poo poo you can throw my way. This entire game feels like it has Dragon Quest style storytelling and it doesn't really work. I get what this game was trying to do, but I don't think it succeeded at all.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Souls games have a built in easy (well, easier) mode. Summon up some friends (or goons, there’s a ton that still play in Bloodborne thread) and just wreck poo poo all day. I say this as someone who loves Soulsborne, but never really got gud. As soon as poo poo gets frustrating, just summon.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

This doesn't work as good in Bloodborne because the system is different, netcode is extra garbage and there are specific enemies in a few areas designed to punish you for summoning. Dark Souls 2 is still my personal favorite souls game for co-op fun.
Huh, I never had much trouble with summoning in Bloodborne. Agreed on DS2, though.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

There's like nearly nothing good about it, it's almost amazing, the only quality it has is "The map is kinda neat" and "BUT [GAME] WITH FRIENDS" if you're one of those people. Everything else is a pathetic mess and a waste.
Overheard someone talking about the game today. Is it true that you can’t play on a private server? You have to play it online and with randoms?

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

correct. you can at least invite friends onto the same server as you, but there will still be complete randos in the same world as you
That sounds terrible. I don’t know much about programming, but is it really time or resource consuming to implement a password system like the later Soulsborne games have? Seems like something Bethesda did on purpose because reasons.. Or am I missing the point entirely and there’s a good reason you’d want random people in your game? I was thinking of getting this for my son for Christmas, but everything I’m hearing about it sounds like it sucks.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I think the real answer is “video games”.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

SubNat posted:

Ugh, I'm playing Darksider 3, since I remember liking 2 a bit way back when that came out.
Yeah, as someone who does enjoy the Soulsborne mechanic, it feels really tacked on and unnecessary in this game. You have two deaths to get back to your souls. Why? So it’s not completely ripping off the mechanic? It doesn’t really work in a hack n slash. It’s a weird design choice for sure.

Square being attack and chain swing is really irritating too. I can’t count the number of times I’ve meant to transfer to another swing point and instead gone into an attack combo and fell to my death.

My biggest gripe is the lock on target button being a shoulder button. I hate that so so much. And dodges being a right shoulder button. I hate that too. I’m sure some people like it that way and that’s fine, but I cannot believe we still don’t have button remapping in all games. I think I’ve complained in this thread about that before, but it just drives me nuts. If I want the god drat touch pad to be my main attack I should be able to set it to that even if it’s a stupid idea.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
This isn’t really a thing dragging a game down so much as something I’d like to see in games with cooking. I’m playing Breath of the Wild and really enjoying the exploring and experimenting with different recipes. I’m playing as blind as possible so I don’t ruin that feeling of discovery, but I did have to look up the solution to one of shrines. In the comment section someone mentioned cooking five durian to make the ultimate health boosting food and I felt kind of cheated that I didn’t stumble across that recipe myself.

It got me thinking how it would be cool if things like food recipes could be randomized for each player, especially in a game like BotW where there are hundreds of different ingredients. I don’t know a whole lot about programming, but couldn’t there be a way to save a seed of some sort when the player first starts the game that randomizes which ingredients go into making recipes? Of course there would have to be safeties in place, like a single apple shouldn’t be all that’s needed for the +20 hearts recipe, or a basic healing dish shouldn’t require something incredibly rare. I don’t know, maybe a lot of people would hate that idea, but I think it would be fun to stumble across the ultimate health boosting food by randomly mixing a banana, an apple, two Hyrulian bass, and a cricket or whatever. Even make it a choice at the beginning of the game. Do you want standard recipes that the internet is going to have figured out six minutes after the game is released? Or play with random?

For a thing actually dragging down the cooking aspect of BotW, I get really irritated when a major ingredient gets lost in the final dish. If I put a bass, two apples, and a mushroom in the pot I’ll get a vegetable skewer or a baked fruit dish or something. With no mention of the fish. Where’s my fruit and mushroom soup drat it?! I know I’m getting real picky here, but I guess what I’m saying is I hope Nintendo makes the cooking more robust in the next Zelda game.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I’m beginning to see that. When I first started it seemed huge with the variety of ingredients. I guess I could have shortened that long rear end post to “I wish BotW had a deeper cooking system.”

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Games with extensive skill trees should have sandbox modes where you can mess around with builds and weapon types. I haven’t played PoE, but that does sound super irritating. Why not give me a small half level and all the skill points I want so I can play around with whatever and see what fits how I want to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Oh ok, like I said I haven’t played PoE. It’s cool that it has a respec option. My point was just in general that games should include a sandbox mode with like an arena and 99 skill points, or whatever you need to level, and just let you play around with any build you want. I don’t want to put 12 hours into a game only to find out that a strength build really isn’t that much fun for example. Even if it does have a respec mechanic.